Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,252 of 2252
    mtbr member
    Ha!!!! Well stated...."it must be the ball bearings, everything is ball bearings!"

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    Ha!!!! Well stated...."it must be the ball bearings, everything is ball bearings!"
    the bolt shafts that sit in the frame in two spots
    missing link pivot and upper link pivot

just sits there, that can creak if mung gets in.

so I bet when he disassembles and cleans and puts a smear of slickoleum
    in there on re-assembly... creak b gon
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    That colour combo - particularly the gold!!!!!

I would like that on my next Tantrum please!

mtbr member
    what am I doing again?

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-vanlife.jpg

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    what am I doing again?
    Turning right?

WillWorkForTrail
    I'd guess driving that rental back to someplace you can ship those bikes home. But that's just a guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'd guess driving that rental back to someplace you can ship those bikes home. But that's just a guess.
    It was more a rhetorical question, but no such rest for the wicked just yet. I had to come down from Northstar demo to Reno for Interbike, then on to Mammoth this weekend for the Kamakazi, which was my first ever DH race in '94

I was hanging with Alta Racks at Northstar. Most heavy duty, well thought out, versatile racks ever
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-alta.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Tantrum Shining for sale

Hey guys I've had fun on my large Shining 29'er but I've never truly gotten on board with the newer geometry-its a bit large for me and its never quite reached the podium to replace my primary ride.

I've put it up for sale so others can experience the Missing Link for themselves and free up a little Autumn cash for myself.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2445058/

bike rider
    Edit: Nevermind, I found the info in your ad.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I want it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    Hey guys I've had fun on my large Shining 29'er but I've never truly gotten on board with the newer geometry-its a bit large for me and its never quite reached the podium to replace my primary ride.

I've put it up for sale so others can experience the Missing Link for themselves and free up a little Autumn cash for myself.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2445058/
    Preston if you’re ever down in the Portland area I’d love to give your frame a spin.

EAT MORE GRIME
    OG BB running and racing

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 09-25-2018 at 02:33 AM.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    OG BB running and racing
    Busted. Except for the running part. Look at that body language. It says "you are at 11k feet. Don't go anaerobic before you even reach the bike."

We were on our backs, head downhill, 20 feet from the bikes for the start. Hill****inlarious.

I wanna say watching a bunch of old geezers roll over in the dirt, but feel compelled to mention the old geezer's class was 40+.

My son was groaning but he'll be in that class in a few......wtf. at least at Sea Otter they had 60+

21 entrants, I think 19 made the start. All at once.

Super fun. The guy in the Fox gear next to me knocked my bike forward a few feet while picking his up, right as I was reaching down to get it.

On the far right, Box jersey and orange helmet, Toby Henderson, multi BMX world and former top 10 pro DH, current 57 yr old cherry picker. Somehow got him on the start. Almost died in the first turn when 2 guys in front of me got sideways at 20mph in baseballs, kitty litter and a 2 ft deep dust cloud.

I pass them as Toby blasts by me on the inside. He was gonna pass me sooner or later, he got second, right behind the winner.

I get into a 5 man train. The guy behind me passes me and the guy in front of me in rapid succession. I follow him thru and then repass him twice before he outpedals me at the bottom. We were all separated by a couple seconds. Wish I had some video....poorly prepared, focused on my race man,,,,,,,,

I got 10th out of 19 finishers. Exactly midpack.

I have to say, super fun. it was a last minute call after Interbike in Reno, which was a 3 hr drive. I didn't plan on racing till the day before. My 30tooth chainring was probably a good safety factor, last time I raced in '012 I had a 48T and went 55, vs 45 this year.

And disappointingly, over a minute slower. Although we didn't have to get up off our back and run....

It was kind of a little reward to myself.

And here's the worst part. at least 20-30 of you out there are saying "what,?? I'm still waiting for stuff!!"

I'm trying hard and I'm kinda stuck at this midpoint. It's almost a full time job taking care of existing customers. And while Eurobike/Interbike, etc, aren't "necessary", I feel like it's always the best opportunity to network within the industry, whether it's for new suspension products or components or licensing opportunities.

