Pros and Cons of SRAM 2x10 verses 3x10 or 3x9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Pros and Cons of SRAM 2x10 verses 3x10 or 3x9

Gearing, who can give me insights as to which is better for Mountain 2 front and 10 rear. Thanks
    Last edited by kooshbal; 01-05-2011 at 10:07 PM.

You know my steez...
    SCRAM?
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

T.W.O
    I have a 1x9 short cage because I tend to do a lot of skinnies and don't want to smash my derailleur in half. It really just depends on your riding style. I haven't found anything yet that I need more than a 1x9 setup and that is Michigan were it is mostly xc singletrack.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kooshbal
    Gearing, who can give me insights as to which is better for Mountain 2 front and 10 rear. Thanks
    I believe the only option for 2 in the front and 10 in the rear is 2x10

10 vs 9 in the rear is irrelevant for AM both will work fine. However, a lot of people choose to go with a double up front instead of a triple.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

www.derbyrims.com
    10 speed brings a greater range in the case of 11-36, or closer ratios and easier shifting effort if the range is no greater than a 9 speed range.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    10 speed brings a greater range in the case of 11-36, or closer ratios and easier shifting effort if the range is no greater than a 9 speed range.
    The following is not directed directly at you, Derby, but is related....

If he is asking about SRAM, only the XX offers an 11-36 option (something like $300). Every other SRAM 10 speed cassette that I am aware of offers LESS gearing range than an 11-34 cassette. I find it incredible that SRAM touts the benefits of the extended range of 10 speed, but then only offers 10 speed cassettes with LESS range than their 9 speed (except for XX). I find it almost insulting that they assume everyone is so stupid.

I also should be noted that an 36t cog only offers a ~5.5 -6% drop in gearing (depending on how you calculate) compared to a 34t. That is about half of a typical gear change on an 11-34 9 speed cassette. A difference, yes (and a welcome one), but it kind of amazes me that people see this as significant enough to influence one's decision of how many rings to run up front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

How about a 12-36

My new Yeti 575 came 3x10 with 22-33-44 front,12-36 in the rear.

Plenty of bottom end, I suspect it would be easy to change the 12 for an 11 (as if I could even pull the 12 in top for very long.) the 12-36 is about $80.

In answer to the OP question, 3x10 is a bit of over complex, I don't need all the gears. Spend most of my time in the center ring.

Thought I had to many on my 3x7 rigid frame.

ATinkerer

mtbr member
    2 ring cranks come with odd chainring mounting and without a bashguard. I will not ride "AM" without a bashguard.
    24-36-bash is the 2x9/2x10 to use.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Deleted as not to come off as a "spam queen"
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 01-06-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Jesus Noah you're becoming a fkin spam queen it doesn't fit you well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm happy with my 3x9 so I don't feel a need to change.

Best, John

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    The following is not directed directly at you, Derby, but is related....

If he is asking about SRAM, only the XX offers an 11-36 option (something like $300). Every other SRAM 10 speed cassette that I am aware of offers LESS gearing range than an 11-34 cassette. I find it incredible that SRAM touts the benefits of the extended range of 10 speed, but then only offers 10 speed cassettes with LESS range than their 9 speed (except for XX). I find it almost insulting that they assume everyone is so stupid.

I also should be noted that an 36t cog only offers a ~5.5 -6% drop in gearing (depending on how you calculate) compared to a 34t. That is about half of a typical gear change on an 11-34 9 speed cassette. A difference, yes (and a welcome one), but it kind of amazes me that people see this as significant enough to influence one's decision of how many rings to run up front.
    Yes, Shimano was shrewd to let SRAM "show it's hand" first for 10 speed design.

Shimano 10 speed has more options. No difference in the crank ring offset, so you can use your favorite 9 speed cranks. And 2x10 allows a place for a bash guard where the big rig was.

The Shimano 10 speed rear shifter is reported by others to be compatible with SRAM 9 speed rear derailleur (using 10 speed cogs and chain).

There's a good sticky at the top of the Drivetrain forum on the Shimano options. And much more in that forum on 10 speed experiences.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Yes, Shimano was shrewd to let SRAM "show it's hand" first for 10 speed design.
    Shrewd is one way to put it. I would say they just had a heck of a lot more sense. SRAM totally crapped the bed on this one, it seems to me a no-brainier that 11-36 should be available in lower groupsets (like x-7, x-9). Especially since it is extended range that SRAM uses to justify the move to 10 speed.

It's like a computer monitor manufacturer touting a new technology that allows higher resolution, but then using it to produce monitors with LOWER resolution.

Of course, the fact that people will actually buy a 11-32 or 12-36 10-sp cassette and think that it has greater range than an 11-34 9-sp goes to show that SRAM was correct in low-balling their estimate of the intelligence of the mtb community.

mtbr member
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/wh...gears.379.html

I think the low gear difference between a 2x10 and a traditional 3x9 setup with an 11-34 cassette is important to mention. It's all well and good if you can push the harder gears, but in Colorado we have some really steep trails and I have 2 bad knees. My knees just can't handle the stress of the higher gears. I actually use my lowest gear combination on the monster uphills and I believe 2x10 would hurt me more than help me. 3x10, well that's another story, but I see no advantage for me over 3x9 if I'm not losing the big ring up front.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 01-07-2011 at 10:10 AM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Members who have read this thread: 0