mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Newbie needs some help!

Hey Everyone!

My name is Mitch and I just joined here tonight on mtbr. I enjoyed riding when I was younger and have decided I want to get back into the hobby. I'm super excited and looking to buy my first bike ASAP.

Ill be riding on light/moderate trails. No hardcore or big jumps. I'm looking for the best entry level mountain bike I can get for the money.

Here is my question: I was in my local REI today and they have one last Ghost Kato 6 left from last year. I was told Ghost is a reputable German brand bike. My price on this bike is $720. I was told its a $1200 bike. Is this a good entry level mountain bike? Is it worth the extra money over something like a Giant Talon 3 or a Marlin 5/6 that I can pick up for about $500. Please let me know your thoughts. Is that extra $200 or so worth it for the Kato 6?

I'm a bigger guy too about 5'11 and 255lbs. Should I buy this ghost Kato or go with a name brand entry level bike like Giant, Spec ect.

here is a link to the Ghost Kato 6 they have.

https://www.rei.com/product/125875/g...7529-bike-2018

Thank you guys so much for the help and I'm looking forward to being here on the forums!

Turns right to go left
    If it fits you, at that price, the Ghost would be a wise pick. That is a decent spec'ed bike for the money and it's backed up by REI.

WillWorkForTrail
    You could do a lot worse than the Ghost. It's a good place to start, and probably worthy of some upgrades once you feel like you can benefit from them.

mtbr member
    I'd get something like the Giant Talon 2 for $720 instead. The Ghost has really dated geo and you'll have to run a really long stem to get it to fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    The Talon 2 would definatly be an option. do you guys think these bikes will handle my weight (250) ok. I'm sure ill eventually save up to get a better fork but for the time being do you think I will have any issues

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch65 View Post
    The Talon 2 would definatly be an option. do you guys think these bikes will handle my weight (250) ok. I'm sure ill eventually save up to get a better fork but for the time being do you think I will have any issues
    Should be fine. Down the road when you start riding more aggressive you might have issues with the wheels staying true or breaking spokes.

Another option is the Fathom 2 which comes with an air fork (and a bunch of other stuff) for around $1100.

mtbr member
    Get that Kato and ride the piss out of it. All the components are solid. Hard to find a real air/oil fork on a bike under $1000. The $500 bikes have substantially worse brakes and fork.

A new-geometry equivalent bike would have slightly more rake and front travel, slightly wider handlebars and shorter stem, 1x11 or 1x12 gears, and maybe a dropper, and cost well north of $1000.