And then there's the racing and riding. Well. That's mandatory. But, I didn't really need to tell you that, right? You all know by now, why I even started this in the first place.

The same mental illness that allowed me to devise the missing link also requires that I ride. And of course, it wouldn't even work nor come to pass otherwise.

The missing link isn't an engineering feat. It's riding. Just being a rider and then having the background to design what I needed. It starts and ends with being a rider.

So bear with me a little bit while I sort out this phase.

Preston67, if you haven't sold your bike, I want to buy it and have you hang on to it for demos in the area.

Among other things.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-kami-top2-s.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-overall_finish_gun_by_division_kami05.jpg
    Last edited by TantrumCycles; 09-30-2018 at 05:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ha ha that's so awesome Brian. I think I had some Toby Henderson Tange forks on my Redline at one point as a kid. The elderly racing scene is growing a lot. Ten years ago there were 3 guys in 50+ DH now there are 16.

Yeah just give me a shout when you have time. Had a few nibbles but I could use some cashola sooner rather than later.

mtbr member
    Come out to the Brown County Epic this weekend, Oct 12-14.

look for the RatRod Tantrumobile in the Expo area

I have bikes to ride and tequila to sip.New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-demo-motorhome.jpg

EAT MORE GRIME
    ^^^^Start line address: 1810 SR 46 E , Nashville, IN 47448

https://www.bikereg.com/39195

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Not sure this was in the original design spec, but I took my Meltdown out for a spot of bikepacking recently!
    Name:  tantrumView.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  35.0 KB
    Name:  tantrumBags.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  56.1 KB

Unrelated, but I've also been having some issues with my XFusion. Rebound damping seems to have disappeared, and adjustment has no effect (compression lever seems ok).

I already pulled the can to check it wasn't the negative chamber issue that Brian mentioned previously. So I guess the only answer is to put it in for a service?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by welf View Post
    Not sure this was in the original design spec, but I took my Meltdown out for a spot of bikepacking recently!

Unrelated, but I've also been having some issues with my XFusion. Rebound damping seems to have disappeared, and adjustment has no effect (compression lever seems ok).

I already pulled the can to check it wasn't the negative chamber issue that Brian mentioned previously. So I guess the only answer is to put it in for a service?
    Hey Welfs!! that is so cool. Thanks for posting from New Zealand. Do you mind if I repost your pics and what/where do I tag you.You know, cuz I'm hip that way.

Now that we have the niceties out of the way, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!! I think you broke the shock. Ok, just kidding, but I am curious how much extra weight and how much you had to pump up the shock.

As for the rebound issue, it does sound dead like the negative spring. When you reset the can, make sue to take it completely off the shaft and put some shock seal grease on before reinstalling.

Then, when re-installing, it should be extremely difficult to re-engage the first thread, due to the difficulty sliding the can on created by the negative spring. Sometimes, I have to try several times, but I'm old and weak.

I just wanted to make sure I gave a detailed description. All through initial testing, I used that same xfusion shock. I always knew when the neg spring needed a re-seat. Rebound gone, even when maxxed out. Then I would remember.

mtbr member
    Nice that the linkage is pretty compact and shoved to the back of the triangle, and that leaves good room for a bag. Compare to an HD3 or Hightower... yikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hey Welfs!! that is so cool. Thanks for posting from New Zealand. Do you mind if I repost your pics and what/where do I tag you.You know, cuz I'm hip that way.

Now that we have the niceties out of the way, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!! I think you broke the shock. Ok, just kidding, but I am curious how much extra weight and how much you had to pump up the shock.

As for the rebound issue, it does sound dead like the negative spring. When you reset the can, make sue to take it completely off the shaft and put some shock seal grease on before reinstalling.

Then, when re-installing, it should be extremely difficult to re-engage the first thread, due to the difficulty sliding the can on created by the negative spring. Sometimes, I have to try several times, but I'm old and weak.

I just wanted to make sure I gave a detailed description. All through initial testing, I used that same xfusion shock. I always knew when the neg spring needed a re-seat. Rebound gone, even when maxxed out. Then I would remember.
    Actually that was on a visit back to the UK! We rode the Trans-Cambrian way across the middle of Wales. Reposting pictures is absolutely fine, drop me an email if you want a higher res version.

There wasn't too much extra weight so didn't have to pump the shock up much at all. The rebound was already playing up a little though, so gradually increased pressure as we rode to give a bit firmness and avoid being buckaroo'd off!

Just given it another strip and grease but no improvement. Definitely hard to compress and get the thread to engage when rebuilding, but couldn't feel any significant rebound damping when compressing with the can off either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Nice that the linkage is pretty compact and shoved to the back of the triangle, and that leaves good room for a bag. Compare to an HD3 or Hightower... yikes
    My main objective there being low and centered weight. Water bottle access and such were a side benefit.

In the olden days, we used to talk about having an open front triangle for "portage". You know, like carrying a bike.

I never did that.

mtbr member
    Actually that was on a visit back to the UK! We rode the Trans-Cambrian way across the middle of Wales. Reposting pictures is absolutely fine, drop me an email if you want a higher res version.

There wasn't too much extra weight so didn't have to pump the shock up much at all. The rebound was already playing up a little though, so gradually increased pressure as we rode to give a bit firmness and avoid being buckaroo'd off!

Just given it another strip and grease but no improvement. Definitely hard to compress and get the thread to engage when rebuilding, but couldn't feel any significant rebound damping when compressing with the can off either.
    Hhohohhohahahaha that's even better. A bike sent from the U.S. To New Zealand, off to a trip across Wales.

That has to be one of the more traveled Tantrums. although I do know of some Icelandic and Tibetan Tantrum Travels.

Apparently people are riding these bikes.

if you can't find a service center For the shock, I may have another lying around to send you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hhohohhohahahaha that's even better. A bike sent from the U.S. To New Zealand, off to a trip across Wales.

That has to be one of the more traveled Tantrums. although I do know of some Icelandic and Tibetan Tantrum Travels.

Apparently people are riding these bikes.

if you can't find a service center For the shock, I may have another lying around to send you.
    I'll try for a local service first. Is there anything funny about the internals that they will need to know in order to do the job right?

mtbr member
    I'll try for a local service first. Is there anything funny about the internals that they will need to know in order to do the job right?
    That shock is one of the most dead simple on the planet. Basically a good copy of an RP 23. Without CTD stuff.

My next guess is the IFP is cavitating and needs reset. Which was an rp23 issue, ipso facto. But a pretty easy fix if you have the (common shock) tools.

Any idea how many hours?

I might have had one of those in early testing, but since I was on the "pro" program, I probably just sent it back and they sent me a new one without even discussing it.

But generally, those shocks have been as reliable as they are simple. For example, I don't think I've ever had one lose pressure.........unlike...some other shocks that might work a little better.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I shoulda bought that used Tantrum on Pinkbike, then stuck this on https://www.pinkbike.com/news/trust-...kage-fork.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So Brian, now you need to tackle the Fork market and offer a complete set.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

Tantrumcycles #1
    Don't you think the Motion Ride fork looks more promising? https://m.pinkbike.com/news/motion-r...bike-2018.html
    Last edited by Gunnar Westholm; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:18 PM.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I think my Tantrum will ride better with one of these to be honest

(stupid bike industry tuggin at my wallet all the time.... sheesh)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I shoulda bought that used Tantrum on Pinkbike, then stuck this on https://www.pinkbike.com/news/trust-...kage-fork.html
    good thing I snagged that back, being a rare L

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Westholm View Post
    Don't you think the Motion Ride fork looks more promising? https://m.pinkbike.com/news/motion-r...bike-2018.html
    Hard to say which is "more" promising, although the Motion fork got a nice initial shakedown here:

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/07...rk-first-ride/

I checked it out at Eurobike, but didn't get a ride. Continued.......

mtbr member
    I think my Tantrum will ride better with one of these to be honest

(stupid bike industry tuggin at my wallet all the time.... sheesh)

I'm kinda likin those guys. My I9 hubs are worth time.....like lap time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    So Brian, now you need to tackle the Fork market and offer a complete set.
    I stopped making forks in '99, with this 220 mm dual disc version.

