New mondraker foxy carbon 29 - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Lol.

I don't think you realize how forces act upon that upper rail. It's also solid, whereas tubular rails are hollow.
    The frame has a lifetime warranty.
    I'm not worried.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Ya, I don't know the forces on upper rails or of good and evil, but regardless, I was just being facetious
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2 :rockon:
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5 :arf:
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT :headphones:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I demoíed a Foxy29 pretty extensively and ended up with a Ransom. The ransom is way more plush! The cool thing about the ransom is you can put it in ďtraction modeĒ with the touch of your thumb and climb and descend in this setting without issue if your trails donít dictate a full 170/170 travel. Traction mode reduces travel to 120mm and while in 120mm the bike still feels ďgoodĒ. You also have an option of full lock out but I donít really find that necessary.
    It would seem that the more likely comparison would be the Genius-Foxy or the Dune-Ransom. I've owned the latest Genius, it's what I had before getting the Foxy. The Foxy feels better in nearly every regard. The Genius is more progressive and feels a tiny bit more plush but it's mush less efficient. The geo on the Foxy is absolutely perfect for my needs. I haven't ridden a Ransom but I'd imagine it feels like a big Genius based on the reports I've read. I'm sure its amazing and extremely versatile.

The Foxy probably isn't the bike for everyone. The fact that I've PR'd every section of trail that I've ridden on the Foxy by a decent margin tells me that it's the bike for me. From trail rides to long climbs with long fast and technical descents, PRs on everything. Has me wondering how a Dune rides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Less efficient in what way? Does it bob under power that much even in "traction" mode?
    Honestly, I wanted a Foxy 29, as I'm currently riding a Foxy 275, but under no way would I consider it an upgrade, if it would be even harsher at the back end than my current rig. I'm after something more forgiving, and if the Ransom is that, then I might just buy it.
    I might miss how the Mondraker climbs under power, but if the downhills are better, than I'm willing to sacrifice a bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Here is the input I'll offer:

1) The stock Foxy I rode was harsh, front and rear. But it was also set up by a Pro Enduro Racer, that might have been the issue. Cause even the new Fox 36 felt quite harsh and that's independent of the bike. Also, on the demo ride, the bike bobbed what I considered excessive. I could actually look at the seat stays in relation to the seat tube and see them moving with every pedal stroke which I was surprised by, and took note of. Literally the demo bike tired me out after a 45 minute ride as it was so harsh. Also the demo bike was sort of an average spec whereas my Yeti was a top line build with Cf wheels, etc.

2) I've only ridden my own Foxy with the Avy modified Superdeluxe. It's more firm/ holds the bike up better than my Yeti 5.5 with an Avy X2 and RWC bearings by a bit. I'd say the rear suspension plushness on my Foxy feels close to how many other bikes I have ridden stock feel, like the new Mach 6, the new Bronson, the Ripmo, HT, etc... But it's not harsh at all like the demo bike was and it's dramatically more comfortable. It does not bob at all when being pedaled. So to summarize, it feels much less harsh than the demo ride, yet also has a much better pedaling platform. I love descending on the bike and I love the way it turns and fits. But the way it pedals is what really allows me to cover miles notably faster.

3) I don't Strava for a few reasons. Mainly I use my phone so much when riding anyways (music, running my business, unlocking my car) that I can't take an additional drain on the battery. As a business owner I have to stop and deal with dumb questions which would interrupt segments. So I don't have my ride times on my local trails. HOWEVER, I am MUCH faster on the Foxy than I was on my well loved Yeti 5.5. It's not even close. It's noticeable to me, it's noticeable to my riding buddies. I'm literally flying up stuff that I was poking up before.

I really thought when I ordered the Foxy 29 that I already had an amazing bicycle in the Yeti and that all I was gaining was a better fit and that it was essentially a lateral move for thousands of dollars. Really I just was in the mood for a new bike but told myself I was just wasting money. I also didn't even order my Foxy until I had closed a deal on a used Superdeluxe to go on the bike as I didn't like the OEM shock options.

Then I read the PB review just days after I gave my non-refundable deposit and was pleased to read that ML thought the bike pedaled really well. I knew Mondrakers had a rep as good pedalers and this was also a factor in my bike order. I was excited about the prospect that it might improve my pedaling performance over the heralded SI. ML also reiterated that it gave a lot of confidence on the steep gnar descents which is always a plus and something else I could use.

But then I rode my own Foxy 29 and realized it was actually a tremendous improvement all around. It did require a 3-4 ride learning curve to really get it to turn the way I needed it to. But this bike made me a MUCH faster rider over my Yeti 5.5.

I started about 5 years ago on an '08 26" Ibis. It was a fine bike to start on. I then moved to a Gen 1 Bronson. That bike only did one thing better than the Ibis, it gave me confidence on steep gnar. I then moved to the Yeti and it was a faster bike, but the position on it negatively effected my steep gnar descending abilities. But overall I was faster. Well the Foxy has that low back feeling the Bronson had giving me lots of confidence, while pedaling considerably better than the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here is the input I'll offer:

1) The stock Foxy I rode was harsh, front and rear. But it was also set up by a Pro Enduro Racer, that might have been the issue. Cause even the new Fox 36 felt quite harsh and that's independent of the bike. Also, on the demo ride, the bike bobbed what I considered excessive. I could actually look at the seat stays and see them moving with every pedal stroke which I was surprised by, and took note of. Literally the demo bike tired me out after a 45 minute ride as it was so harsh. Also the demo bike was sort of an average spec whereas my Yeti was a top line build with Cf wheels, etc.

2) I've only ridden my own Foxy with the Avy modified Superdeluxe. It's more firm/ holds the bike up better than my Yeti 5.5 with an Avy X2 and RWC bearings by a bit. I'd say the rear suspension plushness on my Foxy feels close to how many other bikes I have ridden stock feel, like the new Mach 6, the new Bronson, the Ripmo, HT, etc... But it's not harsh at all like the demo bike was and it's dramatically more comfortable. It does not bob at all when being pedaled. So to summarize, it feels much less harsh than the demo ride, yet also has a much better pedaling platform. I love descending on the bike and I love the way it turns and fits. But the way it pedals is what really allows me to cover miles notably faster.

3) I don't Strava for a few reasons. Mainly I use my phone so much when riding anyways (music, running my business, unlocking my car) that I can't take an additional drain on the battery. So I don't have my ride times on my local trails. HOWEVER, I am MUCH faster on the Foxy than I was on my well loved Yeti 5.5. It's not even close. It's noticeable to me, it's noticeable to my riding buddies. I'm literally flying up stuff that I was poking up before.

I really thought when I ordered the Foxy 29 that I already had an amazing bicycle in the Yeti and that all I was gaining was a better fit and that it was essentially a lateral move for thousands of dollars. Really I just was in the mood for a new bike but told myself I was just wasting money. I also didn't even order my Foxy until I had closed a deal on a used Superdeluxe to go on the bike as I didn't like the OEM shock options.

Then I read the PB review just days after I gave my non-refundable deposit and was pleased to read that ML thought the bike pedaled really well. I was excited about the prospect that it might improve my pedaling performance over the heralded SI. ML also reiterated that it gave a lot of confidence on the steep gnar descents which is always a plus and something else I could use.

But then I rode my own Foxy 29 and realized it was actually a tremendous improvement all around. It did require a 3-4 ride learning curve to really get it to turn the way I needed it to. But this bike made me a MUCH faster rider over my Yeti 5.5.

I started about 5 years ago on an '08 26" Ibis. It was a fine bike to start on. I then moved to a Gen 1 Bronson. That bike only did one thing better than the Ibis, it gave me confidence on steep gnar. I then moved to the Yeti and it was a faster bike, but the position on it negatively effected my steep gnar descending abilities. But overall I was faster. Well the Foxy has that low back feeling the Bronson had giving me lots of confidence, while pedaling considerably better than the Yeti.
    Man, I really appreciate your thorough comment, it really helps.
    What frame size do you have @ what height?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Cristescu View Post
    Less efficient in what way? Does it bob under power that much even in "traction" mode?
    Honestly, I wanted a Foxy 29, as I'm currently riding a Foxy 275, but under no way would I consider it an upgrade, if it would be even harsher at the back end than my current rig. I'm after something more forgiving, and if the Ransom is that, then I might just buy it.
    I might miss how the Mondraker climbs under power, but if the downhills are better, than I'm willing to sacrifice a bit.
    Iíd say the Ransom or Dune would be your best bet if DH Performance is the absolute most important thing for you. In the traction setting the bike doesnít bob excessively but I got tired of messing with the switching of the suspension on rides. The Foxy puts the power down more effectively.

Every bike will sacrifice one thing for another. Itís just a fact of life unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Man, I really appreciate your thorough comment, it really helps.
    What frame size do you have @ what height?
    I'm 5'11" with longish arms/ legs on a size Large, I have my seat as far back as the lines on the rails allow it to go, run a 35mm stem about slammed, 40mm rise bar, and have a 175mm KS Lev Ci dropper. The distance from the top of my pedals to the top of my seat is (EDITED) 36". The fit is beautiful. It's the first bike that feels 'normal' to me. I always felt a bit awkward on my other bicycles. I had to run a 60mm stem on my L Yeti 5.5 and it still felt short front to back.

If you are anywhere near Central TX, you can ride the thing. I know these are huge investments and these bikes aren't exactly common.
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 12-02-2018 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Smile

I'm 5'11" with longish arms/ legs on a size Large, I have my seat as far back as the lines on the rails allow it to go, run a 35mm stem about slammed, 40mm rise bar, and have a 175mm KS Lev Ci dropper. The distance from the top of my pedals to the top of my seat is 33". The fit is beautiful. It's the first bike that feels 'normal' to me. I always felt a bit awkward on my other bicycles. I had to run a 60mm stem on my L Yeti 5.5 and it still felt short front to back.

If you are anywhere near Central TX, you can ride the thing. I know these are huge investments and these bikes aren't exactly common.
    I'm about 5'10", so a medium Mondraker is great for me, but unlike you, I have my seat as far forward and tilted downwards, for better climbing.
    Thanks for the invite, but I live on the other side of the ocean

New mondraker foxy carbon 29-vic_7629.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I think I'll demo both the Ransom and the Foxy 29 before I'll make up my mind.
    For me the sizing issue isn't that big of a deal, since I'm not that tall, and I'm in between sizes, so if I'm currently riding an M sized Mondraker with about 475 reach and a 30mm stem, If I'll buy a Capra of Ransom, I'll just get an L, which are a bit a shorter, at 465 mm, but with a 40mm stem and given a longer chainstay and a slacker head angle, I'm ok with that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GearTech View Post
    Iíd say the Ransom or Dune would be your best bet if DH Performance is the absolute most important thing for you. In the traction setting the bike doesnít bob excessively but I got tired of messing with the switching of the suspension on rides. The Foxy puts the power down more effectively.

Every bike will sacrifice one thing for another. Itís just a fact of life unfortunately.

Well, my rides usually consist of pretty long climbs, so it is important for me to conserve energy on the climbs, and I also appreciate traction on techy climbs, but the thing that drives me towards an upgrade is DH performance foremost.

mtbr member
    So youíre going to compare the downhill performance of a 150mm bike to a 170mm bike? Want me to save you some time?:-)

Perhaps you should try out a Dune, Ransom, and Foxy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's just a sick bicycle. Where I ride I have to pedal a LOT and usually under very challenging circumstances, followed by drops and chunk. The Foxy 29 just excels at this stuff allowing me to maintain a notably faster overall pace, while giving me newfound confidence in the steep stuff.

So pleased overall with this purchase.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This new EXT Stevia coil shock with the seperate hydraulic bottom out control sure sounds nice for this bike.

I slid my seat forward to try and get some additional angle on the seat tube and did a 15 mile ride like that. Flat didn't like it. My quads hurt and I didn't feel as powerful. I really feel that these really steep seat tube angles are getting a bit much. I would not want any steeper of a seat tube than I have currently on the Foxy.

Rode an SB130 today on pavement up a hill. It's not as efficient as the Foxy and both myself and the owner of the Yeti agreed, even though this Yeti had a much stiffer shock as it's owner outweighs me by 65#. It felt like a lot of bike, like a bit more bike than my Yeti 5.5. No real riding or time to adjust so hard to say for certain, but I also found the steering very floppy with that slack of a front end.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 12-06-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Gigantic Hawk

I slid my seat forward to try and get some additional angle on the seat tube and did a 15 mile ride like that. Flat didn't like it. My quads hurt and I didn't feel as powerful. I really feel that these really steep seat tube angles are getting a bit much. I would not want any steeper of a seat tube than I have currently on the Foxy.
    I think you'd just need to ride it more to develop the other muscles used. This is how triathletes ride. Not saying it's better, just that it's different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    What sizes are people running? At 188cm Iím between sizes and wondered which way I should go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm 5'11" on a large with a 35mm stem. If I had my druther's I'd want the bike 5-10mm longer so that I could run my seat a bit further forward and run the included 30mm stem and still be comfortable.

I'd lay out the dimensions of your current bike, add consideration for how you currently locate your seat, what length stem you run compared to the 30mm the Foxy is designed to utilize, and consider what you would prefer changed dimensionally compared to your current bike to decide between the L or XL Foxy.

I'd for sure take the XL at 188 cm but what I prefer and the way i'm shaped could be a lot different than you.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by sean44 View Post
    What sizes are people running? At 188cm Iím between sizes and wondered which way I should go.
    5' 8.5" on a medium. My inseam is about 29". My bike is currently stock, but will be switching to a higher rise handlebar to increase the stack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Taking a look at the -1 headset cups that came with my XR frame set, it appears I'd have to tap out the stock headset, and press in the -1 kit? Which I guess is no big deal but not certain if it's risky to go back and forth on this several times. Stretching out the frame or something.

