Planing on buying a used MTB Bike.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

New question here. Planing on buying a used MTB Bike.

Is $250 for a 2007 Rocky Mountain Soul bike a good deal? Here are the specs. 2007 Rocky Mountain Soul - BikePedia

My friend told me if I am to buy it I should buy some new tires. I was also wondering would I be able to fit 27.5" tires on it? I want to be able to clear logs easier. I am a beginner at mountain biking. Haven't done it before, I have only ever done BMX or road biking. Edit: I am worried about it being over 7 years old but he said it was in good condition. He could be lying though. If that isn't good I found another bike. A used 15" Giant Rincon Mountain Bike. Will the 15" fit someone that is 5'7"? Also it is another 26" wheels and would prefer 27.5" also it is $190.

mtbr member
    I hate to say it but you should consider spending more now and saving later. If you search craigslist I bet you can find a much better deal for a better bike. Spending $500-$1000 is worth it IMO. I got a sweet deal on a 2008 stump jumper FRS expert for $950 and have been happy, the bike was $5000 MSRP in 2008 so I would say I got a good deal. What state/city are you in? Would be wasting money buying bigger wheels and trying to make them work. Just buy what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It looks like a nice entry bike from the link. But it is pretty old, see if you can get it for $200 or below since you are buying a wheel size that is on its way out.

Don't worry about clearing logs and that kind of crap and don't spend/waste money on wheel upgrades for this bike. You will be able to clear logs with no problem on 26", just work on technique and use your bmx skills when needed.

Get a solid entry level used bike for cheap and enjoy it--way smart/wise decision. Don't start chasing the hype.