I still have some 160 mm versions that will end up on one of my bikes soon.

Slightly heavy. Unmatched steering, torsion and bump absorption.

Still.

Sorry RS, Fox and DVO, comin thru

Will somebody send money?? DW has 25 employees and 2500 forks at $2700 each. Do the math.

I do have 2 nickles and some loyal kickstarter customers.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-tandem-fr.jpg
    Last edited by TantrumCycles; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:58 PM.

Tantrumcycles #1
    Hard to say which is "more" promising, although the Motion fork got a nice initial shakedown here:

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/07...rk-first-ride/

I checked it out at Eurobike, but didn't get a ride. Continued.......
    I only know I really want a linkage fork. Almost as bad as I have wanted my Tantrum.. The left stanchion on my Diamond fork are now badly scratched. I care much less about how my bike looks then how easy the force can get damaged. And if some change can really make my bike performe and survive better, I don't care about looks at all!! No braked dive and minimal initial stiction sound good to me. The only limiting factors I can see Besides cost.. is that so many riders are stuck in an ideas on how there bikes have to look like to be accepted /not laughed at on the trails.
    And meanwhile I'm saving up for one, riders around me are starting to buy burly eBikes with 160-180mm coil shocks and 3" tyres...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Westholm View Post
    I only know I really want a linkage fork. Almost as bad as I have wanted my Tantrum.. The left stanchion on my Diamond fork are now badly scratched. I care much less about how my bike looks then how easy the force can get damaged. And if some change can really make my bike performe and survive better, I don't care about looks at all!! No braked dive and minimal initial stiction sound good to me. The only limiting factors I can see Besides cost.. is that so many riders are stuck in an ideas on how there bikes have to look like to be accepted /not laughed at on the trails.
    And meanwhile I'm saving up for one, riders around me are starting to buy burly eBikes with 160-180mm coil shocks and 3" tyres...
    if I have reservations about the Motion fork, it would be the carbon leaf spring, which they claim is good for all riders weights, with just a preload adjustment.

First of all, that just doesn't add up, but it may be "close enough", since I'm pretty average.

I would also worry about the longevity of the spring. Carbon in flex. Laminations in flex. Tension, no less

The brake dive issue is also tricky. Too much anti dive means no bump absorption.

Anti dive is pretty much anti squat in reverse.

I didn't want anti Squat in the rear of the Missing Link for the same reasons. Anti bump.

I've had so many layouts of forks, floating brake forks, variable adjustable anti dive...you name it...

Only so much time in the day.

mtbr member
    in the meantimeNew innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-fr-tri-assy-27.5-17m-vf19.0-angle.jpg

mtbr member
    Riders on a Storm

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-storm-track.jpg

mtbr member
    if I have reservations about the Motion fork, it would be the carbon leaf spring, which they claim is good for all riders weights, with just a preload adjustment.

First of all, that just doesn't add up, but it may be "close enough", since I'm pretty average.

I would also worry about the longevity of the spring. Carbon in flex. Laminations in flex. Tension, no less

The brake dive issue is also tricky. Too much anti dive means no bump absorption.

Anti dive is pretty much anti squat in reverse.

I didn't want anti Squat in the rear of the Missing Link for the same reasons. Anti bump.

I've had so many layouts of forks, floating brake forks, variable adjustable anti dive...you name it...

Only so much time in the day.
    Hmmm. I guess it's okay when you do it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    On your homepage it looks like the bike/frame can be ordered, but I have been reading most of the post here lately(there are just so many) and it seems it is not yet available. I am not in a hurry but just curious when it will actually be available?

Are there any updates compared to first versions?

What shock options will the frame have/do you recommend?

Thanks!

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I asked questions 2 months ago on the Tantrum site, crickets.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    he's around, he is a one man operation trying to do the work of 15 people. going to demos, tradeshows, 15 hour flights to the frame builder, and tons of other commitments we are not privy to. keep emailing or PM'ing here or posting here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashbarg View Post
    Hmmm. I guess it's okay when you do it?
    When I do what now?

Generally speaking, everything is ok if I do it. That's my story and I'm stickin to it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cokratex View Post
    On your homepage it looks like the bike/frame can be ordered, but I have been reading most of the post here lately(there are just so many) and it seems it is not yet available. I am not in a hurry but just curious when it will actually be available?

Are there any updates compared to first versions?

What shock options will the frame have/do you recommend?

Thanks!

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    Sorry about the website. It sucks. I haven't even looked at it in months.

I'm in Taiwan working on the next batch. At the moment, to me, nothing else matters.

If I can't get the next batch coming in a relatively timely manner, nothing else matters.

I can get weirdly single mindedly focused like that.

All I can say is I'm working on having bikes early next year. But I don't even want to say that. Really trying to work on underpromising this time.

I've given people their deposits back and stopped taking them. once I know I have bikes coming, I can get everyone up to speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    hey John,

Sorry. I should just shut that contact form off on the website. I don't even get those, they go to "customer service". Guess who that is? Nobody.

mtbr member
    he's around, he is a one man operation trying to do the work of 15 people. going to demos, tradeshows, 15 hour flights to the frame builder, and tons of other commitments we are not privy to. keep emailing or PM'ing here or posting here
    And here in lies the harsh reality. I briefly, seriously, but very briefly considered quitting.

I did the kickstarter. I managed to deliver. I swear the effort woulda killed 10 sane people.

And thru it all, I have to keep riding. So when you see me posting pictures having fun and goofing off, well, if that stops, so does everything else. So that CAN'T STOP.

For example, when I return from Taiwan next week (where I'm writing this at 5 AM all nite jet lag from 12 hrs time difference), I will spend a week in Socal recovering and riding, visiting my best friend, riding with my son and yes, even doing some demo rides.

I'll have 3 bikes there.

I could be returning emails or working on the website, but if I don't get to play, none of it is worth it.

Soooo, thanks everyone for your patience, even if sometimes it's not very much. But understand that I am working as hard as my survival allows. To get more bikes.

And we'll catch up later,,

cheers,

Brian

Who took this picture of me 20 years from now?

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-die-young-old.jpg

mtbr member
    And who woulda thunk a typhoon could make a hard right like that.

Help me Mr. Wizard, get me outta here

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-storm-track-right.jpg

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Typhoons like bikes too.

mtbr member
    If I make it out of here, I will be in the general Socal area with 3 bikes, from this coming weekend thru next.

I want to ride everyday. any takers?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I know the answer is in here somewhere, but it is such a crazy long thread - is anyone running a 32t chainring? Any clearance issues on the chainstay?

I'm running 30 and there is lots of room, but thinking I could go bigger and a bigger cassette.

nothing to see here
    Sorry about the website. It sucks. I haven't even looked at it in months.

I'm in Taiwan working on the next batch. At the moment, to me, nothing else matters.

If I can't get the next batch coming in a relatively timely manner, nothing else matters.

I can get weirdly single mindedly focused like that.

All I can say is I'm working on having bikes early next year. But I don't even want to say that. Really trying to work on underpromising this time.

I've given people their deposits back and stopped taking them. once I know I have bikes coming, I can get everyone up to speed.
    One guaranteed sale to Oz here. Waiting patiently.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    That shock is one of the most dead simple on the planet. Basically a good copy of an RP 23. Without CTD stuff.

My next guess is the IFP is cavitating and needs reset. Which was an rp23 issue, ipso facto. But a pretty easy fix if you have the (common shock) tools.

Any idea how many hours?

I might have had one of those in early testing, but since I was on the "pro" program, I probably just sent it back and they sent me a new one without even discussing it.

But generally, those shocks have been as reliable as they are simple. For example, I don't think I've ever had one lose pressure.........unlike...some other shocks that might work a little better.....
    OK, service done. They found a broken check shim in the damper that was causing the issue, which they have replaced (also the oil was quite heavily foamed). Should be all sorted, just waiting to get it back and fitted (along with a new Revive dropper for extra funsies).

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I have a 32 on mine, no issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    I have a 32 on mine, no issues.
    Thanks

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223