New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts... - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 2403
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    ^^^ omg that is awesome
    extraterrestial????

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    I know paying customers waiting for their bikes won't like this, but, in between building your bikes, I have to build a couple show bikes for Interbike. Working on my wife's.

This is her color combo of choice. Note: I won't say color wy. Who comes up with these words?

Size SAttachment 1157692
    no you should call that Bike 'Aurora' because that is the color

"Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    no you should call that Bike 'Aurora' because that is the color

Borealis baby!!! good one....

CTB
    mtbr member
    Important to separate the talent form the person......But those guys were all at the top of the driver game. Walter was the best I ever worked with. Period. Soooo many stories about him...Hans was the most fun....He had Hurley's rental car put up on 55 gallon drums while were at dinner at Watkins Glen. Hurley had to beg a ride to the airport. If you saw Audi trans Am or GTO cars race, I was there. Chief Engineer of those programs. Pretty sure we won Mid-Ohio every time we went.
    Thanks for this. Still laughing about Hans... Yes, my memory is that the Audis crushed everyone at Mid-O. This makes this frame-buying experience even more fun.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I know paying customers waiting for their bikes won't like this
    I'm a paying customer waiting for my bike, but I love this! Love seeing the custom stuff. I was taught that opposite ends of the color wheel are used together for maximum effect. Purple and green aren't quite opposites, but they're close to that and they really stand out from each other.

Note: I won't say color wy. Who comes up with these words?
    Ha! Agreed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    are there any demos planned for the future in Ohio?

Tantrumcycles #1
    I know paying customers waiting for their bikes won't like this, but, in between building your bikes, I have to build a couple show bikes for Interbike. Working on my wife's.

This is her color combo of choice. Note: I won't say color wy. Who comes up with these words?

Size SAttachment 1157692
    Ooooooh my wife likes that one tooo..

www.cyco.no

mtbr member
    Wives want their bike to look like the Joker?

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-joker_card.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Wives want their bike to look like the Joker?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joker_Card.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	1157697
    yep. Everybody's wife likes that one. Warning, almost no smalls left......

nothing to see here
    ...Warning, almost no smalls left......
    damn, was hoping you'd have a few smalls left over around xmas time
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    damn, was hoping you'd have a few smalls left over around xmas time
    if you're not on the waiting list, send me an email.

mtbr member
    Aurora Purple Joker Haze Borialis

Now, she's rethinking the green fork. Not because the greens don't match, but because the green fork is taking away from her purple.......you knowNew innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-purp-3.jpg

mtbr member
    That bike is
    Name:  Document.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  13.6 KB

Going with black stem and grips would draw more attention to the purple
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

EAT MORE GRIME
    Mine will be battleship gray, with red anodize, and brown DVO

I hope BB posts a pic of it before it ships.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Tantrumcycles #1
    This thread needs another Joker!

www.cyco.no
    Last edited by Gunnar Westholm; 09-15-2017 at 09:28 AM.

nothing to see here
    if you're not on the waiting list, send me an email.
    sent from contact page on Tantrum website.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Brian,
    Potentially stupid question. The rear brakes are post mount, correct? Where do the inserts for the dropouts come from? Or am I not seeing it right and they are actually IS mount? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mine will be battleship gray, with red anodize, and brown DVO

I hope BB posts a pic of it before it ships.
    you know I will

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Brian,
    Potentially stupid question. The rear brakes are post mount, correct? Where do the inserts for the dropouts come from? Or am I not seeing it right and they are actually IS mount? Thanks.
    The rear dropouts are post mount for a 160 mm disc. If you run a 180, you'll need the standard adapter, usually supplied with brakes, but you might have to ask.

There are threaded barrel inserts that actually go in the brake mount part of the dropout. In the even t the threads get stripped, you can just change the barrel. Although I think I might eliminate that on the next run.

mtbr member
    And now, to make all of you with purple loving wives hate me:

Why does my wife want a purple bike? Duh.....to match the PurpstangNew innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-purpstang-1s.jpg

CTB
    mtbr member
    E36 M3 and a Mustang. Nice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Purple everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    E36 M3 and a Mustang. Nice!
    You know your M's. This is a '98. I had a '95 325 IS which I loved, but I knew this was the last year for the E36 M3, so I bought it new. It has 157,000 mi on it now. It's still faster than most cars on the road, will pull and honest 155mph and be rock solid.

Stock everything. I've changed tires, brake and oil.

Posing here with my ghetto boxes. While I am waiting for boxes I ordered (at the last minute, duh) my customers thus far have been greeted with a custom designed, individually artworked by myself, ghetto box. At first, I felt kind of embarrassed, reusing old boxes from other brands. But then, after redecorating, I kinda like it.
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-ghetto-boxes.jpg

EAT MORE GRIME
    great googly moogly

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    great googly moogly
    You must know uncle Joey 🤣

mtbr member
    great googly moogly
    zappa

CTB
    mtbr member
    Posing here with my ghetto boxes. While I am waiting for boxes I ordered (at the last minute, duh) my customers thus far have been greeted with a custom designed, individually artworked by myself, ghetto box. At first, I felt kind of embarrassed, reusing old boxes from other brands. But then, after redecorating, I kinda like it.

Name:	ghetto boxes.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	1158051
    The ghetto boxes just add to the personal touch of this adventure, IMO.

mtbr member

Name:	ghetto boxes.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	1158051
    It's always a good thing to save resources.

I'd be happy to get a bike in a rebadged box.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

EAT MORE GRIME
    Oh wow speaking of Tantrum color choices...I wanted gray, so BB asked me pick from this selection of Gray..and there were like 7 choices...and one type I didn't know was available and I picked it, so my bike (in my eyes anyway) is gonna be off the charts !!

Tantrumcycles #1
    Glad to hear the pedal strikes are gone. I wanted to keep the BB as low as possible for handling (like everyone else) knowing that under hard pedaling, the BB will be higher.

Right now, you have 5 volume bands, out of a possible 6, in the outer pos chamber. Zero inside.

Even on coasting, the shock wiz will not be able to differentiate Missing Link assisted bump response. Because that is different than a response to a pure vertical input, say, landing a jump. Unlike any other bike
    Out again yesterday on my favourite local loop. Still wet and muddy and I'm not back on in full strength yet either. So no Strava times to draw any conclusions from. But I must say I'm getting more and more impressed by the combination of the slack front that seems to eat up all my mistakes, and the increasing BB and HTA that as soon as recistance increases on climbes quickens up the steering just when I get the feeling the 63HTA will make climbing difficult to controle as the speed drops. Its so fun to accelerate hard and feel the instant response. Knowing there is no lockout or compromising propedal settings to worry about. No feeling of bob even with the shock fully open. But still fully active to suck up roots and rocks..
    The pedal strikes see definitely going. So all of you who are getting the Topaz shock =---> DON'T forget to check the bladder pressure in the piggy back when setting up the shock! And if you struggle with pedal strikes, check again!

www.cyco.no

mtbr member
    this what are booth looked like on arrivalNew innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-2017-booth.jpg

mtbr member
    finished building showbikes in bed till 2 am. Time to sleep for an hour and get up, finish a press release and go to the show. Let the games begin!!!!!!New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-showbikes.jpg Please retweet and reinstagram and whatever to help get the word out. Thanks B

CTB
    mtbr member
    This is great. I'm bummed that I haven't seen much coverage at all from Eurobike, so here's to hoping for some great Interbike coverage!

EAT MORE GRIME
    How to find BB quick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-inthemiddle.jpg  

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-location.jpg  

mtbr member
    finished building showbikes in bed till 2 am. Time to sleep for an hour and get up, finish a press release and go to the show. Let the games begin!!!!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	showbikes.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	1158650 Please retweet and reinstagram and whatever to help get the word out. Thanks B
    Since I can't find you on either Twitter or Instagram you might want to share this photo on your Facebook page

Tantrumcycles #1
    Since I can't find you on either Twitter or Instagram you might want to share this photo on your Facebook page
    https://www.instagram.com/tantrum_cycles/

https://mobile.twitter.com/tantrum_cycles

www.cyco.no

Yeet so hard
    Forgive me for not reading all 9 pages here...

Any plans for an XL size? I am 6'3 and it doesn't seem like the 'long' version would fit all that well

Also, I knows its fairly petty, but any options for a graphic-less frame? Or at least more subtle graphics? The current ones kinda kill my buzz (no offense meant!)
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Oh wow speaking of Tantrum color choices...I wanted gray, so BB asked me pick from this selection of Gray..and there were like 7 choices...and one type I didn't know was available and I picked it, so my bike (in my eyes anyway) is gonna be off the charts !!
    you mean like this one? For the moment, I've named this Hammered

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-silver-vein-4.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-silver-vein-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Westholm View Post
    Out again yesterday on my favourite local loop. Still wet and muddy and I'm not back on in full strength yet either. So no Strava times to draw any conclusions from. But I must say I'm getting more and more impressed by the combination of the slack front that seems to eat up all my mistakes, and the increasing BB and HTA that as soon as recistance increases on climbes quickens up the steering just when I get the feeling the 63HTA will make climbing difficult to controle as the speed drops. Its so fun to accelerate hard and feel the instant response. Knowing there is no lockout or compromising propedal settings to worry about. No feeling of bob even with the shock fully open. But still fully active to suck up roots and rocks..
    The pedal strikes see definitely going. So all of you who are getting the Topaz shock =---> DON'T forget to check the bladder pressure in the piggy back when setting up the shock! And if you struggle with pedal strikes, check again!

