Putting a little money into my bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Putting a little money into my bike

Ok, so I decided i'm not selling my Jamis Dakar XAM 1 frame, instead, i'll be upgrading the components.

I already ordered a DHX 5 Air shock to replace my DHX 3 and between october/december i'll be getting into some more money i'd like to invest in my bike/myself.

as far as the drivetrain goes I like the setup (mostly XT), instead I was thinking i'd replace the brakeset and maybe cockpit components (handlebar/stem,etc) or a nice wheelset.

Also, I'd like a pair of nice knee/shin pads and a new helmet similar to the Fox Flux (or the Flux, maybe you'd know a similar/better option)

What would you recommend???

Thanks, Luigi.

mtbr member
    Ive got a fox flux...definantly the way to go...look a lot nicer than the others and well priced
    ...as for the pads i have got 661 kyle strait knee pads and 661 chicken wing elbow pads..a little lesss protection, but a lot easier if you rider a longer distance......
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    I usually ride in hot temperatures and climb a LOT. Need comfort for long runs...

HIKE!
    www.gravitydropper.com

and get the Turbo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    I usually ride in hot temperatures and climb a LOT. Need comfort for long runs...
    me and my mate went out on the bikes yesterday and i almost drove the car home with the knee pads still on......must be comfortable.......

mtbr member
    hmm cool I'll look into those. How about bike components??

mtbr member
    I wouldnt want to miss lead you as I am very early getting into mtbin...you probably know more than i do..but from what i have learned, with brakes, i wont be gettin avid's again i dont think, my pitch pro came with threes sl's and they are ok, because the rotors are bigger....but my mate got hopes on his specialized demo........you cant beat those...just unbelievable stoppin power, ive tried them on other bikes too, not just a trail/dh bike....hope brakes are the way forward if you have got the cash..... link...

http://www.hopetech.com/

MTBR Member
    I would go for the rims if you are still riding the stock ones. Depending on what is on there now, that could make a considerable difference in how your bike rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G4VNJ
    I wouldnt want to miss lead you as I am very early getting into mtbin...you probably know more than i do..but from what i have learned, with brakes, i wont be gettin avid's again i dont think, my pitch pro came with threes sl's and they are ok, because the rotors are bigger....but my mate got hopes on his specialized demo........you cant beat those...just unbelievable stoppin power, ive tried them on other bikes too, not just a trail/dh bike....hope brakes are the way forward if you have got the cash..... link...

http://www.hopetech.com/

Thanks man, no worries you've learned well lol. If you need help yourself don't hesitate to ask.

As far as the wheelset goes, my current wheelset, besides being a fairly cheap/simple wheelset (Mavic XM317 rims, Shimano M475 hubs and WTB Spokes) have never gone out of true, bent or bruised in any way, and are pretty light. I think they have been pretty loyal and might stick to them a while. I think i'll get a new brakeset or new cockpit components first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    Thanks man, no worries you've learned well lol. If you need help yourself don't hesitate to ask.

As far as the wheelset goes, my current wheelset, besides being a fairly cheap/simple wheelset (Mavic XM317 rims, Shimano M475 hubs and WTB Spokes) have never gone out of true, bent or bruised in any way, and are pretty light. I think they have been pretty loyal and might stick to them a while. I think i'll get a new brakeset or new cockpit components first.
    i think id be lookin to change wheels if anything..ive go the impression that mine arent very appropriate for the rest of the bike (pitch pro 2008)...not hardcore enough if u like....if this is the case, any alternatives you know of? id be lookin for a pair with strength to take a beatin but weight is big issue with my riding...i do like to clock up the miles before a decent..

.....i have seen the shimano xt wheels on a few all mountain bikes..the ones with the white decals on the actual rims...they look a nice price??...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Sh...et/5360033397/

Members who have read this thread: 0