Problems with 2018 fit4 damper? Is this normal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Problems with 2018 fit4 damper? Is this normal?

My 2018 fox 36 with the fit4 damper has a problem of too slow rebound. Fully open barely lifts the wheel off the ground and if not barely, not at all. Me and my dad serviced it (the damper) with only new 10wt oil but its maxxima plush 10wt suspension fluid but is almost the exact same as fox red or whatever fox's special stuff is. I see videos about other's suspension and the fork looks like it is supportive and really trying to force back already when mine is just lagging and makes the bike feel dead. I don't run it at fully open rebound or at least didn't (broke my collarbone 2.5 weeks ago at a race) because when the rebound is fully open it tops out super hard and actually hurts my shoulders if I try to bunny hop hard at all. And it seems too bouncy in the wrong areas when its fast and too slow if I slow it down. Just for reference: at open rebound, it takes about the same speed (.4-.6sec) as the unflaring of your nostrils (if you can do that).
    I'm wondering if I should #1, buy a 2019 grip2 damper, #2 buy/also a 2019 air shaft assembly because their top out bumper is actually more than just a beefy o-ring or #3, sell the fork after a service and get a new one. It is only 15x100mm so non-boost which I've never ridden on a bike with boost spacing up-front focusing on that stiffness to tell but I'm sure it does help. So I'm torn between spending money to upgrade my current fork that already isnt great because it's not boost but also I want to sell it and spending $350 to make it actually good would make the ride now better but selling I'd maybe get like $600-$700 out of it so. What are your thoughts of upgrading what I have even though its non-boost or selling it for like $400-$500 to help get a 2019 fork with grip2 and all that jazz? Thanks in advance.

P.S the fox product code is: DB95

mtbr member
    the fit 4 specifies fox r3 5wt which is the teflon infused 5wt fox sells. I could be wrong about this as my memory is now 40 years old and moderately shitty... however I believe the comparable product to that is maxima 5wt. Your rebound is too slow because you likely used too heavy of a fluid.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it seems like it wasn't a good service. As mentioned above, the oil isn't right (https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=621). It's not worth upgrading just because of a bad service job. To sell the fork, you'll either have to get it service or discount it because it needs to be serviced. Boost is definitely not worth upgrading for, especially if you're not planning on also upgrading your wheels or need the extra tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    the fit 4 specifies fox r3 5wt which is the teflon infused 5wt fox sells. I could be wrong about this as my memory is now 40 years old and moderately shitty... however I believe the comparable product to that is maxima 5wt. Your rebound is too slow because you likely used too heavy of a fluid.
    Ohh really!? That would make sense 😆 I thought it was fox red which is 10wt but the color when we serviced it was goldish. That makes me feel better about it. I know it was something we did but it didnt make sense because we got most likely all the air out and filled it just right so it wouldn't expand too much. Thanks! I haven't been able to figure it out but that makes sense I just thought it used 10wt which is what I used.

And replying to s0ckeyeus: I wasn't planning on selling because of the problem. I didn't say but I need a new fork anyways to upgrade my frameset early next year so I was going to get a 29" fork with the grip2 damper but I was thinking if I should upgrade the damper now for the rest of the year (which I most likely wont now thanks to you guys) and the air piston (which I still might do) or just sell the fork after the problem gets fixed. I wasnt going to sell it as a garbage fork 🙄😆 but yeah I'll definitely get the right oil this time! I didnt want to spend like double the price for fox's special stuff that wasnt as good. Thanks a bunch though! Super exciting!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    The only thing that matters when looking at fluid weights is CST. It must have the same or very similar CST to work the same. There are conversion charts that let you know, but if you are going to use a different fluid than OEM, which often isn't a bad idea because many times those OEM fluids are just re-boxed moto fluids at a higher price-you need to use the CST chart to make sure you are getting the right fluid.

"Weight" is like "mineral oil", which is to say it's completely unique to the manufacturer and has no standardized properties from manufacturer to manufacturer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Teasdale View Post
    And replying to s0ckeyeus: I wasn't planning on selling because of the problem. I didn't say but I need a new fork anyways to upgrade my frameset early next year so I was going to get a 29" fork with the grip2 damper but I was thinking if I should upgrade the damper now for the rest of the year (which I most likely wont now thanks to you guys) and the air piston (which I still might do) or just sell the fork after the problem gets fixed. I wasnt going to sell it as a garbage fork 🙄😆 but yeah I'll definitely get the right oil this time! I didnt want to spend like double the price for fox's special stuff that wasnt as good. Thanks a bunch though! Super exciting!!
    OK, I was wondering where you were going with all that. LOL.