Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by krystof View Post
    ty, I called Craig and he gave me all the info... I will be ordering the RS Super Deluxe RC3 which he will adjust to 62.5 and rework it I'm also going with RS up front, Boxxer red Lyric
    Correct decision. Great job.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Bike is up and running and had 2 days on the dirt. I am loving it already. Initial impressions. I do notice that you have to weight the front fork more and i am in the attack position more when riding, but it didnt take long to figure it out and i am faster on turns because of it. My quads burn more on this bike more than any other bike i have ridden and i have my seat all the way back and maxed out. This isnt only on the climbs (never really need to stand on the climbs) but just riding in general and when seated. Also, just like all the reviews, the bike does love to go fast and the faster you go, the better it handles. I notice that i have no power loss when pedaling out of turns and am pedaling in places where i normally dont because the bike is pretty efficient. Honestly, its not as plush as i though it would be, but i am still trying to dial it in for both the front and back. Lastly, this bike doesnt feel big to me at all, I had no front washout and i was absolutely trying for speed on corners and it never felt loose and this is w/ a 42 offset Lyrik and 50mm Stem.

My build w/ pics:
    -Enve 40mm rise carbon bars w/ 50mm Turbine 6 degree rise stem and 20mm spacers under. (I want to try a 50mm rise because i still feel a little hunched over right now). I felt like the reach was OK for me, but honestly i could use a little more. I had to push the bars forward some to get the reach i wanted, but then i felt the turning was slow and sluggish so i pulled them back some to get the quicker steering i wanted. Catch 22 i guess. Maybe I will take off the 10mm spacer I have left to get it a little higher and see.
    - 2019 RCT3 Lyrik 42 offset (not the 44 fox specs). Feels good so far, really supple off the top but wish i would have gone RC2 for the HSC but i got a killer deal on it that I couldnt pass up on it. When things get chundery and rocky I feel it in my hands and its doesnt plow through like i thought it would. Needs more tuning still and not enough time to really comment.
    - I am running the DHX2 but w/ a Cane Creek Vault spring @ 550lbs. My friend had the spring to use and mine came w/ a fox 450lb and i didnt even try with it on as I am 240ish pounds geared up, 230 dry and thought i was going to destroy the shock using it. I dont understand all the hate for the coil on this bike. I might have not enough time on it but so far it feels nice. Super firm in the first 20-30 percent then smooth. I dont notice it being super linear and believe me i have seen all the graphs and research. If anything I think it can be a little more plush and I am going to tune it and dial it in more. I am also going to get the MRP progressive spring (550lbs) sometime next week so i will report back with finding. I think it will be awesome because the first 25% will be 475lbs and ending 675lbs so it will be more plush off the top, where i think it could do a little better anyways and still not lose efficiency because of its high anti squat numbers.

Other items are just the standard DHF/DHR2, Code Rs, Next R carbon cranks, 9point8 200mm dropper, Diety pedals, Eagle drive train, and absolute black oval chainring. wrapped parts of the frame in 3M PPF (looks good IMO and cant notice it except it makes it a little shiny instead of matte) Any questions go ahead and ask.

Gunna get the fork dialed in more and coil and will report back, but so far just on Strava i have 3 new PRs for trails it said i have done 45, 46, and 46 times so i am a believer that this bike crushes it. For reference my last 2 bikes were a 18 Jet 9 RDO and a SC Tallboy 2 and all 3 trails were not all downhill bruisers, one is a flow trail w/ twist and no banks and this bike was still faster then both. Going to do more drops and rougher stuff tomorrow and hopefully Santa Cruz soon so we will see about how linear it really is with the coil, but now its fine. Just wanted to let you guys know my findings and experience on the bike, i have read through every post on this thread and it has been super helpful so maybe this will help someone else!

New mondraker foxy carbon 29-thumbnail.jpg
    New mondraker foxy carbon 29-3.jpg
    New mondraker foxy carbon 29-4.jpg
    New mondraker foxy carbon 29-6.jpgNew mondraker foxy carbon 29-7.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New mondraker foxy carbon 29-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks for all your input and great info on these bikes.. I'm glad I came across this thread and did my homework first before ordering...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    RSpark, good info.

Your observations about how the bike behaves matches mine.

At first my quads are over stressed due to a steeper seat tube angle, but I came to prefer the set up. Somewhere between 75.5-76.2 degrees for a STA is ideal imo.

