hikebike-bagpeak

Plus or FS? What's the best route to go?

Hey folks?
    Looking to get an outside opinion for a bike purchase. I've been bouncing back and forth between the Marin Hawk Hill and the Salsa Timberjack GX1, or Rocky Mountain Growler 40. I ride a lot of mountain trails with long steep grades, where the trail is often a pile of rocks. My primary modes for transport are a 26" Trek Fuel, and a MN Framed 2.2 Fat Bike. With the kind of riding I do, I could use both Full Suspension with + size, but that would not be in the price range I'm limited to.
    Thanks in advance for input.
    Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
    www.radtrek.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can probably fit a 2.6 Rekon (great all around tire and pretty light) on a non-boost fork; might even get it to work on the rear, so don't think you're stuck with a boost bike.

I run my FS with a 2.8F and 2.6R, great tire life and gobs of traction.

My HT was set up the same until I holed a tire being sloppy, now back to 2.8's F&R. I like it better comfort and grip wise.

I find FS is more important than +, and a big(ger) front tire more important than the rear.

Both are gobs of fun where I ride, the FS easier, faster, and more comfortable, the HT more demanding and technical.

I'd strongly advise getting to the next price point - you get a much better bike at 2500 than 1500.

And if you know bikes (sounds like it) I'd be shopping used; I narrowed my list to a handful of options, then found a barely used demo bike (in a far better spec than I'd been considering) on ebay.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

EAT MORE GRIME
    do you want full suspension or not ?

plus tires are not the same as true suspension. they kinda suck at it
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    The marin hawk hill sort of seems like a good deal, until you check out the other stuff on sale.

I got an orbea occam AM for $1599, hardly more than the hawk hill for a *lot* more bike.

I dont want a plus bike, or a hardtail, so a plus hardtail is like a double negative for me. No thanks.

mtbr member
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2295799/ here is a used Cannondale Bad Habit FS plus bike for $1500 if medium is the correct size and you live close enough to pick it up. I have demoed the Bad Habit, very nice bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

This. I've ridden both, and plus tires will not compensate for lack of rear suspension. A full suspension bike will climb better on technical trails because the rear suspension will help the rear remain planted, and it will descend better because the rear suspension will help absorb shocks that could otherwise make it more difficult to maintain control.

I like hard tails, but if you get a plus hard tail it will still perform like a hard tail. I.e. the rear end will be harsh and more difficult to control on technical terrain, both going up and going down.

Personally, I found the plus hard tail was fine for both climbing and descending, though my FS bike is better at both. But long straightaways where I could sit and spin on my FS bike would be much more annoying on the plus hard tail because I could feel every root and rock bouncing my rear end up and down making it much harder to sit and spin.

hikebike-bagpeak
    I did the same with my FS Trek Fuel. Add to that, and there was not much clearance for my tires. Couldn't ride it in the mud. It's also a 26er. Not complaining, as its been the bomb and has worked for me for years, but its past time to upgrade.
    www.radtrek.com

hikebike-bagpeak
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    www.radtrek.com

hikebike-bagpeak
    What do you know about this model? Its not the top name for sure, plus its a Raleigh - nor reknown for MTBs, but the price is right.
    Crazy Closeout pricing on this item
    Raleigh 2017 Kodiak 2 650b Full Suspension
    The specs I focus on first are right - air shock, 42t granny, FS, 2.8 wide, 27.5
    www.radtrek.com

mtbr member
    It depends on where and how you ride. For high speed (trying to go as fast as possible downhill, through corners, etc) I'd go FS. Rent a full suspension bike, it should be obvious if it's an improvement. I'm not a big fan of plus tires, I might would run them on a HT to improve comfort and climbing traction a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fattirefreak View Post
    I could use both Full Suspension with + size, but that would not be in the price range I'm limited to.
    Thanks in advance for input.
    What's your price range. There are some great bikes in the 1500-1800 range for FS.

What do you know about this model? Its not the top name for sure, plus its a Raleigh - nor reknown for MTBs, but the price is right.
    Crazy Closeout pricing on this item
    Raleigh 2017 Kodiak 2 650b Full Suspension
    The specs I focus on first are right - air shock, 42t granny, FS, 2.8 wide, 27.5
    Ok, I guess that answers my question. Raleigh = DB btw. At that price I think you should look at the DB Catch 1. It can be had for 1500 shipped and its equipped very well at its price point. The 100 bucks more for the Catch... compare the suspension and shocks.

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5/best-bud...l#post13621711

hikebike-bagpeak
    O.K. After several weeks of deliberating the cost, the specs and the quality of the bike, I have concluded that my best options nearest my price point are: the Marin Hawk Hill 2 and the Marin B17 plus. I've ridden the second one, and it seems to fit nicely. Anyway, I wanted to get some opinions out there on one or both of those two bikes if possible. Thanks in advance!!!
    www.radtrek.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    O.K. After several weeks of deliberating the cost, the specs and the quality of the bike, I have concluded that my best options nearest my price point are: the Marin Hawk Hill 2 and the Marin B17 plus. I've ridden the second one, and it seems to fit nicely. Anyway, I wanted to get some opinions out there on one or both of those two bikes if possible. Thanks in advance!!!
    Those bikes are as expensive as some of the top of the line bikes on the market. You will need to go to a demo event and compare riding those to the other major players to really have an answer.

If you buy either one, you probably won't regret your decision, but they are all very expensive, and so it's wise to choose the one you really like the most.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    For a beginner woman that will never ride particularly rough trails and is not that strong but the trails will always be pretty loose, would you recommend a plus HT, a plus full sus, or a full sus 27.5"?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    For a beginner woman that will never ride particularly rough trails and is not that strong but the trails will always be pretty loose, would you recommend a plus HT, a plus full sus, or a full sus 27.5"?

Thanks
    My wife who is beginner-intermediate ended up on a short travel FS 27.5. She didn't care for the plus tires. She prefers a light nimble bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post

Thanks
    I would recommend a plus bike for everyone who isn't an XC racer. Even if your trails are flowy, you might travel out of town, and besides, plus tires are not slower.

I enjoy my hardtails but that decision really depends. I don't own a FS bike but I have rented them; I imagine if I had a lot of miles on one, I'd really prefer them. If I could only have one bike, I'd pick the FS plus bike, but it really depends on where you're riding and what you're doing.

I think plus tires are here to stay for recreational riding. Amount of suspension travel, geometry, etc., will change, but I suspect that 2.8 tires aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the responses. She ended up on a XC/ trail 27.5" full suspension that has reasonable wide wheels (30mm ID) w/ a 2.6F & 2.35R.
    I wouldn't change a thing as the rig has been an ideal platform for her and she has improved by leaps and bounds.
    Thx again!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

100%

Even a 100mm FS is magnitudes plusher than a plus bike.
    Less isn't MOAR