New mondraker foxy carbon 29 - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demorider8 View Post
    Hello, do you guys also get scratches in your chainstay because of the rocks that come with the back tire? The tire clearance is very smalI and I am running the stock 2.3 maxxis agressor. This is worrying my a lot, I have only a few hundred km and it is already scratched a lot! Thank you!
    Yes, many scratches. They're superficial, I'm not worried about them at all. I've seen this on many other bikes as well. Santa Cruz for example.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I rode for a period of time with a stick stuck in between the tire and chain stay and when I pulled it out it had rubbed a significant notch into the chainstay.
    It's not that I don't care, it's just, what can I do?
    The nice thing is that I just love this bike and might well not replace it for half a decade or longer which makes wear and tear a bit irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Demo Ride Mondraker Foxy RR 29

Wow! Just had the chance to demo ride the Foxy RR. Fun bike.

Name:  YT-Thumb-Foxy-RR-29-2019-400.png
Views: 1689
Size:  234.0 KB

Here is a video I did of the demo ride:

https://youtu.be/I6MbxHLq64Y

I did NOT want to demo this bike.

It has a reputation of being long and downhill focused.

But I spoke with the rep and found out that while the bike is long, the head angle is reasonable at 66 degrees.

So I went for it.

Glad I did.

Bike climbed way better than I thought it would ... as well or better than the other bikes in this size category (with modern geo).

Descending was limited, but a blast. Felt like bike "glided" over serveral tech sections.

I've demoed 16 bikes in the last 3 weeks.

The Foxy was a big surprise. I'd put it in the Top 5.

Note: I did a video about HOW I demoed 16 bikes for $105 here:

https://youtu.be/T_hpTAe5jPI

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the review although few that ride/ review the Foxy 29 think it's only a DH rig. It just so happens to be a really good hard trail/ light enduro bike and can do anything other trail bikes (i.e. Ripmo, SB130, etc...) can do in a trail riding situation while also being superior in the steeps.
    They can take a ride or 2 to come to terms with the need to move more fore and aft to properly turn the thing but once you adapt, it's a manueverable trail bike.

mtbr member
    Its actually taken me almost a year to fully dial the bike in. Tips for anyone interested in shortcuts: 1) run loads of sag in the rear shock. Ie: 33% or more. 2) Raise the stack. The short Head Tube is way to short for those who fit the sizes. 3) throw out the rubber and get as Assegai front. Gives you confidence to ride the bike as intended!
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. Here is my input.

1) Qerv recommended 35% sag but I ended up at 31-32%. Avy told me that at 35% sag some bleed hole in the shock doesn't get exposed right and an air shock doesn't work correctly but I ended up at these numbers mostly using Shockwiz.
    2) I've been running a 40mm rise bar for years as it gets the handlebar height right while keeping reach long as I can slam the bars. The used forks I bought for this bike, the steer tube was cut pretty short so I have no where to go. But I'm happy anyways.
    3) I kill tires often, rears every 6 weeks or so and fronts every 2-2.5 months. I've yet to try the Ass-Guy, but I'm certain it has mad traction. I don't go for the most traction however, I go for the least rolling resistance that I can get, with passable traction. This results in me riding the fastest over the entire trail. Now that it is 95 degrees in TX it's even more important to have an easy rolling bike.

Gigantic Hawk
    I also agree on running a 40mm riser bar. I have about an 1" of spacers below the stem too. The riser bar not only increases the stack, but it moves your hands away from the steering axis which makes the bike more stable.

I think I'm around 32% sag, but getting the rebound dialed correctly makes a big difference on this bike too.

If you have an R build like mine, ditch the Sram brakes before they kill you. They are not strong enough for epic descents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I've put some enduro style stickers in the inner chainstay to avoid the scratches, it's working so far! What I need to figure out is what's the "normal" play that fox claims their bushings should have. The evol leg seems like it has more play than the damper one.. Also I notice a little oil in the station when it sinks more into its travel. Probably I will contact fox about this.
    About rear suspension, I'm also using around 30% sag and I really like the feeling of it!

mtbr member
    40mm rise bar is a great tip! Must try that. What sweep are you guys using?
    And yes, the guide Ts are rubbish. Only the RCT are of any value . Im currently on XT 4 pots and happy (swisstop e-pads), but hear great things about the formula curas and new Trps.

Final tip - I also placed a strip of 3M self moulding rubber over the chainstay protector and it got rid of the high speed chatter noise. Bike is quiet and feels smoother just because of me not hearing anything!

Ps: the MSC tires which may not be available in the USA are fast rolling. Try a Gripper in 2C compound. Great dry weather ĎEnduroí tyre. They run big. Donít let sizing fool. A 2.3 MSC Gripper is bigger than a 2.5 WT Maxxis.
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I wonder if that MSC rolls as fast as the Eliminator I've been on?
    I really only ride dry rocky conditions so that aspect sounds ideal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    40mm riser. Awesome.
    Deluxe R rear shock no spacers. Awesome.
    Angleset headset to 65į. Awesome.
    30mm headset spacer (1.91m tall so necessary).

Anyone managed to fit a 200mm rear rotor? If so which brand caliper?

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Professed View Post
    And yes, the guide Ts are rubbish. Only the RCT are of any value . Im currently on XT 4 pots and happy (swisstop e-pads), but hear great things about the formula curas and new Trps.
    I have a Renthal Fatbar Lite. 7 degrees back, 5 up. My hardtail has a Spank Oozy which is 6 and 4, and that also feels good. It pulls the rider a bit more forward due to wrist placement.

Quote Originally Posted by danlovesbikes View Post
    Anyone managed to fit a 200mm rear rotor? If so which brand caliper?
    Currently running Hope V4's, 200 front and 180 back. I currently don't have a need for a 200 out back, but would like to see some pics if you do it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ps: the MSC tires which may not be available in the USA are fast rolling. Try a Gripper in 2C compound. Great dry weather ĎEnduroí tyre. They run big. Donít let sizing fool. A 2.3 MSC Gripper is bigger than a 2.5 WT Maxxis.
    Do you also run the Tractive in the rear? How does it compare to other top tires in the category?

Thx

mtbr member
    Havnt compared the two directly but the MSC is a harder compound in 2C and Supershield casing is much stronger. Knobs a tad shorter as well so expect it would roll quicker.
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    Tractor isnít much good for anything but XC in my view. Side knobs too small. Rolls great and terrific straight line grip.
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    Just bought the geometry kit to slacken HA. Keen to see how things improve ( if they do!) hope it doesnít take away the bikes amazing all round abilities.
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You are going to dig the -1 headset.
    I did order the MSC Gripper but it'll be a month or so before I ride it. I'm actually building a new set of wheels so I might just save it for them.

mtbr member
    Soooo.... Anyone try a 27.5 rear yet? I know some of the guys from the distributor are running it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Mulleting my Fozy 29 occurred to me. In fact my wife's Foxy 27.5 has a rear wheel that would just bolt on in 1 minute, albeit with a much tamer rear tire set up.

I've blown the idea off just because for my purposes (pedal heavy trail riding) it would slacken and lower the thing more than I want to. Currently having new wheels built for the Foxy so I really thought about it for a moment.

Mullet bikes are the next big craze and is going to work well, especially for those riding size mediums and smaller.

Can anyone calculate the exact geo changes?

So the guys at Qarv are running them?

Did chat with an acquaintance of mine at Qarv. He is running mullet with the fork at 150mm and loves it. Bb about 13mm lower, slacker head angle. Not sure how much it slackens the STA which is the only part that doesn't sound good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Mulleting my Fozy 29 occurred to me. In fact my wife's Foxy 27.5 has a rear wheel that would just bolt on in 1 minute, albeit with a much tamer rear tire set up.

I've blown the idea off just because for my purposes (pedal heavy trail riding) it would slacken and lower the thing more than I want to. Currently having new wheels built for the Foxy so I really thought about it for a moment.

Mullet bikes are the next big craze and is going to work well, especially for those riding size mediums and smaller.

Can anyone calculate the exact geo changes?

So the guys at Qarv are running them?

Did chat with an acquaintance of mine at Qarv. He is running mullet with the fork at 150mm and loves it. Bb about 13mm lower, slacker head angle. Not sure how much it slackens the STA which is the only part that doesn't sound good.
    Yep, That's the guy I've chatted with. I'm on a Medium so it's something I'll try eventually. I'd to 150 front with the standard headset most likely.

mtbr member
    I was putzing around in the garage last night and thought I'd try to come up with a solution to debris flinging on to the shock. Introducing the CrapFlap. It is just a small piece of old inner tube and some zip ties. I'm sure someone else has done this. It works well and causes no interference with suspension movement and doesn't rub the frame weird in any way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gigantic Hawk
    I like it. I'm wondering if one of those flexible fork fenders will work back there. Need to pick one up to try it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I like it. I'm wondering if one of those flexible fork fenders will work back there. Need to pick one up to try it.
    I thought of that too. I't might work, the only issue would be it hitting the frame on full compression.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Debating on going air but need some input. I have the DHX2 and have tried SLS spring, MRP 500 and 550 progressive spring. I weigh 230-235 no gear. Each time it got better but im still not 100 percent happy with how its tracking and handling. Im faster on everything and it gets me out of some trouble, but it just doesnt feel like i think it should. On landings it feel supportive, but tracking on berms and repeated hits it feels harsh and traction is lost. I have it HSC fully open and i have played with HSR and LSC and LSR. It gets better but not to what i think it should. I called Craig over at Avalanche and got a lecture from him about sending my DHX2 and how it would basically be a waste of time and air is a better option, even over the CR Bomber. Only problem is, im on the upper limits for weight and will have to get it serviced sooner or might feel harsh due to high PSI.
    It blew my mind when i set a PR on my buddies Giant Reign on a trail i have ridden 20 time on my own bike the FIRST time on his. His bike just absorbed the trail chatter and railed corners and was composed and had grips for days. My foxy doesn't feel as composed on repeated hits and berms as a coil should IMO. Straight line is fine, still harsh, but its the back to back hits and small bump fast hits that is throwing off traction for me. So im looking at the Super Deluxe RC3 205x65. Is this what some of you have? What mods do i need to do to mount to our 62.5?

FWIW, here is what i have done so far to make a huge improvement on my bike...
    I have the headset spacers maxed out to increase stack
    tried 30, 35, and 40 mm stem. 40mm worked best for me.
    Im changing my DHF/DHR2 (both exo) to Vigilante and Trail Boss combo. Exo sidewalls are to squirmy for me and if i pump them up to get them supportive the less traction i have. The WTB combo has stiffer sidewalls that will be more supportive in cornering.
    The Slacker cups are on order from Quarv, just waiting to get them in.

Thanks for input.

Gigantic Hawk
    Don't think this will help much, but I'm around 165 kitted up. I run the stock Fox DPX2 at about 150 psi. I don't remember what the rebound is set too, but it is per Fox's recommendations. To me, the rear of the bike feels very planted, and very supple. The trick for me is getting the correct amount of sag, and keeping the rebound soft enough to prevent bucking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RSparkVB4 View Post
    Debating on going air but need some input. I have the DHX2 and have tried SLS spring, MRP 500 and 550 progressive spring. I weigh 230-235 no gear. Each time it got better but im still not 100 percent happy with how its tracking and handling. Im faster on everything and it gets me out of some trouble, but it just doesnt feel like i think it should. On landings it feel supportive, but tracking on berms and repeated hits it feels harsh and traction is lost. I have it HSC fully open and i have played with HSR and LSC and LSR. It gets better but not to what i think it should. I called Craig over at Avalanche and got a lecture from him about sending my DHX2 and how it would basically be a waste of time and air is a better option, even over the CR Bomber. Only problem is, im on the upper limits for weight and will have to get it serviced sooner or might feel harsh due to high PSI.
    It blew my mind when i set a PR on my buddies Giant Reign on a trail i have ridden 20 time on my own bike the FIRST time on his. His bike just absorbed the trail chatter and railed corners and was composed and had grips for days. My foxy doesn't feel as composed on repeated hits and berms as a coil should IMO. Straight line is fine, still harsh, but its the back to back hits and small bump fast hits that is throwing off traction for me. So im looking at the Super Deluxe RC3 205x65. Is this what some of you have? What mods do i need to do to mount to our 62.5?

FWIW, here is what i have done so far to make a huge improvement on my bike...
    I have the headset spacers maxed out to increase stack
    tried 30, 35, and 40 mm stem. 40mm worked best for me.
    Im changing my DHF/DHR2 (both exo) to Vigilante and Trail Boss combo. Exo sidewalls are to squirmy for me and if i pump them up to get them supportive the less traction i have. The WTB combo has stiffer sidewalls that will be more supportive in cornering.
    The Slacker cups are on order from Quarv, just waiting to get them in.

Thanks for input.
    If you have been able to locate the correct length Super Deluxe Shock that is the correct answer. Then just send it straight to Craig. He will just place a little spacer inside to reduce travel, which is the same way the manufacturers do it.

The other reasonable option if you just prefer coil is contact Extoria regarding their coil with the hydraulic bottom out control as they will custom build that thing to your application.

I predicted all of these shock shortcomings before ordering my Foxy 29 and in fact located and purchased a used Superdeluxe RT3 before committing to the bike and sold off the stock coil when the frame was brand new. I wish I had bought the back up RT3 I located on ebay for $183.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Has anybody tried a DVO Topaz on the Mondraker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kongkers View Post
    Has anybody tried a DVO Topaz on the Mondraker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My understanding is that is a good product. The issue I have is it is small production and therefore Craig has not built any parts for it. Therefore you will never be able to tune it specifically for this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just mounted up this Spanish tire to go on my Spanish bike (both manufactured in Tiawan no doubt). I'll give it a go soon although with it being 100 degrees and often 80% humidity, low RR is really most important currently.
    MSC Gripper 2.3 which has an identical width to the 2.6 Eliminator I just removed.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 06-29-2019 at 04:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey all. I'm moving to another bike due to a partnership with my LBS. I have this sick Avalanche modded and tuned Bomber CR shock that fits the Foxy available. I'm going to list it in the classifieds but I thought I'd give you all the first shot at it. With a 450lb MRP progressive spring it would work perfectly for someone who weighs 185-210. It transforms the Foxy into a small bump eating machine and the progressive spring counteracts the falling rate of the Foxy's LR. PM me if you want first shot at it before it gets listed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GearTech View Post
    Hey all. I'm moving to another bike due to a partnership with my LBS. I have this sick Avalanche modded and tuned Bomber CR shock that fits the Foxy available. I'm going to list it in the classifieds but I thought I'd give you all the first shot at it. With a 450lb MRP progressive spring it would work perfectly for someone who weighs 185-210. It transforms the Foxy into a small bump eating machine and the progressive spring counteracts the falling rate of the Foxy's LR. PM me if you want first shot at it before it gets listed.

Sorry to see you go.
    I might be interested in the Bomber, however the spring rate isn't correct for me.
    If you want to discuss PM me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Final tip - I also placed a strip of 3M self moulding rubber over the chainstay protector and it got rid of the high speed chatter noise. Bike is quiet and feels smoother just because of me not hearing anything!

I've had 2 'off' days on the MSC.
    The first day I was riding with my 7 year old so it's not really riding but more like stopping every 40'. But it felt draggy and high traction. Also new tires always feel real draggy for the first 8 miles or so.
    The 2nd day was at a lift assisted bike park but it's a small one in TX. Mad traction on the rocks, like really good. A bit sketchy on the sandy bits, and still felt a bit slow rolling even when not peddaling.
    For me, so far I'd prefer the MSC on lift assist or maybe in the dead of winter when i'm really strong, but I'd definitely take the Eliminator for general trail riding as the rock traction is like 85% as good, the other traction is notably better, and the rolling resistance is notably better as well. The MSC does have the advantage of working well with no tire noodle where the Eliminator can fold without.
    I'm hoping to have a spare set of rims soon and for bike park days I'd have the MSC mounted but not sure I'd choose it over the DHF or Assegia.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The new Super Foxy 29. 160/ 170mm travel. New LR with less AS and more progressive for coil shocks. 65 degree head angle, 440/ 450 adjustable chainstay length, Superboost, AND a new softer retrofittable ribbed chainstay protector!

https://www.mondraker.com/es/en/new-...tfkG2CzRXOQEDw

The new Super Foxy looks super rad and if I played in this category it would be the one for me. But for the riding I do the Foxy 29 I already have is absolutely perfect. Pedals the heck out of everything, and offers enough travel for the jumps, drops, and terrain I prefer.

Gigantic Hawk
    I don't know if I'd buy the Super over my current Foxy, but it looks sweet. I want that chain stay protector! Also, I really like the idea of easier internal cable routing. Not a fan of the current internal routing.

Video for those that don't want to click through the website.

mtbr member
    More progressive too

"Suspension kinematics for a more supple beginning stroke off the top and a more progressive leverage ratio ideal for coil and big volume air shocks,..."

https://m.vitalmtb.com/news/press-re...Carbon-29,2961
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

Gigantic Hawk
    Looks like it has better rear tire clearance too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    And whilst I commend the change to a more progressive leverage curve for a coil, I can't help feeling misled that I paid top dollar for the XR with a coil and it was awful. Only felt good when I changed to an air can.

mtbr member
    Hopefully they retrofit the XR with these updates.
    (E.g. Orbea Rallon)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I was just thinking of the new Orbea linkage upgrade. https://bikerumor.com/2019/07/05/new...ds-compatible/
    Was very interesting to me. I doubt mondraker will do this though or if its even possible on the linkage we have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Super Foxy linkage is designed with a different goal in mind then the Foxy 29. Wouldn't make sense to apply that linkage to the Foxy 29, it would ruin the bike's trail bike manners.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A lot of the front triangle geo measurements look the same, it also says optional 0deg headset cups so wonder if it ships with the angle set to give it 65deg head angle. If the front triangle is the same it would be interesting if you can fit the links to a regular Foxy 29 to change the leverage curve. Also the shock is 210x65 to get the 160mm travel.

It's also Super Boost 157 and looks like longer adjustable chainstay as well 440-450.

Gigantic Hawk
    ^^^^
    From the pics, one would have to swap the links and the rear triangle to make it work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hi! I am thinking about buying the - 1 headset, those of you who have it, how does it feel?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Feels good, hovewer I do not consider it to be game changing. But it works well with Foxy, considering the not-so-slack HAį, not-so-low BB and linear suspension curve.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Agreed. It's a worthwhile change and I prefer the bike this way, but game changing it is not.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 08-07-2019 at 06:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

MegNeg Air Can

I just finished dialing in a Rock Shox Super Deluxe RC3 with MegNeg air can on my Foxy. I was running the Fox DPX2 at 170psi with a .86 volume spacer (yes Fox says not to install it).