Cyco - Terrengsykler fra Orange Bikes, Evil og mye mer!
    thanks for the update. Beautiful picture

mtbr member
    tantrumcycles on twitter and tantrum_cycles on instagram. Twitter is brand new and instagram not.... very old. So I'll be updating all of them frequently, some with the same content, other's with different content.

mtbr member
    thanks Gunnar, sometimes I need the kids to help me with new tech that confuses and frightens me.

mtbr member
    non stop action on the first day of interbike. I New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-booth-2.jpghave stopped talking or standing for 20 minutes. Nooooo rest for the wickedNew innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-booth-1.jpg

CTB
    mtbr member
    For our English-speaking friends:
    https://www.instagram.com/tantrum_cycles/?hl=en
    Last edited by CTB; 09-21-2017 at 04:00 AM.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    Any plans for an XL size? I am 6'3 and it doesn't seem like the 'long' version would fit all that well
    I'm 6'3" as well. Based on Brian's sizing I suspect the L will fit just fine.

EAT MORE GRIME

Name:	silver vein 4.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	1158778

Name:	silver vein 3.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	1158779

Tantrumcycles #1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'm 6'3" as well. Based on Brian's sizing I suspect the L will fit just fine.
    I am 6' and L are just on the upper limit for me on Reach with 50mm stem. It took one ride to get used to, and now I really appreciate the longer reach compared to my old bike. But I need to go down to a 32 or 35mm stem to be able to relaxed enough to maintain comfortable on long rides.
    On gnarly and high speed descents the long Reach gives me support and stability I have never had before. And getting older Im ok with sacrificing a bit of playfulness for more security and confidence.
    I would say for anyone that prefere a more regular (non Race) fit, more nimble bike, (and 50-60mm stem) the L could be just right for 6'3" but It's all about personal preferences.
    I have gone from 440mm reach to 470mm and I have enjoyed both bikes allot, but in different ways..

www.cyco.no

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What is max tire width on the meltdown?

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    most Q&A about this bike is already posted in this thread

but here it is
    The Meltdown will take 27.5 x 3.25
    this was taken from page 2 post 196

but perhaps is not relevant today..
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts... - Page 2- Mtbr.com

BB will be able to answer, I am just a bystander
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 09-21-2017 at 08:22 AM.

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Check out this update on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1990042

Looks like 3.25 will only work for the 29er dropouts, 2.6-2.8 for 27.5

mtbr member

mtbr member

Wow, nice finish!

Name:	silver vein 4.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	1158778

Name:	silver vein 3.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	1158779
    B, before we get to my bike we have to talk about these new colors! Bikes look fantastic!!!

mtbr member

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/now-he...bike-2017.html

If you are a Tantrum fan go over to PB and down vote some of the dumb a$$ comments.
    Last edited by vikb; 09-22-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Friday nite after interbike. Bikes packed and shipped. Time to relax. who happens to be playing at the house of blues?

My man, carlos santana. saw him when I was 18. My seat is a little bit better than this one. Sofa king cool.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-house-blues.jpg

Tantrumcycles #1
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/now-he...bike-2017.html

If you are a Tantrum fan go over to PB and down vote some of the dumb a$$ comments.
    It's hard to not suspect someone is actually paid to spread hatered and misconceptions. Just amazing some stil keep on trying to talk you down even every rider that have been on your bikes so far have concluded it works at least as good as advertised.

www.cyco.no

mtbr member
    It's hard to not suspect someone is actually paid to spread hatered and misconceptions. Just amazing some stil keep on trying to talk you down even every rider that have been on your bikes so far have concluded it works at least as good as advertised.

I think it's just standard internet expert hatred. These guys seemed to have developed some kind of reputation as internet suspension experts, although I can't seem to find where any of them actually made anything.

I shoulda left andrex or whoever alone and not bate me in but he made such ignorant comments I had to have a talk with him

Hmm, I take it the bike is working well? Should be a few more frames built up by customers real soon.

Cycologist
    Though looks are still important, I find it funny the guys who comment that they don't like the bike because they don't like how it looks. I guess ride performance isn't very important to them.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Though looks are still important, I find it funny the guys who comment that they don't like the bike because they don't like how it looks. I guess ride performance isn't very important to them.
    And they were picking on my wife's bike!!

Anyone know why I can't post pictures here from my phone? Besides ignorance on my part?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Brian I love the bike, but will there be a carbon version? It's not the weight I care about so much as durability. I've had aluminum and carbon bikes take similar hits and one ends up dented the other just bounces.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tantrumcycles #1
    And they were picking on my wife's bike!!
    Maybe they just envy our wifes actually fits size small Enduro worthy bikes? And also loves to rock the trails with us!!! ;-)

Anyone know why I can't post pictures here from my phone? Besides ignorance on my part?
    Don't know about posting pictures. But I can recommend the Tapatalk app when it comes to picture posting from my Android.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lkpro.activity

I hope the eventually will add an word-search functionality straight from open threads when reading. I use it allot when reading forums in browsers, so very annoying to not have the same function in the app..

www.cyco.no

CTB
    mtbr member
    BB, look what I saw today in my local hobby store:

DSC02979 by ctbtyper, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Some of us are older folks and dont want to ride a neon "look at me" sign. Subtle or earthy colors are great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Brian I love the bike, but will there be a carbon version? It's not the weight I care about so much as durability. I've had aluminum and carbon bikes take similar hits and one ends up dented the other just bounces.

Ditto. I would've been an early adopter for carbon, but obviously there are many reasons Brian went his direction. I bet the design gets purchased by a big company THEN goes carbon.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
    Some of us are older folks and dont want to ride a neon "look at me" sign. Subtle or earthy colors are great.
    Oh yeah, I'm part of that crowd but the bikes are offered in more than one color way and that was a custom one-off. Some of the comments just seemed about the form of the bike. And I'm not sure I could have owned the prototype Tantrums if you saw them.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

nothing to see here
    I think that the moulds for carbon frames are prohibitively expensive, especially for a start-up, not to mention how labour intensive quality carbon is. Aluminium is just fine for me.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

WillWorkForTrail
    Oh yeah, I'm part of that crowd but the bikes are offered in more than one color way and that was a custom one-off. Some of the comments just seemed about the form of the bike. And I'm not sure I could have owned the prototype Tantrums if you saw them.
    I don't know man, that Blue on the 29er was pretty sweet.....

Of course, I'm one of those people who will ride a janky looking bike (strange colors, mismatched, whatever) as long as it works well.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Ditto. I would've been an early adopter for carbon, but obviously there are many reasons Brian went his direction.
    Just the opposite for me. I wouldn't have bought mine if it were carbon. For every yin there's a yang.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    "This will probably have me tuning in: The show was filmed and will air as the Adventure Capitalist debut episode, 10pm EST, Oct 10, 2017. Tune in to find out if any of the investors were interested enough, after riding the bikes for themselves, to invest their own money in this unlikely start up."

No offense to Brian, but I hope there are new owners and the first thing they do is change the name, branding and overall look. And congrats (in advance).

Tantrumcycles #1
    I'm convinced looks will change as they usually do along with refinement in performance​. But WHY is name, branding and looks sooooo important??? I'm not arguing against it, because it obviously is a fact that some riders care about it alot. Some obviously care about it even more then performance. A parallel is bullying among kids. If you don't look right and act cool enough you can be doomed before you even know it. No matter how smart, friendly or fare your are. Totally senseless isn't it? To me it seems like the thinking among some in bike forums are fed by the same dark inner animal instinct to put things in boxes based on very similar factors.
    I really love the looks of my Meltdown mainly because it looks like that because form follows function! I could have paid extra to get it in my favourite color combination, but that world not make me ride any better, so I prefer to prioritize mud tires, bash guard and shorter stem instead. Logic?
    For anyone who can afford custom color. Good for you. And if not, I'm sure Brian are open for more standard alternatives in the future. Complaining about others choice do nothing but feeding the ego and stupidity.
    This ended up being aimed more towards comments in other less friendly forums then this one...

www.cyco.no

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I hope there are new owners and the first thing they do is change the name, branding and overall look.
    But other than that, how did you like the bikes Mrs. Lincoln ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm convinced looks will change as they usually do along with refinement in performance​. But WHY is name, branding and looks sooooo important??? I'm not arguing against it, because it obviously is a fact that some riders care about it alot. Some obviously care about it even more then performance. A parallel is bullying among kids. If you don't look right and act cool enough you can be doomed before you even know it. No matter how smart, friendly or fare your are. Totally senseless isn't it? To me it seems like the thinking among some in bike forums are fed by the same dark inner animal instinct to put things in boxes based on very similar factors.
    I really love the looks of my Meltdown mainly because it looks like that because form follows function! I could have paid extra to get it in my favourite color combination, but that world not make me ride any better, so I prefer to prioritize mud tires, bash guard and shorter stem instead. Logic?
    For anyone who can afford custom color. Good for you. And if not, I'm sure Brian are open for more standard alternatives in the future. Complaining about others choice do nothing but feeding the ego and stupidity.
    This ended up being aimed more towards comments in other less friendly forums then this one...

