Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Lol.

I don't think you realize how forces act upon that upper rail. It's also solid, whereas tubular rails are hollow.
    The frame has a lifetime warranty.
    I'm not worried.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Ya, I don't know the forces on upper rails or of good and evil, but regardless, I was just being facetious
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I demo’ed a Foxy29 pretty extensively and ended up with a Ransom. The ransom is way more plush! The cool thing about the ransom is you can put it in “traction mode” with the touch of your thumb and climb and descend in this setting without issue if your trails don’t dictate a full 170/170 travel. Traction mode reduces travel to 120mm and while in 120mm the bike still feels “good”. You also have an option of full lock out but I don’t really find that necessary.
    It would seem that the more likely comparison would be the Genius-Foxy or the Dune-Ransom. I've owned the latest Genius, it's what I had before getting the Foxy. The Foxy feels better in nearly every regard. The Genius is more progressive and feels a tiny bit more plush but it's mush less efficient. The geo on the Foxy is absolutely perfect for my needs. I haven't ridden a Ransom but I'd imagine it feels like a big Genius based on the reports I've read. I'm sure its amazing and extremely versatile.

The Foxy probably isn't the bike for everyone. The fact that I've PR'd every section of trail that I've ridden on the Foxy by a decent margin tells me that it's the bike for me. From trail rides to long climbs with long fast and technical descents, PRs on everything. Has me wondering how a Dune rides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Less efficient in what way? Does it bob under power that much even in "traction" mode?
    Honestly, I wanted a Foxy 29, as I'm currently riding a Foxy 275, but under no way would I consider it an upgrade, if it would be even harsher at the back end than my current rig. I'm after something more forgiving, and if the Ransom is that, then I might just buy it.
    I might miss how the Mondraker climbs under power, but if the downhills are better, than I'm willing to sacrifice a bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Here is the input I'll offer:

1) The stock Foxy I rode was harsh, front and rear. But it was also set up by a Pro Enduro Racer, that might have been the issue. Cause even the new Fox 36 felt quite harsh and that's independent of the bike. Also, on the demo ride, the bike bobbed what I considered excessive. I could actually look at the seat stays in relation to the seat tube and see them moving with every pedal stroke which I was surprised by, and took note of. Literally the demo bike tired me out after a 45 minute ride as it was so harsh. Also the demo bike was sort of an average spec whereas my Yeti was a top line build with Cf wheels, etc.

2) I've only ridden my own Foxy with the Avy modified Superdeluxe. It's more firm/ holds the bike up better than my Yeti 5.5 with an Avy X2 and RWC bearings by a bit. I'd say the rear suspension plushness on my Foxy feels close to how many other bikes I have ridden stock feel, like the new Mach 6, the new Bronson, the Ripmo, HT, etc... But it's not harsh at all like the demo bike was and it's dramatically more comfortable. It does not bob at all when being pedaled. So to summarize, it feels much less harsh than the demo ride, yet also has a much better pedaling platform. I love descending on the bike and I love the way it turns and fits. But the way it pedals is what really allows me to cover miles notably faster.

3) I don't Strava for a few reasons. Mainly I use my phone so much when riding anyways (music, running my business, unlocking my car) that I can't take an additional drain on the battery. As a business owner I have to stop and deal with dumb questions which would interrupt segments. So I don't have my ride times on my local trails. HOWEVER, I am MUCH faster on the Foxy than I was on my well loved Yeti 5.5. It's not even close. It's noticeable to me, it's noticeable to my riding buddies. I'm literally flying up stuff that I was poking up before.

I really thought when I ordered the Foxy 29 that I already had an amazing bicycle in the Yeti and that all I was gaining was a better fit and that it was essentially a lateral move for thousands of dollars. Really I just was in the mood for a new bike but told myself I was just wasting money. I also didn't even order my Foxy until I had closed a deal on a used Superdeluxe to go on the bike as I didn't like the OEM shock options.

Then I read the PB review just days after I gave my non-refundable deposit and was pleased to read that ML thought the bike pedaled really well. I knew Mondrakers had a rep as good pedalers and this was also a factor in my bike order. I was excited about the prospect that it might improve my pedaling performance over the heralded SI. ML also reiterated that it gave a lot of confidence on the steep gnar descents which is always a plus and something else I could use.

But then I rode my own Foxy 29 and realized it was actually a tremendous improvement all around. It did require a 3-4 ride learning curve to really get it to turn the way I needed it to. But this bike made me a MUCH faster rider over my Yeti 5.5.

