Orange Patriot 2006 or 2005 for all mountain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Orange Patriot 2006 or 2005 for all mountain?

Hi im wondering if i can use the orange patriot for all mountain maybe some xc? I'm planning on getting the frame and fitting all mountain and xc components on it. Do you think this will work? Just worried it will be a bit heavy and the fact its quite old. Thanks

mtbr member
    They are a bit heavy, but you'll cope. Do you know exactly which model of Patriot it is? If it's the one with a movable shock mount you can have anywhere from 140-180mm travel at the back, if it's fixed than 160-ish. Nice bikes.

Before you buy, check the swing arm shock mountings for cracks or bending. Otherwise, enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Absolutely! , am is the patriots purpose !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    They are a bit heavy, but you'll cope. Do you know exactly which model of Patriot it is? If it's the one with a movable shock mount you can have anywhere from 140-180mm travel at the back, if it's fixed than 160-ish. Nice bikes.

Before you buy, check the swing arm shock mountings for cracks or bending. Otherwise, enjoy it!
    Okay this is the one but if any of you bid on it i will track you down and kill you! lol. looks good but if i do XC on it i might need to change it to a lockable back suspension. I either make one and get this frame witch will cost about 1500- 1600 or by a offer one of orange website about 2000 Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Andythemtbking; 11-02-2012 at 02:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looks good. Fixed shock mount version. I used to own one very similar.
    Heavy is relative. They were reasonably light compared pwith other bikes at the time but not as light as the current crop especially carbon offerings.
    Mine was 150 mm and I rode it everywhere from Xc blasts in the woods to dh trips to the alps. It was a great bike and I would certainly own another one.
    If it was me buying I would swap that coil for an air shock and keep the coil for alps trips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Oh and like fix the spade says check the swing arm and mounts . I broke mine. Orange did offer a reasonable price replacement and respray.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Personally I would not bother with lockouts. Not needed. A good pedal platform shock is enough. In fact pretty essential for the low singe pivot design but you don't need a full lockout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk View Post
    Personally I would not bother with lockouts. Not needed. A good pedal platform shock is enough. In fact pretty essential for the low singe pivot design but you don't need a full lockout.
    Bit worried about the swing arm mounts... Another option is to swap the stuff on my current bike onto that frame and upgrade as stuff brakes. Im currently trying to sell my one but i can take it off, here it is Chris Boardman Mountain Bike Comp 2010 in Moray | Bikes, & Bicycles for Sale | Gumtree.com not sure if the components are good enough . Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Andythemtbiking,

I don't mean to spam your thread, but if you're looking for a decent used AM frame. I'm trying to part with a lightly used Transition Preston. They were made back in 09', and marketed as a "light-freeride bike" but with 5 inches of travel, and fairly slack angles, it makes the perfect budget AM bike. It's not super light, but it climbs pretty well, and descends even better.

Let me know if you're interested.

All of the components from your bike should work (except you'll want a larger fork, but I have a Fox 160mm Van I could sell you too).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    Andythemtbiking,

I don't mean to spam your thread, but if you're looking for a decent used AM frame. I'm trying to part with a lightly used Transition Preston. They were made back in 09', and marketed as a "light-freeride bike" but with 5 inches of travel, and fairly slack angles, it makes the perfect budget AM bike. It's not super light, but it climbs pretty well, and descends even better.

Let me know if you're interested.

All of the components from your bike should work (except you'll want a larger fork, but I have a Fox 160mm Van I could sell you too).
    Im not sure, you got any pics on hand? Thanks

mtbr member
    A bit worried about the mounts the mounts are defo fine on the one im getting but if i do something like fort William or worse on it will it break???

mtbr member
    If they;ve made it six years they're probably fine.

What model specifically is on offer for 2000 now? Frame or complete bike? If it's a complete bike that sounds like a killer deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Andy, I sent you a private message!

If you're looking for a complete bike, I may be able to hook you up aswell. I'm looking to thin out my stable, and I've got more high-end sh*t than I need.

mtbr member
    If they;ve made it six years they're probably fine.

What model specifically is on offer for 2000 now? Frame or complete bike? If it's a complete bike that sounds like a killer deal.
    If you go onto orange website and go into offers they have some new bikes at 2000 every week that are ax demo. But i could buy the 2005/2006 patriot of ebay an build one for 1500 so im not sure what to do.

mtbr member
    Ah I see.

Those two Patriots are great, the extra 400 over an Ebay build would be worth it, if for no other reason than the build/suspension are matched to the frame and Orange will honour the warranty.

They don't post them though, so you'd have to factor driving down to Halifax to get it into the equation. But I'd be all over that (if I hadn't already spent too much on bikes this year...).

mtbr member
    Ah I see.

Those two Patriots are great, the extra 400 over an Ebay build would be worth it, if for no other reason than the build/suspension are matched to the frame and Orange will honour the warranty.

They don't post them though, so you'd have to factor driving down to Halifax to get it into the equation. But I'd be all over that (if I hadn't already spent too much on bikes this year...).
    Yeah, the front forks are a bit big for xc and its only got a double chainset not triple... and i have to go down there and pick it up adn spend another 400 so i might just sick to the custom build as i've never dont a custom build before, but still a bit worried about that frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0