Recommendation on a new bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

New question here. Recommendation on a new bike

Hi all,

I had a 2016 Scott Spark 960 last year and sold it since somebody offered me good money. Now, I want a new bike with nice geometry and specs. I live in Ireland and I can get pretty good deals on hard tails around 1K euros. I don't mind going back to HT because Spark 960 had awful geometry (XC oriented) and little travel. I'm 43, I'm not going send or shred anything, I just want to have some fun in easy trails or fire roads. I tried a Cannondale Trail HT with 650b wheels and it felt much more fun than my previous bike. I also wish to get a good full sus at some point. Do you think I should get an HT or invest a bit more and get an FS (maybe 130mm travel)?

Thanks.

WillWorkForTrail
    I think a good FS trail bike is a solid choice for anyone who has enough MTB experience to know they'll actually USE whatever bike they buy. Although I keep a hardtail around (it's also a single speed) I keep my FS bike with me when I'm on the road building trail, because to me it's simply a better indicator of what the majority of riders I see are riding. A well thought out short travel trail bike pedals well enough to not be a nuisance on fire roads and such, as well as being capable enough to be a great deal of fun on the majority of trails. Most of the time if I'm encountering a lot of trails a short travel trail bike feels inadequate for, there's a nearby place I can rent something that's more appropriate.

In short, look for a short travel FS trail bike. I recently picked up, and am genuinely loving a Trance 29er, for example.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks for the reply. Bikes lose value fast 2nd hand, so maybe it is a good idea to get an FS, because I will get an FS in the future, I know myself

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'd also recommend going straight to a FS bike. As you age, your back will thank you. If you have a long stretch of fire road or trail where the suspension wouldn't be necessary, almost all bikes allow you to lock out the shock somehow and almost turn your bike into a hardtail.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations? Carbon is not an option for me since they are pretty expensive. Aluminium with 130-140 mm travel around 2K euros? I think this is the max I will go.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'd look at the Trek Fuel EX in that travel and price range for sure. But there's a ton of stuff out there. Demo all you can.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Since you are in the UK area, check out Whyte Bikes and Bird Bikes. They are both local UK bike companies that have every type of bike you could want and at all the price points. You can get a great full suspension bike in a myriad of travel choices for just around 2000$ with either of them.

mtbr member
    I just demoed the new GT Sensor and it was the best current model year bike I've ever ridden. Starts at 1900 USD for the aluminum. I've ridden the top offerings from evil, devinci, intense, Cannondale, trek, Norco, etc. The GT beats them all. Climbs amazing, descends amazing, and is also upgradeable. The rear shock can have a longer stroke shock to get up 144mm in the rear. Easily the best value on the market that I have seen.

2015/7 BMC Speedfox 01 full custom build XX1 w/ 160 Lyrik RC2

2018 Motobacon 2hundred7
    2015ish BMC SF01 Enduro Build
    1981 Schwinn Voyaguer 11.8 modernized into gravel/light trail use

mtbr member
    Nukeproof Scout 290 or 275 :FTW:

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"