I started about 5 years ago on an '08 26" Ibis. It was a fine bike to start on. I then moved to a Gen 1 Bronson. That bike only did one thing better than the Ibis, it gave me confidence on steep gnar. I then moved to the Yeti and it was a faster bike, but the position on it negatively effected my steep gnar descending abilities. But overall I was faster. Well the Foxy has that low back feeling the Bronson had giving me lots of confidence, while pedaling considerably better than the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here is the input I'll offer:

1) The stock Foxy I rode was harsh, front and rear. But it was also set up by a Pro Enduro Racer, that might have been the issue. Cause even the new Fox 36 felt quite harsh and that's independent of the bike. Also, on the demo ride, the bike bobbed what I considered excessive. I could actually look at the seat stays and see them moving with every pedal stroke which I was surprised by, and took note of. Literally the demo bike tired me out after a 45 minute ride as it was so harsh. Also the demo bike was sort of an average spec whereas my Yeti was a top line build with Cf wheels, etc.

2) I've only ridden my own Foxy with the Avy modified Superdeluxe. It's more firm/ holds the bike up better than my Yeti 5.5 with an Avy X2 and RWC bearings by a bit. I'd say the rear suspension plushness on my Foxy feels close to how many other bikes I have ridden stock feel, like the new Mach 6, the new Bronson, the Ripmo, HT, etc... But it's not harsh at all like the demo bike was and it's dramatically more comfortable. It does not bob at all when being pedaled. So to summarize, it feels much less harsh than the demo ride, yet also has a much better pedaling platform. I love descending on the bike and I love the way it turns and fits. But the way it pedals is what really allows me to cover miles notably faster.

3) I don't Strava for a few reasons. Mainly I use my phone so much when riding anyways (music, running my business, unlocking my car) that I can't take an additional drain on the battery. So I don't have my ride times on my local trails. HOWEVER, I am MUCH faster on the Foxy than I was on my well loved Yeti 5.5. It's not even close. It's noticeable to me, it's noticeable to my riding buddies. I'm literally flying up stuff that I was poking up before.

I really thought when I ordered the Foxy 29 that I already had an amazing bicycle in the Yeti and that all I was gaining was a better fit and that it was essentially a lateral move for thousands of dollars. Really I just was in the mood for a new bike but told myself I was just wasting money. I also didn't even order my Foxy until I had closed a deal on a used Superdeluxe to go on the bike as I didn't like the OEM shock options.

Then I read the PB review just days after I gave my non-refundable deposit and was pleased to read that ML thought the bike pedaled really well. I was excited about the prospect that it might improve my pedaling performance over the heralded SI. ML also reiterated that it gave a lot of confidence on the steep gnar descents which is always a plus and something else I could use.

But then I rode my own Foxy 29 and realized it was actually a tremendous improvement all around. It did require a 3-4 ride learning curve to really get it to turn the way I needed it to. But this bike made me a MUCH faster rider over my Yeti 5.5.

I started about 5 years ago on an '08 26" Ibis. It was a fine bike to start on. I then moved to a Gen 1 Bronson. That bike only did one thing better than the Ibis, it gave me confidence on steep gnar. I then moved to the Yeti and it was a faster bike, but the position on it negatively effected my steep gnar descending abilities. But overall I was faster. Well the Foxy has that low back feeling the Bronson had giving me lots of confidence, while pedaling considerably better than the Yeti.
    Man, I really appreciate your thorough comment, it really helps.
    What frame size do you have @ what height?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Cristescu View Post
    Less efficient in what way? Does it bob under power that much even in "traction" mode?
    Honestly, I wanted a Foxy 29, as I'm currently riding a Foxy 275, but under no way would I consider it an upgrade, if it would be even harsher at the back end than my current rig. I'm after something more forgiving, and if the Ransom is that, then I might just buy it.
    I might miss how the Mondraker climbs under power, but if the downhills are better, than I'm willing to sacrifice a bit.
    I’d say the Ransom or Dune would be your best bet if DH Performance is the absolute most important thing for you. In the traction setting the bike doesn’t bob excessively but I got tired of messing with the switching of the suspension on rides. The Foxy puts the power down more effectively.

Every bike will sacrifice one thing for another. It’s just a fact of life unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Cristescu View Post
    Man, I really appreciate your thorough comment, it really helps.
    What frame size do you have @ what height?
    I'm 5'11" with longish arms/ legs on a size Large, I have my seat as far back as the lines on the rails allow it to go, run a 35mm stem about slammed, 40mm rise bar, and have a 175mm KS Lev Ci dropper. The distance from the top of my pedals to the top of my seat is (EDITED) 36". The fit is beautiful. It's the first bike that feels 'normal' to me. I always felt a bit awkward on my other bicycles. I had to run a 60mm stem on my L Yeti 5.5 and it still felt short front to back.

If you are anywhere near Central TX, you can ride the thing. I know these are huge investments and these bikes aren't exactly common.
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 1 Week Ago at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Smile

I'm 5'11" with longish arms/ legs on a size Large, I have my seat as far back as the lines on the rails allow it to go, run a 35mm stem about slammed, 40mm rise bar, and have a 175mm KS Lev Ci dropper. The distance from the top of my pedals to the top of my seat is 33". The fit is beautiful. It's the first bike that feels 'normal' to me. I always felt a bit awkward on my other bicycles. I had to run a 60mm stem on my L Yeti 5.5 and it still felt short front to back.

