Older bikes::: Cannondale Jekyll 500 vs Cannondale Volvo F700, how to determine size?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4

    Older bikes::: Cannondale Jekyll 500 vs Cannondale Volvo F700, how to determine size?

    Disclosure, I am new to mtn biking and basically just want to get out and get some fresh air and maybe lose a little weight. I'm mostly going to leisurely ride on our local bike trails and streets and a small amount of off road stuff. But I want a mtn bike just the same.

    I just bought an older, (but in very good condition), Jekyll 500. There is also a good used Volvo F700 I have my eyes on locally.

    1. Which would be the better bike? I bought the Jekyll 500 for $250, and could get the Volvo F700 for $350.

    Also, for the Jekyll 500 to fit me I have the seat post up about 8" for my legs to be almost straight on the downstroke. And I just noticed a sticker on it indicating it is "Medium" size. I am 5'-10" tall and my inseam is 33". From what I am able to research I might need a "large" bike? But when riding, it feels good to me. I really like it, and have never had a quality bike like this Cannondale. But like I said, I'm a newb with all this and maybe it isn't a good fit?

    2. Would I be better off with a large size bike?

    3. How can I determine what year these bikes came out and were sold? I think they are both maybe around 20 years old?

    TIA, (trying to upload pics below)


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,424
    If the Jekyll fits you, then you're good. It's all about being comfortable.

    I would have a bike shop carefully check over your bike's condition. A full-suspension bike that old can certainly develop serious issues.

    I wouldn't bother with the F700. Those old Cannondales are affectionately known around here as "Crackn'Fail".

    If you post pictures, somebody on here can likely give an age estimate.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    If the Jekyll fits you, then you're good. It's all about being comfortable.

    I would have a bike shop carefully check over your bike's condition. A full-suspension bike that old can certainly develop serious issues.

    I wouldn't bother with the F700. Those old Cannondales are affectionately known around here as "Crackn'Fail".

    If you post pictures, somebody on here can likely give an age estimate.

    Thanks for the input.

    The Jekyll appears to be from 2002 and I think the Volvo might be from 1996? The Volvo has a hard tail vs the Jekyll's front and back suspension, and I think that having the rear shock may be more comfortable?

    They both look like new so with the rear shocks and being newer, I might be more inclined to go for the Jekyll...

    Unable to post pics :-(

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueshound View Post
    Thanks for the input.

    The Jekyll appears to be from 2002 and I think the Volvo might be from 1996? The Volvo has a hard tail vs the Jekyll's front and back suspension, and I think that having the rear shock may be more comfortable?

    They both look like new so with the rear shocks and being newer, I might be more inclined to go for the Jekyll...
    I thought you already bought the Jekyll? Certainly the Jekyll would be more comfortable, but potentially more maintenance.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I thought you already bought the Jekyll? Certainly the Jekyll would be more comfortable, but potentially more maintenance.
    My bad, I did buy the Jekyll, but was possibly going to go for the Volvo as well, then sell the Jekyll if I liked the other one more. But it looks like I may not do that now.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueshound View Post
    My bad, I did buy the Jekyll, but was possibly going to go for the Volvo as well, then sell the Jekyll if I liked the other one more. But it looks like I may not do that now.
    Okay. I'll just add that's too much money for the Volvo F700. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. Then again, I just wouldn't buy a Cannondale from that era.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Okay. I'll just add that's too much money for the Volvo F700. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. Then again, I just wouldn't buy a Cannondale from that era.
    Gotcha. Thanks.

    For now I'm just gonna keep the Jekyll unless something else comes along that looks fun.

Similar Threads

  1. 1996 cannondale f700 Volvo
    By rmhfolife in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2015, 05:00 PM
  2. Cannondale f700 Volvo
    By Wilkoturbo in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 12:41 AM
  3. Specialized RockHopper Disc vs Cannondale F700 2006 Model
    By Mattyjuice in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM
  4. cannondale/volvo jersy size sm or xs?
    By big country in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 09:01 AM
  5. Cannondale - Jekyll vs Jekyll
    By jawry in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 04:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.