Rear partner for Minion DHF- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Rear partner for Minion DHF

2016 specialized Enduro 29er, Trail & AM riding style. No wet and no mud.
    Minion DHF is up front.

Which option is better on the rear:
    1. Minion DHR II
    2. Aggressor

I'v read good reviews about the Aggressor as a rear tire.
    Has anyone try them both on the rear and can share some impressions?

Thx

Mo.

mtbr member
    I've ridden both on the rear. Started with a dhr 2 then switched to the aggressor. I think the aggressor is a much better dry weather tire. It brakes in a straighter line, is faster rolling, and corners about the same. It does fill with mud quickly compared to the DHR 2 if you do ever get out in the wet. In the dry Colorado front range the aggressor is the rear tire of choice for aggressive riders.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    2015ish BMC SF01 Enduro Build
    1981 Schwinn Voyaguer 11.8 modernized into gravel/light trail use

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Aggressor. Faster rolling and more grip in the corners.
    BTDT

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What size Aggressor are you guys using on what width rims? I'm curious how the 2.3 and 2.5WT compare in width to a 2.5WT DHF. It's interesting that the DHR2 and Aggressor are both rear tires, but the DHR comes in 2.3/2.4WT sizes while the Aggressor comes in 2.3/2.5WT.

mtbr member
    I think that's because the DHR2 has more grip and rolls slower than the Aggressor. A 2.5 DHR2 may be too sluggish for DH/enduro racing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So, to go with a 2.5WT DHF up front on i30 rims, 2.3 or 2.5WT Aggressor? 2.3s are $29.99 on CRC right now and I'm cheap to a fault sometimes

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm probably gonna get shit for this, but that's fine:

Don't run Maxxis tires. They're the most overrated tire out there. They just come out of the CST factory. If you get a great price, sure, go ahead. But don't pay much for them. Try WTBs offerings, or spend $10 extra and get some Schwalbes. Another idea is to give the new Contis aside. They've totally revamped their tires, fixed all the problems and still come with the best rubber around (Black Chili.) I haven't ridden them yet, just seen them when the rep cam through, but I would be really surprised if they didn't measure up. They also have a sweet $40 tubeless offering that, if you're on a budget, looks like a great option.

That being said, I still have plenty of Maxxis in my garage. I won't buy them, but they do come stock on lots of builds, and I'm not saying to toss them or even sell them. I just feel the need to urge people not to spend their hard earned cash on them (like e13, among others, if you've seen my other posts.) Not trying to be a buzzkill, genuinely trying to help out.

Now, to respond to the OP - if you already have a DHF, try a WTB trail boss, a Schwalbes Hans Dampf (the new ones, not the old ones), or a Nobby Nic. Or just run another DHF (dhf/dhf is not a bad combo.) Imo, the Aggressor is wayyy over hyped. Only run them if they're free or stupidly cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    So, to go with a 2.5WT DHF up front on i30 rims, 2.3 or 2.5WT Aggressor? 2.3s are $29.99 on CRC right now and I'm cheap to a fault sometimes
    So I have the 2.3 on i30 rims and it rolls really well and has enough grip for regular trail riding. It is pretty square though and not the highest volume tire. It feels pretty harsh on my hardtail compared to other 2.25-2.35 tires I've ran on other hardtails (aka I'm not sure if it's the tire or this particular frame) so I just ordered a 2.6 tire for the rear. I haven't ridden the 2.5 Aggressor enough to comment. I know there's another thread on the subject in the wheels & tires subforum.

mtbr member
    I run just about anything on the rear with a DHF2.5WT up front. Rear has been ikon, ardent, and recently an e13 trs.

mtbr member
    My vote is aggressor but if your considering others than for dry riding i would also consider the SS minion. Grip whee you need it (corner knobs) fast on the straightline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I actually regularity use both those tires on the rear of my own enduro bike (Firebird 29) depending on where i'm going (they are on two separate sets of wheels in case you are wondering!).