I have zero complaints about how this bike performs, however as I look at literally every other brand new top end cutting edge Enduro type bike, I see that they all have head angles from 64-65.5 degrees. Wondering if the Foxy makes due without the negative effects of a super slack front end by virtue of having a longer front center, making the extra slackness redundant? Or if there might be some additional performance to be gained by dropping the Foxy to a -65 front end, while simultaneously making the seat angle .3 degrees steeper and dropping the BB by 3mm?

Thoughts on this?

Gigantic Hawk
    With most headsets (or cups) that adjust the angle, it is best to use the correct tool so that they line up correctly. I wouldn't worry about the frame as long as it is done correctly.

I have no idea if a slacker front end would be of benefit. I've ridden a few bikes that are slightly more slack, but it makes the trails I ride slightly harder due to their tightness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I think you'd just need to ride it more to develop the other muscles used. This is how triathletes ride. Not saying it's better, just that it's different.
    I think you are correct as seemingly I'm warming up to having the seat further forward. Was paying attention to where I was ending up and I'm really forward on the seat when climbing. The issue is that, the bike feels too short with the seat forward! LOL

I'm going to install the -1 headset cups this week, roll the bars forward, and try the seat as far forward as I can get it.

It's going to drop my BB about 3mm which is small enough of a difference that I don't think I'll mind much (maybe I'll prefer it?), it will steepen my STA .3 degree putting me around 75.8 degrees before considering the seat slid forward. It will also decrease my Reach by a few mm which I definitely don't like, but I'll try to make up for it by rolling the bars forward. And of course the head tube angle will now be 65 degrees.

If I don't like it, I'll definitely report back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I installed the included -1 headset and had my first ride on it today.

It was really cool to try that sole change in isolation. Anyways, I had an exceptional ride today, really felt one with the bike. Didn't think the bike could feel 'perfect-er' but it did today. It's not a giant change, but in all the bike felt a bit more stable/ confidence inspiring, turned freakin great, had mad front wheel traction (I have notably more weight on my hands now, enough that it was tiring at times), was unstoppable in the chunk, the slightly steeper seat angle was noticeable and appreciated, and I did whack my pedals several times today (maybe 10x where 4x is more typical on this ride) but felt particularly fast in sweeping turns.

At this time, I won't be going back. If I did more tight, slower riding, I'd consider moving the bike back to the stock headset.

I had 5 PRs and a top 10 but not sure that means much since this is literally my 2nd time ever using Strava. I see how it's addictive.

Love this bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Is there something I get wrong?

If you put the -1 HA from 66 to 65, doesnt this also slackens the STA and not steepen it? Plus you should get less weight on the front wheel so less traction and not more...?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The -1 headset actually lowers the front end of the bike. Think about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Right, its not the same as slackening the hta by traveling to a longer fork.
    Sorry, my bad

mtbr member

It was really cool to try that sole change in isolation. Anyways, I had an exceptional ride today, really felt one with the bike. Didn't think the bike could feel 'perfect-er' but it did today. It's not a giant change, but in all the bike felt a bit more stable/ confidence inspiring, turned freakin great, had mad front wheel traction (I have notably more weight on my hands now, enough that it was tiring at times), was unstoppable in the chunk, the slightly steeper seat angle was noticeable and appreciated, and I did whack my pedals several times today (maybe 10x where 4x is more typical on this ride) but felt particularly fast in sweeping turns.

At this time, I won't be going back. If I did more tight, slower riding, I'd consider moving the bike back to the stock headset.

I had 5 PRs and a top 10 but not sure that means much since this is literally my 2nd time ever using Strava. I see how it's addictive.

Love this bike.

Very interesting. I wonder if the cups are available separately?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Very interesting. I wonder if the cups are available separately?
    I'd imagine it's a Mondraker 'part' that can be ordered from someone, somewhere. It's just two metal rings.

There are also aftermarket options, Cane Creek (which tend to creak) and some others.

Knowing what I know now, I'd spend $120 or less for this change, for certain.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    So youíre going to compare the downhill performance of a 150mm bike to a 170mm bike? Want me to save you some time?:-)

Perhaps you should try out a Dune, Ransom, and Foxy?
    Well since the ransom blur the line between all mountain and enduro, it's fair to put him in the balance when you choose a new bike.

Everyone should try it i guess since you have a 120mm firm bike going uphill and a 170mm plush going down. With the twinlock we can have the best of both world.

But people have to try it to see if its fit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Is it true that the Ransom doesn't have bash guard mounts?
    If so, I'd be hiking back to the truck, or hiking around trail obstacles, nearly every ride on that thing.
    Surprised that doesn't rule it out for, well pretty much everyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yep, no ICSG tabs and a PF bottom bracket. Immediate disqualification for our terrain IMO. Such a simple thing to include too.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    thanks god you can put a bottle inside the frame...

mtbr member
    I went from a Spark AND Genius to a the Foxy 29, I owned both bikes at the same time. Twinloc is handy but I find the efficiency of the Zero suspension to be better. I donít have to worry about which setting I should be in and I donít have the additional cables. Theyíre good bikes and Iím sure the ransom is great. I prefer the Foxy 29 to the Scottís and my times confirm why.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I went from a Spark AND Genius to a the Foxy 29, I owned both bikes at the same time. Twinloc is handy but I find the efficiency of the Zero suspension to be better. I donít have to worry about which setting I should be in and I donít have the additional cables. Theyíre good bikes and Iím sure the ransom is great. I prefer the Foxy 29 to the Scottís and my times confirm why.
    Interesting.
    Can you shed some light on how the rear end of the Foxy works compared to the Scott?
    Is the Foxy that harsh as they say?

mtbr member
    Interesting.
    Can you shed some light on how the rear end of the Foxy works compared to the Scott?
    Is the Foxy that harsh as they say?
    It depends... The DPX2 is not the best shock for this bike IMO and as others have mentioned it is not progressive so it doesn't have the sofa like ride or extreme bottom out resistance that some bikes have. I don't find it overly harsh, perhaps it gives more feedback through the back wheel than other bikes. It does feel a little more plush with the Float X2 that I have on there now.

Compared to the Genius on 29s I feel like I know what's under me more with the Foxy but the Foxy has proven to be faster everywhere and it definitely doesn't lack traction. I'm constantly PRing uphill and downhill sections with the Foxy vs the Genius. The suspension just puts the power down more efficiently than the Scott's do. The cost of this is more trail feedback I suppose. The funny thing is, the small bump sensitivity is great, it's more the higher speed medium bumps where it feels slightly less plush. It's not an "ouch" kind of feeling, more of an "oh" where a super plush bike would be an "ahhh" if that makes sense. It's more of a "those bumps were damped" vs "those bumps were non-existent" in other words. Comparing the Genius to the Foxy on suspension feel alone the Genius is a bit more plush so I'd imagine the Ransom is even more so. If I were interested in a bigger bike like the Ransom I'd be more inclined to get a Nomad or a Dune though.

Are there times I wish the bike was more plush or progressive? Sure, but not nearly often enough for me to want to sacrifice all of the other amazing ride qualities this bike has.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    It depends... The DPX2 is not the best shock for this bike IMO and as others have mentioned it is not progressive so it doesn't have the sofa like ride or extreme bottom out resistance that some bikes have. I don't find it overly harsh, perhaps it gives more feedback through the back wheel than other bikes. It does feel a little more plush with the Float X2 that I have on there now.

Compared to the Genius on 29s I feel like I know what's under me more with the Foxy but the Foxy has proven to be faster everywhere and it definitely doesn't lack traction. I'm constantly PRing uphill and downhill sections with the Foxy vs the Genius. The suspension just puts the power down more efficiently than the Scott's do. The cost of this is more trail feedback I suppose. The funny thing is, the small bump sensitivity is great, it's more the higher speed medium bumps where it feels slightly less plush. It's not an "ouch" kind of feeling, more of an "oh" where a super plush bike would be an "ahhh" if that makes sense. It's more of a "those bumps were damped" vs "those bumps were non-existent" in other words. Comparing the Genius to the Foxy on suspension feel alone the Genius is a bit more plush so I'd imagine the Ransom is even more so. If I were interested in a bigger bike like the Ransom I'd be more inclined to get a Nomad or a Dune though.

Are there times I wish the bike was more plush or progressive? Sure, but not nearly often enough for me to want to sacrifice all of the other amazing ride qualities this bike has.
    Thanks so much for the details!
    If I where to stick with the Foxy, it would definitely be the alloy XR version, and I would most probably swap the coil shock for the equivalent super deluxe, just because I couldn't fathom the ideea of carying springs with me on longer rides, with a backpack.
    I am quite familiarised with the efficiency of the Foxy line-up, since I ride a 27,5 one, and I'm happy with the climbing ability, but it's exactly in the descent department, mainly the more choppy, rugged sections at speed that unease the back end, and make me wish for something more plush. At first I thought that the Foxy 29 will be more plush, but then the reviews kept pouring in and I felt a bit discouraged, looking elsewhere, and that's how my research took me to the Ransom, given the fact that it's plusher and that it has the twinlock, but it didn't convince me 100% either, given the poor spec on the 920 version and the huge 480mm seat tube on the Large frame.
    So I'm still torn between these 2 options.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I think you described the Foxy rear suspension performance well. I can feel the trail but it's never harsh or anything. And the bike has mad climbing traction. I'm running less grippy but considerably faster rolling tires (new HD soft with Pepi noodle, compared to Aggr 2.5 b4) and the bike easily out climbs my SB5.5. Not just in efficiency but traction is also great. I'm clearing lots of stuff I could not before.

I have an Avy tuned Superdeluxe, and I'd consider it perfect. Also Shockwiz considers it perfect as well. It feels firm and supportive, but never harsh or chattery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks so much for the details!
    If I where to stick with the Foxy, it would definitely be the alloy XR version, and I would most probably swap the coil shock for the equivalent super deluxe, just because I couldn't fathom the ideea of carying springs with me on longer rides, with a backpack.
    I am quite familiarised with the efficiency of the Foxy line-up, since I ride a 27,5 one, and I'm happy with the climbing ability, but it's exactly in the descent department, mainly the more choppy, rugged sections at speed that unease the back end, and make me wish for something more plush. At first I thought that the Foxy 29 will be more plush, but then the reviews kept pouring in and I felt a bit discouraged, looking elsewhere, and that's how my research took me to the Ransom, given the fact that it's plusher and that it has the twinlock, but it didn't convince me 100% either, given the poor spec on the 920 version and the huge 480mm seat tube on the Large frame.
    So I'm still torn between these 2 options.
    It sucks that the shocks chosen by Mondraker, really are not ideal for the bike for most users. (a rocky trail rider with no jumps would be well served with the OEM coil shock imo) You hate to add additional cost to such an expensive bike, however I sold my Foxy take off shock for $525 almost immediately, and never even listed it for sale. You can get some of that money back. The XR frameset only cost another $150 I think, and you have a shock that should sell for more money, and you get the offset cups too.

If you wanted a coil shock I think the bike would be amazing with the EXT shock with the separate Hydraulic bottom out damper control. It barely even weighs more than a Superdeluxe. If money were no object, I'd have one. And still might if good ride reports pop up around here.

The other option is to find a take off Superdeluxe off of a Spartan 27.5 and send it to Avy, which is what I did.

As far as the Ransom: Well it's an inch shorter in a large than the Foxy which would put me back on to a 60mm+ stem (which is another problem cause you can't just swap the stem on the Ransom!). No ISO tabs is a fatal flaw. But also my trails are so undulating I'd be throwing that Twinlock switch honestly 1000x per ride if I really wanted an ideal pedaling & descending bike the entire time. That's out of the question for me.

If I lived somewhere not nearly as chunky, and I could pedal up for 45 minutes, then descend for 20, I'd be all over the Ransom.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    What do you guys think of the Foxy 29 Bible of Bikes test?
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...-29-carbon-rr/

Gigantic Hawk
    What do you guys think of the Foxy 29 Bible of Bikes test?
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...-29-carbon-rr/
    Interesting review. I agree that the bike is not a value purchase. It is a lot of cash for something with low level parts draped on it. It works for me in that I have several other bikes laying around that could use some trickle down parts as things get upgraded.

That said, I don't totally agree with their ride report. Yes, the bike is a downhill missile. It wants and begs to go faster (and it will because the brakes on my R spec suck). Yes, the suspension is not a magic carpet ride, but also yes in that it maintains traction incredibly well. They talk about breaking through the firmness of the rear end while riding, but I don't really notice it that much. Also, a quick push down on the pedals can easily prime the suspension to be more plush when needed.

As for turning, I only notice an issue on really fast berms. I haven't quite figured out the proper way to get around berms smoothly with this thing. I agree that more weight over the front makes things easier, but I find that doesn't hold true for turns that aren't bermed. I have not had the front end wash out on me yet. I have had the front end wander quite a bit when exiting a berm as my weight shifts backward requiring greater steering input to get it back on track. This bike turns way better by using weight and proper leaning. When I am tired, I cannot keep the bike pointed straight on steep uphills. It just requires too much rider input.

