Noob to the game- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Noob to the game

First, thank you letting me be a part of the community, and..... Barely started the scene and already asking the age old question of which bike. I will go ahead and apologize first. However I have a chance at getting an 07 spec. fsr xc for a decent price and cheap for getting a 15 scott scale frame. I currently have an 08 hardrock and can transfer parts over to the scott if I do get it, however, I've never tried a fs bike so have no idea what difference there would be of the two. Of course it may be comparing apples to oranges, but would like to know your thoughts as a seasoned mtbr would have a better concept of preferred bike. Do appreciate all of the assistance. Thank you in advance.

Short-Change-Hero
    Welcome to the madness... Yes you are comparing apples to oranges, not only in type of bike but also tech changes between the years.

Get whatever you max budget can afford you and go from there. If you get into it you will be looking for upgrades shortly regardless as you get better and find the limits of your current bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Welcome to the madness... Yes you are comparing apples to oranges, not only in type of bike but also tech changes between the years.

Get whatever you max budget can afford you and go from there. If you get into it you will be looking for upgrades shortly regardless as you get better and find the limits of your current bike.

this is true, but don't know if I will ever find the limits of the bike but I have upgraded most if not all components on my bikes that I did not build from the frame up.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    this is true, but don't know if I will ever find the limits of the bike but I have upgraded most if not all components on my bikes that I did not build from the frame up.
    True. So if you are not finding the limits of the bike then upgrades become an more ancillary part of the bike vs. a necessity.

In this case;
    Necessity would potentially equal finding the limits of your bike, breaking a major component, outgrowing said bike, or parts availability necessitating a change (e.g. parts no longer available or cost of said parts is restrictive).

Outside of that, the ancillary part is where you are replacing more out of maintenance/wear and tear than anything else. In that case, the shock is dying and thus needs to be replaced however the same brand/model is no longer available or has been upgraded. Again this become more part of the maintenance and upkeep of the bike.

Most importantly, get whatever your max budget can afford as that "should" hopefully get you out on the trails more and allow you to be more "current" with the trends. Robert (B1KER B1) just talked about this in a recent garage talk about where just because you are getting a hardtail does not mean that it is any less of a bike than a full suspension. You can still have tons of fun on a hardtail vs. full suspension and it will teach you different skill sets. Sometimes new riders associate getting a hardtail with getting a cheap bike, when in all actuality it is still a phenomenal bike for what they are doing. This is why I say, get whatever your max budget can afford, if that is a higher spec'd hardtail vs. a lower spec'd fs, then you are doing better with the higher spec'd hardtail in the long run. Why? because those parts have the potentially to be shifted to a fs frame later down the road if you so desire.

To many times you see new riders looking at bike purchases as just a thing instead of looking at it as an investment. If you invest properly, you can potentially continue to move that investment from one bike to the next, to the next and so on (depending on timeframe between).

With that, for the OPs two different bikes (07 FSR vs. 15 Scale) I would personally go with the Scale to get a better, more current frame/geometry. Swap the parts from the old bike that will fit and upgrade those parts as needed. The full FSR will potentially be more time consumptive and costly simply because of the fact that it is a much older bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Depending on the frames you may not want to move the fork over if its a straight steerer low end coil spring model. Wheels could also be low end and quick release. The Scale should take thru axle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks to the response gentlemen, that does help alot. I was favoring the scale but didn't know if I'd be missing out on a fs bike. I do have a manitou marvel that I would like to put on it but not sure of its capability as it is 9mm qr, prob older 650b wheels. Once again thank you for your insights. Something I wouldn't have came up on my own.

mtbr member
    I agree, get the Scale! That Manitou Marvel will serve you fine for years to come especially as 650b! Ainít nuthin wrong with 9mm qr, it had been the standard for decades. Gotta luva Manitou!

Short-Change-Hero
    Long as you have a 9mm QR wheel you are good to go. Like EB said, main thing to worry about is that the parts are compatible with your new frame. There are plenty of deals out there for stuff here and there and look for some new take-off deals on places like Pinkbike for other deals.