I do wish they made an XXL for your size for the true Mondraker fit.

On the forks, take the money you saved and get an Avy cartridge for it and you'll have a better fork for the same cost as the Lyric.

Eager to hear about your coil shock results. I wish I could have ridden the coil my bike came with but I needed the cash of being able to sell it as brand new. Besides i'm a WW and knew Avy would make the lighter air shock work great.

Congrats!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Gentleman, just need a affirmation... I test rode a medium foxy and thought it was a good fit. Iím 5í10Ē normal build, legs, torso, arms are proportional lol. Due to the ďextremeĒ geometry specs the medium seems like the right fit.
    I usually ride a large in other bike.. I currrently own a large stupmjumper. Thoughts? Ty

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by krystof View Post
    Gentleman, just need a affirmation... I test rode a medium foxy and thought it was a good fit. Iím 5í10Ē normal build, legs, torso, arms are proportional lol. Due to the ďextremeĒ geometry specs the medium seems like the right fit.
    I usually ride a large in other bike.. I currrently own a large stupmjumper. Thoughts? Ty
    Sounds right to me but only you can decide. I build geo charts comparing new bike contenders to my existing bike and then think long and hard about what I want in the fit to be different from my current set up. I'm highly opinionated so that was easy to see for me Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

New mondraker foxy carbon 29

Hi, that mondraker foxy size frame is right for 6í1Ē? L or xL??
    Last edited by littlebon; 1 Week Ago at 11:27 PM.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    The KS Lev droppers have a very short overall length as well. I'm only 5'11" on a L and running a 175 and frankly could fit a 180 or even 185 dropper if KS made one.

Good to know that another option exists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebon View Post
    Hi, that mondraker foxy size frame is right for 6í1Ē? L or xL??
    I think a large would fit you best.

mtbr member
    New mondraker foxy carbon 29-e05e2e46-501c-4b84-b4d5-077bf3a70b50.pngNew mondraker foxy carbon 29-4bff13ad-466a-4dd6-8e6b-cee7ed57107d.png

This idea has been keeping me up at night. I just have to try it. First step will be to see if the progressive spring works well with the frame. If it does the shock will be sent off to Avalanche for super awesome mods.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by GearTech View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E05E2E46-501C-4B84-B4D5-077BF3A70B50.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	307.5 KB 
ID:	1237607
    Look forward to your results.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I am so torn and have been trying to decide if I should get the 500lb or 550 lb progressive spring! How much do you weigh? I am 230 dry and 240 kitted up? I am running a 550 spring now and still trying to get a feel for it.

mtbr member
    Im 220 max kitted up and run 30-33% sag. Iíve decided to lose a minimum of 20lbs as Iím carrying quite a bit of extra weight. With all these factors and considering the spring is progressive Iím going with a 400lb spring. That should give me the sag Iím looking for. Itíll probably be a little light until I shed 10lbs or so but thatís okay.

For you, how is the sag with the 550? Bottoming out? General feel?

ninjichor.com
    For progressive springs, isn't the spring rate the average? So if you came off a normal 400 lb/in spring, and went to a progressive 400 spring, it'd take the same force to bottom out? It'd just be softer earlier in the stroke and firmer for the end of the stroke?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    For progressive springs, isn't the spring rate the average? So if you came off a normal 400 lb/in spring, and went to a progressive 400 spring, it'd take the same force to bottom out? It'd just be softer earlier in the stroke and firmer for the end of the stroke?
    Sort of. MRP lists the rate at around 25% compression so it's not the average. It will take more force to bottom out because the linear rate equivalent goes up as you compress. So at 90% compression it's like you're running a 475# spring whereas at 25% it's equivalent to a 400# spring. The rate ramps progressively rather than linearly.

From MRP's website:
    Effective base rate:
    400 lb/in

Approximate linear-spring rate equivalent at 25% sag (rounded to nearest 25 lb. increment):
    ...on 51mm (2.0")stroke shock: 400
    ...on 55mm / 57mm (2.25") stroke shock: 400
    ...on 60mm stroke shock: 400
    ...on 63mm (2.5") / 65mm stoke shock: 400

Approximate linear-spring rate equivalent at 90% travel (rounded to nearest 25 lb. increment):
    ...on 51mm (2.0")stroke shock: 450
    ...on 55mm / 57mm (2.25") stroke shock: 450
    ...on 60mm stroke shock: 450
    ...on 63mm (2.5") / 65mm stoke shock: 475

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I don't have much to report about my own Foxy, except that I'm genuinely faster up/ down/ around. It's an easy bike to go fast on.

I'm not any braver so I still am looking for walk arounds on 6'+ drops but besides that, I've ended up being notably faster overall on the bike. I love the way the bike does everything, but especially the way it turns. A couple of my best riding buddies that use to drop me, I commonly drop them these days, which is really cool.

Weather has not cooperated with riding much lately however.

Will probably convert my Eagle to AXS once available.

I look forward to this whole coil shock with a progressive spring results thing.

No regrets and I feel this is a bike I'll ride for several years as it feels pretty future proof, for my application.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    No regrets and I feel this is a bike I'll ride for several years as it feels pretty future proof, for my application.
    Glad to hear you're loving it!

No way I'll go AXS. I went through 2 rear mechs last year alone. I can't stomach the idea of blasting an $800 derailleur. GX4Life!! LOL.

The only thing that would sway me from the Foxy 29 is a similar geo'd bike with a really good gearbox. Since a really good gearbox doesn't exist yet I'll stick with the Foxy. I hate derailleurs...

I did install the -1 cups recently. I haven't ridden it with the new geo yet as I slightly separated my shoulder on a ride/crash a little over a week ago. Giving it at least another week before I hit the trails hard again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    In my nearly 5 years of riding I've never killed one. There is one particular spot that banged up my shifting pretty good 2x in a row so I just walk it now. However that override clutch on the AXS would have prevented that particular damage. I think it'll run around $500 list, something I can buy for around $400 for just the derailler. The $2K price includes cranks, rotor, cassette, shifter and chain after all.

I'd love a 'good' gearbox bike as well, but I don't see that happening for quite some time.

You are going to like the -1 headset. At first I wasn't 100% sure, but I wouldn't go back now.

Here is hoping the shoulder gets to feeling better, did mine a couple of years back and it flippin' hurt at the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RSparkVB4 View Post
    Bike is up and running and had 2 days on the dirt. I am loving it already. Initial impressions. I do notice that you have to weight the front fork more and i am in the attack position more when riding, but it didnt take long to figure it out and i am faster on turns because of it. My quads burn more on this bike more than any other bike i have ridden and i have my seat all the way back and maxed out. This isnt only on the climbs (never really need to stand on the climbs) but just riding in general and when seated. Also, just like all the reviews, the bike does love to go fast and the faster you go, the better it handles. I notice that i have no power loss when pedaling out of turns and am pedaling in places where i normally dont because the bike is pretty efficient. Honestly, its not as plush as i though it would be, but i am still trying to dial it in for both the front and back. Lastly, this bike doesnt feel big to me at all, I had no front washout and i was absolutely trying for speed on corners and it never felt loose and this is w/ a 42 offset Lyrik and 50mm Stem.

My build w/ pics:
    -Enve 40mm rise carbon bars w/ 50mm Turbine 6 degree rise stem and 20mm spacers under. (I want to try a 50mm rise because i still feel a little hunched over right now). I felt like the reach was OK for me, but honestly i could use a little more. I had to push the bars forward some to get the reach i wanted, but then i felt the turning was slow and sluggish so i pulled them back some to get the quicker steering i wanted. Catch 22 i guess. Maybe I will take off the 10mm spacer I have left to get it a little higher and see.
    - 2019 RCT3 Lyrik 42 offset (not the 44 fox specs). Feels good so far, really supple off the top but wish i would have gone RC2 for the HSC but i got a killer deal on it that I couldnt pass up on it. When things get chundery and rocky I feel it in my hands and its doesnt plow through like i thought it would. Needs more tuning still and not enough time to really comment.
    - I am running the DHX2 but w/ a Cane Creek Vault spring @ 550lbs. My friend had the spring to use and mine came w/ a fox 450lb and i didnt even try with it on as I am 240ish pounds geared up, 230 dry and thought i was going to destroy the shock using it. I dont understand all the hate for the coil on this bike. I might have not enough time on it but so far it feels nice. Super firm in the first 20-30 percent then smooth. I dont notice it being super linear and believe me i have seen all the graphs and research. If anything I think it can be a little more plush and I am going to tune it and dial it in more. I am also going to get the MRP progressive spring (550lbs) sometime next week so i will report back with finding. I think it will be awesome because the first 25% will be 475lbs and ending 675lbs so it will be more plush off the top, where i think it could do a little better anyways and still not lose efficiency because of its high anti squat numbers.

Other items are just the standard DHF/DHR2, Code Rs, Next R carbon cranks, 9point8 200mm dropper, Diety pedals, Eagle drive train, and absolute black oval chainring. wrapped parts of the frame in 3M PPF (looks good IMO and cant notice it except it makes it a little shiny instead of matte) Any questions go ahead and ask.

Gunna get the fork dialed in more and coil and will report back, but so far just on Strava i have 3 new PRs for trails it said i have done 45, 46, and 46 times so i am a believer that this bike crushes it. For reference my last 2 bikes were a 18 Jet 9 RDO and a SC Tallboy 2 and all 3 trails were not all downhill bruisers, one is a flow trail w/ twist and no banks and this bike was still faster then both. Going to do more drops and rougher stuff tomorrow and hopefully Santa Cruz soon so we will see about how linear it really is with the coil, but now its fine. Just wanted to let you guys know my findings and experience on the bike, i have read through every post on this thread and it has been super helpful so maybe this will help someone else!

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	1235597

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	1235598

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	1235599

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	1235600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	1235601
    Hi Spark,
    Is it an XL? I've just ordered an XL, the alloy one with Monarch RL on the rear. I'm 188cm, how tall are you?! Your seatpost is so long!!
    Tnx... Waiting for my Foxy
    Marco

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Mods please delete, double post.
    Last edited by RSparkVB4; 3 Days Ago at 10:54 PM. Reason: Double post

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GearTech View Post
    Im 220 max kitted up and run 30-33% sag. Iíve decided to lose a minimum of 20lbs as Iím carrying quite a bit of extra weight. With all these factors and considering the spring is progressive Iím going with a 400lb spring. That should give me the sag Iím looking for. Itíll probably be a little light until I shed 10lbs or so but thatís okay.

For you, how is the sag with the 550? Bottoming out? General feel?
    The sag is right at 30-33% percent. If i just bunny hop in the parking lot and land to flat it will eat up all my travel and bottom out. I wouldnt notice it and dont feel it however i used a dry erase on the shaft and it completely erased to the bumper stop. Otherwise though i would never know. The only time i felt a bottom out on the trail was on a slow drop at low speeds and the rear hit hard. Other than that, I am still getting PRS on all the trails i normally ride but it still feels harsh in the rear and when I called Quarv they said I should be at a 500 spring and gave me their recommended setup which was a range of 7-9 HSC, LSC, HSR, and LSR from FULL OPEN. Fox gives a very different recommendation but again its not for this bike specifically, just for the DHX and spring rate. I was running it at fully open HSC and LSC with 12-16 LSR+HSR. I found the higher HSR helped it actually feel more planted and less harsh but still was harsh and slow in turns. The thing is, pedaling is amazing and i am pedaling in places i normally wouldnt and there is no wallow in the rear so IDK. I tried their (quarv) setup recommendations but it was after a 3 hr ride and on a flow like trail with minimal bumps so cant comment on it much. I think i am going to go with a 500 spring and re do my HSC/LSC and rebound. I have been watching all of VS Tuesday tech tunes and have a better understanding of everything now. I will say one thing, its a F'in rocket ship at straight line DH!!!

Lastly, my turning is still slower than i would like it to be on the bike. It might be that my 19 Lyrik is lacking mid stroke support and to soft in the middle. Sag is set to 22%, 110 psi, and use good amount of travel every rise and i never bottom out in the front. but i run the HSC open, and LSC at 4 from OPEN. Any more LSC and it felt harsh in the front too, maybe adding a token will help it. Lastly i have a 50mm stem with 6deg rise now and 35 mm clamp/40mm Enve riser bars. I am going to switch to a 40mm stem, 6 deg rise, 31.8 clamp/50mm riser bar. I want to see if getting rid of the extra 10mm will quicken up my turning. I have 20mm of spacers under my stem right now and to keep my same reach on the bike i would have to remove all but 5mm and that keeps my reach the same but drops my total stack by 23 mm but then i make it up with the 10mm rise from the 50mm bars. I want a 50mm carbon bar in 35mm clamp but they dont exist, so the 31.8 Enve it is.