If you are anywhere near Central TX, you can ride the thing. I know these are huge investments and these bikes aren't exactly common.
    I'm about 5'10", so a medium Mondraker is great for me, but unlike you, I have my seat as far forward and tilted downwards, for better climbing.
    Thanks for the invite, but I live on the other side of the ocean

New mondraker foxy carbon 29-vic_7629.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I think I'll demo both the Ransom and the Foxy 29 before I'll make up my mind.
    For me the sizing issue isn't that big of a deal, since I'm not that tall, and I'm in between sizes, so if I'm currently riding an M sized Mondraker with about 475 reach and a 30mm stem, If I'll buy a Capra of Ransom, I'll just get an L, which are a bit a shorter, at 465 mm, but with a 40mm stem and given a longer chainstay and a slacker head angle, I'm ok with that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GearTech View Post
    I’d say the Ransom or Dune would be your best bet if DH Performance is the absolute most important thing for you. In the traction setting the bike doesn’t bob excessively but I got tired of messing with the switching of the suspension on rides. The Foxy puts the power down more effectively.

Every bike will sacrifice one thing for another. It’s just a fact of life unfortunately.

Well, my rides usually consist of pretty long climbs, so it is important for me to conserve energy on the climbs, and I also appreciate traction on techy climbs, but the thing that drives me towards an upgrade is DH performance foremost.

mtbr member
    So you’re going to compare the downhill performance of a 150mm bike to a 170mm bike? Want me to save you some time?:-)

Perhaps you should try out a Dune, Ransom, and Foxy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's just a sick bicycle. Where I ride I have to pedal a LOT and usually under very challenging circumstances, followed by drops and chunk. The Foxy 29 just excels at this stuff allowing me to maintain a notably faster overall pace, while giving me newfound confidence in the steep stuff.

So pleased overall with this purchase.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This new EXT Stevia coil shock with the seperate hydraulic bottom out control sure sounds nice for this bike.

I slid my seat forward to try and get some additional angle on the seat tube and did a 15 mile ride like that. Flat didn't like it. My quads hurt and I didn't feel as powerful. I really feel that these really steep seat tube angles are getting a bit much. I would not want any steeper of a seat tube than I have currently on the Foxy.

Rode an SB130 today on pavement up a hill. It's not as efficient as the Foxy and both myself and the owner of the Yeti agreed, even though this Yeti had a much stiffer shock as it's owner outweighs me by 65#. It felt like a lot of bike, like a bit more bike than my Yeti 5.5. No real riding or time to adjust so hard to say for certain, but I also found the steering very floppy with that slack of a front end.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 1 Week Ago at 08:57 AM.

Gigantic Hawk

I slid my seat forward to try and get some additional angle on the seat tube and did a 15 mile ride like that. Flat didn't like it. My quads hurt and I didn't feel as powerful. I really feel that these really steep seat tube angles are getting a bit much. I would not want any steeper of a seat tube than I have currently on the Foxy.
    I think you'd just need to ride it more to develop the other muscles used. This is how triathletes ride. Not saying it's better, just that it's different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    What sizes are people running? At 188cm I’m between sizes and wondered which way I should go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm 5'11" on a large with a 35mm stem. If I had my druther's I'd want the bike 5-10mm longer so that I could run my seat a bit further forward and run the included 30mm stem and still be comfortable.

I'd lay out the dimensions of your current bike, add consideration for how you currently locate your seat, what length stem you run compared to the 30mm the Foxy is designed to utilize, and consider what you would prefer changed dimensionally compared to your current bike to decide between the L or XL Foxy.

I'd for sure take the XL at 188 cm but what I prefer and the way i'm shaped could be a lot different than you.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by sean44 View Post
    What sizes are people running? At 188cm I’m between sizes and wondered which way I should go.
    5' 8.5" on a medium. My inseam is about 29". My bike is currently stock, but will be switching to a higher rise handlebar to increase the stack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Taking a look at the -1 headset cups that came with my XR frame set, it appears I'd have to tap out the stock headset, and press in the -1 kit? Which I guess is no big deal but not certain if it's risky to go back and forth on this several times. Stretching out the frame or something.

I have zero complaints about how this bike performs, however as I look at literally every other brand new top end cutting edge Enduro type bike, I see that they all have head angles from 64-65.5 degrees. Wondering if the Foxy makes due without the negative effects of a super slack front end by virtue of having a longer front center, making the extra slackness redundant? Or if there might be some additional performance to be gained by dropping the Foxy to a -65 front end, while simultaneously making the seat angle .3 degrees steeper and dropping the BB by 3mm?

Thoughts on this?

Gigantic Hawk
    With most headsets (or cups) that adjust the angle, it is best to use the correct tool so that they line up correctly. I wouldn't worry about the frame as long as it is done correctly.

I have no idea if a slacker front end would be of benefit. I've ridden a few bikes that are slightly more slack, but it makes the trails I ride slightly harder due to their tightness.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123