After a few rides I'm really happy with the Super Deluxe with MegNeg, the rear feels much more composed (the shock is noticeably bigger), better traction, more small bump sensitivity and I have yet to bottom it out.

The shock was a take off from a Giant Reign I think, Medium Compression Low Rebound. I have it set up with full volume spacers which is 1 Gnar Dog (2.5) and 2 additional normal spacers, 1 band in the Negative air chamber and 200 PSI. Rebound is somewhere in the middle (haven't counted clicks) but room both ways for adjustment.

I'm 185 pounds, probably over 190 with gear. My local trails are loose over hard with some rocks but mostly a lot of braking bumps and chatter, 6-12 foot doubles with transition and a few small drops. As mentioned I haven't bottomed it out yet, ring has about another 4-5mm to go which I'm fine with. If I don't use full travel when I go to a bike park I'll probably remove a spacer.

Over all super happy with the set up, bike feels so much better. When I bought the bike I knew the rear end set up was going to be a challenge (but I got a great deal on it) and bought the Super Deluxe with plans on sending it to Avalanche but with the MegNeg I think I'm happy enough to run it for the time being. I'll probably still send it to Avalanche when it is ready for a rebuild, would be curious what Craig would think of the MegNeg, I know he is big on dampening control vs air spring ramp.

Also for reference I ran it initially with 2 bands in the Negative chamber and it felt good but I wanted a little more small bump compliance, I then ran it with no bands and it felt kind of vague off the top and seemed to just slump into the sag. With 1 band it feels really good. I think the upside with the MegNeg is a lot of riders will be able to have room for more adjustment to get the rear feeling how they like it.

Gigantic Hawk
    Anybody see any info on the 2020 Foxy? I saw a picture, but no info other than they tweaked a few things. Be interesting to see what exactly they changed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Info is on their website, looks like same frame just updated colors (thank god), chainstay protector and spec. Also no XR Coil version just an RR SL instead.

There is the new Super Foxy which is a totally new bike.

Example
    https://www.mondraker.com/uk/en/2020-foxy-carbon-rr

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by badbietz View Post
    I just finished dialing in a Rock Shox Super Deluxe RC3 with MegNeg air can on my Foxy. I was running the Fox DPX2 at 170psi with a .86 volume spacer (yes Fox says not to install it).

After a few rides I'm really happy with the Super Deluxe with MegNeg, the rear feels much more composed (the shock is noticeably bigger), better traction, more small bump sensitivity and I have yet to bottom it out.

The shock was a take off from a Giant Reign I think, Medium Compression Low Rebound. I have it set up with full volume spacers which is 1 Gnar Dog (2.5) and 2 additional normal spacers, 1 band in the Negative air chamber and 200 PSI. Rebound is somewhere in the middle (haven't counted clicks) but room both ways for adjustment.

I'm 185 pounds, probably over 190 with gear. My local trails are loose over hard with some rocks but mostly a lot of braking bumps and chatter, 6-12 foot doubles with transition and a few small drops. As mentioned I haven't bottomed it out yet, ring has about another 4-5mm to go which I'm fine with. If I don't use full travel when I go to a bike park I'll probably remove a spacer.

Over all super happy with the set up, bike feels so much better. When I bought the bike I knew the rear end set up was going to be a challenge (but I got a great deal on it) and bought the Super Deluxe with plans on sending it to Avalanche but with the MegNeg I think I'm happy enough to run it for the time being. I'll probably still send it to Avalanche when it is ready for a rebuild, would be curious what Craig would think of the MegNeg, I know he is big on dampening control vs air spring ramp.

Also for reference I ran it initially with 2 bands in the Negative chamber and it felt good but I wanted a little more small bump compliance, I then ran it with no bands and it felt kind of vague off the top and seemed to just slump into the sag. With 1 band it feels really good. I think the upside with the MegNeg is a lot of riders will be able to have room for more adjustment to get the rear feeling how they like it.
    So the shock is a 205mm overall length?

Good stuff right? I love the suspension on my Foxy but then from day one it was on an Avy Superdeluxe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A lot of the front triangle geo measurements look the same, it also says optional 0deg headset cups so wonder if it ships with the angle set to give it 65deg head angle. If the front triangle is the same it would be interesting if you can fit the links to a regular Foxy 29 to change the leverage curve. Also the shock is 210x65 to get the 160mm travel.

It's also Super Boost 157 and looks like longer adjustable chainstay as well 440-450.
    The Super Foxy is 65mm before the headset.
    I think it's close but technically a different frame.

Gigantic Hawk
    Info is on their website, looks like same frame just updated colors (thank god), chainstay protector and spec. Also no XR Coil version just an RR SL instead.

Example
    https://www.mondraker.com/uk/en/2020-foxy-carbon-rr
    Thanks for the link. I didn't see it on their site the last time I looked. It is interesting to see that all the bikes now use the DPX2 rear shock. I know a lot of you have upgraded or complained about the rear shock, but I haven't had any issues with the DPX2 on my R.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There is a place called Amachete Components in Spain that has the 10mm roller bearing for the lower shock mount for the Foxy 29. I just ordered 1, plus the press tool, shipped for about $51 after the Euro conversion.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. I love my Foxy but was starting to seriously consider the EXT rear shock to try and get a little more rear sensitivity but was not keen on the money spent nor the .7# of gained weight so am trying this first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Also having some new wheels built utilizing Carbon Fan wheels with an AM layup up front 33mm ID 28 spokes & DH layup rear 29mm ID 32 spoke, using some new Project 321 hubs with ceramic bearings, and black BERD spokes. Lastly I'm trying some of these new Tubo Light 70 gram rim inserts over my current Pepi's inserts.

All in, using the same hubs my current set up has, I'll save nearly 1# rotating weight so that should be quite noticeable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hi guys! Soon I will need to change tires, with my last bike I always used minion dhf 2.5 front and back and usually when the back tire was too slick I would just buy a new one for the front and use the rest of rubber of the front tire in the back. But given the limited tire clearance of the foxy I'm not sure I can fit a 2.5 dhf in there.
    What tire combo are you guys using?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Lower shock roller bearing kit is on, shipped from Spain. Heck they included enough spare parts I could do another Foxy from the parts.
    Can't ride the bike because my dropper is removed currently but the bounce test you can certainly feel less stiction. Whether that is better or not for peddaling efficiency, I can't say.
    I'll report back with a ride report next week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So I finally received a new cable today to repair my dropper and was able to pedal around my Foxy with the Amachete lower link bearing just around the 'hood.

What I can say was that when I added the bottom and top bearing to my previous Yeti the rear shock really lost all stiction and it felt like I actually lost efficiency. I did prefer it overall but in the same way one prefers a coil shock, with trade offs.

With this mod on the Foxy at only the lower mount of the shock, the harshness that I use to experience on curb drops is gone and the shock is definitely quicker responding to sharp impacts and the jarring sensation is gone.

However it doesn't feel wallowy when pedaling. This was the right move for me as opposed to going to an EXT coil shock. It saved a lot of money and a lot of weight and besides the previous feeling of initial stiction I really like my Avy tuned RT3.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Had a good day and was able to ride the shock needle bearing on my air shock. It's a much less extreme difference than it was when I did the same at both ends of the shock on my Yeti.

All it does is get rid of the initial slap down harshness I use to get on my rear suspension. No other differences that I can tell at all.

It gave me exactly what I wanted, no more, no less. Worth the $50 for sure. That was all that I wanted out of a coil shock I was considering, just to soften that initial jolt and adding this bearing to my air shock did that with none of the downsides of a coil (i.e. weight, cost, lack of progression).

Gigantic Hawk
    ^^^^
    Good to hear. I will have to look into the bearing this winter when I take the frame apart for maintenance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I built some sweet wheels with Berd spokes. DH layup rear, wider up front, P321 hubs.

The cool thing is my large Foxy 29 weighs right at 27.4#s (before pedals, bash guard, and tools are installed) and that includes Avy cartridges and tire inserts front and rear. It weighs exactly 30.1# ready to ride with CO2 cartridges, pump, tools, pedals, etc. The thing pedals like a XC bike and descends like a DH bike. I really like this bike!

Gigantic Hawk
    The cool thing is my large Foxy 29 weighs right at 27.4#s (before pedals, bash guard, and tools are installed) and that includes Avy cartridges and tire inserts front and rear. It weighs exactly 30.1# ready to ride with CO2 cartridges, pump, tools, pedals, etc. The thing pedals like a XC bike and descends like a DH bike. I really like this bike!
    27+ is light! I'm hoping to get mine closer to 30 after the winter rebuild.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    the MSC tires which may not be available in the USA are fast rolling. Try a Gripper in 2C compound. Great dry weather ĎEnduroí tyre. They run big. Donít let sizing fool. A 2.3 MSC Gripper is bigger than a 2.5 WT Maxxis.
    It took a while for me to really warm up to the MSC Gripper. Due to high summer heat (forecast says 97 degrees tomorrow, right before our 1st cold front of Fall) I wasn't riding as fast for a while there. Lately I've acclimated and my pace is fast and comparing the MSC back to back with the Eliminator it isn't even close, I much prefer the MSC. It has incredible grip, no dead spot, and is a perfectly rounded 2.5" width tire (labeled as a 2.3).
    It rolls pretty slowly however, on par with a DHF 2.5 3c or maybe a bit slower, but is a better all around tire for me.
    I'm going to experiment with the Tioga Edge-22 & the Maxxis Dissector but as of right now, I think the MSC Gripper is my preferred front tire.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    New chain slap thing I just recieved today.

