mtbr member
    Apr 2010

The Noise My Giant Makes

Hi All, I have a 2016 Giant Anthem Advanced Carbon SX bought new in April 2017 at LBS. After a couple months it started a creaking sound and got worse before finally taking into the shop. Fast forward to Feb 2018, LBS has disassembled the BB, linkage and everything they can think of including replaced the rear wheel but the sound keeps coming back. It's loud enough to be annoying to friends next to me and has been going on far too long.

The creaking sound (I can only describe it as an old Chevy suspension) pulses with the pedal cadence. Hard to tell exactly where it comes from because the vibration travels thru the carbon but after this much time we have ruled out anything bear the BB / front chain ring area, which is why they replaced the rear wheel thinking the interface between the hub and gear cog was faulty.

I have elevated it to Giant customer service and they have made empty promises about having the area rep come take a look and now they don't return my calls. LBS says ride it 'till it breaks.

First question, would it be reasonable to ask for a full refund given I am not getting any cooperation finding a resolution?

Second, anybody know if I can elevate this above the customer service rep who doesn't take my calls or return them?

I'm pretty frustrated at this point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Not sure about Giant customer service, but I'd focus efforts on the LBS. It presumably will be more responsive to you than Giant, and Giant will be more responsive to the LBS than to you. Let the LBS advocate on your behalf with its Giant rep, who makes money by getting the LBS to by more Giant stuff. The LBS doesn't want you unhappy and the Giant rep shouldn't want the LBS being unhappy it has a pissed-off customer.

Telling you to just suck up the creaking because LBS can't find the source and ride it until it breaks is not the answer. Let them get Giant to warranty the frame. The LBS either missed something or there's a defect in the frame. Either way, it shouldn't be your problem. Anyone can sell bikes. It's when problems arise that an LBS needs to show why it's vital and you shouldn't just buy everything on-line.

mtbr member
    Look for the break already! If it's making a racket like that and you're sure you've narrowed down every possible solution - headset, pedal to crank interface, BB, chainring to crank interface, seatpost, saddle/post etc - then most likely it's cracked and/or your shop doesn't have a fvcking clue. You're only other option is to take it to another Giant dealer and have them look at it or wait for the rep.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

EAT MORE GRIME
    rear thru axles and rear der, and rear replaceable dropouts can creak and make
    it seem like it's the crank or pedal or BB

disassemble all that, take out der and rear dropouts, and clean and reassemble.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    rear thru axles and rear der, and rear replaceable dropouts can creak and make
    it seem like it's the crank or pedal or BB

disassemble all that, take out der and rear dropouts, and clean and reassemble.
    Yes, it's worth cleaning and re-tightening the rear axle..

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have same bike, also 2 other giants, creaking noise was from the rear axle not being tight enough. It would come and go, would l retighten axle and it would go away for awhile. A friend of mine also bought new carbon anthem first ride creaking noise, we pulled over I tightened rear axle on his bike noise gone. Good luck. I hate creaks

mtbr member
    Had a similar situation,was convinced the creak with in the BB because I could hear and FEEL it coming from the BB

a little grease on the rear axle and it went away

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. I gave up on customer service and called LBS back. They got hole of customer service and were told to tell me to but a new cassette. I'm not doing that without a push back so I called SRAM and got hold of a great guy named Nick. I explained my situation and that the bike is less than a year old and has probably 800 miles on it. With that he said he could probably warranty it and also he had records of 8 previous XG-1180 cassettes with similar conditions. Now I need to figure out how to remove the cassette without the proper tool. Maybe use and old chain and vise grips?

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FKipper View Post
    Now I need to figure out how to remove the cassette without the proper tool. Maybe use and old chain and vise grips?
    Buy the proper tool.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies. I gave up on customer service and called LBS back. They got hole of customer service and were told to tell me to but a new cassette. I'm not doing that without a push back so I called SRAM and got hold of a great guy named Nick. I explained my situation and that the bike is less than a year old and has probably 800 miles on it. With that he said he could probably warranty it and also he had records of 8 previous XG-1180 cassettes with similar conditions. Now I need to figure out how to remove the cassette without the proper tool. Maybe use and old chain and vise grips?
    dude... no! Buy the proper tools!! You can get both for under 40.00 and you will use them in the future for sure.

mtbr member
    Does the bike creak when pedaling out of the saddle? If not, it's probably your seat rails making noise at the shell or even at the post clamp. Just something else to check.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies. I gave up on customer service and called LBS back. They got hole of customer service and were told to tell me to but a new cassette.

Did anyone try a different wheel or cassette on your bike to confirm that that's actually the problem?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Buy the proper tool.
    Yep, will do today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Does the bike creak when pedaling out of the saddle? If not, it's probably your seat rails making noise at the shell or even at the post clamp. Just something else to check.
    Thanks for the suggestion. So far every suggestion on this thread has been tried, and appreciated, including a new wheel assembly from Giant, although the rim colors aren't the same as original and don't match the front now, oh well.

If the splines on the hub are new, the cassette could be the culprit. SRAM said they found past warranty repairs with creaking cassettes. I'm looking forward to inspecting, trusting myself more than LBS at this point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Lube the pedals

Hi All, I have a 2016 Giant Anthem Advanced Carbon SX bought new in April 2017 at LBS. After a couple months it started a creaking sound and got worse before finally taking into the shop. Fast forward to Feb 2018, LBS has disassembled the BB, linkage and everything they can think of including replaced the rear wheel but the sound keeps coming back. It's loud enough to be annoying to friends next to me and has been going on far too long.