You're biased because you own a Tantrum. And who is "complaining"? No one that I can see going back a few pages. Don't put tone or intent to anonymous posts. A few of us merely stated our objective and honest input: we would like carbon or a different look/name/color/whatever. Don't take it personally. I'm sure Brian doesn't because no one on mtbr is bashing his philosophy or the frame's design.

And as much as you may disagree, marketing sells bikes more than actual performance or logic because marketing reaches the masses and more often than not the potential buyer who makes the final decision does so based on ego, needs vs wants and impulse. It's why overweight newbie riders have $8000 bikes. It's why expensive sports cars sell to balding unattractive lives-in-parents basement middle age drivers. Has nothing to do with the actual on-trail performance. There are many who would not want to be at the trailhead on a bike named Tantrum with the current color schemes. It's pure ego or insecurity. That pinkbike thread has several posts about the looks or color. That's not right or wrong. It's just a small sampling of what a potential buyer thinks. Not about the performance or revolutionary work Brian has done. But a seatstay angle or name = no sale.

Brian's not a psychologist, he's a businessman, and I'm pretty sure he'd change the name and branding tomorrow if someone promised him sales would increase x-factor if the name "Tantrum" were something that would get better results in a feedback group. "Brian, the 10 focus groups told us they'd be more likely to buy if your awesome design was called something else." I bet Brian did not hold several feedback groups from different demographics. Didn't have the time, money or business background. He's an engineer with a dream and went about it his own way.

Look at Fezzari. The biggest issue with them is branding. That name is a hindrance. If a Fezzari read "Santa Cruz" or any big name there'd be more of them on the trail. *Santa Cruz recently admitted their Juliana line was a pure marketing business model. Women + colorful frames + nice magazine ad buys = plenty of Julianas on the trail! And the Fezzari is just a copycat open mould, not an original game changer like the Tantrum. Fezzari has a much bigger marketing budget compared to Tantrum. I'd guess Brian's main marketing is guerilla: internet forums. Even this discussion is helping get exposure. How much ROI comes of it we'll never know. Doesn't matter. And don't even start to think of how the Tantrum branding is NOT reaching women riders. Women often buy on emotion.

It's fantastic you're happy with your Tantrum in whatever color scheme or name. But for you to say anyone who has an issue or doesn't buy one is stupid or insecure or has an ego problem does the brand no good via it's main form of marketing (this forum).

Full disclosure: I have several decades in the marketing, advertising and public relations industry ranging from new home sales to outdoor clothing, motorsports and the bicycle industry. I've been in a million focus groups and know how target demographics work. Most consumers don't buy on logic. They buy on emotion based on marketing strategy and tactics. It's a fact. Nothing personal, it's just business.

Tantrumcycles #1
    You're biased because you own a Tantrum. And who is "complaining"? No one that I can see going back a few pages. Don't put tone or intent to anonymous posts. A few of us merely stated our objective and honest input: we would like carbon or a different look/name/color/whatever. Don't take it personally. I'm sure Brian doesn't because no one on mtbr is bashing his philosophy or the frame's design.

And as much as you may disagree, marketing sells bikes more than actual performance or logic because marketing reaches the masses and more often than not the potential buyer who makes the final decision does so based on ego, needs vs wants and impulse. It's why overweight newbie riders have $8000 bikes. It's why expensive sports cars sell to balding unattractive lives-in-parents basement middle age drivers. Has nothing to do with the actual on-trail performance. There are many who would not want to be at the trailhead on a bike named Tantrum with the current color schemes. It's pure ego or insecurity.

Brian's not a psychologist, he's a businessman, and I'm pretty sure he'd change the name and branding tomorrow if someone promised him sales would increase x-factor if the name "Tantrum" were something that would get better results in a feedback group. "Brian, the 10 focus groups told us they'd be more likely to buy if your awesome design was called something else." I bet Brian did not hold several feedback groups from different demographics. Didn't have the time, money or business background. He's an engineer with a dream and went about it his own way.

Look at Fezzari. The biggest issue with them is branding. That name is a hindrance. If a Fezzari read "Santa Cruz" or any big name it'd sell like hot cakes. And the Fezzari is just a copycat open mould, not an original game changer like the Tantrum. Fezzari has a much bigger marketing budget compared to Tantrum. I'd guess Brian's main marketing is guerilla: internet forums. Even this discussion is helping get exposure. How much ROI comes of it we'll never know. Doesn't matter.

It's fantastic you're happy with your Tantrum in whatever color scheme or name. But for you to say anyone who has an issue or doesn't buy one is stupid or insecure or has an ego problem does the brand no good via it's main form of marketing (this forum).

Full disclosure: I have several decades in the marketing, advertising and public relations industry ranging from new home sales to outdoor clothing, motorsports and the bicycle industry. I've been in a million focus groups and know how target demographics work. Most consumers don't buy on logic. They buy on emotion based on marketing strategy and tactics. It's a fact. Nothing personal, it's just business.
    I totally agree with you. But I also think it is totally ****ed up the ways it is. As with so many other things around us today. And I know I'm not alone on that...
    Of course my point of view is affected by the fact I can afford to own this amazing bike and get out and ride it. I'm sure am a lucky man!

I'm also convinced that you sharing your knowledge around emotions and lack of logics and all, is a good thing. It might make a few wake up. And since that way of thinking affects plenty of more important (at least a bit more) things in life then biking. Well who knows, it might​ make a difference...

www.cyco.no

Cycologist
    I don't know man, that Blue on the 29er was pretty sweet.....

Of course, I'm one of those people who will ride a janky looking bike (strange colors, mismatched, whatever) as long as it works well.
    I never saw the blue one, just the original orange and yellow bikes. It was really the graphics on the bikes rather than the color, I own two orange bikes myself.

Cycologist

Look at Fezzari. The biggest issue with them is branding. That name is a hindrance. If a Fezzari read "Santa Cruz" or any big name there'd be more of them on the trail. *Santa Cruz recently admitted their Juliana line was a pure marketing business model. Women + colorful frames + nice magazine ad buys = plenty of Julianas on the trail!
    Curious what makes you think Fezzari's biggest issue is their brand name. Seems to me it is more just being an online brand; is Airborne doing that much better because of their brand? I really have no idea of the sales numbers of either one.

And I don't think it was any secret on the Juliana brand, I think it was pretty obvious.

Not trying to argue, btw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Curious what makes you think Fezzari's biggest issue is their brand name. Seems to me it is more just being an online brand; is Airborne doing that much better because of their brand? I really have no idea of the sales numbers of either one.

And I don't think it was any secret on the Juliana brand, I think it was pretty obvious.

Not trying to argue, btw.
    I'm not affiliated with Fezzari nor was ever part of their marketing group. It was second-hand and anecdotal spewing based on new bike buyers who also shopped for new rides via consumer direct, online and LBS. A few thought about Fezzari but each one told me it was the name that turned them off. The pricing structure wasn't strong enough to make the leap of ownership. Last I checked a Fezzari was no better deal than a name brand on sale via backcountry, etc.

Is Airborne still in business? *slight kidding. No, really, are they?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I never saw the blue one, just the original orange and yellow bikes. It was really the graphics on the bikes rather than the color, I own two orange bikes myself.
    Exactly. The graphics and screaming face. It's like my cousin's very successful home building business. He was using 1990s orange and big bubbly fonts for his signage. It's like Def Leppard of home building. I think he even had the word "Xtreme" somewhere in his brochures until 5 years ago. Yikes.

I thought about being an initial backer and somehow stripping the aluminum frame to ride a bare under-the-radar bike. But the non-carbon and frame weight turned me away almost as much as the logo and name. It's a shame. Seems truly like an awesome ride. I purchased several new frames since the initial fund seeking. I am pretty sure my bikes aren't near as good as Brian's design.

I even had a chance to sell one of my new builds the past few weeks and thought about waiting for a Tantrum. Won't beat a dead horse: the name and logo killed that notion.

CTB
    mtbr member
    (deleted) (Why doesn't the delete function work on this message board?)

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Westin, I think you might be selling Brian a bit short..I don't pretend to know his plan but I would guess the the initial colors, name, headbadge are all part of it and that potentially he was trying to attract a certain type of demographic knowing that he would alienate another. The type of people who will shell out for a bike they have never been on, from a guy they have never heard of; not the type that won't buy a bike because of a certain color, name, etc. Niches can be filled without placating to the masses.

In other news, I am almost as excited to see Brian on TV as I am to get my bike, which will happen first?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    Westin, I think you might be selling Brian a bit short..I don't pretend to know his plan but I would guess the the initial colors, name, headbadge are all part of it and that potentially he was trying to attract a certain type of demographic knowing that he would alienate another. The type of people who will shell out for a bike they have never been on, from a guy they have never heard of; not the type that won't buy a bike because of a certain color, name, etc. Niches can be filled without placating to the masses.

