bikerbert

Race Face Chester Nylon Composite Pedals

What are people's thoughts on these? They aren't that much and look good on the surface. What about the nylon composite material? How durable is that for general XC riding?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    not sure about those pedals but i got these for $20. theyre super comfortable, good grip (wearing reg Vans), solid build and i love that theres no bearings in them, only bushings. they weigh around 327g. ive had them for about 6 months and beat on them hard. theyre good as new. my old pedals were Shimano Saints (dont miss them). ill be buying these dmrs again when they wear out.

theyre dmr v6 pedals. their sites currently down, its been hacked

Search Results | Shop Now at Worldwide Cyclery

mtbr member
    Chesters look like great pedals.
    Riding buddy picked up a set.
    Been out on a few rides with him so far.
    Smooth bearings.
    Nice platform.
    Replaceable pins.
    Supposedly fully rebuildable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm on Saints right now and wondering what I'll replace them with... no complaints now except the weight. I've had some SERIOUSLY hard pedal strikes that I have a hard time believing anything but a steel pedal would survive. Like so hard my leg went numb for about a minute.

Life Is Short
    I bought 3 sets---even one for my gravel bike (blue) One's on a Stinky (red)...I 've had them for a month now, didnt hit any big rocks yet but 54.99 MSRP its doable. I asked for a break since I bought 3, my LBS said why not. Feels like hard plastic but harder. Everything on it is replaceable too, Raceface made a good product.

BTW--I would have gotten all black ones bu they're back ordered until the end of Feb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race Face Chester Nylon Composite Pedals-dsc06659.jpg  

Race Face Chester Nylon Composite Pedals-sslskkwk.jpg  

Cheap people buy things twice

bikerbert
    Those look pretty sweet. I like the blue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Do you know how much they weigh?
    "you must do what you feel is right of course"

Danger Zone
    I use Deity Compound pedals. Very similar to the ones you've posted, but I think they look a little nicer. They are very durable. Worst thing I could see happening to them is one of the pins snapping, in which case they are easily replaceable.

Deity Compound Pedals > Components > Pedals > Platform Pedals | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    I looked at these briefly for my fatty. I also looked at the Deity pedals, fyxation mesa w/ removable pins, Nukeproof Electron evo and Horizon pedals. I ended up purchasing some Wellgo mg5s. I'm still interested in the nylon pedals, but the price for the mg5s and the weight at 300g was just too good for me. I think the Nukeproof had the better bearings among the nylon options, but the Fyxations were recommended. I've never had an issue with my RF stuff, I don't think you would go wrong with the Chesters.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxrextreme View Post
    Do you know how much they weigh?
    340g according to the RF website.

Race Face

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looking at these, may grab a set for an alt set of pedals for my AMHT when I don't ride it clipless.

36 styles of danger
    I haven't used the Chester pedals but I have used two sets of Deity Compounds over a couple of years and I really like them.

After a couple years of kicking the crap out of nylon pedals here in AZ (big rocks, small rocks, sharp rocks, round rocks - you name it) I wouldn't hesitate to put them on my bike again.

The nylon is nice for sliding off of obstacles and I think I only lost a single pin between both pairs due to the pin base being pushed sideways a bit by a rock strike (a pretty hard one IIRC).

The pin and pin body It didn't break through the pedal body but just pointed itself down a bit at an angle relative to the normal 90 degree orientation to the pedal bed.

The Chester is similar to the Compound and weight on my unofficial scale for Compound is 339g for a pair vs 430g for a pair of Spank Spikes.