The Agressor will roll better for sure, but I find it to be very "scary" on steeper descents even when it's dry - when things get a little sandy or loose on descents, the Agressors will just not brake properly.

My personal favorite combination for what you are looking for is DHF for both front and rear.

mtbr member
    For me the dhr2 3c exo 2.3 is the perfect compliment to the dhf 2.3.
    I have raced XC to 3rd place in my division on a 180mm/165mm 27.5 enduro bike amongst whippet 29er xc racers and can keep up and even go faster than some of buddies on their DH bikes smashing gnarly double black dh runs on the same bike tyre combo!

Its truelly and awesome tyre combo!

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    If you have i30 rims, you can easily go with the 2.5WT tires. I have i29 rims, and I have the DHR 2.4WT on the rear. (should have gone 2.5WT) Tire maintains a good shape on that size rim.
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

Alpine Rider (Italy)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoelB View Post
    The Agressor will roll better for sure, but I find it to be very "scary" on steeper descents even when it's dry - when things get a little sandy or loose on descents, the Agressors will just not brake properly.
    +1
    maxxis is right: "The Aggressor is designed for high-speed modern mountain bike trails..".
    for slow , steep natural paths it's not the best choice.

Dream it, Do it.
    I wasn't that impressed with the Aggressor versus a DH-R. It doesn't roll noticeably faster than the DH-R, and it definitely does not brake as well as the DH-R. To me, the DH-R rolls surprisingly well for how much traction it has.

For a tire that is faster rolling, I might suggest a Schwalbe Nobby Nic as a rear tire though those will not corner or brake as well as the DH-R.

Here's a comparison of the DH-R versus the Nobby Nic as a rear tire: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...tcherpurgatory
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have used both the DHR2 and Aggressor (2.5WT, the 2.3 is crap for gravity riding) in dry weather.

For racing the odd enduro or DH race, I would put on the Aggressor at the back. On a 4 minute track, the difference is approximately 5 seconds, give or take.

For doing blind racing (no track reading or practice) I would turn to the DHR2. DHR2 is a far safer tire for unfamiliar trails and can still be useful even with some rain.

When it gets wet and muddy, I use Magic Marys front and back (mud spikes are unavailable where I live).

mtbr member
    No love for the High Roller as a rear, perhaps as something in between the DHR and Aggressor in terms of grip-to-rolling resistance?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I wasn't that impressed with the Aggressor versus a DH-R. It doesn't roll noticeably faster than the DH-R, and it definitely does not brake as well as the DH-R. To me, the DH-R rolls surprisingly well for how much traction it has.

For a tire that is faster rolling, I might suggest a Schwalbe Nobby Nic as a rear tire though those will not corner or brake as well as the DH-R.

Here's a comparison of the DH-R versus the Nobby Nic as a rear tire: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...tcherpurgatory
    Thx Spectre

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    No love for the High Roller as a rear, perhaps as something in between the DHR and Aggressor in terms of grip-to-rolling resistance?
    With the DH-R available, I personally don't see the value of riding the High Roller. I think of it as the NonRoller given how slowly it rolls in our local terrain. I will say though that it seems to roll much better on sandy, desert trails.

Some more detailed impressions of the High Roller (at least on PNW trails): https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...oto-hans-dampf
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wild rock'r2. The WR2 matches really well with the DHF mostly because they both have defined drift zones, and blocky supportive shoulder lugs that hold on dry hard with no squirmy feel. The center lugs are heavily siped providing tons of climbing and braking traction. They are closely spaced enough to keep rolling speed similar to DHF and not squirm on hard serfaces lugs can't penetrate.

I've been running them front and rear lately, but mostly rear paired with DHF or DHR. Casing and compounds are some of the best in the business. They are dry specific tires that don't handle mud well. Thye are tailor made for dry rocky terrain. Not sure if they are too heavy for you? They are made for aggressive riders that will pinch exo style casings. Casing is similar to double down for referance.