Gigantic Hawk
    Is that for the Super Foxy? How did you order it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Qarv sent it to me. They just received them.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 10-17-2019 at 06:22 AM.

Gigantic Hawk
    For those that are curious, Qarv is selling the chain stay protectors for $25.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The new chain-stay protector definitely quiets things down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    How many/what size of volume spacer/s are you guys using on your suspension and shock?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I don't have stock suspension on my Foxy, but the LR is regressive near the end stroke so if you do any jumps or anything I'd load the shock up with volume spacers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Yap, I have the stock dpx2 and I find it too easy to bottom out, I don't bottom out often but I do chose the jumps I do.. I avoid doing bigger or rough landing ones because of this

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Add volume spacers.
    I use all of my rear travel most rides with an Avy tuned Superdeluxe and 1 volume reducer but have never felt it.
    Max 5' drops and some decent sized but smooth jumps.

Gigantic Hawk
    I bottom out the stock DPX2, but I never notice that I do it on the trail. I believe the stock shock comes with a preinstalled spacer, but another can be added.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I think that the tuning set contains 5 spacers with the following volumes: 0.2 inch3, 0.4 inch3, 0.6 inch3, 0.86 inch3 and 1.02 inch3.
    The stock one is the 0.6inch3. I'll probably try and change the stock one for the 0.86inch3 and try it. Probably I'll do it in the next maintenance.. Anyone using the 0.86? And the 36 I'll probably add one more spacer too, I like how the suspension feel but I'd like them to me more progressive at the end

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Bad news, I just saw in ridefox website that for 205x62.5 trunnion the biggest volume spacer that can be used is the stock one, 0.6inch3. For jumps there is no other option besides pumping some more pressure.. This is a bummer..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If your going to keep the bike, search for a used Superdeluxe RT3 from an '18 Devinci Spartan and send it to Avalanche.
    Or call up RS and concoct a story, it got lost in thise mail or something.
    Maybe a Devinci store can order you one?
    I love my Foxy but dealing with the suspension decisions that Mondraker made was paramount to me.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Demorider8 View Post
    Bad news, I just saw in ridefox website that for 205x62.5 trunnion the biggest volume spacer that can be used is the stock one, 0.6inch3. For jumps there is no other option besides pumping some more pressure.. This is a bummer..
    I'm pretty sure somebody has already added more spacers than recommended with success. It was either in this thread or elsewhere, but it does exist on the interwebs somewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    You can add them, but this is what fox says about using them: "WARNING: Never use an air spring volume spacer of a specific size with certain length, travel, and eyelet combinations, as shown by "DNU" in the table below. With these combinations, the resulting compression ratio goes beyond the bounds of safe product usability. With the spike of excessive air pressure the air sleeve can suddenly fail, causing potential property damage, SERIOUS INJURY, OR DEATH"
    I will not risk it..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I ran a .86 for a couple of months in my Fox before I switched to a Super Deluxe with MegNeg air can (highly recommend).

I'm 190lbs and think I was running around 175psi or maybe a little more. I spoke to a suspension tuning shop and they said as long as you are not near max PSI it shouldn't be an issue.

I believe the logic is as follows. For example the Fox site states that a .6 volume spacer gives you a compression ratio of 3.81, if you are are running max PSI which I think is 350 PSI that would come to a fully compressed PSI of 1,333.5 (3.81X350).

Between the different spacers .4 to .6 you gain a Compression Ration of around .4 but lets go crazy and say the .86 gives you a 4.81 CR, at 200 PSI that would be a fully compressed PSI of 962 (4.81X200) well below the 1,333.5.

I would assume Fox put this chart together taking into consideration max PSI. If you are not near that I think you have some room to play around, of course you are on your own warranty wise and use at your own risk and all of that. It felt better to me with no issues to report YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If anyone is dealing with cable rattle in the down tube I would recommend this TechFlex braided cable sleeve. It is split so you can wrap it around the cable and feed it through the frame holes little by little with no need to remove any cables. I put it on my brake hose, derailleur cable and dropper cable and don't hear them anymore. Best $10 I've spent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2MTB View Post
    Wow! Just had the chance to demo ride the Foxy RR. Fun bike.

Name:  YT-Thumb-Foxy-RR-29-2019-400.png
Views: 1689
Size:  234.0 KB

Here is a video I did of the demo ride:

https://youtu.be/I6MbxHLq64Y

I did NOT want to demo this bike.

It has a reputation of being long and downhill focused.

But I spoke with the rep and found out that while the bike is long, the head angle is reasonable at 66 degrees.

So I went for it.

Glad I did.

Bike climbed way better than I thought it would ... as well or better than the other bikes in this size category (with modern geo).

Descending was limited, but a blast. Felt like bike "glided" over serveral tech sections.

I've demoed 16 bikes in the last 3 weeks.

The Foxy was a big surprise. I'd put it in the Top 5.

Note: I did a video about HOW I demoed 16 bikes for $105 here:

https://youtu.be/T_hpTAe5jPI

Hope this helps.
    Whatís your other top 5 please? Thx

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I tried a Forbidden Druid. I'm selling my XL Foxy 29 soon. I'm based in Perth, WA. Any suggestions where to post for sale other than eBay?

mtbr member
    I tried a Forbidden Druid. I'm selling my XL Foxy 29 soon. I'm based in Perth, WA. Any suggestions where to post for sale other than eBay?
    MTBR classifieds, PinkBike, etc.,

I'm loving my Druid but am in the market for a longer travel bike... I'm a Medium/Large and have been eyeing the new Super Foxy29

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    MTBR classifieds, PinkBike, etc.,

I'm loving my Druid but am in the market for a longer travel bike... I'm a Medium/Large and have been eyeing the new Super Foxy29
    Thanks mate, let us know if you pull the trigger on one!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You guys should swap!

Tell us about what you prefer with the Druid, no hard feelings here and the Druid looks amazing.

The Foxy is killer but the OEM rear suspension choice lets it down and has to be rectified to get the full potential of the bike.

There might be marginally better bikes as new models are released, but I like my Foxy enough that I intend to ride it for many years so I took the time (and money) to get it exactly how I wanted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    You guys should swap!

Tell us about what you prefer with the Druid, no hard feelings here and the Druid looks amazing.

The Foxy is killer but the OEM rear suspension choice lets it down and has to be rectified to get the full potential of the bike.

There might be marginally better bikes as new models are released, but I like my Foxy enough that I intend to ride it for many years so I took the time (and money) to get it exactly how I wanted.

I know, need an XL though! The Foxy is awesome, I will keep it probably until early next year.

The Druid had a few interesting ride characteristics that seemed to fit what I was looking for in a bike. So I don't get a lot air but due to the lengthening of the wheelbase it seems to add stability on landings which I liked. Also the same kinematics means it powers through repeated square edged hits and fast rock gardens and holds momentum well.

It pedals with just about the most stability of any bike I've ridden. It doesn't squirt forward but is efficient and firm. There were so many things I liked it would make it look like I was advertising for Forbidden of I carried on listing them! Needless to say it was a joy to ride for a couple of days.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Interesting!

I'm a guerrilla Gravity Fanboy, but I'm considering leaving the brand next season, and the Druid is on the top of my list (basically waiting for my revved smash to be sold to get the frame). I also demoed the Foxy 29 last year, and it's second on my list

How would you compare the acceleration between the Druid and the Foxy, and say, a horst link FSR or 4 bar linkage? That's what shocked me the most on the foxy. It just accelerates by itself, pedaling is super efficient, and pushing on the pedals makes it move forward. Would you say the druid, has a similar snappy feeling? Or feels more average? You say it powers through square edges, which is good! But it could mean it feels a bit sluggish elsewhere (maybe).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on keeping the Druid - it's going to stay as my uber capable shorter travel trail bike that punches way above its weight class but I'm still wanting a big travel Enduro sled to complement the Druid.

If Forbidden had a 150-160mm travel bike, I'd already have it. The suspension is Yeti-esque in pedalling efficiency and Knolly-esque in climbing traction. Between the 29r wheels and the rearward axle path, I just don't get hung up on stuff I would've in the past with a 130mm travel bike.

That Druid efficiency "feels" muted compared to the mini link designs though - does not feel like you're squirting forward but you really are... difficult to describe.

In any event, the Foxy was on my list for deep travel bike - not keen on the SuperBoost though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    I'm planning on keeping the Druid - it's going to stay as my uber capable shorter travel trail bike that punches way above its weight class but I'm still wanting a big travel Enduro sled to complement the Druid.

If Forbidden had a 150-160mm travel bike, I'd already have it. The suspension is Yeti-esque in pedalling efficiency and Knolly-esque in climbing traction. Between the 29r wheels and the rearward axle path, I just don't get hung up on stuff I would've in the past with a 130mm travel bike.

That Druid efficiency "feels" muted compared to the mini link designs though - does not feel like you're squirting forward but you really are... difficult to describe.

In any event, the Foxy was on my list for deep travel bike - not keen on the SuperBoost though.
    Yeah I would agree with all of that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Foxy isn't superboost.
    Maybe the Super Foxy is?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah I would agree with all of that.
    Thanks, both of you guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    Interesting!