Nylon pedals are pretty nifty if you want to give them a whirl.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I bought an orange pair for my Santa Cruz Tallboy, so far I love them. A friend recommended them to me and they are pretty light, grippy and durable. Most pedals in this price point weigh twice as much and don't have as wide a platform (and are much bulkier...these things are pretty damn thin). They look and feel like $150 dollar pedals. The guy at the bike store said he's having a hard time selling his more expensive pedals because of these things.

mtbr member
    I've got a pair of blue ones on my Nimble 9 paired with some 5.10 shoes. Transitioned to the flats after riding clipless for almost 20 years. Have to say I'm pretty happy with the setup and haven't had any complaints even with a few pedal strikes here and there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got some riding time in on mine, great pedal, but if you have a large foot (12 here) they feel a bit small. Before long I'll just grab another set of spank spikes

mtbr member
    I tried out a pair of Chester's a couple days ago and they were way too gripy for me.
    Like wherever my foot set I couldn't move it to the efficient centerpoint that i am used to when riding clipped in. When I did finally get my feet put where i wanted then i was not able to pivot them to apply english which was my main reason for giving flat pedals a shot.

The screws on these pedals are pretty sharp as the threads go to the unfinished tip. I'm gonna go at them with with a file and/or dremel to chamfer the edges a bit and see if that helps.

If not then maybe i'll give those dmr v6 pedals a shot as the composite grip nubs look like they will better fit the rideability I desire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Are these any different from the other composite pedals out there ? Like the Nukeprof ones ? Nukeproof Neutron EVO (Electron EVO) Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    At 354g/pair they seem too good to be true

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperDom View Post
    I tried out a pair of Chester's a couple days ago and they were way too gripy for me.
    Like wherever my foot set I couldn't move it to the efficient centerpoint that i am used to when riding clipped in. When I did finally get my feet put where i wanted then i was not able to pivot them to apply english which was my main reason for giving flat pedals a shot.

The screws on these pedals are pretty sharp as the threads go to the unfinished tip. I'm gonna go at them with with a file and/or dremel to chamfer the edges a bit and see if that helps.

If not then maybe i'll give those dmr v6 pedals a shot as the composite grip nubs look like they will better fit the rideability I desire.
    They are very grippy, you described it perfectly. I've gotten used to them and on the easier parts of the trail I'll adjust my feet knowing I won't be able to move them once the going gets rough. I'm sure with the amount of pedal strikes I get that I won't have to worry about filing the screws down (low bottom bracket bike). But I like them, the extra grip is something some people strive for in a platform pedal, and with a little adjustment it has its advantages.

mtbr member
    Chesters are great. With Five Ten shoes they are so solid your foot won't move even when wet and Muddy. Like the other dude said, wait for a break in the action and readjust. I honestly can't believe people spend $100+ on pedals. I've had mine 8 months / 600 miles

Pastafarian
    Just put a set on my fat bike. Like them so much I'll probably get a set for my trail bike once the alloy pedals I have now lose a few more pins.

mtbr member
    I put the Mg5s away and got a pair of these. Very happy with them so far.

mtbr member
    Probably the downsides would be, could break more easily, they seem small and they are not very thin, but overall a good value pedal.

I know Canfield crampon pedals are pricey but I really love mine and they are worth every penny...I paid over 5k for my bike so whats another 180 bucks...lol
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

Interplanetary Traveler
    I have Chesters on 3 different bikes. I have not had a single problem. Lightweight, super grippy, and not too expensive. I bought extra pins but I have never had to replace one. There is about 1500 miles total between all 3 sets.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    +1 for chesters. I have them on 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    2 pairs here. So far so good, specially for the price paid.

mtbr member
    WOW, thank you all for the great info! Glad I found this thread, been doing tons of research on which pedals to go with, Nylon or Aluminum for my first upgrade...now going to run with Nylon first and see how they do....just gotta figure out which ones, RF or Deity. Thanks again all! :-)

Danger Zone
    To update my previous post, my set of Deity Compound pedals are almost 2 years old now and still no signs of anything needing to be serviced or replaced. I ride several times per week on very rocky trails and regularly smash them into things but still haven't broken the pedals or lost any pins.

IMO can't get much better than that for under $50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    To update my previous post, my set of Deity Compound pedals are almost 2 years old now and still no signs of anything needing to be serviced or replaced. I ride several times per week on very rocky trails and regularly smash them into things but still haven't broken the pedals or lost any pins.

IMO can't get much better than that for under $50.
    Awesome, thanks for the update....looking at those VERY closely!

mtbr member
    The Chesters are a real bargin. I beat the piss out of mine and they are still 100%.. I really dont understand why anyone would be so obsessed with the weight of these vs. any other nylon pedal. How much lighter do you want? They are measured in grams for $%&*'s sake. I also agree that with $50 pedals that are high quality, grippy as sin, and can take a beating..how can you justify $150 for pedals anymore..if you ever could.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just coming across this thread now. Nylon just makes so much more sense than metal for pedals, considering how wrecked my spds look. I'm switching to flat pedals because I went years using my tiny PD-M959s as flat pedals with street shoes while commuting to work. I also always hated my slippery, plastic-soled Sidi Dominators, which I grew out of as my feet got larger as I moved into middle age.

I put DMR V6s on my '93 Stumpjumper a couple weeks ago. I chose them based on the reputation of their other pedals and the $17 cost, but I was surprised at how awesome they are. The support of the platform is great. I can wear my Reef Phantom flip flops for riding xc trails for 2 hours in comfort. The nylon pins have abrupt edges that make them completely non-slip, even in my flip flops. I can't adjust my feet without lifting them off the pedal, like how someone described the Chester.

So I just got a new/used Stumpjumper and am thinking about putting the Chesters on because they look classier for the nicer bike, but are they actually better? They probably spin easier than the DU bushings on the DMRs, which are smooth but draggy (maybe they will free up as they wear) but that probably doesn't really matter noticeably to efficiency. The weights are very close, with the DMRs are a bit lighter (330 g for my pair). The DMRs have a nice concave platform that is thinnest over the pedal spindle, like how your feet/shoes are curved. The Chesters appear to be thickest over the pedal spindle. Has anyone tried both (or any similar metal DMR pedal vs. the Chester) and come out with a preference in the feel of the pedal?

mtbr member
    The wife and I love our Chesters, very tough / grippy pedals.
    going to put them on the new bike as well

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have them , they are sick. Best part is when you beat them up on rocks they dont get all scratched and trashed looking like alloy pedals do.

mtbr member
    okay
    Last edited by tealy; 11-27-2017 at 07:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Been stomping on the Chesters for a few months. Very durable pedals and sticky too. Have to agree that they run small. Will try the new One Up nylon pedals once the Chesters are dead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I've been on Chesters since February, awesome pedals. I've smacked a bunch of rocks and done a ton of stuff to them, I have ripped off one pin which took a piece of the pedal with it, but still fine. I'm a size 12, and they do seem a tad small. I have problems with my left foot, and I notice the smallish size sometimes. This isn't to say they're tiny, just some may prefer larger.

mtbr member
    I have been on chesters as well for 6 months, I bought the new on one components plastic flats and I am DONE with the chesters. The Chesters never had a big enough platform for my size 11s on 5.10 impacts. Solid pedal and actually enhanced the overall feel of contact with my bike. Give them a go!
    IMG_0849 by driverfound337, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Went for a ride on my favorite trail today. Smacked the Chesters on a rock. It was a decent hit but I've smacked my Spank Oozy pedals much harder without concern. Well, the mountain took a chunk off the plastic pedal. Had the Chesters for only 3 months.
    Race Face Chester Nylon Composite Pedals-20170723_162147.jpgRace Face Chester Nylon Composite Pedals-20170723_162203.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Went for a ride on my favorite trail today. Smacked the Chesters on a rock. It was a decent hit but I've smacked my Spank Oozy pedals much harder without concern. Well, the mountain took a chunk off the plastic pedal. Had the Chesters for only 3 months.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170723_162147.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	1148006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170723_162203.jpg 
Views:	929 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	1148007
    Well I'd say we've found our first catastrophe. Yeah it's something I thought could happen.

I've had mine for 9 months, over 800 miles of single track...lots of hits on rocks, roots, etc...so far they've been pretty good. I have lost a couple pins and I blew out the seal on the left pedal (but it still spins fine). I probably can get another 300-500 miles out of the pedals, which is about what I'd get out of regular pedals. But what happened to yours is something I do think could happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170723_162147.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	1148006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170723_162203.jpg 
Views:	929 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	1148007
    I have a pair of blue Chester's that I slammed super hard in Moab that broke in the same place. I also sheared another pin off on the outer portion of the pedal. Swapped an inside pin for the sheared outside pin and have been riding with it ever since. Haven't really noticed a huge difference I think whenever I do retire them I'll probably grab the one up composite pedals or some large Stamps.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm disappointed that it didn't even last a year. The pedal is cracked in multiple areas so don't trust them. I ride in remote places at times and don't want to stuck out in the middle of nowhere with half a pedal. Just have to install my old and reliable VP Vise that has taken a beating and keeps coming back for more. As I mentioned, have a pair of Spanks also and they are solid. Maybe stick with metal from now on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Get them!

SUPER GOOD PEDALS! I love these. only regret was the color, I got red on my red bike. Might just be my crank boots that are red. Oh, and those crank boot are awsome! I have chester everything on my bike, and i recomend the product. Raceface makes really good product for a great price. I have been running these for about 1 year? idk. Anyways i think i am going to get the one-up composites becauces my foot size is getting bigger and wider. I am about to wear size 11.(I am 13 yrs old ) and one fellow mtbr says that the one-ups are better for bigger sizes. I ride trail, enduro, xc, freeride, and downhil. Oh, and both of them are not breaking the buget. I wear the five-ten freeriders and those are great to! So, conclusion, great all-arounder and would recommend these pedals to anyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race Face Chester Nylon Composite Pedals-img_0252.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Deity pedals

Quote Originally Posted by Kaedenmtb View Post
    SUPER GOOD PEDALS! I love these. only regret was the color, I got red on my red bike. Might just be my crank boots that are red. Oh, and those crank boot are awsome! I have chester everything on my bike, and i recomend the product. Raceface makes really good product for a great price. I have been running these for about 1 year? idk. Anyways i think i am going to get the one-up composites becauces my foot size is getting bigger and wider. I am about to wear size 11.(I am 13 yrs old ) and one fellow mtbr says that the one-ups are better for bigger sizes. I ride trail, enduro, xc, freeride, and downhil. Oh, and both of them are not breaking the buget. I wear the five-ten freeriders and those are great to! So, conclusion, great all-arounder and would recommend these pedals to anyone.
    Was choosing betweem the chesters and the deity v2. Wound up getting the v2 pedals because the chesters were on BO. Nice and light and have good grip

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jjones011 View Post
    Was choosing betweem the chesters and the deity v2. Wound up getting the v2 pedals because the chesters were on BO. Nice and light and have good grip
    Cool. Let's see if those hold up, haven't herd of the v2's but I know deity makes really sturdy bike parts. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Plastic

I wanted to like these pedals as they get great reviews and I liked them the first 3 rides. That is unfortunately all they lasted; 3 rides. Had a small pedal strike on a rock going up hill. First strike with them and it broke.

Race Face Chester Nylon Composite Pedals-20171024_202345.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Have a pair. 280 miles or so on them. Plenty of pedal strikes later they are holding strong. Great grip.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I started w/ Chesters. Raceface's next line up is the "Aeffect". It is an alloy, 3mm pegs, but slightly concave over the spindle. Wider platform by a few mm's, same great turn, but hold my flats better in rougher terrrain. I've used them for a season on all of our bikes. Just came back from the Camino de Portugues, our entire 4 person team used them in varying terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I haven't been happy with my Chesters. I have stealth rubber soles and my feet would slip..a lot. The pin placement isn't great, they're too short and just don't grip..overrated, imo. I went back to my wellgos with longer, grippier pins and my feet stick so much better. The only positive is the narrow profile. I'm gonna try the oneup flats next.. plenty of longer pins on a concave platform.. looks like a winner.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    I haven't been happy with my Chesters. I have stealth rubber soles and my feet would slip..a lot. The pin placement isn't great, they're too short and just don't grip..overrated, imo. I went back to my wellgos with longer, grippier pins and my feet stick so much better. The only positive is the narrow profile. I'm gonna try the oneup flats next.. plenty of longer pins on a concave platform.. looks like a winner.
    The Chester's "pins" are just hex bolts. A couple bucks at the hardware store and done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yea I've gotten hardware store screws for different pedals, but for some reason I thought the type of hex bolts on the chesters were harder to find.. ah, I guess I could search again but I'd like to buy pedals that are ready to go for once. Anyway, I guess I just haven't understood the praise these have gotten the way they're sold. To each his own..

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Yea I've gotten hardware store screws for different pedals, but for some reason I thought the type of hex bolts on the chesters were harder to find.. ah, I guess I could search again but I'd like to buy pedals that are ready to go for once. Anyway, I guess I just haven't understood the praise these have gotten the way they're sold. To each his own..
    I'm not really defending the Chester per se, though I have a set of similar pedals from Nukeproof that have performed well for about a year now. They also use hex screws so easy to replace/adjust. I've had quite a few pedal strikes and the only problem is a couple of the screws worked themselves loose. I replaced them and then added threadlocker to all of them. So far, so good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I've had Chesters on my bike for over a year in the PNW and have bashed them multiple times with just scuff marks. Overall happy with them, and like the color options. But I do find that the combination of smallish size and the slippery bare plastic composite center can let my feet shift on rough downhills, even with 5.10s. For my next bike, I picked up a pair of the OneUps. They have center pins as well as perimeter and are slightly larger overall except for thickness. Should have first rides on them over the next week.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JRutter View Post
    I've had Chesters on my bike for over a year in the PNW and have bashed them multiple times with just scuff marks. Overall happy with them, and like the color options. But I do find that the combination of smallish size and the slippery bare plastic composite center can let my feet shift on rough downhills, even with 5.10s. For my next bike, I picked up a pair of the OneUps. They have center pins as well as perimeter and are slightly larger overall except for thickness. Should have first rides on them over the next week.
    For some reason the Chesters hurt the outside edge of my feet. I have average 10.5" shoes so it's not like I have big feet. The grip and durability of the Chester pedals are great, however. I swapped them out for OneUp aluminum pedals and I couldn't be happier. No more foot pain, tons of grip, super thin and low weight. Rebuilds are easy and inexpensive. My only complaint is they don't come with extra pins. You can buy a set of 40 for $15 from OneUp though. The pins and pedals in general have held up very well to repeated rock bashing. I finally lost 1 pin to a chunk of rebar I kept getting hung up on in a steep tight section of DH/moto trail.

The Chesters are great but I feel the OneUps are better, at least in aluminum.

mtbr member
    I just switched to the nylon one ups. They're significantly larger than the chesters, which were too small for my size 13 shoes.

mtbr member
    yep I too switched from cheaters to one up, the larger platform was very welcomed even on 10.5 size foot. If chatters were larger I would have stayed with them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Got Chesterís for my son...Iím going with one up aluminums I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    After a couple of rides on the composite oneups, I'm happy with the switch. No tendency to shift or slip in the bumps.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Totally happy with my Chesters. If anything too much grip! Size is just right for my sz 9 5010s. I've been on them for 6mnths now and still smooth and unbroken. I rarely pedal strike though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This summed up my opinion perfectly. Size 11 5.10s. Couldn't focus on the chunk I was riding fast over and so slowed me down. But... They were only 33 bucks on sale at jenson so to the hardware store I go. Racing an enduro in two weeks so we'll see how they hold up.