In other news, I am almost as excited to see Brian on TV as I am to get my bike, which will happen first?
    I would never sell Brian short. He's a suspension genius. Unlike the pinkbike "suspension expert" who got Brian all riled up, Tantrum has been proven to work on the trail. Not just on paper.

I don't think the Tantrum design fills a niche. Too many niches within niches of the FS mtb world. And as a business owner who wants to make money, I don't think Brian wants to sell in a niche. He wants revolving capital that the masses have. Otherwise his frame prices would have to be much higher. Think Open frames.

I'm a dw link fanboy. Owned multiple of Dave's designs. Iron Horse and Independent Fabrications were the early adopters and obviously Turner, Ibis, Pivot use dw. That's where Brian's money will be. Do what Weagle did. Bigger companies with decent to large marketing budgets. Dave probably knew he'd be more successful as a suspension designer and consultant, not as a bike company.

But I'm just guessing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    (deleted) (Why doesn't the delete function work on this message board?)
    The screaming tantrum face on the headtube can be removed? Other branding not under clear coat?

CTB
    mtbr member
    Do what Weagle did. Bigger companies with decent to large marketing budgets. Dave probably knew he'd be more successful as a suspension designer and consultant, not as a bike company.

But I'm just guessing.
    Don't you think that was the whole reason for getting the suspension design patented? These first bikes are to generate excitement and positive press for how well the suspension works. That can lead to companies wanting to license the technology for their products, just like DW Link, VPP, FSR used to be, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Don't you think that was the whole reason for getting the suspension design patented? These first bikes are to generate excitement and positive press for how well the suspension works. That can lead to companies wanting to license the technology for their products, just like DW Link, VPP, FSR used to be, etc.
    Nobody wants vpp. Santa Cruz gave it to Intense. I despise vpp. Anywho, when a 120-130mm 29er carbon Missing Link comes out from the new company I'll be ready.

Cycologist
    I won't speak for Brian but I do believe he provided background on the whole thing somewhere.

mtbr member
    You gotta start somewhere. Given it's a one man show he's done amazing. Do the bikes look as refined as companies with 20+ people working on them? No. Who cares? Early adopters are getting a pretty sweet rig and folks that want to wait for Gen 2 will undoubtably see a more refined product every year.

If Brian waited until things were perfect you never see bikes hit the trails.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

CTB
    mtbr member
    Nobody wants vpp. Santa Cruz gave it to Intense. I despise vpp. Anywho, when a 120-130mm 29er carbon Missing Link comes out from the new company I'll be ready.
    You missed the point. This wasn't a discussion of merits of those suspensions. It was to point out how they were licensed to companies.

mtbr member

there will likely be a carbon version sometime in the future. If not by me/tantrum then a licensee

None in the works yet. My next batch will be aluminum, with slight revisions over the first batch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    Forgive me for not reading all 9 pages here...

Also, I knows its fairly petty, but any options for a graphic-less frame? Or at least more subtle graphics? The current ones kinda kill my buzz (no offense meant!)
    The size L at 470 mm reach is not on the short side of most L or XL frames. But who knows, maybe a larger size if enough demand

As for graphics, easy enough for you to change. A heat gun takes stickers off. I don't have plans for major graphic change at this time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    B, before we get to my bike we have to talk about these new colors! Bikes look fantastic!!!
    Email me. Time is ticking

mtbr member
    BB, look what I saw today in my local hobby store:

DSC02979 by ctbtyper, on Flickr
    too bad it's not the xjr 7. Still cool

Moderator Moderator
    Yep, I've ridden them, they work and work well. I'd take a naked one in a heartbeat if I had the $$

mtbr member
    We have more subtle colors than my wife's bike. It's a show bike. To get attention. It works.

Some peolple like wild, some people like mild. The bike rides the same either way

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    there will likely. E a carbon version sometime in the future. If not by me/tantrum then a licensee

None in the works yet. My next batch will be aluminum, with slight revisions over the first batch
    Will there be a frame with reach between the 430 and 470mm? Several of my frames are about 450-460 in reach and running a 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    Ditto. I would've been an early adopter for carbon, but obviously there are many reasons Brian went his direction. I bet the design gets purchased by a big company THEN goes carbon.
    I also want to point out that there can be serious reliability problems with carbon, especially delamination over time. There are plenty of broken carbon bikes, including some from seemingly not too violent crashes. And carbon's failure mode is more violent.

On top of that, did you see the article on how the dump the scraps, including resin, into the ocean??? They call it oceanfill instead of landfill. Pretty bad.

So a carbon frame may happen, but......things to think about

That's on top of the mold cost which means 3 yrs of production minimum to get your money back. IF you don't make any changes. I like to change stuff

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I also want to point out that there can be serious reliability problems with carbon, especially delamination over time. There are plenty of broken carbon bikes, including some from seemingly not too violent crashes. And carbon's failure mode is more violent.

On top of that, did you see the article on how the dump the scraps, including resin, into the ocean??? They call it oceanfill instead of landfill. Pretty bad.

So a carbon frame may happen, but......things to think about

That's on top of the mold cost which means 3 yrs of production minimum to get your money back. IF you don't make any changes. I like to change stuff
    So are you unofficially officially saying you won't be making a carbon Tantrum in the next few years?

mtbr member
    So are you unofficially officially saying you won't be making a carbon Tantrum in the next few years?
    No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that for me at this time, I don't have the money, time or inclination to make that a priority.

I feel that I need to make sure I refine my technology. That's my priority. Starting a bike company has taken an enormous amount of time that has detracted from what I should be doing, i.e. designing.

I have just begun to scratch the surface of this technology. I have other models and applications to develop as well as continue to evaluate and perfect the linkage itself.

And a thousand other things that go with starting and running a bike company. I need to improve cash flow so I can get a little help, for example

But aluminum gives me ultimate flexibility (pun by accident) to develop and change. And explore the latest material developments, which have been significant and overlooked in the wake of carbon. My frames are currently 6061, but there are a lot of promising options

More later

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that for me at this time, I don't have the money, time or inclination to make that a priority.

I feel that I need to make sure I refine my technology. That's my priority. Starting a bike company has taken an enormous amount of time that has detracted from what I should be doing, i.e. designing.

I have just begun to scratch the surface of this technology. I have other models and applications to develop as well as continue to evaluate and perfect the linkage itself.

And a thousand other things that go with starting and running a bike company. I need to improve cash flow so I can get a little help, for example

But aluminum gives me ultimate flexibility (pun by accident) to develop and change. And explore the latest material developments, which have been significant and overlooked in the wake of carbon. My frames are currently 6061, but there are a lot of promising options

More later
    Your openness and honesty is to be applauded. I hope.whomever buys the rights doesn't view this as naivety. I presume you have fantastic legal representation on your side. Best to you!

mtbr member
    So all of you who are getting the Topaz shock =---> DON'T forget to check the bladder pressure in the piggy back when setting up the shock! And if you struggle with pedal strikes, check again!

This. Just got a report form a customer that his came at 80 psi. i hdn' thought to check the first few, but i will now. Still, might not be a bad idea to check when you get the bike

mtbr member
    Your openness and honesty is to be applauded. I hope.whomever buys the rights doesn't view this as naivety. I presume you have fantastic legal representation on your side. Best to you!
    Thanks westin. I don't think anybody will view me as naive. Possibly eccentric. Maybe a little weird, depending on what side of the street you live on. I do have a reasonable track record, both in car racing and in the bike industry, with a lot of patent and IP experience.

I think I'm protected enough to give it a go. And really, part of my strategy is this full public disclosure. When the entire industry knows what your doing, it's kinda hard to say you didn't, or came up with it first. It can still be a minefield.......I think many just hope I'll go away and stop making noise.

mtbr member

And as much as you may disagree, marketing sells bikes more than actual performance or logic because marketing reaches the masses and more often than not the potential buyer who makes the final decision does so based on ego, needs vs wants and impulse. It's why overweight newbie riders have $8000 bikes. It's why expensive sports cars sell to balding unattractive lives-in-parents basement middle age drivers. Has nothing to do with the actual on-trail performance.
    You raise a lot of good points. I have to break them down a little. This first one is undeniable, but just doesn't apply as much to me/Tantrum right now. Sure, some serious buyers might be turned off by the name/colors/SS angle or whatever. But at the moment, that's fine. I'm selling every bike I can make to people that either 1) like it 2) can live with 3) will change it or 4) don't give a shit.

I actually think many of them like it. But mostly, they're buying it because they're tired of what's being offered. So, the mass market can wait. I'm not ready in any sense. I want serious riders on my bikes, talking about them here.

mtbr member

Hahaahahaha, this really is funny to me. I'm not a psychologist, but I play one on TV. Kidding. But I'm further away from being a business man. And I take complete, unfettered joy in that. A business man would hung me out to dry for the expenses I went thru to get these bikes done in a reasonable amount of time.