I'm a guerrilla Gravity Fanboy, but I'm considering leaving the brand next season, and the Druid is on the top of my list (basically waiting for my revved smash to be sold to get the frame). I also demoed the Foxy 29 last year, and it's second on my list

How would you compare the acceleration between the Druid and the Foxy, and say, a horst link FSR or 4 bar linkage? That's what shocked me the most on the foxy. It just accelerates by itself, pedaling is super efficient, and pushing on the pedals makes it move forward. Would you say the druid, has a similar snappy feeling? Or feels more average? You say it powers through square edges, which is good! But it could mean it feels a bit sluggish elsewhere (maybe).

Thanks.
    I did write a detailed response but it didn't publish. Basically I feel that you lose no efficiency on the Druid compared to the foxy, but the suspension performance generally is more suited to fast rocky trails, jumps etc.

I also like the anti-rise because we have steep trails here. It is also handy as I'll often brake into corners (who doesn't..) and this keeps the bike very stable in those situations.

Cheers

Gigantic Hawk
    I know many of us have put riser bars on our bikes, and some of us have slacked out the front with the adjustable headset cups...

Anybody have any thoughts on putting 170mm fork on the front? It seems that it would help to increase the stack, and slack out the front a 1/2 degree while giving 10mm more travel. For me, this is just a hypothetical thought since I hardly use the full 160mm I have now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm finding myself riding really far forward on the saddle on my Foxy, with the seat already slid far forward.
    Just not willing to slack the STA out any more.
    The 27.5" rear end with the fork dropped to 150mm sounds more appealing to me honestly.

Gigantic Hawk
    I'm finding myself riding really far forward on the saddle on my Foxy, with the seat already slid far forward.
    Just not willing to slack the STA out any more.
    The 27.5" rear end with the fork dropped to 150mm sounds more appealing to me honestly.

Interesting. My saddle is semi forward. I probably should ride farther over the bars than I do currently.

Don't know if this interests you, but 9point8 makes a dropper post with a 25mm forward offset head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think that dropper is a good solution for an old school bike that's maybe 1-2 sizes too large for the rider. But would mess up too much else on the Foxy.
    Also, I'm going to bump up to a 40 or 45mm stem on my Foxy to try and weight the front end a bit more. At 5'11" but with long arms the cockpit actually feels just a hair tight on my Large Foxy.

Gigantic Hawk
    I'll be interesting to hear your input on the longer stem. The only time that I really feel that I'm not forward enough is on really steep climbs, and when I'm hitting bigger jumps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This is really a slick cable management idea from the new Foxy E- bike. Maybe it's only possible due to the larger steerer tube on the new e- bikes?
    Would love to incorporate this in to my Foxy 29.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Had a very solid first ride on a 40mm stem on my Foxy 29 (previously on a 35).
    Very noticable difference both in how much more weight I had on my hands, and notably more traction up front.
    For the first time my Foxy truly was balanced for me thru the turns. Was really not touching the brakes entering and thru long fast turns and could completely trust the front end to stick. For the first time the bike didn't understeer or if it did it was very minor.
    Still love my Foxy but I think their super short stems are a flawed idea (along with their coil shocks). Would be fun to try a 45mm stem as well but I'm in a very comfortable place on the bike physically and don't feel like dropping another $80 to test a different stem.
    My best guess is the stem they include on the Foxy builds should perfectly match the fork offset they offer, if they want to truly optimize performance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Has anyone tried taking out the spacer from the rear Shock to get the full 65mm and a bit more travel?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lost it View Post
    Has anyone tried taking out the spacer from the rear Shock to get the full 65mm and a bit more travel?
    I've heard (from Qarv) that it's rear tire size dependent. Because of flex under extreme loads, a large tire might rub, where smaller tire might not.
    You could remove all of the shock air and collapse it and look and see how much clearance it appears that you have to work with. Could probably also just remove the shock and sort of visualize that extra 2.5 mm.
    Report back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My sole complaint about my Foxy is that limited rear tire clearance means that picking up leaves and them getting stuck between the tire and the chainstays during Fall riding is a constant, and quite annoying.

wuss
    Just picked up a XL yellow RR for a great price. Currently have a flu so just admiring it on the balcony...

Also this time of the year sun setís around 2pm and trails are partially frozen (but not enough to justify studded tires) so might wait for proper snow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Best color for sure.

wuss
    Has anyone checked what ratchet is in the included E1700 wheelset? Is it the standard 18t model?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by lost it View Post
    On the aluminium model it works just fine, but on the carbon there is not enough space.

Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    Has anyone checked what ratchet is in the included E1700 wheelset? Is it the standard 18t model?
    Yes 18T is standard for DT350 mounted on DT E1700.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    My sole complaint about my Foxy is that limited rear tire clearance...
    That's why i sold it and bought the aluminum version.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by embi View Post
    That's why i sold it and bought the aluminum version.
    Eager to know about any all differences that you noticed between these 2 models including:

1) Weight difference.
    2) Ride feel difference/ Most important!
    3) Clearance and suspension differences.
    4) Anything else you can think of.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Foxy Carbon vs Foxy Aluminum

1. Weight - the bike is noticeably heavier. Clocks almost 16kg with an air shock.
    2. Ride feel - better than the carbon IMO, the rear end is stiffer due to larger brace connecting the triangles, also the reach is 5mm longer
    3. Clearance - there is much better clearance for larger tyres and mud a reason why the carbon bike is unrideable for me
    4. Suspension - similar feeling, but you can run 65 stroke shock without any issues
    5. Protection - the paint wears more easily than on the carbon version and there is zero protection for lower link and shock (mud and debris). Also no chainstay protection and you can't mount bashguard on the bike.

I sadly have to say, that the Mondraker Foxy (both AL and carbon), are not a good bikes from a technical standpoint. But once you're on the trail, you forget it, because the bikes just rides amazingly well.

The SuperFoxy fixes many issues of the Foxy and takes the best from both bikes

wuss
    Anybody see any info on the 2020 Foxy? I saw a picture, but no info other than they tweaked a few things. Be interesting to see what exactly they changed.
    When I picked up my 2019 the dealer mentioned that they would have changed the valving of the shock for 2020 so it would work better with the frame.

Gigantic Hawk
    For those looking for more rear tire clearance, I wonder if the aluminum rear end would swap onto the carbon front?

wuss
    Did anyone prefer an X2 as shock? Saw one cheap second hand and wondering if I should pick it up... Only had two brief rides up to now so did not finnish tuning the stock shock but likely the X2 will be sold before I know if I like this or not..

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My friend taken one from Superfoxy. totally changed suspension from hate to love.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The air shock sizes that the Foxy utilizes are becoming more commonly available as they are oem fitment on several new bikes. A couplel for sale used on PB right now.
    I'm going to be experimenting with a Meg Neg on my RT3 very soon, unfortunately I broke some ribs in a bike crash so I'll be off for a bit and it'll be a bit before I can experiment.

Gigantic Hawk
    I broke some ribs in a bike crash so I'll be off for a bit and it'll be a bit before I can experiment.

Bummer! Hope you have a fast recovery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Bummer! Hope you have a fast recovery.
    For sure I'll bounce back quick.
    Have a family ski trip in 3 weeks so just managing nutrition well and protecting the injured ribs (2 are fractured) until then.
    Thanks for the kind words.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    For sure I'll bounce back quick.
    Have a family ski trip in 3 weeks so just managing nutrition well and protecting the injured ribs (2 are fractured) until then.
    Thanks for the kind words.

That sucks. Those XC rides are sneaky bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    That sucks. Those XC rides are sneaky bad.
    Got me on a night ride at Travis Country. Was following a guy, was completely turned around and didn't recognize where we were at, he rolled a ledge and I followed, turns out it was a decent vertical drop and over the bars I went! First crash in a long time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Not shopping, but just curious why the Super Foxy was announced 6 months ago yet has not been reviewed or released yet. Seems like a very large gap to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Not shopping, but just curious why the Super Foxy was announced 6 months ago yet has not been reviewed or released yet. Seems like a very large gap to me.

I have been wondering this same thing. Especially when they seem to be showing up in the hands of riders on their social media platform.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    What do you mean by released? My mates have been riding the Foxy for 2 months now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Got me on a night ride at Travis Country. Was following a guy, was completely turned around and didn't recognize where we were at, he rolled a ledge and I followed, turns out it was a decent vertical drop and over the bars I went! First crash in a long time.

That sucks. Glad it wasn't worse. Same thing happened to Willie over there following me a little while ago. He didn't break anything, but that is just luck when you are falling into rocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What do you mean by released? My mates have been riding the Foxy for 2 months now.
    The Super Foxy? Reports?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I added a Meg-Neg to my RT3. It clears. Because I have broken ribs I won't get a real ride for a month but I can tell you that riding off a curb seated it's notably less harsh than it was before. I pedaled a bit hard on pavement and noticed no bob, however I'm not exactly pounding it at the moment.
    I started with the max number of negative spacers simply because I was weary of losing the pedaling efficiency that I adore so much on this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hey all, long time lurker first time poster to this thread. I'm selling a brand new 2019 Foxy Carbon 29, RR (yellow and orange) size Large. Might have seen it on a few classifieds lately.

