mtbr member

Reduce max extension on Reverb?

My bike came with a Reverb 125, and it is just barely too long, at full extension, with the seat post all the way down into the seat tube as far as possible.
    It is possible to lower it to the optimum height, but it takes some fiddling rather than just popping it up and riding.

I was hoping there was a way to put a bumper or spacer internally that would stop the post from extending all the way. A half an inch would be all I would need.

Possible?

mtbr member
    No way to space them, you will have to either get used to it as it is or buy another, shorter post.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Since I have mine apart right now (4 rides old and leaking oil and squishy at full extension), it looks like there are three brass glide pins that actually are responsible for stopping the upper motion.
    So, after that - I cannot see a way to shim the inside to stop the post early.

mtbr member
    That's what I was afraid of. I have about 4 real rides on it. Maybe the shop will work a deal with me to swap my 125 for a 100.

The fit is so close. It feels perfect with a more compact saddle and my platforms, but a tiny bit tall with a more comfortable saddle and my clipless. I don't want to compromise my equipment choices just to get my saddle in the right spot!

On the other hand, bumping down a bit after it extends isn't that big of a problem. Do you think it puts more stress on the post to ride at less than full extension?

mtbr member
    A read about someone who attached some sort of string from the clamp to below the collar to limit the extension. Not elegant but pretty clever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. I have about 4 real rides on it. Maybe the shop will work a deal with me to swap my 125 for a 100.

The fit is so close. It feels perfect with a more compact saddle and my platforms, but a tiny bit tall with a more comfortable saddle and my clipless. I don't want to compromise my equipment choices just to get my saddle in the right spot!

On the other hand, bumping down a bit after it extends isn't that big of a problem. Do you think it puts more stress on the post to ride at less than full extension?
    There is no issue at all with riding the post at less than full extension. I rarely have mine fully extended because I have it set higher than I want for most situations. My post is set so that it is the right height for the steepest climbs - when I am up on the nose of the saddle. I micro adjust it a lot to change my riding position depending on terrain and fatigue.

I even change the saddle height on long sections if road, which allows the use of different muscle groups because I am more forward when it's higher and more back in the saddle when it's lower. I think I'm different than most in that respect though because most people I know use only the two extreme positions.

You might find that a post that is a little too long is actually just right - however it will take longer to get used to.

Formerly of Kent
    How did your shop let you out the door without doing a proper fitting?

I've never understood how someone can buy a bike for several thousand dollars, but not get a proper bike fit.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    How did your shop let you out the door without doing a proper fitting?

I've never understood how someone can buy a bike for several thousand dollars, but not get a proper bike fit.

Good question. Actually, they spent a lot of time with me out in the parking lot, having me hit curbs and bounce on the bike and get the fork and shock pressure and rebound settings dialed in. As for the post, it is my first dropper, so it never even occurred to me that it could be too long. I guess I had it set at the right height for me with partial extension, and from there it looked like I had a good fit.

It would have been nice if they would have anticipated that there could be a potential problem with full extension height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    There is no issue at all with riding the post at less than full extension. I rarely have mine fully extended because I have it set higher than I want for most situations. My post is set so that it is the right height for the steepest climbs - when I am up on the nose of the saddle. I micro adjust it a lot to change my riding position depending on terrain and fatigue.

I even change the saddle height on long sections if road, which allows the use of different muscle groups because I am more forward when it's higher and more back in the saddle when it's lower. I think I'm different than most in that respect though because most people I know use only the two extreme positions.

You might find that a post that is a little too long is actually just right - however it will take longer to get used to.
    That's good to know, thanks. Even though I only have a few rides on it, I also noticed that small adjustments make a difference when climbing vs decending vs technical etc. I guess that the more I use it the more I will adjust it to optimize the height for the conditions.

Formerly of Kent

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Good question. Actually, they spent a lot of time with me out in the parking lot, having me hit curbs and bounce on the bike and get the fork and shock pressure and rebound settings dialed in. As for the post, it is my first dropper, so it never even occurred to me that it could be too long. I guess I had it set at the right height for me with partial extension, and from there it looked like I had a good fit.

It would have been nice if they would have anticipated that there could be a potential problem with full extension height.
    But they never put your bike in a trainer and actually made sure the bike fit you.

I suspect this happens far too often with the "AM" crowd. Slap some 780mm bars, a 50mm stem and some ODIs on it and it "fits".

If this was a shop that sold a decent amount of road bikes, which I'm guessing it isn't, they should be able to spend an hour dialing in your bike. This will help you ride faster, longer, and with less over use injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It can be done, but you will need a good understanding of how this post works and how to rebuild it. If you are willing to tear into it and re-bleed the post, you should be able to achieve what you want.

You'll need to break down the post past the typical air seal replacement. You need to remove the inner seal head to get to the piston shaft. Remove the piston shaft from the inner seal head. Notice that there are teflon rings on either side of the o-ring on the piston shaft. You'll need to get something like that with the same outer diameter of those glide rings. The inner diameter you'll use is the outer diameter of the piston shaft which I believe is 10mm. Teflon here would be the best as it will move smoothly and freely inside the IFP tube as the piston shaft goes up and down when you use your post. So, lets say you want to make it so your post only extends 100mm. You'll need a spacer that is 25mm long that fits correctly over the piston shaft. Install this spacer first on the piston shaft, then install the inner seal head on top of the spacer. If you do it that way, the piston shaft will not be allowed to fully extend out of the inner seal head when you actuate the post and thus, the seat post won't fully extend.

This shouldn't be very hard to do and it can be done on the cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laterilus View Post
    It can be done, but you will need a good understanding of how this post works and how to rebuild it. If you are willing to tear into it and re-bleed the post, you should be able to achieve what you want.

You'll need to break down the post past the typical air seal replacement. You need to remove the inner seal head to get to the piston shaft. Remove the piston shaft from the inner seal head. Notice that there are teflon rings on either side of the o-ring on the piston shaft. You'll need to get something like that with the same outer diameter of those glide rings. The inner diameter you'll use is the outer diameter of the piston shaft which I believe is 10mm. Teflon here would be the best as it will move smoothly and freely inside the IFP tube as the piston shaft goes up and down when you use your post. So, lets say you want to make it so your post only extends 100mm. You'll need a spacer that is 25mm long that fits correctly over the piston shaft. Install this spacer first on the piston shaft, then install the inner seal head on top of the spacer. If you do it that way, the piston shaft will not be allowed to fully extend out of the inner seal head when you actuate the post and thus, the seat post won't fully extend.

This shouldn't be very hard to do and it can be done on the cheap.

Great info man! I searched around a lot on this subject and found no other suggestions on how to do this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Not a problem. If you are serious about doing this let me know and I can put together a step by step.

I ride a Swarf
    bit of string between the saddle rail and top tube , be careful where the slack goes when dropped though
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Reverb 150mm dropper just a tiny bit too long

If you could put a walkthrough on this it would be awesome. I also have a 150mm reverb stealth that's about 6mm too long. I don't want to go all the way down to a 125mm dropper post. If there was just some kind of guide with pics for shimming it would be great. Hell, I would even start 3D printing spacers from ABS for all the guys like me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Umm, so just don't extend it all of the way when you're pedaling.

mtbr member
    ^^^ When you want it up for pedaling, it's not really practical or convenient trying to stop it or to partially push it down to get it to just the right height.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Laterilus View Post
    Not a problem. If you are serious about doing this let me know and I can put together a step by step.
    go Iam ready