I do really enjoy the Foxy. It will be better next season as I make more changes to the setup so that it fits me and my riding style more. It is definitely not a bike for everybody nor is it a quiver killer, but it is massively fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I consider myself sort of a Novice rider, as I'm about 4.5 years in to MTBing. However, I shred well above my skill level through the turns, particularly when maintaining momentum is the name of the game. This has only improved on the Foxy for me.
    Any long bike, requires additional body language to get through a turn fast. You can't be a lazy rider.
    For me, going from a pretty short bike, to one of the longest, took about 3-4 rides to get a handle on keeping the front end where it needs to be. It's about weight balance on the chassis, nothing more.
    I find the Foxy to be a superior turning machine by a fair margin.
    Also, that Foxy 29 had a DHRII which I found to have pretty poor lean angle front traction when I tried one. Back to back with a DHF, the DHR wasn't really even close.
    The last thing worth noting is that familiarity matters, A LOT. Most of these test bikes are all, kind of the same. So when a model comes along that really is well outside the standard deviation, well it's going to have to be ridden differently.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I do feel a lot of stiction in the lower shock bearing that creates a bit of break away force. I've not been able to locate a bearing for it, frankly I don't really mind it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    As far as the value, just buy the frameset, your paying a couple hundred more than the other top tier frame-sets. Who cares?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Okay, another point. That bike they reviewed, is one of Qarv's (the US mondraker distributor) demo bikes as I recognize the way it's set up.
    The one I rode, had an atrocious rear shock set up. It was so bad. And it had that DHRII up front that I mentioned I really don't like on the demo as well.

mtbr member
    This review is exactly what Iíd expect from people who havenít spent enough time on the bike. It is an adjustment in body position when cornering. Once you learn this the cornering is unbelievable even on tighter stuff.

I described the suspension earlier, setup is key and those demo bikes might have not had the best setup as discussed previously.

In other news, this Enve M9 handlebar is sick and matches the raw CF of the R frame nicely.
    New mondraker foxy carbon 29-244c627b-4e10-4346-9641-450769fa11fa.jpg

mtbr member
    One advantage of the Float X2 on this bike.

New mondraker foxy carbon 29-8097cc03-5bb8-4c71-b0fd-c2b62a0d34dd.jpgNew mondraker foxy carbon 29-7e8b9fd1-e5bc-45a5-92e5-de3b9b079646.jpg

The shock stanchion is better protected.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's a small thing but for sure the location of the rear shock and pivot catches leaves and dirt. I like the space it creates in the main triangle, and what it does for the center of gravity of the bike however.

Every design has compromises.

mtbr member
    It's a small thing but for sure the location of the rear shock and pivot catches leaves and dirt. I like the space it creates in the main triangle, and what it does for the center of gravity of the bike however.

Every design has compromises.
    Totally agree. There are bikes with similar shock placement with considerably more exposure to slinging mud. I wonder if some sort of flexible guard could be rigged for super sloppy days?

I also moved my rear mud fender back to the factory installed location. Yeah the clearance is less but it prevents the massive loading up of mud on the lower pivot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hey guys. I am building up my Foxy right now and was just curious on your input since you guys have ride time on it. For reference, I am 6'5 with 6'7 wingspan, 240 geared up. My build is frame set with DHX2 w/ 450lb spring (might need 500?), 200mm dropper, 2019 160 Lyrik 42 offset, Spline ex1501 w/ 2.5 dhf and 2.4 DHR, Next r cranks 175m, Sram eagle 12 speed drivetrain...

Questions:
    1)What brakes are you guys running? I can get Code Rs for 200 a set or XT 8020 set for 260. Trying to decide on which and if the stopping power will be ok with Codes or if XT 8020 4 piston would be better for this bike?
    2) What length stem are you running or feel best with? The recommend 30 or have you tried 40 or 50 with any degree rise? Was thinking of a 40 or 50 for my height but dont want to change how the bike would handle and feel with a longer stem. Would increasing the length of the stem effect weighting the front tire or cause washout?
    3)Do you think it would be best to go with a riser 35m bar or 25m bar, based on how the bike sits for you guys with the long reach of the foxy? Would more rise again effect weighting the front?
    4) Anyone else tried the slacker cup? Was talking to Qarv and they said with a 50mm stem and a 42 offset that the slacker 65 HA might be better to keep the bikes original geo. Opinions on this? Ride experience with 65 HA?

Stoked to get this built up in the next week or so but interested in opinions on people who have built theirs and if they could go back and make changes in purchase what would they do differently or reccomend? Not too happy with how Bible reviewed it!
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by RSparkVB4; 01-02-2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: adding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSparkVB4 View Post
    Hey guys. I am building up my Foxy right now and was just curious on your input since you guys have ride time on it. For reference, I am 6'5 with 6'7 wingspan, 240 geared up. My build is frame set with DHX2 w/ 450lb spring (might need 500?), 200mm dropper, 2019 160 Lyrik 42 offset, Spline ex1501 w/ 2.5 dhf and 2.4 DHR, Next r cranks 175m, Sram eagle 12 speed drivetrain...

Questions:
    1)What brakes are you guys running? I can get Code Rs for 200 a set or XT 8020 set for 260. Trying to decide on which and if the stopping power will be ok with Codes or if XT 8020 4 piston would be better for this bike?
    2) What length stem are you running or feel best with? The recommend 30 or have you tried 40 or 50 with any degree rise? Was thinking of a 40 or 50 for my height but dont want to change how the bike would handle and feel with a longer stem. Would increasing the length of the stem effect weighting the front tire or cause washout?
    3)Do you think it would be best to go with a riser 35m bar or 25m bar, based on how the bike sits for you guys with the long reach of the foxy? Would more rise again effect weighting the front?
    4) Anyone else tried the slacker cup? Was talking to Qarv and they said with a 50mm stem and a 42 offset that the slacker 65 HA might be better to keep the bikes original geo. Opinions on this? Ride experience with 65 HA?

Stoked to get this built up in the next week or so but interested in opinions on people who have built theirs and if they could go back and make changes in purchase what would they do differently or reccomend? Not too happy with how Bible reviewed it!
    Thanks in advance!
    I can only be of help on a couple points because our body types couldn't be more different. Fwiw I weigh 215lbs kitted up

4 piston brakes for sure. I'm running Hope Tech 3 e4s with 203mm front and 180mm rear rotors.

I use a 30mm stem with a 6 degree rise and a 30mm rise handlebar. Even with this I still use 26mm of headset spacers. I don't find it difficult to weight the front with this setup at all and it's much more comfortable than the stock zero rise 30mm stem, 15mm rise bar and 30mm of spacers. With a 42 offset fork I'd stick with a 30mm stem, you don't want to make the steering too lazy.

Don't sweat the Bible review, the bike takes a little time to get used to but once you do everything else seems antiquated.

Gigantic Hawk
    Questions:
    1) I currently have the stock Sram Guides, and they are garbage. I will be updating to Hope 4 pots. I have Hope M4's on my hardtail, and they are awesome. The new Code RSC brakes get rave reviews, and the Shimano brakes are always solid. Either one would be fine also.

2) I have the stock 30mm OnOff stem.

3) I am switching to a 50mm rise bar to get me a bit more upright.

4) I can't comment on the slacker setup, but the info from Qarv sounds ok. I'd try the 30mm stem first, and then bump it to 40 next if the 30 is too short.

My bike is a medium, and I'm 5'8".

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Questions:

Thanks in advance!
    You are a big boy. IMO, the XL Mondraker with a 40-60mm stem is going to fit you a bit like a traditional bike fits more average sized people, and that's okay. IMO, you would have been better served by an XXL, which they don't make.

The 30mm stem that Mondrakers come with (also included with the frameset) is definitely their idea of a proper fit. But at 5'11" on a Large I run a 35mm stem and it's great. There is nothing wrong with running a more traditional stem length. It's more important to fit your body after all.

As far as bars, I'm a HUGE believer in 40mm rise bars, as are most Pros judging by their set ups. The reason is pretty simple: Because of the angle of the headset you can slide your stem down and this actually extends your Reach as it moves the bars forward. Then you run a tall bar to get the height back as the bars come straight up. You can do the trigonometry and see that gaining half an inch in length is quite easy doing this. At your size I would not consider anything less than 40mm+ rise 35mm Aluminum bars and probably a 50mm Renthal Apex stem. Remember, if your stem is longer you have the ability to slide your seat forward, which is advantageous, especially at your height. I've ridden with a guy that is just about 6'4" on an XL SB130 and he runs a 60mm stem he purchased from me. Is a 60mm stem ideal? No. But the bike fits him well and he hauls ass as a result.

As far as brakes, if I was as large as you, I'd buy those Aaron Gwin brakes because they have insane power and cooling capacity. In fact I'd go heavy duty on all components that I could break or flex, wheels, tires, cranks, etc... With your size the power loss can easily be made up by you.

I am running the 65 degree headset and like it very much. HOWEVER, the Foxy 29 is very stable and fast even at 66 degrees as a factor of it's long front center and it really isn't needed at all. Since installing the headset would reduce Reach notably, at your size it's not a change I would recommend at this time. Also it lowered my BB enough that I hit my 170mm cranks about 2-3x as often as I did before. Because of your size, you need 175 cranks so you are already working with less pedal clearance than me.

It's cool to set up the bike as ideal as possibly and all that, but it being an ideal fit for YOU personally is going to result in the most comfort and speed. So focus on that first and foremost.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated! I will keep everyone updated with my results. Stoked to get to riding it soon.

Not a role model
    For those favoring 40-50mm rise handlebars, what's your grip height compared to saddle height?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Handlebars should always be just below your seat height.

mtbr member
    Handlebars should always be just below your seat height.

I'm not sure that's 100% accurate. As a general rule perhaps but It's highly dependent on body measurements and riding conditions. I have short legs and a long torso. Having my grips lower than my saddle puts me in a very awkward position. Weight balance is the most important factor I suppose.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    For those favoring 40-50mm rise handlebars, what's your grip height compared to saddle height?
    I'd have to take a look, and some measurements. I currently don't have 50mm's on my bike, but that is what I'm switching too. My reason is because I would end up in a similar position to my hardtail (Canfield N9). The lower stack height of the Mondraker is hard on my back and neck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm not sure that's 100% accurate. As a general rule perhaps but It's highly dependent on body measurements and riding conditions. I have short legs and a long torso. Having my grips lower than my saddle puts me in a very awkward position. Weight balance is the most important factor I suppose.
    Makes sense if you have shorter than typical arms.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Love this bike.

So I have begun to notice a limitation of the -1 headset installed and having a 65 degree head tube angle.
    I'm finding it harder than usual to steer the bike how I want to, when precision really matters. Slow trail speeds, it sort of over reacts to input or sort of flops. It requires more thought.
    I'm sticking with it, because the advantages outweigh this small disadvantage, but it's there. If I had no intention of riding down vertical obstacles often, and taking it to the bike park, I'd choose the 66 degree stock head angle.
    Personally, I think we are getting near the limits of what a good head angle for a trail bike really is by 65.5 or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Just wanted to add my 2c to the bike set up debate on here.

I've had a Large RR model for about 4 months - and have ridden/shuttled it like DH bike, with many tech pedal-ups in between. I'm 6'1 and sized down because I'm all arms/legs and short torso - too stretched out on the XL (plus I like to bounce and flick my bikes more than plow)

A few comments:

• Adding the slacker cups is a must do. Transforms the bike in many positive ways, with minimal down side.
    • You'll need higher rise bars - currently running 50mm rise and 30mm of spacers (pro tip - Dartmoor is the ONLY company that does 50mm bars in a 35mm clamp)
    • You'll need a longer drop seatpost - running the BikeYoke 185mm and it's excellent. Would have bought a 200mm if it was an option though.
    • Fitting a chainguide is difficult - but possible with some hack-saw modification. I'm running a 34t with a chopped up MRP upper guide.
    • Add a larger volume token to the DPX2. Earlier in this thread people said that the bike comes with the largest possible token already fitted. This is incorrect. It comes with the largest Token that Fox recommends. You can definitely add a larger one. It fits fine and transforms the rear of the bike. Do it. The kinematics mean you can run low air pressure anyway, so the shock can handle it (I'm 82kg and running ~140psi with a 0.86 blue token)
    • The lower shock bushing will flog out and start rattling after about 2-months. This sucks. I'm currently trying to come up with a way to fit a needle roller in there. Mondraker really dropped the ball by not putting bearings on that lower link.
    • The bike sucks up leaves a lot and they buzz between the rear tyre and fender. It's annoying, but not a huge deal.
    • The rear end flexes - but this feels like a feature, rather than a bug. The ride quality is brilliant.
    • The yellow colour grows on you over time.

All in all a spectacular bike. Take your time tweaking the set up. Once you get it right this thing is a rocket.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Great tips. Please post what you find on the needle bearing thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by linclinc View Post
    Just wanted to add my 2c to the bike set up debate on here.

I've had a Large RR model for about 4 months - and have ridden/shuttled it like DH bike, with many tech pedal-ups in between. I'm 6'1 and sized down because I'm all arms/legs and short torso - too stretched out on the XL (plus I like to bounce and flick my bikes more than plow)

A few comments:

• Adding the slacker cups is a must do. Transforms the bike in many positive ways, with minimal down side.
    • The lower shock bushing will flog out and start rattling after about 2-months. This sucks. I'm currently trying to come up with a way to fit a needle roller in there. Mondraker really dropped the ball by not putting bearings on that lower link.
    • The bike sucks up leaves a lot and they buzz between the rear tyre and fender. It's annoying, but not a huge deal.
    • The rear end flexes - but this feels like a feature, rather than a bug. The ride quality is brilliant.

All in all a spectacular bike. Take your time tweaking the set up. Once you get it right this thing is a rocket.
    Please expound on the slacker cups comment. how is the bike transformed specifically?

I haven't had an issue with the lower shock bushing but I'll keep an eye on it.

Yes on the leaves, lots of noise. My fender it the front does this too though.

I believe the flex is a design feature. Yes it flexes but it seems to enhance the ride quality as you mentioned.

Gigantic Hawk
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/explor...em-length.html

Interesting article on Pinkbike about stem and bar combos. I think some of this math is what can lead the Foxy to be overly twitchy when pointed uphill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Please expound on the slacker cups comment. how is the bike transformed specifically?
    A lot of this comes down to personal preference and the nature of the trails that you regularly ride. My local trails are rocky, loose and technical. I also come from a DH background, so I'm used to a bike that has the front axle a long way forward of the handlebars.

