not getting full travel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

not getting full travel

Hey guys,

I purchased my first full suspension bike, Bronson V3 s-kit. I watched a bunch of youtube videos on setting sag.

It comes with a Rockshox Super Deluxe Select Plus.

I set sag to 30% with 160 psi [I let air chamber equalize], rebound set to 6 clicks. It has no other setting aside from lockout.

I rode the bike 22 miles today on an a beginner-intermediate trail and noticed that it stopped 7mm short of full travel.

Any suggestions? I'm having a difficult time finding any kind of troubleshoot content, regarding this issue, with google.

I weigh 170 lbs
    Thanks

mtbr member
    If it was mellower terrain, you might not have ridden anything hard enough to bottom it out, it is a long travel trail bike designed for rough terrain after all.

If your goal was to set up the shock with exactly 30% sag and have it bottom out on that specific ride, changing the air volume by removing the air can and taking out any volume reducing spacers (if there is any in there as stock) would make the shock more linear and use more travel. But I wouldn't bother with that yet.

You can read up on suspension set up but it's also personal preference, if it felt good at 30% sag and you did use most of the travel on a beginner/intermediate ride it sounds to me like it's probably set up pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Kevin,

You're likely right. I'm used to riding a hardtail, so I usually ride "conservatively" [slow] as well

mtbr member
    Setting up your suspension to use all of its travel on beginner/intermediate trails is likely not the most ideal way to dial it in. It would have a wallowy feel and likely be slower overall compared to running it stiffer. Plus, unless you adjust it for every ride, you wouldnít have anything in reserve for harder terrain.

I have an enduro bike with180mm of travel at both ends. On typical easy trails, I barely use half of that travel. It is still dialed perfectly. When I get on rowdy DH trails, thatís where I want it to utilize all of its capabilities. In a sense, you should setup your suspension for the most difficult terrain you plan on ever hitting.

mtbr member
    If you used almost all of the travel on a mellow trail, Iíd argue that you have it setup too soft. Even on chunky trails, if there are no jumps, drops, or g-outs, I donít think you should be going deep into the travel on a long travel bike like a Bronson.

But really, the goal should be to get the suspension setup feeling good, and not chase the amount of travel used. Personally, my starting point is to find an air pressure where I use 80-90% of the travel when I bounce on it and compress as hard as I can, with compression damping wide open. For the fork, Iíll add low speed compression damping until it doesnít feel like it diving too much with hard braking. For the shock, Iíll add low speed damping until it feels supportive when bouncing on it and doesnít bob too much when pedaling.

Iíve found that if I set up my suspension to feel super plush on mellow trails, it feels pretty unstable when riding fast in chunky stuff. So I like to err on the side of too much pressure, rather than too little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starwave View Post
    Kevin,

You're likely right. I'm used to riding a hardtail, so I usually ride "conservatively" [slow] as well

Looks like you get it.

You should expect to get a variation in travel...less in mellow terrain and more in rougher terrain. Same as a fork. As Kevin suggests, you could remove the spacer if you want more travel at a given pressure in mild terrain, but it's probably counter productive.

mtbr member
    You cant set sag on debonair cans. It flat out does not work.

Try for yourself. Empty the shock and pump in 25 psi. Check sag. Pump in another 25psi (now at 50psi). Check sag... so now you established how much 25 psi changes sag from 25-50. Now add 25 psi, your sag decreases exactly the same from 25-50 as it does from 50-75. Keep doing this. Somewhere around 175-200ish psi, sag stops changing because you're sitting in the equalization area. Well, it does change, but now its non linear and no longer makes sense. 10 more psi might give the same change at 20 more psi, within any margin that a person could reasonably eyeball.

Debonair forces sag around 35%. To get from 35% to 30%, you have to insanely jack up the spring rate.

In short, you're oversprung. Or maybe even undersprung. Since sag is not helpful with debonair, you have to adjust by pressure and feel.