I have a few options for complete builds (stock and significantly upgraded) and am willing to mix / match parts around a price point within reason. Get in touch if interested, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I also have two needle bearings from Amachette I need to part with, both brand new never installed. $25 each

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mellymelson View Post
    I also have two needle bearings from Amachette I need to part with, both brand new never installed. $25 each
    Sorry to hear you are selling it. Weren't you just collecting parts for this build?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I was, but circumstances have changed for me...Hate to see this beautiful bike go, but hope it finds a good home soon

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well the yellow is my favourite color. Hope it sells for ya. They are rare and not particularly popular bikes but I adore mine.
    Did you get a sponsored ride on another brand or something?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I digg the yellow, too. Perfect match for the Factory orange Fox forks. Yes, I got picked up by another brand for this season. Had some great results with the Foxy in 2019 though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I added a Meg-Neg to my RT3. It clears. Because I have broken ribs I won't get a real ride for a month but I can tell you that riding off a curb seated it's notably less harsh than it was before. I pedaled a bit hard on pavement and noticed no bob, however I'm not exactly pounding it at the moment.
    I started with the max number of negative spacers simply because I was weary of losing the pedaling efficiency that I adore so much on this bike.

Am I the only guy running a RS Superdeluxe on a Foxy? I have a spare new take off Superdeluxe from a 2020 E29 by the way if someone is in a pinch, never ridden but it would need to go to Avy to have the stroke adjusted.

Anyways, I broke 2 ribs and possibly punctured a lung 3 weeks ago so needless to say I have not been riding and had not tested out the Meg-Neg yet.

I have went on light duty XC short pedal rides 2x this week trying to get my legs back and frankly trying to unseize my back which locks up when I'm stationary for more than a couple of days.

Basically removed one volume reducer in the positive side down to 2, and used all 4 (the max) bands in the negative chamber which is the setup that makes the Meg-Neg addition as close to how the shock was before by reducing the larger negative chamber as much as possible and keeping the ratio of pos to neg chambers pretty similar as it is with a standard chamber. That said, even like this the Negative chamber is 67% larger than stock! I did this because I either really like, or am just really use to the Foxy's rear suspension and was afraid to make a large change that would negatively effect pedaling performance. It took about 40 psi more shock pressure to get the same sag because of the additional neg volume.

To reiterate these were light duty rides due to recent injury, however I can clearly feel some, not so subtle changes. Basically the shock is more plush off the top, but it's not like a coil shock. It's just an initial jolt that I'm use to is gone. It's super noticeable just riding off the curb while seated. That said if I removed all 4 negative bands and had the negative chamber 111% larger than stock it would be a lot more like a coil I imagine.

The even larger difference is in the shock's midrange. The bike seems to sit way higher when just pedaling around, way more supportive. Really, it feels like I now need more sag but since I'm riding XC terrain anyways, it's too soon to make any adjustments until I get back to my usual speed. That said it needs more sag. But then I wasn't riding with my usual Hydration pack and I've actually lost 7# since the accident so this air pressure might be ideal in another month.

ShockWiz says everything is perfect except HSC is a bit too stiff, which frankly is something that SW always says about Avy tunes (and I mostly agree). But I'm only using 70% of travel so I'll update once I get some harder rides on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ShockWiz says everything is perfect except HSC is a bit too stiff, which frankly is something that SW always says about Avy tunes (and I mostly agree). But I'm only using 70% of travel so I'll update once I get some harder rides on the bike.
    How did you mount your ShockWiz with the MegNeg can?

I'm running a Super Deluxe from a Reign with a MegNeg (215 PSI, 1 band in neg chamber, 3.5 in positive)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How did you mount your ShockWiz with the MegNeg can?

I'm running a Super Deluxe from a Reign with a MegNeg (215 PSI, 1 band in neg chamber, 3.5 in positive)
    I'm pretty weight weenie but I won't sacrifice performance to save weight.
    Weighed my large Foxy as I ride it with 1000g tires, inserts, real hubs, 203mm front rotor with 4 piston caliper, Avy cartridges, Meg-Neg, tools/ pump/ CO2, bash guard, SW, water bottle cage and pedals and it's sitting at 30.2#s. Darn that is impressive for a bike this capable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I'm running 4 bands in the negative chamber at 192 psi @ 180#s, and the rear suspension has a ton of midrange support which I like. It's not bad or anything but any more mid range firmness and I'd think it would feel like a 100mm XC race machine instead of an Enduro bike. Did you try different numbers of bands? Thoughts on different combos?
    If you have a debonair in a RS fork, there's a black rubber bumper in the negative chamber that you can remove and it notably increases the negative chamber volume and has a very similar effect on the forks as you get with the Meg-Neg in the shock and increases mid range support. That I REALLY like. I had to up my fork pressure from like 92psi to 110 with this one change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Has anyone fitted a 2.4 on the back of the aluminum model? I am thinking Michelin Wild enduro or something similar. Stock 30 mm rims does it roll without any rubs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by samperg View Post
    Has anyone fitted a 2.4 on the back of the aluminum model? I am thinking Michelin Wild enduro or something similar. Stock 30 mm rims does it roll without any rubs?
    I've commonly ran Schwalbe 2.35s which measure about 2.42" on my CF Foxy, and the Al version has additional clearance. I don't see you having a problem here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I'm using 2.4 dhr2 in my carbon foxy and so far no rub at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Hello guys. sorry my english.
    I have a foxy 29 RR, has anyone ever brought the fork to 170?
    the handlebar has 20mm, do you recommend 30 or 35? thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I haven't seen any Foxy's ran at 170mm.

I run my stem as low as possible to extend effective top tube length and utilize a 35mm riser bar on a large Foxy.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I haven't seen any Foxy's ran at 170mm.

I run my stem as low as possible to extend effective top tube length and utilize a 35mm riser bar on a large Foxy.

Good luck.

What do u think, upgrade fork 170mm?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aljocha View Post
    What do u think, upgrade fork 170mm?
    I guess that depends on my goals and body weight.

My personal opinion is that single crown forks already flex too much at 160mm. And for my needs and usage a 160mm is just fine.

So 170mm just exacerbates this problem. But also it's damaging to your geo. Seat tube becomes slacker, BB becomes higher, etc... Certainly won't need those tall bars if you go the 170mm single crown fork route.

If I felt I needed more fork travel on my Foxy I'd either:

a.) move up to a Superfoxy. Or...
    b.) Purchase a 170mm MRP Bartlett. The Bartlett is dual crown which fixes the flex problem, but also due to the packaging advantages of a DC fork you can keep your Axle to Crown (A2C) measurement very nearly the same as a single crown 160 accomplishes, while getting your 170mm fork travel.

https://mrpbike.com/products/bartlett

The Bartlett at 170mm travel has 574mm A2C.

The Fox 36 at 160 travel has 570mm A2C.

That's pretty close.

I've heard rumors, but don't know for a fact, that you can run the 205 x 65mm shock on the Foxy instead of the as speced 205 x 62.5. They are identical shocks of course, just the slightly shorter stroke is obtained using an internal 2.5mm nylon washer. Removing that washer should get you 156mm rear travel.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

I really want to speak to one of our Foxy 29 owners about dropping their fork to a 150mm and running a 27.5" rear wheel. Who here is going to try that? I'm mostly trying to go faster/ longer on very rough trails so my goals lean towards that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    in reality it is only to try to raise it and open the degrees of 66.

I mounted a fox dhx2 205 x65 and it is ok

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Run the 40mm rise Renthal bar, install a -1 headset.

Much better solution. In fact the -1 headset actually steepens your STA and drops your BB, although not by much in either case.

Gigantic Hawk

It is a lot cheaper to try a Wolftooth lower headset spacer (10mm) than it is to swap forks.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...-zs-zero-stack

Gigantic Hawk
    So running a 205x65 rear shock is intriguing. At full compression, I have roughly 7 mm between the tire and the seat tube. I know on hard bottom outs that this distance must be smaller. I wonder if the longer stroke will cause the tire to hit the seat tube?

Aljocha, do you have any pics of your shock aired out with the suspension fully compressed? I'd be interested in seeing just how much space there is between the tire and the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mellymelson View Post
    PM sent!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RSparkVB4 View Post
    PM sent!
    I'd also take one for $25 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm effectively running my front fork as a 150mm travel fork as my front fork naturally sags 10mm and I'm not setting sag based on 160 any longer but based on 150 instead.

I'm an aggressive trail rider and I think I prefer the overall feel of the bike like this. It just seems really responsive and fast with great front end traction.

Gigantic Hawk
    I'm effectively running my front fork as a 150mm travel fork as my front fork naturally sags 10mm and I'm not setting sag based on 160 any longer but based on 150 instead.

I'm an aggressive trail rider and I think I prefer the overall feel of the bike like this. It just seems really responsive and fast with great front end traction.
    Does it feel better because the stack is lower? The head angle is steeper? The fork performs better with more sag?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Not sure, heck maybe it's all in my head.
    The bike just feels very sporty, a bit firmer and steeper (even though I have the -1 headset installed), rigid and accurate, less floppy on climbs, and with really good front end traction.
    Not sure if all that is due to this 1 small change or if my entire set up is just now fully dialed for me.
    I know this, a replacement bike isn't even being considered, this one feels so right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I am having near perfect setup, but in the very steep rolls the front end seems to disappear in to the distance what should I do to this? body position? more stack height? already have a 35mm riser. More volume spacers in the fork? 0 atm because I feel like it works the best in the flatter rooty trails for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by samperg View Post
    I am having near perfect setup, but in the very steep rolls the front end seems to disappear in to the distance what should I do to this? body position? more stack height? already have a 35mm riser. More volume spacers in the fork? 0 atm because I feel like it works the best in the flatter rooty trails for me.
    I personally think the 30mm stem is a no go. It's not about bike fit, it's about front end feel. 45-50mm stem is the sweet spot.

Gigantic Hawk
    A bigger rise bar helps to keep the front end pointed straight on the climbs. Suns-PSD may be right in that a longer stem may be the way to go. Currently, I have a 50mm rise bar that rides quite nicely, but I prefer a higher stack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I run a 35mm rise Oneup bar at 5'11" on a Large with 1 small spacer underneath. I'd run a 40mm rise bar if Oneup made one.
    I tried all the stem lengths from 30 to 60mm. I ended up keeping the 45 as my ideal. Comparatively the 30-35 length stems are pretty bad. The front of the bike (any bike really) won't stay in place and the bike understeers. Stem length is NOT just a fitment issue, it's much more than that.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 05-21-2020 at 05:39 AM.

Gigantic Hawk
    I have no idea how anybody was able to control the earlier Mondraker bikes that came with a 10mm stem.

wuss
    Anyone have opinions on wheels? Was thinking of saving some weight by replacing the E1700ís with a custom DT180/XM481 setup... With light spokes that ends up somewhere around 1650g.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I ordered hoops from Carbon Fan, P321 hubs, and then had them built up using Berd spokes.
    I did this because I was able to select every facet of the wheels from width, number of spokes, and lay up. And I made decisions separately for the front and rear based on this. They also came out extremely light, I forget how light but even with a rear downhill layup it was under 1450 as I recall.
    My total cost was right at $1500.

wuss
    Iím in Europe so slightly different market, but the basics probably are similar. I would be ordering the build from a shop known for doing good builds.

I was considering aluminium as I donít really want to be thinking of my rims when I should be thinking of my lines. I donít do too much big jumps or drops, though there are some small ones here and there. Iím generally also quite light on my my wheels, never broke a set. But my trails are really rocky and I frequently scratch my rims, I assumed carbon might not like that?

I did find a set of 2020 DT Swiss XRC 1200 for a really good price. Those are only 25mm internal width, but could be strong enough for me (I noticed DT has bumped them up to ATSM3 and at the same time moved XMC1200 to ATSM4 so they might have more trust in them).

wuss
    Whatís that brake adapter in the back? Has anyone put a 160 disc on the rear, is it possible?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Foxy's arrive with a specific brake adaptor. 180mm is the only rear choice and appropriate for this application.

Gigantic Hawk
    Iím in Europe so slightly different market, but the basics probably are similar. I would be ordering the build from a shop known for doing good builds.

I was considering aluminium as I donít really want to be thinking of my rims when I should be thinking of my lines. I donít do too much big jumps or drops, though there are some small ones here and there. Iím generally also quite light on my my wheels, never broke a set. But my trails are really rocky and I frequently scratch my rims, I assumed carbon might not like that?

I did find a set of 2020 DT Swiss XRC 1200 for a really good price. Those are only 25mm internal width, but could be strong enough for me (I noticed DT has bumped them up to ATSM3 and at the same time moved XMC1200 to ATSM4 so they might have more trust in them).
    Spank and Newman make some of the lightest and strongest aluminum rims that you can affordably buy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    In Europe you can look for bargains at rczbikeshop. Bought xmc1200 (30mm) for my Foxy from there. But they are not really a shop, availability is sporadic and delivery may take 90 days..

wuss
    Thanks, I actually subscribe to their newsletter but have missed the XMC1200 every time. I also find the newsletter annoying, I ordered DT carbon wheels for my roadbike from them. Great price, but I still donít have them almost 2 months later...

Iím currently contemplating between EXC and XMC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

New mondraker foxy carbon 29

Make sure to subscribe to the French newsletter. It arrives always 1-2hours before the English one

I sort of wish I would have gone with XRC1200, then the bike should have been just below 13kg. Now it is 13.2kg. Well, it is just a number

wuss
    If I had the XRC series I think it would affect my riding. I was contemplating for long, and decided on the EXC 1200. I think itís likely overkill, but still very light and should be ok even if I pick bad lines.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Tried my Foxy 29 L back to back on a local trail as a Mullet compared to standard.
    Effing despised the way it rode like that, which surprised me.
    Does look cool however!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Have any riders experimented with different size front chainrings? Not from a gearing standpoint but instead from a rear suspension behavior standpoint.

How does a 30, 32, 34T ring effect rear suspension performance? I've only ran a 32 but was kicking around some different gearing ideas.

Thx.

Gigantic Hawk
    Have any riders experimented with different size front chainrings? Not from a gearing standpoint but instead from a rear suspension behavior standpoint.

How does a 30, 32, 34T ring effect rear suspension performance? I've only ran a 32 but was kicking around some different gearing ideas.

Thx.
    I shredded a tooth on my chain ring during this afternoon's ride. I think I have an oval to put on it, but have to check. I'll update with the results.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I shredded a tooth on my chain ring during this afternoon's ride. I think I have an oval to put on it, but have to check. I'll update with the results.
    Updates on this gearing experiment?

Also, does anyone recall what a bare large Foxy 29 frame weighs? Or with a shock or whatever?

Gigantic Hawk
    Updates on this gearing experiment?

Also, does anyone recall what a bare large Foxy 29 frame weighs? Or with a shock or whatever?

The oval is mounted, it is a 32t. I haven't ridden it yet. I hope to get out there this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've been on a 32T oval ever since I built my Foxy so I don't know any different.

What I can see is that when the 32T oval is at it's largest, the chainline is about 5mm above the pivot, where on my wife's Foxy 27.5" running a 30T oval the chainline is directly in line with the upper pivot.

Comparing some online AS charts it looks like on most bikes reducing the front chain ring size by 2 teeth, essentially increases AS by about 22%, which is a LOT.

Lots of the most modern bikes are running around 125% AS and many are as high as 150%. The Foxy 29 is sitting around 108% (depends on the gear, sag, etc.) so although the Foxy feels super efficient to me, maybe it isn't in comparison to others. I dunno.

The only way know is to swap the front chainring and test. I'm also going to test a round 32T I have around here.

I'm also kicking around going to a Leonardo 9-48 cassette as I feel it's a better pairing with a 30T.

We'll see. Oh yah, I'm mega jacked up currently and can barely stand so I'm in no place to test any of this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That was an interesting experiment. I swapped from my usual 32T oval to a 30T oval I had (it was on my wife's bike so I swiped it) and even though it was not a proper test at all (just a mile of pavement and 100 yards of singletrack) the bike is CLEARLY more efficient like this.
    Will definitely experiment more and might even test the 28T.

Gigantic Hawk
    That was an interesting experiment. I swapped from my usual 32T oval to a 30T oval I had (it was on my wife's bike so I swiped it) and even though it was not a proper test at all (just a mile of pavement and 100 yards of singletrack) the bike is CLEARLY more efficient like this.
    Will definitely experiment more and might even test the 28T.

Just a thought here, but I wonder if this is because the widest part of a 32t is more like a 34t, and the widest part of a 30t is more like a 32t?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well, a smaller front chain ring results in more anti-squat which is pretty much always a positive (up to a point) which also results in more pedal kick back which is always a negative and what these new high pivot bikes are exactly trying to solve. I don't know if pedal kick back really matters on a bike moving at a decent pace down a trail.
    Look where the top of your chain intersects with the suspension pivot. When the chain is below that point the chain has less leverage on the rear suspension.
    The problem with ovals (I suspect) is that when you are at your strongest, the ring is larger and AS is reduced and at your weakest AS is highest. At least round rings are consistent in this regard.
    I don't have a round 30 or 32 I could test unfortunately to decide if more stable AS is more important than the advantages of an Oval chainring.
    But one thing that remains true is that a smaller chainring increases relative AS on either a round or an oval.
    I tell you it was shocking how much more peppy my Foxy felt just swapping to a 30T from the 32T, both ovals.
    I also ordered a Leonardi 9-48 cassette today as I already found my Eagle 50T useless before.

Gigantic Hawk
    Some random thoughts on this:

A 30t oval will allow the bike to ride as intended when the pedals are level. Great for downhills and flow.

A 30t oval will increase AS in fast corners when the pedals are vertical. Great for keeping the bike from compressing into the berm.

A 30t oval may help prevent energy loss on hill climbs as the suspension should bob less overall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    AS only counters peddaling forces. No effect when not peddaling.

I rode today and even though I'm injured I could tell right away that the bike was standing up taller when peddaling. This has a real nice and noticeable effect as it maintains STA.
    The suspension felt too stiff as well, but then I wasn't riding my normal trails and my entire body hurts so who knows.

Thicc Member
    Yes, I have experimented with different chainrings but on a Mach 6. It seems a two tooth difference affects a.s. by about 5%. I went from a 30 to a 32 to get less a.s. and it's noticeable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Yes, I have experimented with different chainrings but on a Mach 6. It seems a two tooth difference affects a.s. by about 5%. I went from a 30 to a 32 to get less a.s. and it's noticeable.
    How did you quantify the AS difference?
    What was your reasoning behind wanting to reduce AS? Was it all about the pedal kick back or some other factor?
    Thx

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Interesting topic as a smaller chain ring will take it further away from the magic 100% anti squat number which i thought was the ideal pedal platform.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sean44 View Post
    Interesting topic as a smaller chain ring will take it further away from the magic 100% anti squat number which i thought was the ideal pedal platform.
    It's not. If you powered your cranks with an electric drill rotating the crank spindle, then yes 100% would be ideal. However in reality the rider is bouncing up and down on the bike smashing down on the pedals. Also going up hills transfers weight back further sagging the suspension.