I have been told, "don't worry about it, all brands are late". I'm not even going to try to put a per frame cost on these first ones. Because that's not the point. What biz sense I DO have tells me that these customers will be my best advertising. These are knowledgeable, skilled and influential riders.

side note: the "stickers" won by vote of quite a few designs. True, the face is my doing.

the colors are, for the most part, customer choices. The Tantrum name was actually among thousands of choices, all of which had a larger percentage of negative reactions than Tantrum. Not exactly a focus group, but the name had a very high percentage of happy response and very low negative.

Oh, and I like it too. because it's in honor of fun and family life.

Aaannnyyywaaay. like somebody else said, you have to start somewhere. Pick a name and some stickers and some colors from my powdercoater and get on with it.

Nobody will buy it, license it or care if I can't make the bike. And I'm reasonably happy with the first shot.....lotsa time to improve

mtbr member
    Is this thread now about bike fashion? Does this seat make my butt look big?

mtbr member
    by the way westin, I'm not discounting anything you are saying or the points you're making. But there is a certain joy to being a wildman that does what he wants and sees if anyone else will. And, at least so far, not really having to answer to anybody. I really did start Tantrum so I could do what I wanted. Focus groups might be saying no. Or product mangers. Or competing suspension engineers. And I don't really care.

The kickstarter effort was as much validation as it was funding. Hand in hand, of course, but if I'd have sold 2 frames, this conversation would be quite different, no matter what the funding. These people,and I'll be forever grateful, are my founders. My launchers, my validators.

My proof that there is a demand and need for what I'm doing. This serves the purpose that 1) I can continue as a small brand. I already have sales equaling or exceeding a few well known brands. This takes all the pressure off of me in terms of licensing, etc. It will happen when it happens. They know my number.

2) this actually forces the issue. You might logically think that anybody would jump on it to get a leg up. But more often than not, the people that make decisions would be just as happy with status quo. The economy sucks, sales are down. What they REALLY need is a new standard, something everyone can make money on.

I plan on turning up the heat, even if I'm holding a bic lighter.

mtbr member
    Thanks to EU rules about recycling that apply to Airbus, there's some significant work going on in carbon recycling. They haven't managed to unwind anything really, but they cook out the epoxy. If it's chopped up first it can make fiber segments that can be used in injection molded parts. If it's not chopped it can make felt.
    Recycled carbon fiber: Its time has come : CompositesWorld

But I don't know if it makes it to Chinese factories. Probably not unless it's profitable, because otherwise the waste is pretty inert, not dangerous to bury.

Here's one way to turn in your frame.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ca...ycling-program
    From that link
    To begin to underwrite the effort of establishing a take back stream for carbon fiber, participating Specialized dealers will accept carbon frames from any brand that does not have a take back system in place and recycle them responsibly at no cost to you.

mtbr member
    Thanks to EU rules about recycling that apply to Airbus, there's some significant work going on in carbon recycling. They haven't managed to unwind anything really, but they cook out the epoxy. If it's chopped up first it can make fiber segments that can be used in injection molded parts. If it's not chopped it can make felt.
    Recycled carbon fiber: Its time has come : CompositesWorld

But I don't know if it makes it to Chinese factories. Probably not unless it's profitable, because otherwise the waste is pretty inert, not dangerous to bury.

Here's one way to turn in your frame.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ca...ycling-program
    From that link
    I was referring to an article about a high end chinese carbon frame factory that dumps scraps and resin into the ocean. They coined the term "ocean fill" Doesn't sound very inert.

mtbr member
    I was referring to an article about a high end chinese carbon frame factory that dumps scraps and resin into the ocean. They coined the term "ocean fill" Doesn't sound very inert.
    https://youtu.be/h2M_Z0f6ecE

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ugh so much yibber yabber. I just want people to get these bikes, start riding these bikes, and write posts about what they think about riding these bikes !

Well what I really want is to get my bike so I can ride it and make up my own mind, but I think I'm last on the list

WillWorkForTrail
    Possibly eccentric. Maybe a little weird, depending on what side of the street you live on.
    These are properties I look for in people when trying to determine whether or not I can trust them. If no one describes you as "a little weird" I just about can't give you the benefit of the doubt the first time I meet you, which is sort of what I try to do with everyone unless there's a reason to do otherwise. But there you have it. You're alright by me, which is an endorsement from a guy who most people think is more than a little weird. Obsessed with playing bass, riding bikes, and building trails in the woods. Sheesh...

CTB
    mtbr member
    Possibly eccentric. Maybe a little weird, depending on what side of the street you live on. I do have a reasonable track record, both in car racing and in the bike industry, with a lot of patent and IP experience.
    This was the final bit that pushed me to being a backer.

nothing to see here
    Cheers to those who don't conform to expectations
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    These are properties I look for in people when trying to determine whether or not I can trust them. If no one describes you as "a little weird" I just about can't give you the benefit of the doubt the first time I meet you, which is sort of what I try to do with everyone unless there's a reason to do otherwise. But there you have it. You're alright by me, which is an endorsement from a guy who most people think is more than a little weird. Obsessed with playing bass, riding bikes, and building trails in the woods. Sheesh...
    people are strange....when you're a stranger....

mtbr member
    This was the final bit that pushed me to being a backer.
    ha, hopefully you mean both...

Tantrumcycles #1
    Amen!

www.cyco.no

mtbr member
    I yam what I yam

mtbr member
    In OTHER news, check out some Interbike love:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...-travel-bikes/

mtbr member
    BB can you tell us anything about your appearance on Adventure Capitalists?

mtbr member
    BB can you tell us anything about your appearance on Adventure Capitalists?
    I think it's ok to say I am on the show, premiere episode, Tues Oct 10, CNBC at 10pm ET/PT (subject to change). Ha, straight form their press release.

They called me after seeing the success of the Kickstarter effort, which actually was pretty big for a mountain bike effort. It didn't hurt that one of the producers was a mountain biker, so he got it. It was filmed in Moab, on the Slickrock trail. If you remember the first pic I posted of Redrum, that was the location.

I'll do a press release soon about it, but it will also be very limited in what I can say. Oh, and I'm encouraged by the show to do a live twitter thing, so you can hear me cringe at the editing, I think.

Tantrumcycles #1
    I think it's ok to say I am on the show, premiere episode, Tues Oct 10, CNBC at 10pm ET/PT (subject to change). Ha, straight form their press release.

They called me after seeing the success of the Kickstarter effort, which actually was pretty big for a mountain bike effort. It didn't hurt that one of the producers was a mountain biker, so he got it. It was filmed in Moab, on the Slickrock trail. If you remember the first pic I posted of Redrum, that was the location.

I'll do a press release soon about it, but it will also be very limited in what I can say. Oh, and I'm encouraged by the show to do a live twitter thing, so you can hear me cringe at the editing, I think.
    Looking forward to see that! Can someone please try to tape it and share at least the Brian sequence here or on Tantrumcycles Facebook page! I only have web TV and not sure we can watch that show online from Norway..

www.cyco.no

EAT MORE GRIME
    I have been pounding a 21 mile big root and rock and chunder loop, with 4 miles of pavement mixed in there, an PR'ing the ever living s**t out of it on my hardtail Giant XTC with no dropper and a 100mm fork..

I cannot wait to see what slamming a Tantrum Meltdown w/DVO goodies against this loop will produce.

friggin dying waiting...[so is my taint!]

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looking forward to see that! Can someone please try to tape it and share at least the Brian sequence here or on Tantrumcycles Facebook page! I only have web TV and not sure we can watch that show online from Norway..

Proxy to USA, and the episodes will be posted on the CNBC website but not sure what the delay will be.

Also their facebook page has some teaser videos featuring Brian.

Tantrumcycles #1
    Proxy to USA, and the episodes will be posted on the CNBC website but not sure what the delay will be.

Also their facebook page has some teaser videos featuring Brian.
    And the Link????????? ;-)

www.cyco.no

EAT MORE GRIME

mtbr member
    Looks like some fun! Also seems like you are the only one who got your company name into the TV commercial.

Are you ready to be mobbed online? Shark Tank products get their websites crashed the day of broadcast by people investigating their product, wanting to buy it. Probably muted by comparison since it's not so big a show but still...

mtbr member
    I have been pounding a 21 mile big root and rock and chunder loop, with 4 miles of pavement mixed in there, an PR'ing the ever living s**t out of it on my hardtail Giant XTC with no dropper and a 100mm fork..

I cannot wait to see what slamming a Tantrum Meltdown w/DVO goodies against this loop will produce.

friggin dying waiting...[so is my taint!]
    I shouldn't say this in public, because it'll turn out not to be true, but....your hammered lizard with red rockers...a one of a kind if there ever was one, is due out of powder next Wed. i will bust my ass to ship by fri. IF I can't make it, Monday for sure and it's probably 2-3 days to you. Get Ready!!!! Got parts????

mtbr member
    That's cool. I hadn't seen that.

believe me, I'm cringing at the potential editing. As I watch the promo, "why aren't my glasses on?" Oh ya, because they were tinted..they wanted my eyes.

There may be some videos of me riding in running shoes. Because once they filmed me in running shoes, you have to go with whatever you had on for the full shoot. A little insider, pro acting stuff for ya there.

