Thread: Proflex?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Proflex?

Ok guys i'm glad your hear for this. My friend has a 2000 Proflex 555 that she doesn't ride anymore. I've never heard of this brand or bike and really can't find anything on the internet about it. She said they paid a good amount for it but that was also in 2000. I guess the seat shock or something like that is broken and said if I can get someone to fix it the bike is mine so hopefully I can get out cheap. I wanted to know what you guys thought about this bike and getting it for so cheap. I'm a newb moving up to ATL, Ga and was planning on getting a Trek 4300 but if I can get a hand me down...why not? Right? Any expertise would be helpful. thanx

fuggansonofahowa
    Ah, yes, memories....It's a K2.

If I remember correctly, it was "K2" in 2000 (Not Proflex). The 555 was made in 1995 - the last digit is year, in the 90's. The elastomers for the suspensions are hard to find, and I'm pretty sure you can't get any other aftermarket shock replacement, but I'd ask in the K2 forum below.

Rest in pieces, 756.....

Its got what plants crave
    If it's the only option to get you on the trails, you've got nothing to lose, and you aren't paying any money for it anyway. That said, just about everything ProFlex is super outdated and probably didn't ride great even when it wasn't. I certainly wouldn't put much if any money into that bike, though.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    you're better off in the long run with the Trek. The company exists so if you have any issues you can at the very least go to a dealer and get taken care of. hope you don't do it. It is more hassle than hand me down. The shop i used to work at would try and help folks with these bikes as well as Softride beams (road) and it is not worth it in my experience.
    politely refuse the offer.

There's no app for this.

antique - parts impossible to find...

Please excuse the large pic. https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...=555&Type=bike

The rear suspension might be impossible to replace now. I think it's a Noleen, also bought by K2 and hasn't been around for a very long time. If you can make the rear rigid, it might be ridable.

Jim
    Last edited by JimC.; 10-14-2009 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    that thing is a classic piece of MTB history, clean it up and hang it on your wall, or pull it out at races and lap up the adulation =)

mtbr member
    I would like to have an old classic like that. The first full suspension I ever rode was a proflex around 1996 and it had the Girvin fork, bent top tube, and yellow elastomer rear springs insted of the coil. The thing sold me on full suspension, and rode surprisingly well, although a bit bouncy in the rear from lack of damping.
    I don't know what could be wrong with the rear shock but I bet its just an oil leak or something. It may not be damped, but you could still ride it, and maybe just crank down on the spring pre-load to make it ride more like a rigid rear end.

mtbr member
    Man I kinda miss my old PF bikes now

fuggansonofahowa
    A most nostalgic post......

I don't miss the elastomers....too hard in the cold, jelly in the heat. I did like the "dig in" hype, and found it to be genuine. That 'Flex climbed surprisingly well, but could pogo you if you didn't land the drops smoothly. It was the "all mountain" bike of it's time....before there was such a classification. IMO, Proflex broke the stigma of the trail rideable, full suspension bike. Agreed, a piece of classic history there.

mtbr member
    I had a 555 growing up in the 90's that my dad past down to me. I remember after not riding it for a few years and it sitting in the garage, the rubber shock thingy was now a solid chunk of hard plastic. Honestly want was proflex thinking designing a suspension like that. But hey, at the time, I thought it was the greatest bike in the world. Technology has come a long way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    that frame design won an award from popular science.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    if anyone can do a shock for you it's risse.
    here: http://www.risseracing.com/proflex.shtml

if your model's not there (don't think it is) send them an email and ask.

the spring on the 555 pictured there isn't stock, they didn't have noleens back then, was just rubber bumpers (they called them MCU for Micro Cellular Urethane)
    but you could try finding a spring of the right weight etc and slot it in like in the picture!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Or, just buy this one ... https://flint.craigslist.org/bik/d/p...544498582.html

Sorry about the thread revival, lol.

P.S. I'm not the seller.
    I live with Fear everyday. If I ask nicely, she lets me ride.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Or, just buy this one ... https://flint.craigslist.org/bik/d/p...544498582.html

Sorry about the thread revival, lol.

P.S. I'm not the seller.
    LOL! I wonder if the OP might still be looking 9 years later! Your link leads to a real collectors item -- complete with bar ends and toe clips! Suh-WEET!
    =sParty
    P.S. I still ride with bar ends. Not kidding.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They we're really good in their day, very light and great handling and pedaling. Not the most supple though. I still have my 1997 model and it rides well. Noleen still makes and services the shocks. It should be coil and oil by 2000.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

get there first
    May 2009

5 was reported to be Girvins favorite number 555 is a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by proudrcf View Post
    Ok guys i'm glad your hear for this. My friend has a 2000 Proflex 555 that she doesn't ride anymore. I've never heard of this brand or bike and really can't find anything on the internet about it. She said they paid a good amount for it but that was also in 2000. I guess the seat shock or something like that is broken and said if I can get someone to fix it the bike is mine so hopefully I can get out cheap. I wanted to know what you guys thought about this bike and getting it for so cheap. I'm a newb moving up to ATL, Ga and was planning on getting a Trek 4300 but if I can get a hand me down...why not? Right? Any expertise would be helpful. thanx

I own 2 proflex model 555's from 1995. Both colors offered that year... plum, and leaf green. best mountain bike probably ever made, in my opinion...wouldn't trade it for anything! id get rid of my felt f25, kona 2-9, and my giant before I part with my proflex 555. Rumor is that 5 was Girvins favorite number and im convinced he engineered that one for enthusiasts to enjoy, while keeping the retail price way below what it might have otherwise been. kind of like a middle finger to the corporate (K@)world. Just my 2cents, or what my mind wants me to believe.... Riding that bike is exactly what JFK was talking about when he said "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride."

Ride On!

-Azmillgod
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proflex?-280.jpg  

Proflex?-imag0546.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 54