mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Norco Sight 27.5 or 29

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my bike. I currently ride Reid Vice 3.0 (Aggressive hardtail with plus wheels - 27.5 x 2.8) to all rounder dual suspension bike.
    I am in Australia, I ride Buxton MTB park, Lysterfield MTB park regularly and occasional visit to other MTB parks.

I am looking at 2019 Norco Sight to become my ultimate all mountain bike but I can't decide on wheels size. I am 180-183cm tall (6 foot) so that means large bike is right size and I can either get 27.5 with more suspension travel, longer stem or 29 with less suspenion travel with shorter stem

So any of you who rides that bike, which wheel size did you chose and why?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I bought a 2018 29er Sight. I was coming off a 2015 27.5 Range. I had my mind set on buying a 29er. I landed on the Sight after demoing a whack of bikes. I dont regret my purchase but in hindsight, I probably should have gone for a rip on the 27.5 too.

Norco Sight 27.5 or 29-fullsizeoutput_73.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I did a day long demo of Sight 29 L zise, it was solid. If you have a lot of roots & rocks to roll over - I'd go for 29, if you like quick flow stuff, tight turns/switchbacks - 27.5 would be more playful. I myself am 183cm tall and Sight 29 L size with me on top has been pretty nimble on curvy stuff. But I was riding for 3 days straight before that, so probably could manage anything .

Personally I prefer 29ers, riding a lot of roots & rocks & loose gravel up & down.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by borisotto View Post
    I did a day long demo of Sight 29 L zise, it was solid. If you have a lot of roots & rocks to roll over - I'd go for 29, if you like quick flow stuff, tight turns/switchbacks - 27.5 would be more playful. I myself am 183cm tall and Sight 29 L size with me on top has been pretty nimble on curvy stuff. But I was riding for 3 days straight before that, so probably could manage anything ;-).

Personally I prefer 29ers, riding a lot of roots & rocks & loose gravel up & down.
    Mine is a large 29er as well. I would echo the above. I have never once found my Sight to be cumbersome in even the tightest switchbacks, up or down. That is not an issue.

I wish manualling it was a touch more effortless but I have felt that way about all the bikes with the "modern geo". Relatively speaking, manualling this bike was easier than all the ones I demoed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hello all,
    Thanks for all answers!
    That help me to get the idea what you guys was telling me.
    Yes, I once demoed norco sight 29er and I rode on xc/trail, heaps of roots, rocks and that bike made it really easy.
    I usually ride in nice and smooth, fast flowing trails so I think I'll go with 27.5 but I'll make it 2.6 wide so it will have great grip overall with 160mm travel in fork. That should be one playful bike for everything.

How did 29er feel in fast and flowing trails?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboarderVB View Post
    Hello all,
    Thanks for all answers!
    That help me to get the idea what you guys was telling me.
    Yes, I once demoed norco sight 29er and I rode on xc/trail, heaps of roots, rocks and that bike made it really easy.
    I usually ride in nice and smooth, fast flowing trails so I think I'll go with 27.5 but I'll make it 2.6 wide so it will have great grip overall with 160mm travel in fork. That should be one playful bike for everything.

I don't want to sway you one way or another here, but for nice and smooth, fast flowy trails, I would think that most would go for a 29er.

I will let others chime in on this though.

One thing I would recommend unconditionally - if you can, get some ride time in on both. Or at least one. Internet advice on something like this, while interesting and exciting, may not prove to be of benefit to you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    One thing I would recommend unconditionally - if you can, get some ride time in on both. Or at least one. Internet advice on something like this, while interesting and exciting, may not prove to be of benefit to you.[/QUOTE]

Yes my friend bought 2019 norco sight a3 with 27.5 wheel size
    I rode for a bit on the trails and it was fast accelerating bike and felt comfortable over any rocks and roots.

Just the wheels size is something I need to think about. Maybe I can hire sight 29 and try it out with my friend so i can compare both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Also I was doing alot of research, they all show Norco sight 29, not much 27.5.
    Such as
    From Flow mtb, aus
    https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/t...o-sight-c-9-2/
    They say they felt like 27.5 on 29er....still feel nimble bike and at Derby, Tas....best place to test the bike

From PinkBike, they rate it highly
    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/norco-si...view-2017.html

They all kept saying norco sight 29er is ripper bike for anything! Is that true guys?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    If the bike size is right fo you - 29er will have no issues whatsoever. I can do couple of things better on 27.5 compared to 29 in very tight spots (but that's more about my skill level rather then bike's qualities), but for flow I feel no difference.
    If you have a chance - try Sight 29 and decide based on your feeling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    They all kept saying norco sight 29er is ripper bike for anything! Is that true guys?
    Its a very good bike. But just like with getting married - its always worth to have a test drive before.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have not tried a Norco but recently had a Knolly 27.5 Endorphin, and am now on a 29 Fugitive. They are not the same but similar enough, and not far off the Sight. 29, every day, all day. No down sides at all. Rolls over better, corners just as well or better, tight corners are no more difficult, faster up, faster & smoother down, and pops better. This last one may have to do with the shock tune.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I do not own a Sight, but I have ridden them in both wheel sizes and prefer the 27.5. My issue with the 29" Sight and all 29ers in general is the wheels, I am hard on wheels, a 29er wheel that stands up to my abuse is too heavy & sluggish for me to pedal around on longer rides unless it's carbon. Carbon is the only way to get an acceptably light and snappy feeling wheel that's stiff & strong enough for the way I ride. My local trails are filled with spots where I need to slow to a crawl then put in a hard acceleration, with heavy wheels, this really sucks after a while.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I have not tried a Norco but recently had a Knolly 27.5 Endorphin, and am now on a 29 Fugitive. They are not the same but similar enough, and not far off the Sight. 29, every day, all day. No down sides at all. Rolls over better, corners just as well or better, tight corners are no more difficult, faster up, faster & smoother down, and pops better. This last one may have to do with the shock tune.
    Agreed. That said, we are both rockin carbon wheel sets. Not sure how much that matters for me. The 29er Sight demo I had before I bought mine had pretty generic alloy hoops and it ripped too.

27.5 is almost dead to me. I may try 27.5+ next on my Honzo, but 27.5...I probably won't buy another. In this lifetime or the next.

It's an accurate statement to say that most of the guys I know riding 27.5s right now, are lusting after a 29er. In my area, it seems that 27.5s are on a hard decline (except for physically smaller riders), and hardtails are gaining more and more momentum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Now that's interesting....
    Look like 27.5 could be a thing of the past with many new trails bike that suit 29 better for larger guys. For smaller guys, they are better off with 27.5 still.

Ah carbon wheels will make a difference if you owns alloy dual mtb such as Norco Sight A3? Like, it will be smoother or save a lot of weight?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    For me the biggest thing about a carbon wheel set is that for 29 inch wheels in particular, there is a shit load less flex on cornering. I personally don't find the weight difference that much of a deal. Despite the fact that I own 2 carbon wheel sets, I could easily be happy rockin a set of alloys.

I think though that it would be time very well spent to get a little bit of time in on booth the 27.5 and the 29er if you can. Real time - trail time. Go with your heart. Whatever puts the biggest smile on your face.

Good luck, and enjoy the journey, which can be just as much fun as the destination.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ahh interesting, didn't realise that carbon doesn't flex much when cornering...

Yes I agree, I just need to set time with my friend who is riding 27.5 and I care hire sight 29 and we can ride same trails twice and that's where I will make my decision after all. Defo the one that bring biggest smile will be best test after all!

mtbr member
    I ride a 29er Sight. My last bike was a 29er, so it seemed like a natural choice to me.

I like the slightly better rollover of the larger wheels all around, and they seem faster downhill too. I'll gain time consistently on riders on smaller wheels especially if the trail is either fast and flowy, or if I can let the bike just run and float over chunkier sections. On tighter trails where there are repeated tight turns at speed, or numerous small things to whip the bike around, the smaller wheeled bikes will gain time on me. I'd say if your style is more to ride a sweeping, efficient line you'll like the 29er better.

The Sight is no slouch at speed, and excelled in the techy stuff in S Utah last weekend. Norco got the handling nicely balanced, with plenty of room to get your body weight back for big rock rolls and drops.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk