New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts... - Page 24- Mtbr.com
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 2,301 to 2,336 of 2336
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Hey Folks,

Subscribed....the for the education!

Thanks, in advance.....

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey Brian, figured Iíd post here, as you said your contact form on your website is broken. Just wondering if all the size L frames in the second batch are spoken for, or if youíre taking deposits for a third batch.

mtbr member
    @c-dale99 Thanks so much for the review.

For sure you need the internal vol spacer. In fact, almost all of the bikes sold on KS need that spacer for aggressive jumps and drops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtheheathen View Post
    Hey Brian, figured Iíd post here, as you said your contact form on your website is broken. Just wondering if all the size L frames in the second batch are spoken for, or if youíre taking deposits for a third batch.
    Hi Max. I stopped taking deposits a long time ago. Because I didn't want the pressure of hanging on to everyone's money while working on the next batch. Pretty soon, I will have a better idea of a firm delivery date and will open up for orders.

mtbr member
    In the meantime, I'm in Sedona at the MTB fest, if anyone is local

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    March is demo time in the SE and the past two weekends I've been on the Meltdown's rivals in the "enduro" segment from Transition, Norco, and Rocky Mountain. A M Meltdown has been my main ride since Dec '17 so we're well acquainted at this point.

2 weekends ago I rode a L Patrol on the local haunt just a short pedal from the house. Instantly felt at home pedaling around the parking lot. Descending felt nice and familiar but thought it was a little rougher and more out of control through the fast and rough sections. Climbing just felt mushy compared to the shorter travel bikes I had demoed earlier in the day and the Meltdown. This one really highlighted the drawbacks of a 160mm travel bike with a more traditional linkage design. For the riding I do, with a heavy priority for the downs, I would have been fine on a Patrol if I didn't know the Meltdown existed. But the Meltdown gets me more cake in my stomach and on the plate, so why wouldn't you?

Rode a L 29" Range the following weekend on the same local trails. What a nasty boatbike. I was way too stretched out and this particular demo bike needed some TLC. I couldn't even lock the front wheel in loose dirt on level ground which made for some butt puckering moments. Rear suspension seemed weirdly vague like there was nothing to press into but I definitely wouldn't have called it supple either. It just didn't seem to have any redeeming qualities. I know it's not fair considering I'd have sized down and there were definitely some maintenance issues, but I do know for certain a 29" Range is not for me.

This Sunday, a couple buddies and I drove up to Racoon Mountain outside Chattanooga and I got to do a single descent on a L Slayer down High Voltage. Rear suspension seemed a little stiff in the parking lot, but I was assured that it was correct for my weight. Definitely a sweet bike. Tons of grip, more than I'm used to, but it had more tire width, in a stickier compound, and a more aggressive tread than I run day to day on the Meltdown. I definitely noticed the Slayer's rear suspension staying more active under braking. The trail I rode on is mostly down but definitely has some pedally sections. The Slayer didn't have any trouble with these sections and it really seemed almost sprightly when you're mashing. It does a great job of hiding the amount of travel it has, but it definitely doesn't have the grip under power of the Meltdown. I had a blast on the Slayer, but the trails there are so good you'd have fun on anything. Many whoops were exlaimed on both bikes.

Admittedly,the Slayer has been in my thoughts a bit, but I'm going to try a bit more tire and a bit more can pressure in the Meltdown and see where that gets me. I'm more of a set it and forget it type guy, so I've never even tried a setup on the Meltdown similar to what I rode on the Slayer.

Anyways, my Meltdown is still going strong and I've still got zero complaints.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bzflag View Post
    March is demo time in the SE and the past two weekends I've been on the Meltdown's rivals in the "enduro" segment from Transition, Norco, and Rocky Mountain. A M Meltdown has been my main ride since Dec '17 so we're well acquainted at this point.

2 weekends ago I rode a L Patrol on the local haunt just a short pedal from the house. Instantly felt at home pedaling around the parking lot. Descending felt nice and familiar but thought it was a little rougher and more out of control through the fast and rough sections. Climbing just felt mushy compared to the shorter travel bikes I had demoed earlier in the day and the Meltdown. This one really highlighted the drawbacks of a 160mm travel bike with a more traditional linkage design. For the riding I do, with a heavy priority for the downs, I would have been fine on a Patrol if I didn't know the Meltdown existed. But the Meltdown gets me more cake in my stomach and on the plate, so why wouldn't you?

Rode a L 29" Range the following weekend on the same local trails. What a nasty boatbike. I was way too stretched out and this particular demo bike needed some TLC. I couldn't even lock the front wheel in loose dirt on level ground which made for some butt puckering moments. Rear suspension seemed weirdly vague like there was nothing to press into but I definitely wouldn't have called it supple either. It just didn't seem to have any redeeming qualities. I know it's not fair considering I'd have sized down and there were definitely some maintenance issues, but I do know for certain a 29" Range is not for me.

This Sunday, a couple buddies and I drove up to Racoon Mountain outside Chattanooga and I got to do a single descent on a L Slayer down High Voltage. Rear suspension seemed a little stiff in the parking lot, but I was assured that it was correct for my weight. Definitely a sweet bike. Tons of grip, more than I'm used to, but it had more tire width, in a stickier compound, and a more aggressive tread than I run day to day on the Meltdown. I definitely noticed the Slayer's rear suspension staying more active under braking. The trail I rode on is mostly down but definitely has some pedally sections. The Slayer didn't have any trouble with these sections and it really seemed almost sprightly when you're mashing. It does a great job of hiding the amount of travel it has, but it definitely doesn't have the grip under power of the Meltdown. I had a blast on the Slayer, but the trails there are so good you'd have fun on anything. Many whoops were exlaimed on both bikes.

Admittedly,the Slayer has been in my thoughts a bit, but I'm going to try a bit more tire and a bit more can pressure in the Meltdown and see where that gets me. I'm more of a set it and forget it type guy, so I've never even tried a setup on the Meltdown similar to what I rode on the Slayer.

Anyways, my Meltdown is still going strong and I've still got zero complaints.
    speaking of guys I never here from !!! Great comparison. Love it.You would also want an internal volume spacer. I'm not sure if they existed when your bike was delivered.

It seems like only a couple months ago I was posting about Taiwan, but here I am again. This is a crucial trip for G2 production. Getting the trunnion mount shock in there was a lot of work, but worth it for packaging.

Here's a teaser screen shot from the solidworks eviewer phone app, which is pretty cool

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-2019-screen-shot-s.jpg

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I sent an email in the middle of winter to get on the list for a custom bottoming bumper for my DVO shock. Are they in the works? Thx, Andy from Denver

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    speaking of guys I never here from !!! Great comparison. Love it.You would also want an internal volume spacer. I'm not sure if they existed when your bike was delivered.
    I'm pretty sure there are a couple in the shock already. I seem to remember opening it up to check. I need to make an order for maintenance parts from DVO anyway, so I might order another spacer kit as well to throw some more in.

Speaking of maintenance, is there a bearing replacement list for the frame? No real issues to speak of, but a fresh start for this season would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    I sent an email in the middle of winter to get on the list for a custom bottoming bumper for my DVO shock. Are they in the works? Thx, Andy from Denver
    What are you thinking? I do low volume urethane castings in 3D printed molds regularly and would be willing do a small run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    To everyone waiting for everything. This trip I am currently on is big. Because I can stop spending all of my time designing and start getting caught up on everything I owe everyone.

I am currently making the Vol spacers on my lathe, when I get back after Sea Otter I can spin some more up.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure there are a couple in the shock already. I seem to remember opening it up to check. I need to make an order for maintenance parts from DVO anyway, so I might order another spacer kit as well to throw some more in.

Speaking of maintenance, is there a bearing replacement list for the frame? No real issues to speak of, but a fresh start for this season would be nice.

What are you thinking? I do low volume urethane castings in 3D printed molds regularly and would be willing do a small run.
    I'm not talking about the white bands in the outer can. I am talking about a solid chunk inside

Is this something you could do?

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-vol-spacer.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-vol-sp-inst-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm not talking about the white bands in the outer can. I am talking about a solid chunk inside

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vol spacer.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	1244259

Name:	vol sp inst 4.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	1244260
    I know I'm not the person to answer this but I would have to assume, based off what I know of the technology, that anyone with a serious 3D printer set up could knock those out much more efficiently than turning them on a lathe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Oh, I donít remember seeing something like that before. Let me double check.

From first glance that looks easy enough. What material are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I know I'm not the person to answer this but I would have to assume, based off what I know of the technology, that anyone with a serious 3D printer set up could knock those out much more efficiently than turning them on a lathe.

Maybe not more efficiently but we could definitely decentralize the time and labor costs, which might be the most important advantage right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post

Actually, they are pretty quick and easy. Probably about 2 minutes in turning and 3 minutes in cutting the slot. And that's because I'm slow.

mtbr member
    Oh, I donít remember seeing something like that before. Let me double check.

From first glance that looks easy enough. What material are you using?

Maybe not more efficiently but we could definitely decentralize the time and labor costs, which might be the most important advantage right now.
    You might have a small, modified Fox spacer in there, but I'm not sure I even had those yet..

I just used a generic black nylon. There is no structural requirement at all.

"Decentralize"....ya, that is it. At the moment, 100% of all Tantrum Cycles activity is centralized on....me.

The next batch will help. I will be able to actually pay a few people to help out. Might even turn into an actual bike company dammit.

EAT MORE GRIME

3d idea scales outward
    one image file, anyone can print it out
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

EAT MORE GRIME
    You might have a small, modified Fox spacer in there, but I'm not sure I even had those yet..

"Decentralize"....ya, that is it. At the moment, 100% of all Tantrum Cycles activity is centralized on....me.

The next batch will help. I will be able to actually pay a few people to help out. Might even turn into an actual bike company dammit.
    I still feel bad ( a little bit ) about jonesing for bike #14 from you. for craps sake the first time I took apart the linkage to clean out dirt I was saying...damn there is a lot to this and Brian has to do 50 of these ??? holy hell how can one guy do all this. sure you can do it blindfolded but you really cannot speed this up too much

and now you gotta spit out 200 rev 2's ? (and could likely sell 50,000 of these if some bike genie made them appear)
    --

just so friggin glad your missing link actually works and makes a phenomenal AM bike
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Actually, they are pretty quick and easy. Probably about 2 minutes in turning and 3 minutes in cutting the slot. And that's because I'm slow.
    I can see that. I guess I'm coming at from a process efficieny standpoint where there is a single point bottleneck vs several machines running at once.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

I've got leftover rolls of black nylon filament coming out the wazoo. If you're interested, send me the part file and I'll print one for myself and anyone else who wants one.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I'll take one. don't think will need it but if you end up making one and it fits in topaz T3 will want to have it to test. I don't jump as much as would demand one, but might want to start.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Fox volume spacer

Takes a couple of minutes to modify Fox spacer. Makes a HUGE difference to control bottoming resistance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    if I have reservations about the Motion fork, it would be the carbon leaf spring, which they claim is good for all riders weights, with just a preload adjustment.

First of all, that just doesn't add up, but it may be "close enough", since I'm pretty average.

I would also worry about the longevity of the spring. Carbon in flex. Laminations in flex. Tension, no less

The brake dive issue is also tricky. Too much anti dive means no bump absorption.

Anti dive is pretty much anti squat in reverse.

I didn't want anti Squat in the rear of the Missing Link for the same reasons. Anti bump.

I've had so many layouts of forks, floating brake forks, variable adjustable anti dive...you name it...

Only so much time in the day.
    So, did you try this fork ?
    What do you think of it ?

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-57099066_1632373746866307_5063691623653703680_o.jpg

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Ahhh, thx I have some FOX spacers somewhere... 🤔

mtbr member
    Visually, the frame and fork (and character holding the bike) really complement each other. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Pat2A View Post

Name:	57099066_1632373746866307_5063691623653703680_o.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	507.2 KB 
ID:	1246634
    Do the math.

Tantrumcycles #1
    The looks of the future!

nothing to see here
    Question for Brian...

I'm turning 50 in July. Is there any chance that date may be close to a release date for a version 2? I'm ok if it's not, I just need to plan my desirable present list.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Question for Brian...

I'm turning 50 in July. Is there any chance that date may be close to a release date for a version 2? I'm ok if it's not, I just need to plan my desirable present list.
    Nice. I see what you did there!

Iím turning 50 in October Brian...

mtbr member
    Question for Brian...

hey everyone I had to take a bit of downtime after Sea Otter for some minor foot surgery to remove a bone spur. No big deal, something about a lifetime of riding, blahblahblah. I will be able to play toe piano as good as ever.

Also waiting for definitive dates. As we all know from last time, it's not a fast process, but at least the process has started. I'm thinking July is optimistic.

I will be able to turn loose of a few demo bikes and frames soon

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Also waiting for definitive dates. As we all know from last time, it's not a fast process, but at least the process has started. I'm thinking July is optimistic.
    Hi Brian,

Got any geo numbers locked in?

cheers,
    mat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashlings View Post
    Hi Brian,

Got any geo numbers locked in?

cheers,
    mat
    Man, you are ON IT. I appreciate it. I'll get my shit together soon and post some complete tables, but I have added an XL with 512 mm reach and 74.8 STA. HOPEFULLY big enough for some 6'5" guys.

THe other sizes grow about 10 mm in reach as well

more later.

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Man, you are ON IT. I appreciate it. I'll get my shit together soon and post some complete tables, but I have added an XL with 512 mm reach and 74.8 STA. HOPEFULLY big enough for some 6'5" guys.

THe other sizes grow about 10 mm in reach as well

more later.
    If thatís the effective seat angle that would, by my dodgy calculations, leave the XL with a top tube of about 690mm. That sound correct?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Yes, gonna want to see those geo numbers so I can start figuring how many of which size I need.

nothing to see here
    hey everyone I had to take a bit of downtime after Sea Otter for some minor foot surgery to remove a bone spur. No big deal, something about a lifetime of riding, blahblahblah. I will be able to play toe piano as good as ever.

I will be able to turn loose of a few demo bikes and frames soon
    All good. Got a backup plan. Cheers
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    All good. Got a backup plan. Cheers
    And I hate that you have to have a back-up plan. The harsh reality is that transitioning from a kickstarter effort to an actual bike company has been a slow process.

But I aM making progress, frames in the pipeline, I have a dedicated building and some help lined up once the frames arrive, because then I will have money to pay said help.

Because if 200 frames show up on my doorstep and it's still just me building everything.....But I have decided to take care of the assembly here (just not personally). It was really worth it from a QC point of view.

nothing to see here
    And I hate that you have to have a back-up plan. The harsh reality is that transitioning from a kickstarter effort to an actual bike company has been a slow process.

But I aM making progress, frames in the pipeline, I have a dedicated building and some help lined up once the frames arrive, because then I will have money to pay said help.

Because if 200 frames show up on my doorstep and it's still just me building everything.....But I have decided to take care of the assembly here (just not personally). It was really worth it from a QC point of view.
    There's no pressure to rush things for me. I totally get your situation. I've waited 45 years for the perfect bike. I'd rather wait a little longer for something that is spot on. My back-up plan is no downer either.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

WillWorkForTrail

I donít have a backup plan. I bought a new carbon short travel 29er. I still want a big bike that says Tantrum on it. But, Iíll probably have to catch up with you in July anyhow as, my schedule has been mad, and will be at least til then. Save one of those XLís for me.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324