For the record, I always ride clipped in, which made riding slickrock in running shoes and clipless pedals...more interesting than it needed to be. The things we do for our craft

mtbr member
    Looks like some fun! Also seems like you are the only one who got your company name into the TV commercial.

Are you ready to be mobbed online? Shark Tank products get their websites crashed the day of broadcast by people investigating their product, wanting to buy it. Probably muted by comparison since it's not so big a show but still...
    Not ready. In so many ways. But hey, I have DAYS to get ready, right???

I kinda got top billing on that, didn't I??

EAT MORE GRIME
    I shouldn't say this in public, because it'll turn out not to be true, but....your hammered lizard with red rockers...a one of a kind if there ever was one, is due out of powder next Wed. i will bust my ass to ship by fri. IF I can't make it, Monday for sure and it's probably 2-3 days to you. Get Ready!!!! Got parts????

magura bleed kit (first rodeo with magura)
    red odi clamps/black grips
    red ano water bottle cage
    garmin mount
    new spuds
    32 oz o-seal
    tires on order (will want to try multiple tires)
    the rest of it is built to workingman level with twin DVO upgrades
    so I guess I am ready

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Not ready. In so many ways. But hey, I have DAYS to get ready, right???

I kinda got top billing on that, didn't I??
    What web hosting are you using? Do they have a load based cloud plan?

mtbr member
    magura bleed kit (first rodeo with magura)
    red odi clamps/black grips
    red ano water bottle cage
    garmin mount
    new spuds
    32 oz o-seal
    tires on order (will want to try multiple tires)
    the rest of it is built to workingman level with twin DVO upgrades
    so I guess I am ready
    haha, I forgot I'm building you the whole bike......i have parts.

mtbr member
    What web hosting are you using? Do they have a load based cloud plan?

Godaddy. A who based what now?? It's their most basic site. Template driven. Hasn't been updated in a year. You know, typical me markting

WillWorkForTrail
    Godaddy. A who based what now?? It's their most basic site. Template driven. Hasn't been updated in a year. You know, typical me markting
    EH. Trust me on this. Call Godaddy and tell them your product is going to be featured on the premier of a TV show, and do two things: A) Ask them if THEY think you need to change anything to handle a potential traffic surge, a la Shark Tank effect. Tell them it's likely to just be a one time surge, but it could be heavy. Take their advice on what to do. B) If they say nah, it should be fine, make them promise not to disable your account IF the surge is so big it brings the server you're on down, because you're on a shared server - meaning it's one machine that has anywhere from 100 to 1000 websites on it.

Remember, when I give you this advice, that I used to run North American customer service for a company that owned 3 of the top 20 web hosting companies in the world.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    That's tricky as you are not guaranteed to need it. However, if the Shark Tank effect happens, even fractionally, your site may crash, GoDaddy's basic plan isn't the most robust of plans.

What cloud load based does is give you a virtual web farm. As the load increases more servers and computing power will be added to the farm or pulled out of the farm as load drops to handle fluctuations without the site crashing or running too much needless compute. This will be more expensive than the plan you are on but you only pay for the resources you use.

Since you are on GoDaddy you are probably stuck with them as they technically own your domain name I believe. Regardless, take the advice above explain the situation and see what they suggest.

CTB
    mtbr member

EAT MORE GRIME
    ^BB owns the domain name as the registrant.

GoDaddy is the the registrar, but BB controls that name.

A domain name registrant is the person or organization who has registered the domain name.

In order to do so, the domain name registrant will usually apply online to a domain registrar or one of their resellers.

The domain name registrant is bound by the terms and conditions of the registrar with which it registers its domain name, for instance adhering to a certain code of conduct or indemnifying the registrar and registry against any legal or civil action taken as a result of use of the domain name.

Domain name registrants have certain responsibilities that are incorporated into these terms and conditions like payment of registration fees and submission and timely update of accurate data.

In addition to registering the domain name, domain name registrants also need to have their domain names listed on name servers in order for that domain name to be reachable on the Internet. A domain name registrant is responsible for procuring or hosting his or her own name server if the registrar does not offer this service or he or she has opted out of the registrar's service.

In some cases, a person or organization who does not wish to have their information listed in WHOIS may contract with a proxy service provider to register domain names on their behalf. In this case, the service provider is the domain name registrant, not the end customer.

Registrars are organizations accredited by ICANN and certified by the registries to sell domain names. They are bound by the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) with ICANN, and by their agreements with the registries. The RAA sets out responsibilities for the registrar including maintenance of WHOIS data, submission of data to registries, facilitating public WHOIS queries, ensuring domain name registrants details are escrowed, and complying with RAA conditions relating to the conclusion of the domain name registration period.

Tantrumcycles #1
    That's cool. I hadn't seen that.

believe me, I'm cringing at the potential editing. As I watch the promo, "why aren't my glasses on?" Oh ya, because they were tinted..they wanted my eyes.

There may be some videos of me riding in running shoes. Because once they filmed me in running shoes, you have to go with whatever you had on for the full shoot. A little insider, pro acting stuff for ya there.

For the record, I always ride clipped in, which made riding slickrock in running shoes and clipless pedals...more interesting than it needed to be. The things we do for our craft
    Hahaha. You could have said "Missing link is so effective that shoe-pedal interface is of no importance!"
    Watching the preview a few times makes it hard to not get optimistic about the future of Tantrumcycles. Many other interesting and fun ideas around but...
    Sure I'm biased diehard mtbiker. But I have also watched a decent bunch of investor pitching shows back when I had time to watch tv!

www.cyco.no

mtbr member
    EH. Trust me on this. Call Godaddy and tell them your product is going to be featured on the premier of a TV show, and do two things: A) Ask them if THEY think you need to change anything to handle a potential traffic surge, a la Shark Tank effect. Tell them it's likely to just be a one time surge, but it could be heavy. Take their advice on what to do. B) If they say nah, it should be fine, make them promise not to disable your account IF the surge is so big it brings the server you're on down, because you're on a shared server - meaning it's one machine that has anywhere from 100 to 1000 websites on it.

Remember, when I give you this advice, that I used to run North American customer service for a company that owned 3 of the top 20 web hosting companies in the world.
    I trust you. I didn't even really think of this. My wife claims the IT guy for her company is a genius, so I'm gonna have him look into everything. If we have to change the hosting, fine. About time for a new website anyway. And the new provisional patent I need to file. a lot of stuff to do.

mtbr member
    That's tricky as you are not guaranteed to need it. However, if the Shark Tank effect happens, even fractionally, your site may crash, GoDaddy's basic plan isn't the most robust of plans.

I think I'm gonna need it.

mtbr member
    ^BB owns the domain name as the registrant.

GoDaddy is the the registrar, but BB controls that name.

A domain name registrant is the person or organization who has registered the domain name.
    Right. I own the domain. I just bough a godaddy package for hosting and website building. Because they have easy to use and modify templates to build the site and it was a nice all in one stop. I can move my domain anywhere at anytime....as long as I have something to move it to.

mtbr member
    Hahaha. You could have said "Missing link is so effective that shoe-pedal interface is of no importance!"
    Watching the preview a few times makes it hard to not get optimistic about the future of Tantrumcycles. Many other interesting and fun ideas around but...
    Sure I'm biased diehard mtbiker. But I have also watched a decent bunch of investor pitching shows back when I had time to watch tv!

I anticipate great grief from the illuminati over wearing running shoes with clipless pedals....

Tantrumcycles #1
    I anticipate great grief from the illuminati over wearing running shoes with clipless pedals....
    How perplext they shall stand as they slowly realiz how it all was laced in to the ingenious master plan of deception....

www.cyco.no

mtbr member
    How perplext they shall stand as they slowly realiz how it all was laced in to the ingenious master plan of deception....

www.cyco.no
    As long as they edit out all the times my foot slipped.....

Hey everyone, sorry, if it looks like I'm beating up on the andre guy. I have to admit, it's just a little fun. I want to back him all the way up.

on another note, a couple of canadians, who apparently don't hang out here, are giving me some mini ride reviews. I'll see if I can get them to share here, but here's a couple snippets:
    from DL
    "I have 3 rides climbing and 3 - 4000 vertical foot runs at Kicking Horse bike park which is quite rough and I was having a blast the whole time."

"she climbs better than by Tallboy LT and descends better than my downhill bike" "it was really good except that I bottomed it out coming up short on a long table top/small double lip at the Kicking Horse bike park which is more than most riders would ever subject it to. The rest of the day it was perfect landing jumps."

Note: this was at 210 psi, still room for one more volume band, which I recommend for heavy jump use. He since upped he resi can pressure

here's some from AG : " When I let it go and get up to speed it feels fantastic""The rear end feels very plush and smooth. I was a little worried that the suspension would stiffen up while pedalling on a descent, but it felt like my rear tire was glued to the ground when I put the power in on the descent and the geometry behaved as I hoped it would (didn't steepen).

Yesterday we rode a steep-ish loamer and then a trail called Cambodia that has some super fun rock faces and some super gnarly rock faces. We took our sweet time though and ended up chasing the last bit of day light on our way out."

mtbr member
    I can't believe your bike has 4,000% antisquat. aliens.

mtbr member
    I can't believe your bike has 4,000% antisquat. aliens.
    that's a FACT!!! Somewhere between 4 and 4,000%. More or less. Mas o menos. Give or take.

