bike pamper-er

reverse-mounting offset bushings

For the purpose of raising the BB height and steepening angles of a bike, could offset bushings be mounted to lengthen the effective eye-to-eye length of a rear shock? Something about the nature of them just being pressed into the shock eyelets makes me nervous that if they were mounted with the offset outwards, the first time the suspension moves (or maybe just with a hard enough hit, like landing a jump wrong) the bushings would spin in the shock eyelets, making them be offset inwards, making the effective eye-to-eye of the shock shorter, which is the opposite of what I want.
    Shorter seat tubes, taller droppers.
    Shorter chainstays, taller stacks.
    Shorter stems, taller BB's.

rXr
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeba View Post
    For the purpose of raising the BB height and steepening angles of a bike, could offset bushings be mounted to lengthen the effective eye-to-eye length of a rear shock? Something about the nature of them just being pressed into the shock eyelets makes me nervous that if they were mounted with the offset outwards, the first time the suspension moves (or maybe just with a hard enough hit, like landing a jump wrong) the bushings would spin in the shock eyelets, making them be offset inwards, making the effective eye-to-eye of the shock shorter, which is the opposite of what I want.
    Yes, I too am interested in this topic. I have a 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8. I was wondering if this would work to raise up the B.B. height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rXr View Post
    Yes, I too am interested in this topic. I have a 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8. I was wondering if this would work to raise up the B.B. height.
    The OP's concerns match my own. You may have more luck at one end of the shock than the other, where there is as little rotation as possible. We don't recommend customers use them in this setup, despite having many customers doing just that.

Jeron @ offsetbushings.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeron View Post
    The OP's concerns match my own. You may have more luck at one end of the shock than the other, where there is as little rotation as possible. We don't recommend customers use them in this setup, despite having many customers doing just that.

Jeron @ offsetbushings.com

I've been running a Burgtec offset bushing for about 18 months now with no problems.I did mount it at the the front of the shock with less rotation and made sure that the tolerances allowed the bushing to move freely.I also used a torque wrench and maxed out the mounting bolt.

mtbr member
    If you have a debonair can, get rid of it. That'll make a big difference in bb height. About 10% higher.
    Last edited by One Pivot; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I did just this on my wife's bike. I was actually more concerned about the 'thin' part of the material being the weaker spot, but she is a slow rider, no jumps, no air, so I figured she'd be hard pressed to damage it. I would NOT suggest a harder rider do it for fear of the bushing not being thick enough or rotating as previously stated.

It did give her 10mm or so higher BB height which did help her.

rXr
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    [QUOTE=Jason Rides Bikes;13918639]I did just this on my wife's bike. I was actually more concerned about the 'thin' part of the material being the weaker spot, but she is a slow rider, no jumps, no air, so I figured she'd be hard pressed to damage it. I would NOT suggest a harder rider do it for fear of the bushing not being thick enough or rotating as previously stated.

It did give her 10mm or so higher BB height which did help her.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated. Will certainly try this route.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    [/QUOTE

Thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated. Will certainly try this route.[/QUOTE]

Her bike was able to use the offset bushings on both ends of the shock. I had measured the change (but did not record it) so don't hold me to the exact number. Your results will vary of course.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Deleted, would rather not get into it with people who disagree