Recommend a slasher- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Recommend a slasher

Looking for a mid-travel slasher type bike. Priorities are:

1/ pops off jumps and can handle medium size jumps (e.g. 15-20 foot gaps)

2/ lively, quick and corners well

3) pedals well

I have a bigger bike (Patrol) and a hard tail. Looking to fill the gap for flow trails, berm slashing and jump lines. Ability to handle steeps, drops and chunk not as important because I have the Patrol for that. Open to 27.5 and 29er.

Bikes Iíve been considering: 5010, Calling, Scout, Following, SB4.5, Smuggler. Any thoughts on these or other bikes for this type of riding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    You should consider a Ibis Mojo 3. It checks the priority boxes you listed.

mtbr member
    Take a look at Whyte's T-130, or maybe even their 150. I have a 130 (2018). The most playful, snappy bike I've ridden. Real easy to toss around, and accelerates like it's lighter than it is. On sweeping flow, it is low and fast, super stable feeling, like it's on rails. And it loves to get off the ground, feeling more like a 150 than a 140/130. It's more than capable on slow tight, steep techy ups and downs as well. It's a comfortable and capable climber, both slow and steep, and on longer shallow grinds. I've never had the need to lock out the suspension climbing. Just a great all 'round bike. Great build quality too.

Whyte is consumer direct in the U.S., and distributed through Splitrock Tap and Wheel (an LBS) in Fairfax, California. So if you're in their neighborhood, you could demo and buy it off the floor.

No, I don't work for Whyte.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks - these are three options I hadnít considered. Iíll have to take a closer look at the spesh. Looks like a fun bike. Ibis is nearby, so I can demo the mojo 3. The consumer direct bikes are tough to buy sight unseen but maybe Iíll try to demo the Whyte since Iím near the Bay Area. I donít know much about those bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I am also in the market for a similar spec bike (mid travel). i am going to look into the bikes you are looking at hopefully i find something for me.

mtbr member
    My 2Ę

1) Scout, Calling, 5010
    2) 5010, Scout, Calling
    3) 5010, Calling, Scout

The Mojo 3 is due for a refresh. You could size up, but need a short dropper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've been riding my GG Megatrail with good success, with a slightly shorter stroke air shock (but not as short as the Shred Dogg's). The air shock gave it a poppy feel, around 145mm of travel, and 160 in gravity mode. It's a fun bike, modern geometry. Not a plush bike, it has a lot of support and stays high in its travel. It should give you that lively/poppy feeling you're after.
    The Transition Smuggler sounds interesting. I don't know about last gens Santa Cruz, but I've heard they USED to be sitting deep in their travel (going against the pop you're after). Evil is always a safe bet if you're after a "fun" bike. I didn't feel my Calling climbs as well as the GG, a bit less efficient, but I would say it corners a touch better. I found the GG to be more composed at speed.

edit: spelling
    Last edited by xavierp; 02-19-2019 at 01:23 PM.
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

Knight 650b wheelset FS

I Like bikes, I really do

mtbr member
    Kona Process 153 SE or 134 SE. This is the older geometry of the Process being sold until gone. You may even be able to get a killer deal on one since Kona will discontinue these models middle of this year.

I'm with stupid
    Canfield Riot....

Thread closed

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Helpful info so far. Let me add this to the discussion - 29 vs 27.5? Iím open to either, but the only 29er Iíve ridden extensively is my hardtail. Iím concerned that a 29er wonít be as easy to throw around or tweak out in the air. So for my criteria 1 & 2 Iím assuming a 27.5 is better but the 29er probably pedals better (which is my lowest priority).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samo831 View Post
    ...a 29er wonít be as easy to throw around or tweak out in the air...
    That's kinda been the general consensus, but, I personally believe the specific bike's geometry and size might throw that out the window in some cases. For me, at 5'-10", 27.5 on a medium suits me well. At my height and frame size requirement, I haven't found a "playful" 29er. That's not to say someone over 6' on a large or XL frame with 29's doesn't find it playful. As for geometry... I like a longer reach (via longer top tube) and short chain stays. I feel that combo contributes a lot to making it easy to toss a bike around.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Up In Smoke
    1/ pops off jumps and can handle medium size jumps (e.g. 15-20 foot gaps)
    You call those medium sized jumps?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Canfield Riot....

Thread closed
    Second this statement. I can pop off roots and rocks like its a 120mm bike. But its 140mm coil. Cuts and carves twisty singletrack (Devinci Atlas wad great too) but can handle chunk when things get serious.

mtbr member
    Banshee Spitfire. Run it in the low position and a 140mm fork.

mtbr member
    Norco Sight in 27.5, just to add a different option. My 29er version loves to fly off trail features and was perfectly suited to Galbraith Mtn in Bellingham and the flow trails at Whistler; the smaller wheeled one would be even more playful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    You call those medium sized jumps?
    Ha ha - well Iíve been watching darkfest clips all week so I was feeling like maybe I should even call them small.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Second this statement. I can pop off roots and rocks like its a 120mm bike. But its 140mm coil. Cuts and carves twisty singletrack (Devinci Atlas wad great too) but can handle chunk when things get serious.
    I donít see the riot on their site. Is it discontinued? My hardtail is the EPO and I like it s lot.

mtbr member
    Take riot and spell it backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I donít see the riot on their site. Is it discontinued? My hardtail is the EPO and I like it s lot.

Like above they call it Toir now for some legal issue.