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Brian/Gunnar or anyone else: how is the chain clearance past the rear tire? Could I get away with a non boost crankset?

mtbr member
    Brian/Gunnar or anyone else: how is the chain clearance past the rear tire? Could I get away with a non boost crankset?
    Tire to chain shouldn't be a big deal. The tire remains centered. the boost cassette and chain ring move outboard 3 mm. So if you use a non boost chainring, it still would have better tire clearance than if you ran non boost dropouts, because then the cassette would be 3 mm inboard. but even with non boost fr and rear, plenty of clearance.

BTW, the cranks are the same for boost and non boost, just the offset in the chainring is 3 mm more outboard.

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Tire to chain shouldn't be a big deal. The tire remains centered. the boost cassette and chain ring move outboard 3 mm. So if you use a non boost chainring, it still would have better tire clearance than if you ran non boost dropouts, because then the cassette would be 3 mm inboard. but even with non boost fr and rear, plenty of clearance.

BTW, the cranks are the same for boost and non boost, just the offset in the chainring is 3 mm more outboard.
    Great! Thanks Brian!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So, I just spent countless hours reading this thread.

I know Tantrum won't officially be at Outerbike but what's the possibility of a small Tantrum being in Moab during Outerbike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruinane View Post
    So, I just spent countless hours reading this thread.

I know Tantrum won't officially be at Outerbike but what's the possibility of a small Tantrum being in Moab during Outerbike?
    Hi Ruinane. Sorry, just can't happen this year. We won't make it and there are no size S even out there yet, all deliveries so far being M and L.

I THINK a couple M's might be out there, but not sure.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Dang. Worth a shot.

Tantrumcycles #1
    Anyone who is considered a carbon frame should read this Before you say anything negative about ANY brand who choose to not use Carbon!
    https://www.polebicycles.com/why-are...carbon-frames/

Polebicycles was also the final reason I did chose to go up an whole inche in Reach measure on my Meltdown 79er. So take a look at there geometry ideology to before you choose to size down if you have any hesitations..
    (BUT you HAVE to read the whooole article above first!!! ;-) )

www.cyco.no

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anyone who is considered a carbon frame should read this Before you say anything negative about ANY brand who choose to not use Carbon!

Polebicycles was also the final reason I did chose to go up an whole inche in Reach measure on my Meltdown 79er. So take a look at there geometry ideology to before you choose to size down if you have any hesitations..

I glanced through the article and the 1st thing that struck me is well, we aren't supposed to talk politics on this website so I'll leave that alone.
    2nd thing is looking at the geometry of several bikes, along with the added reach are chain stays that are about 25mm's longer than most other bikes on the market. I've never ridden these bikes, it would be intersting to see how the whole package comes together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

First off it was a self promoting article. If you think anything made in China follows strict Environmental friendly protocols you're a fool.

They have no problem poisoning people to make a buck, you think they give two shits about the Environment?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruinane View Post
    Dang. Worth a shot.
    I know. I'm gonna be saying "sorry" a lot until I get the next batch of bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    I glanced through the article and the 1st thing that struck me is well, we aren't supposed to talk politics on this website so I'll leave that alone.
    2nd thing is looking at the geometry of several bikes, along with the added reach are chain stays that are about 25mm's longer than most other bikes on the market. I've never ridden these bikes, it would be intersting to see how the whole package comes together.
    Thank you for not talking politics. I start deleting social media contacts that start doing that. I come here for FUN.

Speaking of fun, I think an overt focus on certain aspects of geometry are over rated. Chain stay length being one of the main culprits. on the original bikes I was demo-ing, the Cs length on the 27.5 Meltdown was 445. the 29er Outburst was 452

The bikes handled sweet and didn't feel cumbersome at all (any dissenters among demo riders?). On one prototype (the original Shinedown 160 mm mixed wheel), it was 474, for various mixed parts reasons. It handled fantastic.

I was reluctant to shorten the CS to 428 for the production Meltdown. Maybe reluctant isn't the right word. Unsure. in reality, I did it so I could sell bikes, without knowing the overall handling effect. but, since I was also going with longer reach, it made sense to keep the WB short-ish. Because I don't like a bike that you have to "bend" around tight switchbacks. Although a longer bike will always be more stable in a straight line at high speed. that's just not my priority in bike handling. I like corners.

soooo, ranging from 474 to 428mm CS length, what's my biggest impression???? Not much, really. The new bikes handle great. The old bikes handle great. What can I say???

Sick bicycles is also making super long bikes, I believe. Some people love them, just like Pole. There's room for all of it.

mtbr member
    soooo, ranging from 474 to 428mm CS length, what's my biggest impression???? Not much, really. The new bikes handle great. The old bikes handle great. What can I say???
    Trails vary so much and so do the bikes that work best on them. If you are riding super tight techy steep trails a long bike can be a real drag and short CS are nice. OTOH if you are riding wide straighter high speed trails a long WB could be exactly what you want.

I get kind of frustrated that the MTB community can't multi-task enough to accept there is not one solution for all trails/regions/people. There always seems to be one "ideal" geo or idea of what is the perfect bike at anyone time and all [most] bike companies converge on that ideal despite the reality that the "ideal" bike of the moment isn't actually ideal in a bunch of situations.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    First off it was a self promoting article. If you think anything made in China follows strict Environmental friendly protocols you're a fool.

They have no problem poisoning people to make a buck, you think they give two shits about the Environment?
    It is a self promoting article...sort of like when beer companies publicize that they're canning water for relief efforts.....but. I don't care about that. but I have a tendency to believe the "ocean fill" part of it would have swayed them. I mean, I'm a iphone owning, tire burning petrol head, but that part really disgusted me.

I've said for years that our whole country just outsource our pollution to china. And to a lesser extent, taiwan, because they have nowhere near the environmental regs we do. And all of this came in to play when deciding where to have my bikes made. including where I would need to travel to in order to interface with my factory.

My bikes are made in taiwan, in probably some of the best working conditions for a bike factory. Not that my factory is special, but it's not a bad place to work. i like that. At least my bikes are made in not a bad place to work. The workers I met on the floor seemed happy and enthusiastic about their jobs. And where they lived.

BTW, this is NOT politics. It's production talk and the things that go into it.

But I have a "free tibet" T-shirt I got at a Dalia Lama "concert". I don't even put that in my suitcase going to taiwan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I get kind of frustrated that the MTB community can't multi-task enough to accept there is not one solution for all trails/regions/people. There always seems to be one "ideal" geo or idea of what is the perfect bike at anyone time and all [most] bike companies converge on that ideal despite the reality that the "ideal" bike of the moment isn't actually ideal in a bunch of situations.
    hmmm, almost sounds like suspension kinematics........

it does make it a little extra difficult when trying to make a bike for sale. I really felt I had to make the CS fashionably short, or cripple my sales. Even though, I joked to a journalist that i could just change the CS length on paper and probably 3 people would ever care. (I really did shorten them in metal, too)

And then there's the brands with the carbon molds that they need to amortize for 3 yrs of production.....another reason for my modular dropout and suspension approach. I can change quick and try anything.

And this...they're all fun. If I had to ride my '93 super v with 1" of headshock travel, canti brakes and 73 degree HT angle, like I did in my first DH race, the Kamakazi, it would be a blast My face hurt from smiling for at least a day afterward.

EAT MORE GRIME

mtbr member
    I hope the powdercoater's on time. I'll give them my now customary "day before" call tomorrow, you know, like a reminder of what they promised.

b

EAT MORE GRIME
    no worries ! trying to get a chuckle

mtbr member
    no worries ! trying to get a chuckle
    as long as you have enough coffee, cigs, spam, oreos and thunderbird to hold on....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I understand the Shining frames will be last on the list but you indicated the dropouts haven't been machined yet. I assume these will be done locally and JIT for now (hopefully not to be delivered from Taiwan). Any guess on delivery time frame for these frames ?

Despite what I said earlier I'm still interested in a non-boost version although I'm not adamant about it. If I have another small request should I email it to you now or should I wait until we get closer to delivery ? (you will contact me?)
    Last edited by Preston67; 10-02-2017 at 01:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Be interested to hear Brianís feedback on this article
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ar...ampaign=buffer

EAT MORE GRIME
    ...the article is sound, but doesn't cover what the Tantrum linkage does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    I understand the Shining frames will be last on the list but you indicated the dropouts haven't been machined yet. I assume these will be done locally and JIT for now (hopefully not to be delivered from Taiwan). Any guess on delivery time frame for these frames ?

Despite what I said earlier I'm still interested in a non-boost version although I'm not adamant about it. If I have another small request should I email it to you now or should I wait until we get closer to delivery ? (you will contact me?)
    I am headed back over to Taiwan in 2 weeks. I need to address a number of qc issues. Like all of the undersized bushings, but there also a few parts machined incorrectly. While I have enough to fulfill current orders, I don't have enough to build all the frames I have.