And yes, to the other poster its an XL and i am 198mm, 105 kilo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RSparkVB4 View Post
    The sag is right at 30-33% percent. If i just bunny hop in the parking lot and land to flat it will eat up all my travel and bottom out. I wouldnt notice it and dont feel it however i used a dry erase on the shaft and it completely erased to the bumper stop. Otherwise though i would never know. The only time i felt a bottom out on the trail was on a slow drop at low speeds and the rear hit hard. Other than that, I am still getting PRS on all the trails i normally ride but it still feels harsh in the rear and when I called Quarv they said I should be at a 500 spring and gave me their recommended setup which was a range of 7-9 HSC, LSC, HSR, and LSR from FULL OPEN. Fox gives a very different recommendation but again its not for this bike specifically, just for the DHX and spring rate. I was running it at fully open HSC and LSC with 12-16 LSR+HSR. I found the higher HSR helped it actually feel more planted and less harsh but still was harsh and slow in turns. The thing is, pedaling is amazing and i am pedaling in places i normally wouldnt and there is no wallow in the rear so IDK. I tried their (quarv) setup recommendations but it was after a 3 hr ride and on a flow like trail with minimal bumps so cant comment on it much. I think i am going to go with a 500 spring and re do my HSC/LSC and rebound. I have been watching all of VS Tuesday tech tunes and have a better understanding of everything now. I will say one thing, its a F'in rocket ship at straight line DH!!!

Lastly, my turning is still slower than i would like it to be on the bike. It might be that my 19 Lyrik is lacking mid stroke support and to soft in the middle. Sag is set to 22%, 110 psi, and use good amount of travel every rise and i never bottom out in the front. but i run the HSC open, and LSC at 4 from OPEN. Any more LSC and it felt harsh in the front too, maybe adding a token will help it. Lastly i have a 50mm stem with 6deg rise now and 35 mm clamp/40mm Enve riser bars. I am going to switch to a 40mm stem, 6 deg rise, 31.8 clamp/50mm riser bar. I want to see if getting rid of the extra 10mm will quicken up my turning. I have 20mm of spacers under my stem right now and to keep my same reach on the bike i would have to remove all but 5mm and that keeps my reach the same but drops my total stack by 23 mm but then i make it up with the 10mm rise from the 50mm bars. I want a 50mm carbon bar in 35mm clamp but they dont exist, so the 31.8 Enve it is.

And yes, to the other poster its an XL and i am 198mm, 105 kilo.
    Ok I understand. With 10cm less, I'm gonna leave the seatpost lower and maybe also be quite ok with the stock 30mm stem (is your a 60?). I'll post you some photos of mine when it will be here... Take also into account that mine, or the alloy one, has also 76į vs 75,5į of seat angle respect to the carbon one. I the meanwhile I must wait for it for an other month...

mtbr member
    MRP Progressive Spring and Marzocchi Bomber CR initial impressions:

ITíS SO GOOD!!!

For reference Iím 220lbs ready to ride and Iím running the 400lb spring.

Itís like a combination of the small bump compliance of a coil and the progressive bottomless feel of an air shock.

On the initial ride I did my best to include as many situations as possible. These drops for example are 3í and 6í down at the landings

There was no detectable bottom out on the many times I hit them. I did bottom on the bigger one but i couldnít tell at all.

The mid stroke support is excellent. Pedaling is fantastic, no doubt a product of the Zero suspension design.

Traction is excellent. Most noticeable on flat, bumpy turns and during braking in rough sections. The bike feels more settled and predictable.

Pop off jumps and bunny hops arenít noticeably better or worse.

The Bomber CR is a very simple shock with only compression and rebound adjustments. However, it does have a great midvalve design and shim stack in the compression circuit. It is incredibly easy to get dialed in and it feels great once you do. With the efficiency of this suspension design Iím not sure complicated damper adjustments are totally necessary.

So it seems that the MRP Progressive spring delivers what it promises, to make coil shocks compatible with frames that donít have ideal ďcoil shockĒ leverage curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gigantic Hawk
    ^^^^
    Thanks for the report! Is your coil setup heavier than what came off the bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    ^^^^
    Thanks for the report! Is your coil setup heavier than what came off the bike?
    Absolutely it's heavier. It's sprung weight and it's lower in the frame so I don't mind. If I enter any XC type races I'll throw the DPX2 and light tires on it. Otherwise I just PR'd a couple decent climbs with the "heavy" coil lol.

Here's the Bomber CR, Float X2, and DPX2 Performance weights for comparison.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gigantic Hawk
    Thanks for the pics and weights!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234