The creaking sound (I can only describe it as an old Chevy suspension) pulses with the pedal cadence. Hard to tell exactly where it comes from because the vibration travels thru the carbon but after this much time we have ruled out anything bear the BB / front chain ring area, which is why they replaced the rear wheel thinking the interface between the hub and gear cog was faulty.

I have elevated it to Giant customer service and they have made empty promises about having the area rep come take a look and now they don't return my calls. LBS says ride it 'till it breaks.

First question, would it be reasonable to ask for a full refund given I am not getting any cooperation finding a resolution?

Second, anybody know if I can elevate this above the customer service rep who doesn't take my calls or return them?

I'm pretty frustrated at this point.
    I had similar situation, lbs and giant scratching heads and all. Turned out it was squeaky left pedal. Discovered by accident when I upgraded. Canít believe other people did not jump in to suggest pedals immediately.

NedwannaB

Curiosity bump!

Thanks for the suggestion. So far every suggestion on this thread has been tried, and appreciated, including a new wheel assembly from Giant, although the rim colors aren't the same as original and don't match the front now, oh well.

If the splines on the hub are new, the cassette could be the culprit. SRAM said they found past warranty repairs with creaking cassettes. I'm looking forward to inspecting, trusting myself more than LBS at this point.
    What a nightmare hassle but you've left us in suspense on what the culprit is/was! Contemplating an Anthem Adv 2 but maybe an alloy frame would be better and use the extra dough on a carbon wheelset upgrade.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hi Not sure if your creaking has been fixed but I have a 2018 Fathom 1 which developed the same issue after 3 weeks of owning it. It started after the rear free hub failed (replaced under warranty) after weeks of taking every component off and re greasing, it turned out that it was grit that got behind the rear mech hanger. Take it off, clean it and degrease it then apply fresh grease and tighten back up. No creaks on mine since i did this 2 months ago

mtbr member
    Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    You got it 😂🚲

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Creak has turned into more of a "long" click sound, maybe it's something different. Pedals where replaced, maybe I'll start the cycle all over again.

mtbr member
    rear derailleur? ive read that can sometimes cause squeaking where it mounts to the frame, iirc

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^^
    Worth a try.

mtbr member
    Not sure if I missed it but has anyone suggested the seatpost might need a little bit of grease?

I also had a creak once coming from a velcro strap I had holding a spare tube attached to my frame across some cables. Whenever the triangle moved the cables shifted slightly and would cause a creak because the strap was pressing on the cable. Probably not applicable but thought I would mention it just in case.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I had a creak recently and it went along with cadence at Times. I replaced my entire headset but i think it ended up being the crown race on the fork. Dirt got up in it and that was it. It sounded much lower to me and I worked the bike from back to front. As I checked things off the sound got louder at the headset. I could just be an idiot but that creak really sucked. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm surprised to hear about all the bikes with creaks for one reason or another. The headset is something I haven't checked yet, I'll do that and the seat post. I must be something dumb that I haven't thought about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hi guys, read all the thread, I can't give you any advice about legal aspects of your case (LBS behaviour, warranty, Giant's official etc), but I maintenance bike last 10 years as the hobby.
    Here some of the most useful tips, which can be used to solve your issue with creaks
    - as a carbon frame owner you should use carbon assembly paste (I prefer Morgan Blue). Use it whenever carbon and alloy have friction (carbon to carbon the same). The paste allows you to apply less torque value.
    - use thread-lock (blue) for any bolt which is under heavy load (chainring's bolts, RD, seatpost's clamp bolt. You can use consistent grease also, but threadlockers are do this job better, especially on MTB bikes.
    - check manuals (probably for each component). You need them to prepare list of torque value for each bolt on your bike. Torque value is crucial for carbon and alloy frames and components. Moreover, you should to know that creaking can be caused by overtightened bolts.
    - apply a little bit grease to any thread and bearing (I use SRAM PM600, awesome one).

In your particular case, disassemble headset, clean bearings and assemble it with appropriate torque values (both for stem and top cap), overtightened headset can be the culprit of creaking. Check the chainring's bolts.

P.S. Take my apologies about the grammar, English isn't my native, I do my best
    Last edited by $wift; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey thanks for the input $wift. Chain ring bolts have been changed several times. I need to disassemble the BB again to see if there is anything needing grease and the head set hasn't been disassembled yet. Got some more work to do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Chain ring bolts have been changed several times.
    Changing the chainring bolts by itself don't lead you to happy end. If the thread is ok, the bolt shouldn't be replaced. Replacing one bolt to another don't solve the creaking issues because the bolt isn't the culprit of creaking, but the friction is. I've placed the link below, it can help you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hWfpU_RL_Y

Try to apply any adhesive grease (Finish Line produces one).
    Good luck. Hope you solve the issue.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue and went crazy.... Changed everything, but did finally figure it out. Mine would only make the noise under hard pedaling or climbing in low gear. If your rear axle is tight, pull the hanger off. Grease between the hanger and frame and reinstall. Every 6-8 month's my creak would come back and I would just remove and grease and all good again. it took me about a year of changing parts to figure it out.

I dream on two wheels
    One of my creaks stopped after greasing the free hub body and reinstalling the cassette. Another one, I had to grease where the steer tube meets the crown of the fork.
    Whiskey