Rear shock stroke length.- Mtbr.com
    Crash Test Dummy

Rear shock stroke length.

Hey guys, I have a 2019 Cannondale Bad Habit 2 that I'm looking to replace the rear shock for something a little beefier. The question I have is: Can I use a shock that has a slightly longer stroke length?

The shock that came with the bike is a 210mm x 50mm. Normally I would just get the exact same measurements and be done with it. However I have available to me at a very very good price a 210mm x 55m shock.

The eye to eye measurement is the same, but the stroke is 5mm longer at 55mm. Since the eye to eye is the same it won't throw off my geometry right? Will adding 5mm to stroke compromise anything else other than give me just a bit more travel?

From what I can see by looking with my rear suspension it doesn't look like adding 5mm stroke will cause the rear tire to impact the seat tube or anything else. Just not sure if there is something else I'm not considering?

mtbr member
    It should be OK provided it didn't let the frame or tire bottom out on anything. Easiest way to check is see how much room you have at the moment with no air in the shock, then maybe remove the shock to see what happens if the linkage can move another 5mm more.

Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    It should be OK provided it didn't let the frame or tire bottom out on anything. Easiest way to check is see how much room you have at the moment with no air in the shock, then maybe remove the shock to see what happens if the linkage can move another 5mm more.
    I let all the air out of my current shock (Fox DPS EVOL) and compressed the suspension fully and it looks like I have about an inch of clearance before the rear linkage touches the frame.

I guess a better question is, do you think 5mm extra stroke will translate to 3/4 an inch rear travel?

mtbr member
    Travel will increase to 143mm if it was 130mm to begin with.

mtbr member
    Don't forget there is a rubber bumper in the shock that will further compress under a big hit, so you need some clearance to allow for that.
    What, me worry?

Crash Test Dummy
    Thanks for the input guys. I decided to just not chance it and spent the extra money on an exact measurement replacement rear shock.