Correcting these issues has become a prioirity over options at this point, although I do hop to come back from Taiwan with some dropouts....

As for further requests, if it's something that might require lead time, let me know now....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rad3144 View Post
    Be interested to hear Brianís feedback on this article
    The ultimate guide to mountain bike rear suspension systems - BikeRadar

It's pretty straightforward and I like how he keeps saying things like "there is no one answer". Also, he showed a Brake Therapy floating brake!!

For conventional suspension (every other bike), it's pretty accurate. One thing everybody seems to overlook is that damping, unlike springing, is velocity sensitive, NOT position. That means that, no matter where the shock is in it's stroke, the damping will be the same for a given shaft speed. So while he correctly mentions that the spring force needs to be overlaid on the LR to get a wheelforce, the overlayment of damping forces is more complicated as it changes with shaft speed and therefore different types of compression activity.

I claim (as in race cars) to use this to my advantage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    As I was reading it I kept thinking, he doesnít know about the missing link

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So I've read all 10 pages of this thread since last night. I'll just say that I ride my bike a lot. I was going to buy a long travel 29er next year, Specialized Enduro 29er. Well now that plan has changed. Bring on the Shining!!!!!!!!!!! All I can say is wow! A real technological advancement in the world of mountain bike suspension. Brian, I'll send you an e-mail about this at your company e-mail address. I know I'll have to wait, but that's ok. No hurry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rad3144 View Post
    As I was reading it I kept thinking, he doesnít know about the missing link

He probably knows about it, but doesn't "know" about it lik,e he does conventional suspension. I'm guessing he widely didn't want to stick his neck out. people can get a little crazy, y'know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiva View Post
    So I've read all 10 pages of this thread since last night. I'll just say that I ride my bike a lot. I was going to buy a long travel 29er next year, Specialized Enduro 29er. Well now that plan has changed. Bring on the Shining!!!!!!!!!!! All I can say is wow! A real technological advancement in the world of mountain bike suspension. Brian, I'll send you an e-mail about this at your company e-mail address. I know I'll have to wait, but that's ok. No hurry.
    Sorry you had to endure that....I couldn't. Thanks for the good words. I'll look for your email

mtbr member
    This is backer #3, Alex Gibbs. I don't think he hangs out here. Lives in BC. one or 2 of these are from the wild kingdom, the big rock drop is Whistler. He's gettin out there and riding. Maddy Armstrong Photos

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-alex-gibb-jump.jpgNew innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-alex-gibb-roots-s.jpgNew innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-alex-gibbs-whistler.jpg

mtbr member
    Hell yes!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Looks good.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

CTB
    mtbr member
    You're wearing sneakers with clipless pedals??? Oh my God, the horror! There, now at least the first person to say that was a backer who was kidding and not some internet troll.

Looks good, I'm looking forward to the program airing. Gotta set my DVR!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Good job!

Looking forward to watching this episode. Congrats!!

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cool! Looking forward to see what happens!

Cycologist
    I'll be tuning in!

Oh, and if my GoDaddy website crashes, I'll know who to blame!

mtbr member
    I'll be tuning in!

Oh, and if my GoDaddy website crashes, I'll know who to blame!
    somebody please tell me Wix's cloud based hosting can handle it. New site due any day

mtbr member
    You're wearing sneakers with clipless pedals??? Oh my God, the horror! There, now at least the first person to say that was a backer who was kidding and not some internet troll.

Looks good, I'm looking forward to the program airing. Gotta set my DVR!
    hokas baby!!! cushiest shoes my battered old feet can buy

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    somebody please tell me Wix's cloud based hosting can handle it. New site due any day
    In theory it should. It all depends on how much compute you have and what the maximum capacity of your plan is.

mtbr member
    just picked these up. You know who you are.New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-lizards.jpg

WillWorkForTrail
    Wix? I thought they made oil filters....

mtbr member
    Wix? I thought they made oil filters....
    Different Wix Cloud. that Wix cloud is when the o-ring on the oil filter splits and all the oil squirts out on the your headers and the engine blows up. True story.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wix is a huge provider. As long as you are paying for Unlimited hosting ($14/mo currently) you should have plenty of bandwidth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finnlander View Post
    Wix is a huge provider. As long as you are paying for Unlimited hosting ($14/mo currently) you should have plenty of bandwidth.
    I know. At that time, they were providing filters to FRAM, which was the brand in use. While I didn't see the hosting spec on the filter itself, it was apparent that the o-ring bandwidth was too small for the oil pressure. I crack me up.

I am putting my faith in the new, improved, digital Wix of the future.

mtbr member
    just picked these up. You know who you are.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lizards.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	1161060
    The finish on those is amazing. Now I gotta be all creepy stalker on the guy up in Whistler that has one of these bikes (not in that color, but thats ok) so I can see one in person.

WillWorkForTrail
    Different Wix Cloud. that Wix cloud is when the o-ring on the oil filter splits and all the oil squirts out on the your headers and the engine blows up. True story.
    Anecdotally, I've seen a WIX filter come off of a diesel sled puller with the sides bulged out on it. I still don't know what to make of that, since I thought these oil systems used a high pressure bypass. You'll never make me skeptical telling me a story about oil filter foul ups. I was changing the oil on a tractor one time, removed the old filter, checked the gasket seat on the oil filter plate, looked at the new filter to make sure there was a gasket there, put some oil on it/in it, screwed it on and finished the oil change. Started the engine to make sure I had everything right, and oil sprays everywhere out of the base of the filter plate....the filter came with *two* gaskets on it......when tightened, the offset each other, and left a nice gap for the oil to spray through.

Tantrumcycles #1
    Ops... A friend up the street did the same on his old Toyota LC. And he also forgot to check for leaks before driving off. Luckily he noticed it and stopped before the engine got damaged..

www.cyco.no

mtbr member
    Ops... A friend up the street did the same on his old Toyota LC. And he also forgot to check for leaks before driving off. Luckily he noticed it and stopped before the engine got damaged..

Those old Landcruisers took like 7 quarts or something and so you could lose quite a bit of oil and still have enough in the case to keep it going. I'm not even sure that it's possible to damage one of those old Toyota straight sixes.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Those old Landcruisers took like 7 quarts or something and so you could lose quite a bit of oil and still have enough in the case to keep it going. I'm not even sure that it's possible to damage one of those old Toyota straight sixes.
    Yea it is and it doesn't take losing too much oil. Ask me how I know.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Is it possible now to buy a Tantrum? Or is there a waiting list for the next production run?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Is it possible now to buy a Tantrum? Or is there a waiting list for the next production run?
    hi alex. the first batch are pretty much gone, although the odd blem, show or demo bike might pop up. The next batch is months away. I'm taking an ever growing waiting list and trying to figure out how much I can expand this next production run. Because I think when the show airs...I'll need more.

Email me at bb @ ourwebsite

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

What backer numbers are being shipped

Hey Brian,
    Could you update us on where you are with shipping the current batch; what backer numbers are being shipped?

mtbr member
    Will there be a frame with reach between the 430 and 470mm? Several of my frames are about 450-460 in reach and running a 50mm stem.
    I'm interested in this too. At 6" tall I think the 470mm reach may be too much for me but maybe the 435 of the medium Outburst could work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c-dale99 View Post
    Hey Brian,
    Could you update us on where you are with shipping the current batch; what backer numbers are being shipped?
    as of this Large Lizard being shipped to Germany today, I have delivered 13 frames. Out of those 13, 4 of them were pre-kickstarter orders. So I am up to backer #9 on the official backer list. I hope to get 5 more delivered this week, up to backer 16 -18.

Note, not all backers ordered frames. A couple just gave me a dollar, thank you. and a couple t-shirt sales as well. So if you're backer #30, that's actually frame #24.New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-large-lizard.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I'm interested in this too. At 6" tall I think the 470mm reach may be too much for me but maybe the 435 of the medium Outburst could work.
    the M is 440.

mtbr member
    as of this Large Lizard being shipped to Germany today, I have delivered 13 frames. Out of those 13, 4 of them were pre-kickstarter orders. So I am up to backer #9 on the official backer list. I hope to get 5 more delivered this week, up to backer 16 -18.

Note, not all backers ordered frames. A couple just gave me a dollar, thank you. and a couple t-shirt sales as well. So if you're backer #30, that's actually frame #24.
    So 9+5=(16-18)+30-4=24.
    I don't understand this at all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashbarg View Post
    So 9+5=(16-18)+30-4=24.
    remember, it's extaterrestial math. Or string theory. And several backers ordered 2 frames....

oh, and th ewebsite is down for the moment, waiting for it's transfer to wix and the CLOUD and all good things from an interconnected world from which there is no escape......oh, sorry, i'll go back to my cave. or planet. or black hole sun

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashbarg View Post
    So 9+5=(16-18)+30-4=24.
    By the end of this week, he hopes to have delivered 14 bikes to official backers that ordered bikes. Whatever your number is as a backer, some of those ahead of you may not have actually ordered bikes, so you are further up in the line to get your bike than it may appear.

Or that's how I understand it.

EAT MORE GRIME
    . - - - - . . . . -

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast