mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Question about my bike

Hi everyone, new to this kind of stuff so please forgive any newb mistakes. I bought a bike a few years ago from a student leaving school and couldn't take his Trek with him. I talked him down quite a bit and think I got a good deal but don't really know much about the bike and my research has only led to more questions.
    Is there anyone that can tell me what I have? I know it is a Trek 8500, with a stamp on the frame showing ZR9000 Custom Alloy. It seems to be in excellent condition and as far as I know all original. It has been sitting in a back room of my house when not in use, I have only ridden the Tsali trail a couple of times and all other riding has been on greenway paved trails. Not really much of that either.

So my questions are, is it a good bike and any info that I can learn about it. Thank you for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question about my bike-20190105_084343.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Trek have an archive on their website with everything they have ever sold: https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...k/8500/details

Not sure what year your bike is but it looks like a better than average entry level bike. The geometry and components on entry level bikes hasn't changed a huge amount in the last few years so it's probably stilk a great bike for a casual rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    Trek have an archive on their website with everything they have ever sold: https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...k/8500/details

Not sure what year your bike is but it looks like a better than average entry level bike. The geometry and components on entry level bikes hasn't changed a huge amount in the last few years so it's probably stilk a great bike for a casual rider.
    Thank you for the information. I think I've been able to narrow it down to possibly a 2001 or 2002. Hopefully I can get my knees back right and do some more riding.