Poc Trabec vs. Bell Super- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Poc Trabec vs. Bell Super

Hey all, I need a new helmet, and have a large dome(7 & 7/8 hat or so). Which one do you guys like better and why? Anybody used both? I'm in NYC so unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll be able to try either on first...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I bought a red/black super amd love the fit. But i wear a medium the gopro mount is nice but it is not totally stable cause it is held in by velcro.

Posted from a Galaxy S4.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm not too concerned with the go pro mount, but might be useful to me if you could mount a light there, has anyone tried that?

two wheel whore
    I have the POC, with a 7 3/4 head. It has room, I'm able to wear a balaclava under it. Although it's from the other side of the pond, it's geared towards egg heads.
    And yes, I'm able to use my light on this helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EricfromBrooklyn View Post
    I'm not too concerned with the go pro mount, but might be useful to me if you could mount a light there, has anyone tried that?
    Yes, it's definitely possible. A lot of people mount their lights on their helmets. From the 2, I personally prefer the Bell Super but you really can't go wrong with either of those.
    Last edited by Max24; 03-02-2015 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I went through the same decision. A riding mate bough the POC and he wasn't too impressed with the build quality for the price that he paid. Fits him ok though and performs well. He was just disappointed with the finish. Nothing too major IMO. The big plus with POC is that they use MIPS - a good to have in case you are unfortunate to come off.

I ended up purchasing the Bell Super in black with the white stripe - looks fantastic and has a lot of practical features. The visor is adjustable which helps when I'm on variable terrain. I find I adjust it slightly for uphill, DH, or trail riding. It's also good if you want to wear Goggles as you can raise the visor up to put the Goggle on top when not wearing it.

The fit of the Bell is comfortable and I ride in Australia where it does get super hot and I find that for an All Mountain helmet it's still comfortable in extreme heat.

If you wear sunglasses as opposed to goggles I find the air vents ideal for storing sunglasses when you're not wearing them (i.e. climbing).

I'm very happy with the helmet and would buy it again. The only wish would be that they had an option for MIPS which is a must in my opinion.

Hope this helps you...

mtbr member
    I test fit a POC and didn't love it. Got a Super and it fits much better. I ditched the Go Pro mount first thing - not my cup of tea.

The Super is a bigger helmet so be ready for that, but for AM riding it seems appropriate.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just from a sports medicine perspective, I'd tell ya to get the POC Trabec MIPS helmet. It's on my shortlist once I can afford one. Having had concussions and worked with a lot of concussions. Like Vickb mentions tho, I'm only concerned about fitting it properly to my skull, especially since there are no local dealers in my area. The Bell Super looks awesome though, so really, your head, buy what fits best.

Longing for dirt
    Jun 2008
    Although most cycling helmets are manufactured in a similar manner utilizing similar materials, do not rule out the importance of the physical design. One cannot assume that all helmets are equally safe because the materials/mfg techniques are shared across the industry. Review test data and real-world crash reports, if possible, prior to making a decision.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I love my POC Trabec MIPS, but like others have said get
    what fits the best. They are both high end helmets.

mtbr member
    I vote for the POC. I own a Trabec and a Trabec Race, and they are really nice. Great quality, and they've held up very well to a few decent crashes. The Bell is very comfortable, but not really more so than the POC. Just a bit different fit. As others have said, helmet fit is a matter of head shape and personal taste. The POC fits my 7_5/8 - 7_3/4 head very well. Very light for its size too. I just didn't like the feel of the Bell. It felt cheap to me; like it was just another budget helmet but with fancy styling. No added safety, just added style.

The thing that has me sold on POC is the fact that they are actually building helmets in a different way. They're trying to push safety standards higher. For example, they use aramid (kevlar) fiber in their helmets. They mix kevlar filaments into the foam, which helps the foam hold together better in a crash, rather than splitting. The Trabec Race helmets also have a thin layer of aramid cloth under the plastic parts, which aids in resisting punctures. A friend of mine narrowly escaped a cracked skull when he went head first into a sharp rock. It punctured into the helmet and the foam split apart immediately. Luckily, the rock stopped just before it went into his head.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    The trouble with assessing helmets on crash protection is that we aren't cratering our heads into the ground every ride. Where you could collect some statistical data on what sort of crashes you are having and look at the helmet options to find the best match.

For most people I know a serious head to ground crash is once a decade or less frequent. Personally I've never destroyed a helmet in well over 30yrs of riding despite many crashes.

That means what you really want is protection from that one or two critical impacts that could change your life.

A lot of seemingly insignificant factors [during purchase] could end up making all the difference in that crash - for example placement of vent holes snagging something on the ground and snapping your neck instead of the helmet sliding on the trail.

So I think once we get into the realm of helmets that have met all the appropriate safety certifications you are really guessing as to which one will be the best for a crash that you might have down the road.

Get a helmet that fits well. Adjust the retention system to keep it in place during a crash. Wear it every ride. Ride within your personal limits and hope for the best.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_soma View Post
    Although most cycling helmets are manufactured in a similar manner utilizing similar materials, do not rule out the importance of the physical design. One cannot assume that all helmets are equally safe because the materials/mfg techniques are shared across the industry. Review test data and real-world crash reports, if possible, prior to making a decision.
    I haven't seen any data of a safety benefit across different brands when it comes to brain injury (tbi/concussions). Every helmet on the market is made from an expanded polystyrene foam surrounded by a shell of plastic, fiberglass, or carbon fiber and (at least in us) they're all tested to the same cpsc standards. A Troy lee may look cooler, but it will not protect your head any better than the cheapest off the shelf bell. Furthermore, helmets provide almost no concussion protection. They protect against lacerations and major head trauma (ie skull fractures). Side bar--full face and DOT helmets don't help concussions either. The MIPS system is engineered to improve concussion protection, so it's a good start. But there still isn't much medical data on MIPS. Hopefully the concussion stuff in the news will lead to some new tech, but for now we're still living with 1960s tech.

To the OP, both helmets fit me fine. The bell maybe a bit better, but I view the MIPS as worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have both the Trabec Race and Super. I like the advertised safety features of the trabec (not sure if it is any better than anything else in reality). The retention system and fit on the Bell helmets are far superior in my opinion, much more adjustable and comfortable.

If I needed a new helmet today I would get a Super.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've been on the receiving end of two traumatic brain injuries, and three concussions from cycling, two resulted in broken helmets. Maybe my problem is in skill level, maybe it's in circumstance, but my functional understanding of helmet technology is that anything that can reduce torsional distortion of the skull/brain relationship will be superior to simply absorbing impact. I agree that more data is needed regarding MIPS, but it's easy to look at the technology of impact absorption in modern helmets and see that no significant changes have been made until the MIPS standard. Maybe it's legit, maybe it's just on the right course, but it's enough to convince me that my head is worth it.