Of course anything over 100% is lifting the back end of the bike so too much might hurt you as well. Obviously you don't want your pedal strokes to be used to lift your ass an inch, so you want just enough to offset those other forces, and that's probably rider dependent.

A bike with say 80%-90% AS (i.e. Stumpjumper) feel like an inefficient bike. Several bikes float around that 95-110% (i.e. Canfield Balance, Foxy) and they generally feel darn good, but not amazing in the AS category. They seem to offer a good balance between Pedal kickback and AS. (PK and AS are directly related, can't get more of 1 without getting more of the other unless you go HP) 115% -150% AS is becoming the norm on the bikes that are considered the best pedaling bikes because it's enough to offset those additional downward pedaling forces. The new Enduro 29 runs about 122% for example which is why even though it's a heavy pig the E29 pedals better than the current SJ trailbike.

I never stop shopping for my next frameset, IMO it's not easy to beat the frame package that the Foxy offers. However one I am considering (comes with a significant weight penalty) is the Kavenz. The Kavenz is a high pivot bike that runs about 140% AS but doesn't suffer the pedal kickback that all normal bikes suffer when the AS really gets cranked up because of the HP. The result is it should pedal sort of like a XC bike with shitty tires.

I think with a 32 oval, the Foy 29 is running below the designed AS as it's effectively on a 34T when applying power.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm able to go to a 28t on the Riot. My wife can go to 30t on her Wreckoning. IMHO there's a little kickback that can be barely noticeable and you can have more AS with a smaller ring. Granted more AS csn have you hanging up on technical climbs. Which is why some say 100% is the best compromise. I prefer a 30t in tech on my bike and 32 on my wife's. I don't notice a difference in desending. So it depends more on what we're climbing if that makes sense. I find the stock setting on Shimano derailure clutches have more of an impact on feel. Sram seems to have a better feel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Talk to me about this hang up sensation?

When I rode my bike for the first time with a 30T oval yesterday it felt much harsher than usual. But I'm injured currently and everything hurts so wasn't sure what to make of it..

Why would rear suspension get hung up more due to more AS?

Thx

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The rear suspension moving with terrain is technically a squat. Antisquat resits this. When you're climbing and hit a square rock you want the rear to move but not too much. With over 100% AS you tend to get more of a hardtail feeling in tech, sometimes even being stopped by something that you could ride. IMHO a 100% through out travel is better than 120% at sag that fall off in travel for climbing. Higher AS I find i stop pedaling when the rear hits somthing on a climb, vs i keep pedaling on a lower AS bike. There is too low as well that the bike sinks in travel. This is why I feel 100% is a sweet spot. On long fireroads I'd take a higher AS anytime. So I switch my chainring for certain rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for that. Makes sense.

Gigantic Hawk
    32t oval vs 32t round

Firstly, I run ovals on my ss and my fat bike. The Foxy R has been a round ring bike since I bought it (and the drivetrain and suspension are still stock). I prefer ovals. I took the bike out last night for some climbing and descending. The bike pedaled much better seated, but I assume that has more to do with the oval than it does the slightly larger radius of the ring in the power zone (less AS). That said, the bike does bob a bit more when standing while climbing. I did not really notice any difference when pointed downhill. I did set some PR's on Strava, but that doesn't mean much to me yet. I will need to replicate the results to show that there is an actual improvement.

My next step it to order up a smaller oval. I will get either a 30t or a 28t. I am undecided, and will need to crunch some numbers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's a good data point.
    The only comparison I have is 32 oval vs 30 oval and I much prefer the 30 as the bike feels notably more sprightly. Best I can tell as I recover from my accident, the suspension bump absorption is the same as always. That said, as I'm riding slowly now (my back and ribs are injured) my standard suspension setup is super stiff front and rear when used for casual riding.
    Regarding bob, I sort of like to sprint in a high gear on pavement, and look down between my legs at the rocker link as it's easy to see it move in contrast to the seat tube. By my eyes, the bob is more with the 30T oval. Still the bike feels better.
    Wish I had a 30 & 32 round to test but it's not in the cards at the moment.
    I do have a 28T oval on my wife's bike I could easily test but I'm pretty happy as is.
    Also I swapped to a Leonardi 12sp 9-48 cassette. It shifts beautifully and I prefer the 533% range, the gear spreads, in a smaller cassette.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I might order some cheap round chain rings off Aliexpress just for testing purposes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've also noticed that to have a straight chain line on my Foxy, my bike needs to be in around 10th gear, where in reality I probably average closer to 5-7th gears on a typical trail ride.
    Running a smaller front chain ring is going to enable me to on average, have a straighter chain line, resulting in a net improvement in driveline efficiency.

Gigantic Hawk
    I've also noticed that to have a straight chain line on my Foxy, my bike needs to be in around 10th gear, where in reality I probably average closer to 5-7th gears on a typical trail ride.
    Running a smaller front chain ring is going to enable me to on average, have a straighter chain line, resulting in a net improvement in driveline efficiency.

Would a BB30 style ring give you a better chain line? I used a BB30 direct mount oval on my Canfield to give me a perfect chainline with optimal chainstay clearance when running it as a single speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I seem to be wearing out bearings in the zero link and the bottom shock bushing a hell of a lot more than on any of my previous bikes. Has anyone else has a similar issue and is there a way to mitigate it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've never even worked on mine besides running the roller bearing in the lower shock pivot.
    But I don't ride mud and hardly ever wash my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Would a BB30 style ring give you a better chain line? I used a BB30 direct mount oval on my Canfield to give me a perfect chainline with optimal chainstay clearance when running it as a single speed.
    Don't think it would make a difference. It's not a bike specific thing, it's just the nature of boost chainrings, 12 speeds and the reality that plenty of my riding is just slogging along at lower speeds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I do live in the UK and itís hardly ever dry so I suppose thatís probably why, but they still seem to have worn out a lot quicker than anything else Iíve owned. The feel of the bike far out weighs the extra few nights working on it anyway.

Gigantic Hawk
    Got about 1000 feet of climbing in this weekend. The oval killed it, but I did pay more attention to the bob. It is definitely there on flat ground pedaling. I don't notice it going up. I only got one good day of riding in as it appears I wrecked a seal in the rear Hope brake. I need to buy a lighter crankset (current is NX) so that I can get a 30t oval for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I honestly learned on ovals cause it was one of the first items I ever purchased for a mtb.
    Now you've got me wondering if there is something too this whole round ring thing .
    I'm sticking with my 30T oval for the time being.

Gigantic Hawk
    Now you've got me wondering if there is something too this whole round ring thing .
    I'm sticking with my 30T oval for the time being.

You should stick with it unless you want to put in more effort on the uphill climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by brigg View Post
    I seem to be wearing out bearings in the zero link and the bottom shock bushing a hell of a lot more than on any of my previous bikes. Has anyone else has a similar issue and is there a way to mitigate it?
    Yea the Mondraker Foxy is a not a bike to be ridden in any sort of wet conditions. The lower link is shaped like a cup, the rear bearings get a direct spray from rear wheel, the bottom shock bushing sees a lot of rotation... There is no real mud protection and the rear tire clearance is as bad as it can get.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Mine has lots of hours on it and I've done no maintenance at all on any linkage.
    Rear tire clearance is indeed poor.
    Saw the new '21 Foxy's online.
    Much better suspension choices with air Ohlins on the top 2 specs. No coil shock to be seen.
    There is no bike that has been released that I'd prefer over my Foxy, although i continue to search.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Yea the Mondraker Foxy is a not a bike to be ridden in any sort of wet conditions. The lower link is shaped like a cup, the rear bearings get a direct spray from rear wheel, the bottom shock bushing sees a lot of rotation... There is no real mud protection and the rear tire clearance is as bad as it can get.
    Luckily all of those lower bearings and bushing are super easy to change.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Picked up a demo 2019 Carbon Foxy today from my LBS. Thanks all for the informative discussion here. It's been ~25 years since my last favorite mountain bike (a Cannondale 'Beast of the East'). I was grinning ear-to-ear riding the Foxy around today and am looking forward to more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Hey guys, I've been lurking on this thread for a while and figured I'd share my experience as well. Similar to many of you!
    I have about 1500 miles on my Medium carbon XR 29.
    • GX Eagle with a 32T chainring,
    • Shimano XT 8120 trail brakes 180mm front and rear
    • DT Swiss XMC 1200 wheels. I have a
    • 50mm stem and 760mm bars (the stock 30mm is not for me)
    • I'm currently running the stock 66* head angle, but have spent most of the miles on the bike at 65*.
    • Lyrik Ultimate 160mm
    • Fox DPX2 with 0.86 token for added ramp up
    • Minion DHF 3C 2.5" front
    • Rekon DC 2.4" rear. As others have said, clearance is limited. The DHRII 2.4" was a royal pain with mud

A few notes that others have mentioned : the lower link absolutely murders bearings in the wet northeastern US. The DPX2 really is a poor fit to this bike, but I haven't gone further than that yet, but the 0.86 mod has helped a lot.
    The bike is tremendously fast and functions very well at speed, up and down. It gets hung up and can behave a little oddly on technical sections and tightly spaced rock gardens.

New mondraker foxy carbon 29-00100trportrait_00100_burst20200405152646805_cover.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast