mtbr member
    Nov 2018

New used bike worth it?

So i am set on a full suspension bike. used is ok with me. Here in ft.myers FL its mostly roadies so Mt bikes are not as easy to get used. I went to trek and got fitted on the Fuel ex8. loved it but out of my price range and skill level. Im wanting the ex5 since its all the same frame just lower spec components that ill upgrade over time.
    It will be 2100 out the door but is new and has warranty.

A guy has one used 3 hours away from me. its a 2011 Fuel ex5, he added carbon handle bar and clip less pedals. he says "we used to ride 2-3 times a month (for about a year) then maybe once every 3-6 months and hardly ever now. " he wants 800. Online used value it says 400-450 in excellent shape. Would a offer of 400 be insulting and is the 2011 that much different angles wise then the 2018 that its not worth getting. from specs seems head angle is 2 deg different.

EAT MORE GRIME
    so offer the 400 and see what happens.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    so offer the 400 and see what happens.
    well sent him a 400$ offer. would that bike be worth to go up to 600$?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Show him the blue book on it.

Regarding differences, yes, the geo will be quite a bit different from new, as you already said 2 degree steeper headtube angle, etc. Also shock and fork tech has come a long way since 2011.

But it could be a good bike for you regardless...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 1track-mind View Post

Regarding differences, yes, the geo will be quite a bit different from new, as you already said 2 degree steeper headtube angle, etc. Also shock and fork tech has come a long way since 2011.

But it could be a good bike for you regardless...
    Is the difference that huge a novice like me will notice? It has a fox rear air and a coil front. I can always upgrade it to a modern upgrade since all the new stuff fits it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Blue book pricing is terrible. Don't know where they pull their prices from. But they are always very low. More important than price would be condition and size.

If the bike isn't the right size or if it's clapped out and not maintained it's not worth mich money.

Why not look online.... https://www.jensonusa.com/Banshee-Ru...ox-Jenson-Bike

mtbr member
    The bike is worth what you are willing to spend. If you think $600 and feel comfortable make an offer. The best thing to do is go look at the bike, take it for a ride, it should immediately feel right or not. That’s all that matters, best of luck. Rye
    99 SJ Pro FSR XC
    2015 SJFSR Comp EVO 650b
    YT Jeffsy 27 CF

Former United States Marine.
    “Boredom is self inflicted”

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    To me, that type bike and vintage should be priced under $1,000 just for starters, and it is, so that’s a good sign.

You need to see it in person and try it out for fit before tossing out the $400 offer. If it fits great, and is in great shape, you may decide that the $600 offer is way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can go with a lesser travel bike than the current 130/130 Fuel in your area.
    The 2011 is 120/120 and weighs 30lbs.
    You may want to check on availability of replacement bushings for the suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicywolf View Post
    Is the difference that huge a novice like me will notice? It has a fox rear air and a coil front. I can always upgrade it to a modern upgrade since all the new stuff fits it.
    Yes, its a huge difference. I wouldnt buy a 26er today.

If you like the fuel, im sure you can find a nice used on online and have it shipped. Theres a large fuel EX5 for $1400 or best offer on ebay right now, if a large works for you.

2 grand can get you a really nice bike used, just a couple years old, or a pretty low end new bike.

mbtr member
    Im wanting the ex5 since its all the same frame just lower spec components that ill upgrade over time.
    It will be 2100 out the door but is new and has warranty.

A guy has one used 3 hours away from me. its a 2011 Fuel ex5, he added carbon handle bar and clip less pedals. he says "we used to ride 2-3 times a month (for about a year) then maybe once every 3-6 months and hardly ever now. " he wants 800. Online used value it says 400-450 in excellent shape. Would a offer of 400 be insulting and is the 2011 that much different angles wise then the 2018 that its not worth getting. from specs seems head angle is 2 deg different.
    Getting a decent frame with cheapo components is like buying a bike twice, as you slowly discover why nobody wants cheapo components. Not recommended.

Angles have shifted slightly over the last 10 years, but that's not where the magic is. Look at wheelbase.
    well sent him a 400$ offer. would that bike be worth to go up to 600$?
    Depends on condition. Given that you have to drive 4 hours to pick it up that would drive the value way down for me since you're basically committed sight-unseen. Him accepting a lowball offer is kinda troublesome too.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1track-mind View Post
    bike blue book's real business is buying and reselling used bikes. They post up whatever values is good for their business. It's bullshit. ...Unless you can use it as a lowballing tool.

The best forks and the worst forks are coil. Almost all shocks are air and that doesn't tell us anything about if it's good or not. Today it probably doesn't matter, it depends on how fussy you are and where you want your mtb experience to take you.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Yes, its a huge difference. I wouldnt buy a 26er today.

If you like the fuel, im sure you can find a nice used on online and have it shipped. Theres a large fuel EX5 for $1400 or best offer on ebay right now, if a large works for you.

2 grand can get you a really nice bike used, just a couple years old, or a pretty low end new bike.
    Florida riding is well suited to older bikes, imo. The best 26'er tech is as good as 98% of the best 650/29er tech. Upgrading is a dead end, though. There's potential for a florida rider to get a phenomenal ride for cheaps cheaps cheaps... but i agree, avoid 26.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I missed the 26er part. $500 max. $800 is way too much.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Buy the new bike