This said, I found that with the steeper head angle (~66) and the short offset, I kept oversteering in corners - or at least having to ride differently to manage the bike's tendency to oversteer. The 'arc' that the front wheel made around corners just felt tighter than it should be and a bit foreign. The steering also felt too 'light' and twitchy with the steeper head angle and short offet (which is weird, as shorter offset is supposed to make the front track more slowly - but I think the steep head angle overpowers this effect).

Not specific to the bike, but more a point about slack head angles generally, changing to having the axle further ahead of the bars is much more confidence inspiring when: a) riding at low speeds up and over square edged rocks, b) pushing weight onto the front tire in loose corners, c) chopping into rough sections at speed. My local trails have these three things in abundance.

Gigantic Hawk
    Installed a 150mm 9point8 Fall Line R dropper today. The R is the new lightweight option. I have a medium frame so space is limited for longer dropper posts. The R just barely fits for my height of 5'8". I have a regular 150mm Fall Line as well that I may install for comparison. I do want to point out that I had no issues with the OnOff Pija that came with my Foxy other than it didn't provide enough drop at 125mm. Anybody that wants a bigger dropper on a medium frame, but is my height or shorter will really need to do their research. The lowers on most droppers are far too long to fit far enough into the frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That's great that you have a 150 dropper at 5'8"! I'm on a 175 dropper, at 5'11" on an L, with about 6mm showing.

For fun I took my time and measured my effective seat tube angle ( w/ the -1 offset). I run my seat absolutely as high and forward as reasonable, however the forward part didn't matter as I measured to the center of the seat post, which just so happens to be right where I suspect the center of my butt weight is.

Anyways, 76 degree effective seat tube angle on the dot. Honestly sometimes it feels a bit too steep.

Gigantic Hawk
    At 76 degrees, you are almost on point with the Foxy geo chart for effective seat tube angle.

As far as too steep, do you feel that to be the case only on descents and flat ground, or with climbing too? I'd assume the angle should feel pretty good when climbing the steep stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Stock the Foxy has a 75.6 degrees STA per the geo chart but the -1 headset should make it 75.9 degrees.
    The 76 I measured is certainly within my margin of error.

The steep seat tube angle is fantastic when climbing steeps, but everywhere else I don't feel as strong when peddaling. My quads are getting more sore as well. I'm still assessing and trying to get use to it. But when the bike was first put together with the 75.6 degrees and my seat also slid back, took absolutely no getting use to. It felt perfect right away. I'm 5-6 rides in at 76 degrees and seat slid forward and it still doesn't feel quite right. When I intentionally slide my arse too far back now, I feel more powerful instantly.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 01-17-2019 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Greetings, has anyone considered running a MRP progressive spring with the DHX on this bike since there seems to be lots of talk of that shock paired with this bike not working well, not progressive enough...
    https://mrpbike.com/products/enduro-...e-coil-springs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krystof View Post
    Greetings, has anyone considered running a MRP progressive spring with the DHX on this bike since there seems to be lots of talk of that shock paired with this bike not working well, not progressive enough...
    https://mrpbike.com/products/enduro-...e-coil-springs
    Funny you mention that. I saw MRPís post on IG a few days ago and that was the first thing on my mind. I would probably go with a boutique shock like the MRP Hazzard, Avalanche or something similar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Same here, saw the post and thought of the Foxy. Are you suggesting other shock mfr's other than Fox bcs you don't like how the Fox performs or just don't like Fox?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I like my revalved Superdeluxe air shock on this bike personally, and so does Shockwiz I'll add.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Copy that, I'll look into it.. ty

mtbr member
    Same here, saw the post and thought of the Foxy. Are you suggesting other shock mfr's other than Fox bcs you don't like how the Fox performs or just don't like Fox?
    I like Fox just fine. I'm running a Float X2 right now and it feels really good.

I like boutique stuff too though. I will probably send the Float X2 to Avalanche for custom valving before moving to a coil though. I do like the finite adjust-ability of air.

On a somewhat related note the bike climbs insanely well with the X2's climb switch engaged. It climbs really well with it open but settles down with the switch engaged. For technical climbs I'd leave it open but I'm doing a fire road, long grinding climb it is just a bit better with the switch engaged.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I had Avy tune Fox 36/ X2 on my old Yeti.

I've got Avy tuned RS on the Foxy.
    RS is just a better product.

An interesting note is that Avy used the exact same damping cartridge on my Fox 36 vs. my Yari, yet the feel and Shockwiz results are way different. The Yari shows nearly perfect, with the same results regardless of what terrain or how I ride. The Fox showed a radically different result anytime ride conditions changed. That's all in the air side.
    The X2 would never get right either. Apparently the shaft piston doesn't have enough diameter to shim it correctly, the adjusters are nothing but an orfice with a needle, the HSC blow off isn't shimmed but is nothing but a basic reed valve design, among other design faults. The Superdeluxe is a higher quality piece inside, without the fluff of essentially useless controls on the outside. I will say this, Avalanche can make the Fox suspension work much better.

Of course the problem remains, as of yet RockShox will not sell the Super Deluxe in the size we need. You have to find a take off from a Spartan.

Both my shock and forks get this result on Shockwiz. Ultimately, Craig has a slightly different opinion on what correct high speed valving is.

Gigantic Hawk
    Interesting results. I still have the stock DPX2 on mine. I plan to run it for the upcoming season as it has been fine so far. If I do swap it out, it would probably be for something like the Topaz from DVO.

Gigantic Hawk
    Anybody running a bash guard with a roller or pulley on it yet? I'm wondering if the extra drag is worth the quieter ride and greater chain retention.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Anybody running a bash guard with a roller or pulley on it yet? I'm wondering if the extra drag is worth the quieter ride and greater chain retention.
    Do you mean like a chain retainer above the chainring? They don't fit on the Foxy. The frame bulges out right there. I had an MRP one piece bash guard with a chain retention device from my old bike, and I ended up having to cut the chain guard portion off. I called Qarv when I was putting the bike together and told them what I was encountering and they said they had just heard about this problem for the 1st time the previous day before I called them. They mentioned a specific brand of chain guide that will clear with some modification. I would call them directly to find out if you've got to have one.

Also they are sending out new chain stay protectors that are supposed to be quieter; they're just not ready yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Noted, thank you for the input 👊

mtbr member
    Also they are sending out new chain stay protectors that are supposed to be quieter; they're just not ready yet.
    Question: Where did you hear this? Where can I get one? When are they due in?

Comment: The Fox Shocks aren't as tune-able from an aftermarket standpoint but they're far from bad. This Float X2 is feeling pretty dialed for me. Are there better options? I'm sure there are. Will I sweat it? Nope...

Gigantic Hawk
    Do you mean like a chain retainer above the chainring? They don't fit on the Foxy. The frame bulges out right there. I had an MRP one piece bash guard with a chain retention device from my old bike, and I ended up having to cut the chain guard portion off. I called Qarv when I was putting the bike together and told them what I was encountering and they said they had just heard about this problem for the 1st time the previous day before I called them. They mentioned a specific brand of chain guide that will clear with some modification. I would call them directly to find out if you've got to have one.

No, I mean one where the guide or pulley is below and behind the chain ring.

Like this,
    New mondraker foxy carbon 29-671482d1328406128-2x-chain-guide-bash-guard-photo-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Question: Where did you hear this? Where can I get one? When are they due in?
    QARV (the US Mondraker importer) told me. Apparently they're gonna send them to the selling dealers to distribute to the customers. No timeline was given. But they told me this like 2 months ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    No, I mean one where the guide or pulley is below and behind the chain ring.

Like this,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	671482d1328406128-2x-chain-guide-bash-guard-photo-1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	1234196
    What does that accomplish? My 6 year old's Specialized HotRock has one of those.

Gigantic Hawk
    What does that accomplish? My 6 year old's Specialized HotRock has one of those.

It keeps the chain from clanking around during suspension movement, and it adds chain wrap to the front ring preventing drop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Bikes all built up and ready to go. Have an old 50mm stem and 20mm rise bars on now and still need to cut the steerer tube. Only thing left to get is new bars and stem. Any noticable difference between 35mm and 31.8 stem/bar combo. Now that everyone has ride time, 50mm or 40mm rise bars? I'm planning to slam it as low as possible to gain some extra reach for my height while still being comfortable. Planning on 40mm stem too. Wont let me upload pics for some reason on my phone to show it built.

Gigantic Hawk
    Bikes all built up and ready to go. Have an old 50mm stem and 20mm rise bars on now and still need to cut the steerer tube. Only thing left to get is new bars and stem. Any noticable difference between 35mm and 31.8 stem/bar combo. Now that everyone has ride time, 50mm or 40mm rise bars? I'm planning to slam it as low as possible to gain some extra reach for my height while still being comfortable. Planning on 40mm stem too. Wont let me upload pics for some reason on my phone to show it built.
    35mm vs 31.8mm comes down to manufacturer. Renthal claims that both of their bars have the same ride characteristics. Other brands may be different, but the general rule is that 35mm provides a stiffer bar that can be equal to or lighter than the 31.8mm bar.

As for bar rise, I'd measure out the front end height to determine where you want your bars to end up. My bike is about 1" lower than where I'd like it so I'm heavily considering 40mm Renthal Fatbars, or 50mm Spank vibrocores. Both the 40's and the 50's give me more than an inch of rise, but my stem is not slammed so I have spacers to play with.

I'd read the handlebar/stem article that I linked too in this thread. It has given me a lot to think about in how my current setup affects the handling of the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You are a huge dude.

Get the high rise bar, in aluminum and 35 diameter, with a long stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Would a RockShox Super Deluxe Coil RCT with trunion dimension of: 205mm x 65mm or 205mm x 60mm work on a Foxy??
    ty!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Would a RockShox Super Deluxe Coil RCT with trunion dimension of: 205mm x 65mm or 205mm x 60mm work on a Foxy??
    ty!
    Call Craig @ Avalanche. My shock started with a 205 x 65 and Craig just installed a stroke reducer. Same way that RS would reduce the stroke.

mtbr member
    Call Craig @ Avalanche. My shock started with a 205 x 65 and Craig just installed a stroke reducer. Same way that RS would reduce the stroke.

I wonder if they can do this for a coil as well. I'm tempted to try the new Zocchi Bomber CR with the MRP progressive spring, tuned by Avy of course. They don't make it in the 62.5 stroke but they do make the 65.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hey, I'm considering running a 29 front / 27.5 rear. What are your thoughts about this? I'm afraid that the BB will be too low :/ Any idea how to raise it?

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by embi View Post
    Hey, I'm considering running a 29 front / 27.5 rear. What are your thoughts about this? I'm afraid that the BB will be too low :/ Any idea how to raise it?
    Why? Why would you do this? Just run 29 front and rear like the bike was designed for.

mtbr member
    I wonder if they can do this for a coil as well. I'm tempted to try the new Zocchi Bomber CR with the MRP progressive spring, tuned by Avy of course. They don't make it in the 62.5 stroke but they do make the 65.
    Just confirmed with Avalanche that a simple spacer under the bottom out bumper is all that's needed to adapt most 205x65 shocks to 62.5 for use on our bikes. Bingo!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I won't be surprised if the mixed wheel thing is our next mountain biking trend.
    However, to be optimized, obviously the bike must be designed with that in mind.
    That said, a 2.5- 2.6 width 27.5" isn't much shorter than a 2.3 29er and is going to make a pretty minimal geo change. Basically it will slack the STA, slack the HTA, and drop the BB a few mm's. The Foxy 29 has a bit of a taller BB height by modern standards so that'll be okay.
    I'd go all in, install the -1 headtube angle kit, stick a wide 27.5" in there, put some 170 cranks on it, and report back here!
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just confirmed with Avalanche that a simple spacer under the bottom out bumper is all that's needed to adapt most 205x65 shocks to 62.5 for use on our bikes. Bingo!
    *New mondraker foxy carbon 29-screenshot_20190126-142908_facebook.jpeg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My Riot has a 350mm BB height static. Dropped to 339mm with a 27.5 and 2.5 tire. It turned better, rear tracked a little better but hung up more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    i'm either considering running a 27.5 on the rear. or getting a Dune and running 29er in the front. I want to decrease the weight, increase stiffness and i like the aesthetic of it. I already got the 170 mm cranks.

// EDIT
    Ok, so the Foxy is not capable of running 27.5 in the rear due to tyre clearance issues.

Gigantic Hawk
    Did some measuring today. My medium frame with a 9point8 R 150mm dropper provides a minimum height of 67.5cm from center of bb to center of seat rails. This is the shortest 150mm dropper that I know of.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Did some measuring today. My medium frame with a 9point8 R 150mm dropper provides a minimum height of 67.5cm from center of bb to center of seat rails. This is the shortest 150mm dropper that I know of.
    The KS Lev droppers have a very short overall length as well. I'm only 5'11" on a L and running a 175 and frankly could fit a 180 or even 185 dropper if KS made one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    i'm either considering running a 27.5 on the rear. or getting a Dune and running 29er in the front. I want to decrease the weight, increase stiffness and i like the aesthetic of it. I already got the 170 mm cranks.

// EDIT
    Ok, so the Foxy is not capable of running 27.5 in the rear due to tyre clearance issues.
    That seems really odd.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    My Riot has a 350mm BB height static. Dropped to 339mm with a 27.5 and 2.5 tire. It turned better, rear tracked a little better but hung up more.
    Good info.
    Do you think mixed wheel sizes are the future?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    ty, I called Craig and he gave me all the info... I will be ordering the RS Super Deluxe RC3 which he will adjust to 62.5 and rework it I'm also going with RS up front, Boxxer red Lyric

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ty, I called Craig and he gave me all the info... I will be ordering the RS Super Deluxe RC3 which he will adjust to 62.5 and rework it I'm also going with RS up front, Boxxer red Lyric
    Correct decision. Great job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Bike is up and running and had 2 days on the dirt. I am loving it already. Initial impressions. I do notice that you have to weight the front fork more and i am in the attack position more when riding, but it didnt take long to figure it out and i am faster on turns because of it. My quads burn more on this bike more than any other bike i have ridden and i have my seat all the way back and maxed out. This isnt only on the climbs (never really need to stand on the climbs) but just riding in general and when seated. Also, just like all the reviews, the bike does love to go fast and the faster you go, the better it handles. I notice that i have no power loss when pedaling out of turns and am pedaling in places where i normally dont because the bike is pretty efficient. Honestly, its not as plush as i though it would be, but i am still trying to dial it in for both the front and back. Lastly, this bike doesnt feel big to me at all, I had no front washout and i was absolutely trying for speed on corners and it never felt loose and this is w/ a 42 offset Lyrik and 50mm Stem.

My build w/ pics:
    -Enve 40mm rise carbon bars w/ 50mm Turbine 6 degree rise stem and 20mm spacers under. (I want to try a 50mm rise because i still feel a little hunched over right now). I felt like the reach was OK for me, but honestly i could use a little more. I had to push the bars forward some to get the reach i wanted, but then i felt the turning was slow and sluggish so i pulled them back some to get the quicker steering i wanted. Catch 22 i guess. Maybe I will take off the 10mm spacer I have left to get it a little higher and see.
    - 2019 RCT3 Lyrik 42 offset (not the 44 fox specs). Feels good so far, really supple off the top but wish i would have gone RC2 for the HSC but i got a killer deal on it that I couldnt pass up on it. When things get chundery and rocky I feel it in my hands and its doesnt plow through like i thought it would. Needs more tuning still and not enough time to really comment.
    - I am running the DHX2 but w/ a Cane Creek Vault spring @ 550lbs. My friend had the spring to use and mine came w/ a fox 450lb and i didnt even try with it on as I am 240ish pounds geared up, 230 dry and thought i was going to destroy the shock using it. I dont understand all the hate for the coil on this bike. I might have not enough time on it but so far it feels nice. Super firm in the first 20-30 percent then smooth. I dont notice it being super linear and believe me i have seen all the graphs and research. If anything I think it can be a little more plush and I am going to tune it and dial it in more. I am also going to get the MRP progressive spring (550lbs) sometime next week so i will report back with finding. I think it will be awesome because the first 25% will be 475lbs and ending 675lbs so it will be more plush off the top, where i think it could do a little better anyways and still not lose efficiency because of its high anti squat numbers.

Other items are just the standard DHF/DHR2, Code Rs, Next R carbon cranks, 9point8 200mm dropper, Diety pedals, Eagle drive train, and absolute black oval chainring. wrapped parts of the frame in 3M PPF (looks good IMO and cant notice it except it makes it a little shiny instead of matte) Any questions go ahead and ask.

Gunna get the fork dialed in more and coil and will report back, but so far just on Strava i have 3 new PRs for trails it said i have done 45, 46, and 46 times so i am a believer that this bike crushes it. For reference my last 2 bikes were a 18 Jet 9 RDO and a SC Tallboy 2 and all 3 trails were not all downhill bruisers, one is a flow trail w/ twist and no banks and this bike was still faster then both. Going to do more drops and rougher stuff tomorrow and hopefully Santa Cruz soon so we will see about how linear it really is with the coil, but now its fine. Just wanted to let you guys know my findings and experience on the bike, i have read through every post on this thread and it has been super helpful so maybe this will help someone else!

New mondraker foxy carbon 29-thumbnail.jpg
    New mondraker foxy carbon 29-3.jpg
    New mondraker foxy carbon 29-4.jpg
    New mondraker foxy carbon 29-6.jpgNew mondraker foxy carbon 29-7.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New mondraker foxy carbon 29-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks for all your input and great info on these bikes.. I'm glad I came across this thread and did my homework first before ordering...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    RSpark, good info.

Your observations about how the bike behaves matches mine.

At first my quads are over stressed due to a steeper seat tube angle, but I came to prefer the set up. Somewhere between 75.5-76.2 degrees for a STA is ideal imo.

I do wish they made an XXL for your size for the true Mondraker fit.

On the forks, take the money you saved and get an Avy cartridge for it and you'll have a better fork for the same cost as the Lyric.

Eager to hear about your coil shock results. I wish I could have ridden the coil my bike came with but I needed the cash of being able to sell it as brand new. Besides i'm a WW and knew Avy would make the lighter air shock work great.

Congrats!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Gentleman, just need a affirmation... I test rode a medium foxy and thought it was a good fit. Iím 5í10Ē normal build, legs, torso, arms are proportional lol. Due to the ďextremeĒ geometry specs the medium seems like the right fit.
    I usually ride a large in other bike.. I currrently own a large stupmjumper. Thoughts? Ty

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Gentleman, just need a affirmation... I test rode a medium foxy and thought it was a good fit. Iím 5í10Ē normal build, legs, torso, arms are proportional lol. Due to the ďextremeĒ geometry specs the medium seems like the right fit.
    I usually ride a large in other bike.. I currrently own a large stupmjumper. Thoughts? Ty
    Sounds right to me but only you can decide. I build geo charts comparing new bike contenders to my existing bike and then think long and hard about what I want in the fit to be different from my current set up. I'm highly opinionated so that was easy to see for me Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

New mondraker foxy carbon 29

Hi, that mondraker foxy size frame is right for 6í1Ē? L or xL??
    Last edited by littlebon; 02-04-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Gigantic Hawk
    The KS Lev droppers have a very short overall length as well. I'm only 5'11" on a L and running a 175 and frankly could fit a 180 or even 185 dropper if KS made one.

Good to know that another option exists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebon View Post
    Hi, that mondraker foxy size frame is right for 6í1Ē? L or xL??
    I think a large would fit you best.

mtbr member
    New mondraker foxy carbon 29-e05e2e46-501c-4b84-b4d5-077bf3a70b50.pngNew mondraker foxy carbon 29-4bff13ad-466a-4dd6-8e6b-cee7ed57107d.png

This idea has been keeping me up at night. I just have to try it. First step will be to see if the progressive spring works well with the frame. If it does the shock will be sent off to Avalanche for super awesome mods.

Gigantic Hawk

Name:	E05E2E46-501C-4B84-B4D5-077BF3A70B50.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	307.5 KB 
ID:	1237607
    Look forward to your results.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I am so torn and have been trying to decide if I should get the 500lb or 550 lb progressive spring! How much do you weigh? I am 230 dry and 240 kitted up? I am running a 550 spring now and still trying to get a feel for it.

mtbr member
    Im 220 max kitted up and run 30-33% sag. Iíve decided to lose a minimum of 20lbs as Iím carrying quite a bit of extra weight. With all these factors and considering the spring is progressive Iím going with a 400lb spring. That should give me the sag Iím looking for. Itíll probably be a little light until I shed 10lbs or so but thatís okay.

For you, how is the sag with the 550? Bottoming out? General feel?

Not a role model
    For progressive springs, isn't the spring rate the average? So if you came off a normal 400 lb/in spring, and went to a progressive 400 spring, it'd take the same force to bottom out? It'd just be softer earlier in the stroke and firmer for the end of the stroke?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    For progressive springs, isn't the spring rate the average? So if you came off a normal 400 lb/in spring, and went to a progressive 400 spring, it'd take the same force to bottom out? It'd just be softer earlier in the stroke and firmer for the end of the stroke?
    Sort of. MRP lists the rate at around 25% compression so it's not the average. It will take more force to bottom out because the linear rate equivalent goes up as you compress. So at 90% compression it's like you're running a 475# spring whereas at 25% it's equivalent to a 400# spring. The rate ramps progressively rather than linearly.

From MRP's website:
    Effective base rate:
    400 lb/in

Approximate linear-spring rate equivalent at 25% sag (rounded to nearest 25 lb. increment):
    ...on 51mm (2.0")stroke shock: 400
    ...on 55mm / 57mm (2.25") stroke shock: 400
    ...on 60mm stroke shock: 400
    ...on 63mm (2.5") / 65mm stoke shock: 400

Approximate linear-spring rate equivalent at 90% travel (rounded to nearest 25 lb. increment):
    ...on 51mm (2.0")stroke shock: 450
    ...on 55mm / 57mm (2.25") stroke shock: 450
    ...on 60mm stroke shock: 450
    ...on 63mm (2.5") / 65mm stoke shock: 475

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I don't have much to report about my own Foxy, except that I'm genuinely faster up/ down/ around. It's an easy bike to go fast on.

I'm not any braver so I still am looking for walk arounds on 6'+ drops but besides that, I've ended up being notably faster overall on the bike. I love the way the bike does everything, but especially the way it turns. A couple of my best riding buddies that use to drop me, I commonly drop them these days, which is really cool.

Weather has not cooperated with riding much lately however.

Will probably convert my Eagle to AXS once available.

I look forward to this whole coil shock with a progressive spring results thing.

No regrets and I feel this is a bike I'll ride for several years as it feels pretty future proof, for my application.

mtbr member
    No regrets and I feel this is a bike I'll ride for several years as it feels pretty future proof, for my application.
    Glad to hear you're loving it!

No way I'll go AXS. I went through 2 rear mechs last year alone. I can't stomach the idea of blasting an $800 derailleur. GX4Life!! LOL.

The only thing that would sway me from the Foxy 29 is a similar geo'd bike with a really good gearbox. Since a really good gearbox doesn't exist yet I'll stick with the Foxy. I hate derailleurs...

I did install the -1 cups recently. I haven't ridden it with the new geo yet as I slightly separated my shoulder on a ride/crash a little over a week ago. Giving it at least another week before I hit the trails hard again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    In my nearly 5 years of riding I've never killed one. There is one particular spot that banged up my shifting pretty good 2x in a row so I just walk it now. However that override clutch on the AXS would have prevented that particular damage. I think it'll run around $500 list, something I can buy for around $400 for just the derailler. The $2K price includes cranks, rotor, cassette, shifter and chain after all.

I'd love a 'good' gearbox bike as well, but I don't see that happening for quite some time.

You are going to like the -1 headset. At first I wasn't 100% sure, but I wouldn't go back now.

Here is hoping the shoulder gets to feeling better, did mine a couple of years back and it flippin' hurt at the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Bike is up and running and had 2 days on the dirt. I am loving it already. Initial impressions. I do notice that you have to weight the front fork more and i am in the attack position more when riding, but it didnt take long to figure it out and i am faster on turns because of it. My quads burn more on this bike more than any other bike i have ridden and i have my seat all the way back and maxed out. This isnt only on the climbs (never really need to stand on the climbs) but just riding in general and when seated. Also, just like all the reviews, the bike does love to go fast and the faster you go, the better it handles. I notice that i have no power loss when pedaling out of turns and am pedaling in places where i normally dont because the bike is pretty efficient. Honestly, its not as plush as i though it would be, but i am still trying to dial it in for both the front and back. Lastly, this bike doesnt feel big to me at all, I had no front washout and i was absolutely trying for speed on corners and it never felt loose and this is w/ a 42 offset Lyrik and 50mm Stem.

My build w/ pics:
    -Enve 40mm rise carbon bars w/ 50mm Turbine 6 degree rise stem and 20mm spacers under. (I want to try a 50mm rise because i still feel a little hunched over right now). I felt like the reach was OK for me, but honestly i could use a little more. I had to push the bars forward some to get the reach i wanted, but then i felt the turning was slow and sluggish so i pulled them back some to get the quicker steering i wanted. Catch 22 i guess. Maybe I will take off the 10mm spacer I have left to get it a little higher and see.
    - 2019 RCT3 Lyrik 42 offset (not the 44 fox specs). Feels good so far, really supple off the top but wish i would have gone RC2 for the HSC but i got a killer deal on it that I couldnt pass up on it. When things get chundery and rocky I feel it in my hands and its doesnt plow through like i thought it would. Needs more tuning still and not enough time to really comment.
    - I am running the DHX2 but w/ a Cane Creek Vault spring @ 550lbs. My friend had the spring to use and mine came w/ a fox 450lb and i didnt even try with it on as I am 240ish pounds geared up, 230 dry and thought i was going to destroy the shock using it. I dont understand all the hate for the coil on this bike. I might have not enough time on it but so far it feels nice. Super firm in the first 20-30 percent then smooth. I dont notice it being super linear and believe me i have seen all the graphs and research. If anything I think it can be a little more plush and I am going to tune it and dial it in more. I am also going to get the MRP progressive spring (550lbs) sometime next week so i will report back with finding. I think it will be awesome because the first 25% will be 475lbs and ending 675lbs so it will be more plush off the top, where i think it could do a little better anyways and still not lose efficiency because of its high anti squat numbers.

Other items are just the standard DHF/DHR2, Code Rs, Next R carbon cranks, 9point8 200mm dropper, Diety pedals, Eagle drive train, and absolute black oval chainring. wrapped parts of the frame in 3M PPF (looks good IMO and cant notice it except it makes it a little shiny instead of matte) Any questions go ahead and ask.

Gunna get the fork dialed in more and coil and will report back, but so far just on Strava i have 3 new PRs for trails it said i have done 45, 46, and 46 times so i am a believer that this bike crushes it. For reference my last 2 bikes were a 18 Jet 9 RDO and a SC Tallboy 2 and all 3 trails were not all downhill bruisers, one is a flow trail w/ twist and no banks and this bike was still faster then both. Going to do more drops and rougher stuff tomorrow and hopefully Santa Cruz soon so we will see about how linear it really is with the coil, but now its fine. Just wanted to let you guys know my findings and experience on the bike, i have read through every post on this thread and it has been super helpful so maybe this will help someone else!

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	1235597

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	1235598

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	1235599

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	1235600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	736 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	1235601
    Hi Spark,
    Is it an XL? I've just ordered an XL, the alloy one with Monarch RL on the rear. I'm 188cm, how tall are you?! Your seatpost is so long!!
    Tnx... Waiting for my Foxy
    Marco

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Mods please delete, double post.
    Last edited by RSparkVB4; 02-14-2019 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Double post

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Im 220 max kitted up and run 30-33% sag. Iíve decided to lose a minimum of 20lbs as Iím carrying quite a bit of extra weight. With all these factors and considering the spring is progressive Iím going with a 400lb spring. That should give me the sag Iím looking for. Itíll probably be a little light until I shed 10lbs or so but thatís okay.

For you, how is the sag with the 550? Bottoming out? General feel?
    The sag is right at 30-33% percent. If i just bunny hop in the parking lot and land to flat it will eat up all my travel and bottom out. I wouldnt notice it and dont feel it however i used a dry erase on the shaft and it completely erased to the bumper stop. Otherwise though i would never know. The only time i felt a bottom out on the trail was on a slow drop at low speeds and the rear hit hard. Other than that, I am still getting PRS on all the trails i normally ride but it still feels harsh in the rear and when I called Quarv they said I should be at a 500 spring and gave me their recommended setup which was a range of 7-9 HSC, LSC, HSR, and LSR from FULL OPEN. Fox gives a very different recommendation but again its not for this bike specifically, just for the DHX and spring rate. I was running it at fully open HSC and LSC with 12-16 LSR+HSR. I found the higher HSR helped it actually feel more planted and less harsh but still was harsh and slow in turns. The thing is, pedaling is amazing and i am pedaling in places i normally wouldnt and there is no wallow in the rear so IDK. I tried their (quarv) setup recommendations but it was after a 3 hr ride and on a flow like trail with minimal bumps so cant comment on it much. I think i am going to go with a 500 spring and re do my HSC/LSC and rebound. I have been watching all of VS Tuesday tech tunes and have a better understanding of everything now. I will say one thing, its a F'in rocket ship at straight line DH!!!

Lastly, my turning is still slower than i would like it to be on the bike. It might be that my 19 Lyrik is lacking mid stroke support and to soft in the middle. Sag is set to 22%, 110 psi, and use good amount of travel every rise and i never bottom out in the front. but i run the HSC open, and LSC at 4 from OPEN. Any more LSC and it felt harsh in the front too, maybe adding a token will help it. Lastly i have a 50mm stem with 6deg rise now and 35 mm clamp/40mm Enve riser bars. I am going to switch to a 40mm stem, 6 deg rise, 31.8 clamp/50mm riser bar. I want to see if getting rid of the extra 10mm will quicken up my turning. I have 20mm of spacers under my stem right now and to keep my same reach on the bike i would have to remove all but 5mm and that keeps my reach the same but drops my total stack by 23 mm but then i make it up with the 10mm rise from the 50mm bars. I want a 50mm carbon bar in 35mm clamp but they dont exist, so the 31.8 Enve it is.

And yes, to the other poster its an XL and i am 198mm, 105 kilo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    The sag is right at 30-33% percent. If i just bunny hop in the parking lot and land to flat it will eat up all my travel and bottom out. I wouldnt notice it and dont feel it however i used a dry erase on the shaft and it completely erased to the bumper stop. Otherwise though i would never know. The only time i felt a bottom out on the trail was on a slow drop at low speeds and the rear hit hard. Other than that, I am still getting PRS on all the trails i normally ride but it still feels harsh in the rear and when I called Quarv they said I should be at a 500 spring and gave me their recommended setup which was a range of 7-9 HSC, LSC, HSR, and LSR from FULL OPEN. Fox gives a very different recommendation but again its not for this bike specifically, just for the DHX and spring rate. I was running it at fully open HSC and LSC with 12-16 LSR+HSR. I found the higher HSR helped it actually feel more planted and less harsh but still was harsh and slow in turns. The thing is, pedaling is amazing and i am pedaling in places i normally wouldnt and there is no wallow in the rear so IDK. I tried their (quarv) setup recommendations but it was after a 3 hr ride and on a flow like trail with minimal bumps so cant comment on it much. I think i am going to go with a 500 spring and re do my HSC/LSC and rebound. I have been watching all of VS Tuesday tech tunes and have a better understanding of everything now. I will say one thing, its a F'in rocket ship at straight line DH!!!

Lastly, my turning is still slower than i would like it to be on the bike. It might be that my 19 Lyrik is lacking mid stroke support and to soft in the middle. Sag is set to 22%, 110 psi, and use good amount of travel every rise and i never bottom out in the front. but i run the HSC open, and LSC at 4 from OPEN. Any more LSC and it felt harsh in the front too, maybe adding a token will help it. Lastly i have a 50mm stem with 6deg rise now and 35 mm clamp/40mm Enve riser bars. I am going to switch to a 40mm stem, 6 deg rise, 31.8 clamp/50mm riser bar. I want to see if getting rid of the extra 10mm will quicken up my turning. I have 20mm of spacers under my stem right now and to keep my same reach on the bike i would have to remove all but 5mm and that keeps my reach the same but drops my total stack by 23 mm but then i make it up with the 10mm rise from the 50mm bars. I want a 50mm carbon bar in 35mm clamp but they dont exist, so the 31.8 Enve it is.

And yes, to the other poster its an XL and i am 198mm, 105 kilo.
    Ok I understand. With 10cm less, I'm gonna leave the seatpost lower and maybe also be quite ok with the stock 30mm stem (is your a 60?). I'll post you some photos of mine when it will be here... Take also into account that mine, or the alloy one, has also 76į vs 75,5į of seat angle respect to the carbon one. I the meanwhile I must wait for it for an other month...

mtbr member
    MRP Progressive Spring and Marzocchi Bomber CR initial impressions:

ITíS SO GOOD!!!

For reference Iím 220lbs ready to ride and Iím running the 400lb spring.

Itís like a combination of the small bump compliance of a coil and the progressive bottomless feel of an air shock.

On the initial ride I did my best to include as many situations as possible. These drops for example are 3í and 6í down at the landings

There was no detectable bottom out on the many times I hit them. I did bottom on the bigger one but i couldnít tell at all.

The mid stroke support is excellent. Pedaling is fantastic, no doubt a product of the Zero suspension design.

Traction is excellent. Most noticeable on flat, bumpy turns and during braking in rough sections. The bike feels more settled and predictable.

Pop off jumps and bunny hops arenít noticeably better or worse.

The Bomber CR is a very simple shock with only compression and rebound adjustments. However, it does have a great midvalve design and shim stack in the compression circuit. It is incredibly easy to get dialed in and it feels great once you do. With the efficiency of this suspension design Iím not sure complicated damper adjustments are totally necessary.

So it seems that the MRP Progressive spring delivers what it promises, to make coil shocks compatible with frames that donít have ideal ďcoil shockĒ leverage curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gigantic Hawk
    ^^^^
    Thanks for the report! Is your coil setup heavier than what came off the bike?

mtbr member
    ^^^^
    Thanks for the report! Is your coil setup heavier than what came off the bike?
    Absolutely it's heavier. It's sprung weight and it's lower in the frame so I don't mind. If I enter any XC type races I'll throw the DPX2 and light tires on it. Otherwise I just PR'd a couple decent climbs with the "heavy" coil lol.

Here's the Bomber CR, Float X2, and DPX2 Performance weights for comparison.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gigantic Hawk
    Thanks for the pics and weights!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Upgraded from a Dune XR to a Foxy 29 XR so both my bikes have the same wheelsize (Cotic Flaremax) Very impressed with Foxy so far and agree with most of the comments previously made. Efficient, fast and good cornering. I have also been looking at MRP springs with much anticipation as to the performance. I am 205lb geared up was looking at going up to a 450lb SLS from a 400lb SLS spring which may be too firm. Trying to find that extra of progression.

New mondraker foxy carbon 29-51447760_230306054589629_4739636341170503680_n-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by wake jake View Post
    Upgraded from a Dune XR to a Foxy 29 XR so both my bikes have the same wheelsize (Cotic Flaremax) Very impressed with Foxy so far and agree with most of the comments previously made. Efficient, fast and good cornering. I have also been looking at MRP springs with much anticipation as to the performance. I am 205lb geared up was looking at going up to a 450lb SLS from a 400lb SLS spring which may be too firm. Trying to find that extra of progression.

Name:	51447760_230306054589629_4739636341170503680_n (1).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	357.3 KB 
ID:	1238633
    This bike is still goodlooking in XL size, don't you?! An seems to be a good choice for tall people like us. I'm waiting for my XL, alloy version, which have also slightly different geos (seat 76 vs 75,5). I'm 188 (6'2") x 85 Kg (187lbs), just out for an L range. What's your numbers if I could?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Gentleman, I have a Foxy on order but am wondering if it comes with a headset or if I need to order one. If I need to order one does anyone know what the ID of the top and bottom tube is on the frame so I can order the correct headset? Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoM85BG View Post
    This bike is still goodlooking in XL size, don't you?! An seems to be a good choice for tall people like us. I'm waiting for my XL, alloy version, which have also slightly different geos (seat 76 vs 75,5). I'm 188 (6'2") x 85 Kg (187lbs), just out for an L range. What's your numbers if I could?

I agree. Some can look too big and almost awkward. I'm 192cm and 92kg and find it slightly short than my Dune XR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Gentleman, I have a Foxy on order but am wondering if it comes with a headset or if I need to order one. If I need to order one does anyone know what the ID of the top and bottom tube is on the frame so I can order the correct headset? Thank you!
    Call Quarv imports and they can help you out. Mine came with a headset but no bearings. The headset bearings are different sizes depending on what model you order.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You don't need bearings, just the new cups.

mtbr member
    Shock is sold

Last edited by GearTech; 03-08-2019 at 06:01 PM.

mtbr member
    What's new y'all? How are all you good people enjoying the best bike in the world?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What's new y'all? How are all you good people enjoying the best bike in the world?
    Nothing to report except that i'm a crap ton faster on this thing. I'm covering miles over very rough terrain like never before. One slight new problem is that I can shred knobs in just a few rides and I smash hard enough that broken spokes are just a (constant) part of my life now.
    I'm crazy for this bike.

mtbr member
    Schwalbe, what would you expect?

Im now a full 6months in on the bike
    Have broken two rear Nextie carbon rims (I should know better) and have tried various stem lengths and sadle positions.

Have added and removed spacers,

Have swapped a DHX2 in for the DPX2 and back out

Tried heaps of tyres...

The take away is that as a heavy trailbike itís fantastic with dpx2 and tyres around 2.5 measured. I have found the new Spanish MSC Gripper tyres the best with a firmer compound out back and softer race compound front
    It tears maxxterra tyres apart on the rear and the dual compound Maxxis are too spooky out back. MSC are definitely worth a look.

The speed of the bike on bad terrain means broken carbon rear wheels.

Avoid carbon if you are not using cushcore etc.
    Currently on DT swiss 511 EX no problems.

Also once your quads adjust its best to have the saddle central on the rails keeping your weight central. Im around 5í9í - 176cm on a medium and have put in 20mm of spacers to raise the stack and stretched the reach back to original with a 35 rather than 30mm stem.
    The bike is absolutely dialed now!

For DH and gravity work the Dhx2 rocks on the bike. Fiddly getting the right coil but perhaps the Mondraker guide is best. I used a 400lb coil for a 75/76 kg ride weight

The BEST modification I have made was fitting a luftkappe to the Grip performance 36.
    Stock I could not get the fork to work and didnít have confidence to ride the bike centrally and forward. This meant not getting the performance out of the bike that itís capable of. If you ride it Ďtraditionallyí ie: off the back too much you miss out on the gains and it can make the long bike unweildy and hard to steer - many reviews by even the likes of Bike mag say this. Its because they have not set the bike up properly and are not riding it as intended.

So with luftkappe the fork has tons more midstroke and makes you feel fantastically confident. Immediately you ride the bike faster and harder and better and it transformed my experience on the bike. Do it!

What donít I like?
    The chatter of the initial strong progression of the leverage ratio.
    That firm platform which makes it such a pleasure to trail ride is just to brittle on most small lumpy terrain.
    Only when riding the bike at its intended speed and into its travel does it become more composed and sublime. Guess its a trade off?

Next tweak?

Angle Set. Going to pop on the Mondraker angle set to see how it works with a degree or so less HA on some of our chunkier terrain. As the weather cools down south we can ride longer and on bigger stuff so will see how that goes!

Ps: DPX2 is back on. As much as the coil makes the bike faster on all tech terrain - up and down- I prefer the rear end with air. I think the kinematic is more suitable to an air shock. The dpx2 seems a perfect fit.

Happy Riding and no crashing!
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    Probably should post a pic. Prior to wheels being rebuilt...
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

Gigantic Hawk
    It's winter here in Maine so fat bikes only for now. Should hopefully be riding the Mondy in a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Professed View Post

What donít I like?
    The chatter of the initial strong progression of the leverage ratio.
    That firm platform which makes it such a pleasure to trail ride is just to brittle on most small lumpy terrain.
    Only when riding the bike at its intended speed and into its travel does it become more composed and sublime. Guess its a trade off?
    I only had a similar experience on my demo ride but not on my personal bike.

The rear suspension as set up for the demo ride had what I'd describe as way to much HSC, but not nearly enough LSC. As a result it bobbed a lot when pedaling, but was painful to ride over the chatter, like HT like.

However my own Foxy, which I've only ridden with the Superdeluxe with the Avy tune, has this fantastic pedaling platform but absorbs chatter/ bumps/ jumps/ drops like they are not even there. It never feels squishy when pedaling, but at the same time it never feels harsh.

Just another data point for you.

I wouldn't mind trying the bike with a well set up EXT shock or something comparable.

mtbr member
    I only had a similar experience on my demo ride but not on my personal bike.

The rear suspension as set up for the demo ride had what I'd describe as way to much HSC, but not nearly enough LSC. As a result it bobbed a lot when pedaling, but was painful to ride over the chatter, like HT like.

However my own Foxy, which I've only ridden with the Superdeluxe with the Avy tune, has this fantastic pedaling platform but absorbs chatter/ bumps/ jumps/ drops like they are not even there. It never feels squishy when pedaling, but at the same time it never feels harsh.

Just another data point for you.

I wouldn't mind trying the bike with a well set up EXT shock or something comparable.
    My Bomber CR is heading to Avy at the end of the week. To say I'm excited would be an understatement. It already feels really good with the stock Bomber and MRP progressive spring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My Bomber CR is heading to Avy at the end of the week. To say I'm excited would be an understatement. It already feels really good with the stock Bomber and MRP progressive spring.
    Eager to hear your results combined with that progressive spring.

mtbr member
    Seems like some tuning goes a long way.
    Would be great if the bike came dialed out of the box!

Keen to hear of other experiences of rear set ups/ tuning etc

Any idea what Avy does to soften off the top?
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Professed View Post
    Seems like some tuning goes a long way.
    Would be great if the bike came dialed out of the box!

Keen to hear of other experiences of rear set ups/ tuning etc

Any idea what Avy does to soften off the top?
    Avy leaves a proper peddaling platform while allowing it to 'blow off ' when a real bump is encountered thru the use of valving.
    The oil is forced through a small orifice making it firm, but with stock suspension it kind of hydrolocks when it gets hit real fast. With the Avy it blows off through a port that has a washer that flexes out of the way allowing the oil to flow very quickly in that moment so that all of the sudden it becomes plush when needed to.

mtbr member
    Avy leaves a proper peddaling platform while allowing it to 'blow off ' when a real bump is encountered thru the use of valving.
    The oil is forced through a small orifice making it firm, but with stock suspension it kind of hydrolocks when it gets hit real fast. With the Avy it blows off through a port that has a washer that flexes out of the way allowing the oil to flow very quickly in that moment so that all of the sudden it becomes plush when needed to.

I have the Avy open bath cartridge in my Fox 36 which does the same thing. It's phenomenal, like black magic phenomenal. The 36 was an RC2 damper prior which isn't too shabby but the first ride on the Avy cart was a revelation. It's so seamless and smooth you'd think it's able to predict the bumps.

Gigantic Hawk
    New review from Worldwide Cyclery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I feel Jeff was dead on about his assessment of the SB4.5 Geo, and recognizes a proper fitting and pedaling bike in the Foxy 29.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried an Aggressor 2.5wt on the back? The DHR II 2.4wt fits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I had a used one I thought about trying but gave it away instead.

It'll fit, but do too flex it'll rub imo.

The bike doesn't need it. The bike gets insane traction and most riders can run less rear tire on the Foxy29 as a result resulting in a faster bike overall.

mtbr member
    I had a used one I thought about trying but gave it away instead.

It'll fit, but do too flex it'll rub imo.

The bike doesn't need it. The bike gets insane traction and most riders can run less rear tire on the Foxy29 as a result resulting in a faster bike overall.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I've been fiddling about with different tires recently. I've found that the E*Thirteen TRS tires grip like nothing I've ever experienced before but roll insanely slow. I'll hold on to them for bikepark days.

Now that I have 30mm rims I'm really liking the 2.5 DHF WT 3C EXO in the front. When I was using the 26mm Stan's Arch I didn't like it at all. The 2.4 DHR II WT 3C EXO was great on the back during some recent rides but I'm wondering if the Aggressor will be even faster. I put a 2.3 DC Aggressor on there and will give it a shot today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've tried a ton of tires, but oddly enough I've never tried the Aggressor 2.3. I have went thru 3-4 aggresor 2.5s on my previous bike. Darn good tire but I consider it too slow.

So I just put a 2.3 Aggr on the shelf a couple days ago to try out next.

My current favorite rear tire is the new style Hans Dampf 2.35 Snakeskin with a Pepi's inset. It has great traction, rolls really well, is light, and resists tears very well. I love it and don't wanna change, but I tend to damage the knobs pretty quickly on them. And they are expensive, but some of that is because I can just go faster on this tire.

Gigantic Hawk
    My bike came stock with the 2.3 Aggressor. It's a decent tire, rolls well, and has moderate grip. I agree that the E13's have great grip, but roll slowly. The DHRII does great on the front, but I'm going to go with something a bit wider for this season, perhaps a WTB Vigilante.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My bike came stock with the 2.3 Aggressor. It's a decent tire, rolls well, and has moderate grip. I agree that the E13's have great grip, but roll slowly. The DHRII does great on the front, but I'm going to go with something a bit wider for this season, perhaps a WTB Vigilante.
    Good to know.

I rode today and with it being 83 degrees here I was a fair bit slower than when I ride during the winter months.

Not looking forward to summer, need road tires...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Read this entire thread before buying so thought I should share.

Got it in late January but still tinkering. I finally got the right spring for me but Iím still tuning it as I bottom out easily at the moment.

Starting to gel with the bike but it did take a while. Love the confidence going down steep terrain, it seems to feel like time slows down a bit so you can choose your line more carefully rather than just letting go and praying.

Still have a rattle from the internal cable routing to fix. Did anybody else encounter rattling from the cables?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Here's my Foxy RR - with a few upgrades:

• More rise on the bars (this colour was the only one the Aus distributor had left in a 50mm rise, sort of suits the bike)
    • Zelvy GOAT 2019 carbon wheels. Carbon is nice on a 29er. No more flex.
    • Angle set (a must)
    • 185mm BikeYoke dropper

New mondraker foxy carbon 29-wnxqhmy.jpg

New mondraker foxy carbon 29-r5u2qnc.jpg

A few things I wan't to change but can't resolve:

• Need a good chain-slap solution. Waiting for this to launch: https://stfubike.com/
    • Have had responses form a few manufacturers - but apparently there's no possible way to add a needle-roller bushing into the lower shock eyelet. Just have to deal with replacing it every few months.
    • Need to find a chain guides that fits. The heavy modifications I made to an MRP guide so that it fitted took away too much material and made the guide too weak. Now snapped...

Anyone with ideas on how to resolve?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Call Qarv regarding the chain guide issue. They told me that they represent a product line that with small modifications works fine.
    I find I don't need a chain guide, just my bash guard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Call Qarv regarding the chain guide issue. They told me that they represent a product line that with small modifications works fine.
    I find I don't need a chain guide, just my bash guard.

From Qarv:

"There is a softer compound chain stay protector that helps some. Although I do not like to, I use a Lizard Skin protector on my 29 and it solves the problem.

As for the chainguide, we do not have a guide that works with this frame. We have been in communication with Mondraker about this issue and hope that there is a resolution in 2020"

Not the best news. Might have to get a little agricultural to find a solution in the meantime. This is a bad design oversight from Mondraker - how could they release an enduro bike with ISCG mounts that can't actually fit a chainguide! It's borderline misleading.

***edit: having read the Mondraker website I now think it's definitely misleading - unless someone pops up on this forum that's been able to fit a guide. This is Mondraker's quote form the site: Foxy Carbon 29 has the option of installing a chainguide with ISCG05 mount. " ***

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the oneUp chain guide on my bike without any issues. But it is just the top guide: https://int.oneupcomponents.com/coll...ucts/top-guide

mtbr member
    Just got this beauty back from Avalanche. Marzocchi Bomber CR with the MRP Progressive Spring. Has all the Avalanche mods; speed sensitive damper, improved IFP, seals, custom tuned damper, spring collars and the improved bottom out bumper.

This is a 205x65mm shock. There's enough room for the full stroke of the shock which gives 156mm of travel. However, the stroke is so regressive at the end that the extra travel is useless. Unless you use a longer bottom out bumper like we have done here giving a nice and seamless ramp to the last 10% of the travel.

Performance is astounding. Extremely smooth yet quite supportive. Small bump compliance is excellent, high speed (30-35mph) repeated big hits are swallowed up with no packing or apparent bottom out, bigger drops will bottom the shock as they should but it isn't harsh at all. I've owned a push 11-6 and the adjustments are nice but for half the price I feel that the overall performance of this Avy tuned Bomber CR easily rivals and even beats the 11-6 in some aspects. I can confidently recommend this setup for the Foxy Carbon 29.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    GearTech, what a sweet set up!

Are you certain that 65mm stroke doesn't result in clearance issues?

I've got my Foxy torn down for some maintenance and an upgrade. I'll report back next week.

mtbr member
    GearTech, what a sweet set up!

Are you certain that 65mm stroke doesn't result in clearance issues?

I've got my Foxy torn down for some maintenance and an upgrade. I'll report back next week.

I had the shock on without the spring and the original short bottom out bumper. I bounced up and down on it hard and while the rear tire is close (~5-7mm) on full compression I couldn't get the tire or linkage to touch or bind anywhere. I'm 210lbs and was putting a great amount of force into trying to get it to bind or touch the tire. If memory serves, I think the tire will touch the seat tube without the shock installed and without the linkage binding.

Spill the beans, what upgrade?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'll be getting rid of one of those ugly cables hanging below my BB next week.

I managed to snag an AXS Eagle retrofit kit that's on the way.

Maybe I could zip tie the brake line to my bash guard? Problem is that it needs to cross back over in front of the tire. Anyways.

Anyone need an Eagle XX1 derailler, cable, and shifter?

mtbr member
    That's awesome! I may be switching over sometime this summer. The cables under the BB don't bother me but I would love to get rid of the shift and dropper cables on the cockpit...

Are you going to keep the eeWings or switch to the AXS kit cranks?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    For sure keeping the EEwings. I've killed CF cranks before so I'm trying to reduce failure points.

The AXS I bought is just a retrofit kit. It's just the handlebar controller, the derailleur, the battery, and the charger.

Of course no one really knows what the retrofit kit will cost once it's available. However the seller (a bike dealer, and friend) took off $825 off the retail price to keep the cranks, cassette, and chain to sell off which is more than I could have gotten for them.

On an unrelated note, I removed my lizard skin chain guard and stuck on some Velcro tape (the soft side) just to see if that would work to quiet chain noise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I've had the XR carbon in XL for a few months now. My observations on the DHX2 coil are that it blows through travel and has a hard bottom out unless you're dialling in lots of compression. The consequence of that appears to make it feel lumpy and difficult to manage on faster rocky terrain. I've tried two different SLS springs (90kg and on a 450). I've now put a cheap air shock on to try the difference and if it's an improvement then I'll probably look at higher end air can like an X2.
    Last edited by danlovesbikes; 04-06-2019 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by danlovesbikes View Post
    I've had the XR carbon in XL for a few months now. My observations on the DHX2 coil are that it blows through travel and has a hard bottom out unless you're dialling in lots of compression. The consequence of that appears to make it feel lumpy and difficult to manage on faster rocky terrain. I've tried two different SLS springs (90kg and on a 450). I've now put a cheap air shock on to try the difference and if it's an improvement then I'll probably look at higher end air can like an X2.
    That's exactly how all the LR charts indicated the Foxy would behave on the OEM coil shock. That's why I just removed mine when new so that I could sell it for top dollar, enough to pay for my chosen used air shock and an Avy revalve. Thanks for the confirmation as I was wondering for sure.
    I read recently that Spanish AM trails are very natural and rugged, with few man made features, which should work well with that shock.
    I'd talk to Avalanche, or even consider that EXT Storia wiith the hydraulic bottom out adjustment if your inclined to stick with a coil.
    I bet the '20 Foxy XR comes with an upgraded air shock. Let's all hope for RS as it's superior.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 04-06-2019 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I probably should have dug deeper into the LR and coil but you know, when a manufacturer specs a coil you should be able to rely on it.. naive I know. Just blew my knee up on an evening ride a few days ago (demoing a Ransom..) so I'll have to wait a week or so before I can test the Deluxe R I've fitted. I added a third token to it so it will be interesting to see if it's too progressive now. I was quite surprised to see how non pogo it was when I dropped the back end with 180psi in it. Fingers crossed it keeps some small bump compliance. Although it's more the higher speed mid-sized rock I'm looking at having control in, that's where I find the most difficulty keeping my line on.
    I'll look into the EXT if I want to keep a coil. I am curious about an air X2 but doubt I could get one to test. I'm in Perth, Western Australia and getting demos for anything here is difficult due to the number of people here (or lack thereof).
    Last edited by danlovesbikes; 04-06-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Addition

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's not niave.
    The ideal shock you want is off a 2018 Devinci Spartan 27.5" RS RT3, 205 x 65. But you'll need to shim it to 62.5mm stroke.
    Oddly enough there was one on eBay about 3 months ago in Australia for sale. I should have bought it as a spare.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for that information, I'll keep an eye out for one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

I'm using one but it's on a Stans Arch EX so not the usual 30mm width. Haven't noticed any rub even with decent speed cornering. Grips pretty well and rolls well. Holding up probably better than the DHR/DHF would on the rear. Not as good obviously in steeper situations where you need that traction for your rear brake to actually work...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    So had a cheeky ride on the Foxy today after fitting the air shock, purely in the interests of Mondraker science. Rode a few ups and downs on some local trails, bit of a mix of everything, techy terrain with almost trials type riding on flatter trail, short and loose steep climbs, fast and flowy with some berms, rocky fast descents with a few small kickers. Initial thoughts are that the air shock is clearly a better choice for the Foxy (compared to the DHX2 with SLS spring I should add).

It felt more supportive, quicker anywhere I needed to pedal, was surprisingly well controlled through the rock and seemed to help on techy climbs too. Interestingly, it seemed to spit less gravel whilst climbing. Tyre pressure was the usual 30psi rear and same tyres etc.

The only other change I had made was to fit the angleset cups to go to a 65į HA. I'm not sure why I didn't try this earlier, perhaps because I did it on a 27.5 years ago and it felt crap. On the Foxy however, it felt fantastic. A much more natural handling bike everywhere, not just descending.

I have reached out to Avalanche to discuss tuning options for the coil, but I have to say after today's ride I'm more interested in exploring the air can now and where that will go.

The biggest surprise of all though was that the shock I put on was an RS Deluxe R. It cost $190 (AUS) from eBay. I fitted 3x tokens (max) and the O-ring was saying that I'd used approximately 80% of travel. Sag was bang on 30%. I'm pretty chuffed as I was starting to look at the Ransom, but I'm now thinking that I'll hang on to this wee beastie for awhile.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have AXS going on soon and the brake & shifter cables hanging below the BB always irked my tidy sensabilities.

AXS will rid me of the shift cable. Is this a totally hair brain idea for rerouting the rear brake line? I'm not an experienced bike builder so I'm genuinely looking for advice. I dumped the shock's air pressure and there are no clearance issues. One issue however is that the brake line gets a tad loose at full compression and likely will not remain as tucked in as it appears in this photo. I need a small sticky pad with a small clamp for holding the cable.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 04-07-2019 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I'm choosing an air shock for the Foxy right now.
    What are your opinions on Fox DPX2 Elite vs RS Super Deluxe RCT?

I had the DPX2 on my previous Foxy and was happy with it, but i still wonder if the Super Deluxe could still be better. Maybe more reliable? dunno.

Thanks for advice.

Right now I'm riding my third Foxy 29er, so if you guys want to know something, I can try to help

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yes I wanna know why you're riding your 3rd one, do the frames break or something?

Rock Shox builds a much better product internally than Fox.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So had a cheeky ride on the Foxy today after fitting the air shock, purely in the interests of Mondraker science. Rode a few ups and downs on some local trails, bit of a mix of everything, techy terrain with almost trials type riding on flatter trail, short and loose steep climbs, fast and flowy with some berms, rocky fast descents with a few small kickers. Initial thoughts are that the air shock is clearly a better choice for the Foxy (compared to the DHX2 with SLS spring I should add).

It felt more supportive, quicker anywhere I needed to pedal, was surprisingly well controlled through the rock and seemed to help on techy climbs too. Interestingly, it seemed to spit less gravel whilst climbing. Tyre pressure was the usual 30psi rear and same tyres etc.

The only other change I had made was to fit the angleset cups to go to a 65į HA. I'm not sure why I didn't try this earlier, perhaps because I did it on a 27.5 years ago and it felt crap. On the Foxy however, it felt fantastic. A much more natural handling bike everywhere, not just descending.

I have reached out to Avalanche to discuss tuning options for the coil, but I have to say after today's ride I'm more interested in exploring the air can now and where that will go.

The biggest surprise of all though was that the shock I put on was an RS Deluxe R. It cost $190 (AUS) from eBay. I fitted 3x tokens (max) and the O-ring was saying that I'd used approximately 80% of travel. Sag was bang on 30%. I'm pretty chuffed as I was starting to look at the Ransom, but I'm now thinking that I'll hang on to this wee beastie for awhile.
    All good news.
    I think internally Avy can do all the same stuff to the shock you have. He just converted my climb switch on the RT3 in to a 3 position LSC switch but it's not needed, cause the middle position is correct.
    The Ransom is a seriously nice bike except: it doesn't peddle great unless you throw the bar mounted switch and no bash guard mount is a complete no go for me.

Gigantic Hawk

Would a ziptie around the chainstay be enough to hold it in place?

If you had a thin bb spacer that extended above the bb (oval shaped), it could be enough to hold the cable in place.

Whatever you do, I'd put some tape on the frame to protect the paint. It looks like a lot of rubbing will happen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have AXS going on soon and the brake & shifter cables hanging below the BB always irked my tidy sensabilities.

AXS will rid me of the shift cable. Is this a totally hair brain idea for rerouting the rear brake line? I'm not an experienced bike builder so I'm genuinely looking for advice. I dumped the shock's air pressure and there are no clearance issues. One issue however is that the brake line gets a tad loose at full compression and likely will not remain as tucked in as it appears in this photo. I need a small sticky pad with a small clamp for holding the cable.

I really don't see the issue with cables/hoses under a BB. I've had several bikes with this routing and never damaged one of them. It's extremely rocky on some of the trails locally and lot's of log overs etc to negotiate. I think that route you've chosen will definitely damage paint and with constant movement of the swingarm could potentially crack the inner sleeve of the hose. They're not really designed for that much movement.

mtbr member
    I had the Float X2 full of volume spacers and it wasn't as good as the DPX2. At first I thought I liked it better but after switching back to the DPX2 as a test I liked it better. The float was a little too linear and sort of dead feeling. Even after getting a "perfect tune" with the shockwiz.

Now I have an Avalanche tuned Marzocchi Bomber CR with an MRP progressive coil and it's exactly how I always wanted the bike to feel. So good in fast bumps and supportive enough when pumping the terrain or in berms. It does lose a tiny bit of pop but not enough to want to forego the other benefits. With the Avalanche open bath cart in the fork and this shock the bike is so composed in fast rough stuff it makes me laugh out loud during rides. I notice it most in flat bumpy/rocky/rooty turns. The traction is unbelievable.

I would have to believe that an Avy tuned Super Deluxe would be awesome as well. Really any air shock that uses a mid valve and shim stack should be tunable enough.

The EXT coils are works of art. I'd love to try one out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I had the Float X2 full of volume spacers and it wasn't as good as the DPX2. At first I thought I liked it better but after switching back to the DPX2 as a test I liked it better. The float was a little too linear and sort of dead feeling. Even after getting a "perfect tune" with the shockwiz.

Now I have an Avalanche tuned Marzocchi Bomber CR with an MRP progressive coil and it's exactly how I always wanted the bike to feel. So good in fast bumps and supportive enough when pumping the terrain or in berms. It does lose a tiny bit of pop but not enough to want to forego the other benefits. With the Avalanche open bath cart in the fork and this shock the bike is so composed in fast rough stuff it makes me laugh out loud during rides. I notice it most in flat bumpy/rocky/rooty turns. The traction is unbelievable.

I would have to believe that an Avy tuned Super Deluxe would be awesome as well. Really any air shock that uses a mid valve and shim stack should be tunable enough.

The EXT coils are works of art. I'd love to try one out.

I think anytime a bike's handling characteristics make you laugh or smile you've pretty much nailed it. Haven't had that yet on the Foxy to be honest, but taking the DHX2 off has been a step forward. I wonder if I'll get a similar result if I have the Fox tuned and put an MRP progressive spring on too?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Yes I wanna know why you're riding your 3rd one, do the frames break or something?

Rock Shox builds a much better product internally than Fox.
    I'm have a good relationship with the importer. Had two Foxy Carbon R, and now I'm riding the Foxy XR aluminium.

But no, the frames do not break. Bearings on the other hand do not last long, they're are very exposed and the mudguard is a piece of crap.

Thanks for the advice on the shock, I'm inclined to go for RockShox as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I really don't see the issue with cables/hoses under a BB. I've had several bikes with this routing and never damaged one of them. It's extremely rocky on some of the trails locally and lot's of log overs etc to negotiate. I think that route you've chosen will definitely damage paint and with constant movement of the swingarm could potentially crack the inner sleeve of the hose. They're not really designed for that much movement.
    I spoke to my Magura Rep (local guy that I text occasionally) and he said it won't hurt the hose at all but that it certainly can/ will remove the frame paint.

I'm going to shield the paint (I already placed clear tabs under the hose in 2 spots and will monitor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I spoke to my Magura Rep (local guy that I text occasionally) and he said it won't hurt the hose at all but that it certainly can/ will remove the frame paint.

I'm going to shield the paint (I already placed clear tabs under the hose in 2 spots and will monitor.
    Fair enough, might be worth trying some Invisiframe type protection then some thicker rubber. My local automotive store sells this adhesive carbon effect roll that's very thick and durable. That might work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Hey guys, placing this velcro (soft side) sticky tape on the OEM chain slap guard got rid of all chain slap noise. It's also held up well.

Took the Foxy to Bentonville this past weekend, what a fun place.
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 05-01-2019 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    I think anytime a bike's handling characteristics make you laugh or smile you've pretty much nailed it. Haven't had that yet on the Foxy to be honest, but taking the DHX2 off has been a step forward. I wonder if I'll get a similar result if I have the Fox tuned and put an MRP progressive spring on too?
    I'd try the spring alone first. If that gives you the feel you're after the tune will be the icing on the cake. If not the resale on the spring will be decent. The DPX2 isn't really too bad but a coil is much better with small and medium bumps IMO. The progressive spring gives enough midstroke support and ramp to make a coil usable in my experience.

Although, according to Craig the DHX2 and X2 are not as tunable as say the Bomber CR or RS because of the valving.

mtbr member
    I think my rear brake cable idea is probably not a good one. I'm going to attempt a little cable management thing but if that doesn't work perfectly it's going back to the usual position.

Oh yeah, just installed an AXS retrofit kit but won't get to ride until Friday cause no dropper post at the moment.

Oh man that's nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Apologies if this has been answered already..
    I bought a RS Super deluxe RCT and had it rebuilt by Avalanche to replace the stock Fox Coil on my XR. The lower shock eyelet is too wide to fit in the lower linkage. Any suggestions??
    Ty!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Apologies if this has been answered already..
    I bought a RS Super deluxe RCT and had it rebuilt by Avalanche to replace the stock Fox Coil on my XR. The lower shock eyelet is too wide to fit in the lower linkage. Any suggestions??
    Ty!!
    That really should not be the case as that stuff is pretty standard.
    My Superdeluxe bolted right on.
    I'd call Craig to see if there is something you are missing, if not anybody with a milling machine could easily reduce the mounts to the same as the stock shock.
    Keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My latest attempt at rear brake cable management.

This is what happens when you're waiting on parts to put your bike together and you have nothing else to do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Snapped back to my senses and ran the brake line back underneath. Did zip tie it to my bash guard however and then dumped the shock pressure to give it just enough slack.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Are those Sweet Wings cranks? How do you like them?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by boardguru View Post
    Are those Sweet Wings cranks? How do you like them?
    I think highly of the Eewing cranks.

I've snapped xx1 cranks clean thru so to get something that feels so direct, improves clearance (they extend less below the pedal boss than other cranks), has class leading weight, and never having a ride ruined again due to broken cranks, is worth the extra $250 I paid for them over new xx1 cranks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hi everyone, i've been reading this thread and I am very inclined to buy one! Some shop near me is selling a used R 29 for 3500Ä (they say its in good condition). Do you guys think its a good price for a used one? Another question, i've read in a lot of reviews (also here in the forum) about the linear rear suspension. In the website mondraker states that the stock DPX2 comes with a 0.6 air volume spacer, if needed it can be replaced with a 0.86 or 1.02 Inch volume spacers right? Thank you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I might become a double Mondraker Foxy family shortly.
    My wife loves MTBing nearly as much as I do and has began to not feel real comfortable on her light trail bike. The suspension travel isn't the issue, it's how short and steep the bike is.
    Anyways, trying to work a deal on a used Small Foxy 27.5 that I came across.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am 92kg and running the DHX2 on my Foxy with the MRP Progressive Spring in a 400lb. My bike came with the 400lb SLS spring and sag measures spot on. I think this spring on the shock fixes the harsh bottom outs and makes for a good match. I spent 6 days in Derby and Maydena in Tasmania and only felt a bottom out once on dirty rock huck to flat. Anyone wanting to keep a coil and not rely on dampening should go with the MRP spring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    And what are your thoughts on the way the shock feels? Square edge hits, fast rock gardens etc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    And what are your thoughts on the way the shock feels? Square edge hits, fast rock gardens etc?
    It feels great to be honest. I can't fault the shock now really on any terrain.

Gigantic Hawk
    The trails are finally getting firm enough to ride up here so I look forward to getting back on my Foxy. Over the winter, I swapped to a 40mm riser Renthal Fatbar Lite, a 9point8 R dropper, and a set of Hope V4's. Will be trying out the new stuff this weekend.

New mondraker foxy carbon 29-img_20190501_212937.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's not a foxy 29, but I just picked up this lightly used size small Foxy 27.5 RR SL for my wife. She was often complaining that her small men's Giant mountain bike was too short front to rear even though she is only 5'3.5".
    She's only been riding about a year and doesn't ride quite aggressively enough to need a bike like this. But the thing only weighs 26.76# ready to ride with GX cranks and it's a great pedaling platform too with bottle storage. It also has an adjustable chainstay which has the option of keeping it in a very short position matching the size small frame and I like that. There was no penalty for the extra travel, well besides financial.
    I only received it today taken apart and just got it together. So hopefully we'll get a test ride tomorrow.
    It's also beautiful like her, which doesn't hurt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hello

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hello, do you guys also get scratches in your chainstay because of the rocks that come with the back tire? The tire clearance is very smalI and I am running the stock 2.3 maxxis agressor. This is worrying my a lot, I have only a few hundred km and it is already scratched a lot! Thank you!

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Demorider8 View Post
    Hello, do you guys also get scratches in your chainstay because of the rocks that come with the back tire? The tire clearance is very smalI and I am running the stock 2.3 maxxis agressor. This is worrying my a lot, I have only a few hundred km and it is already scratched a lot! Thank you!
    Honestly, I haven't checked. I did break my arm ripping some sweet dh runs this weekend on my Foxy so I'll be pulling it apart for cleaning and upgrades once I get a more permanent cast on. I'll check it then and report back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast