Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,289 of 2289
  1. #2201
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TripleR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    111
    Ha!!!! Well stated...."it must be the ball bearings, everything is ball bearings!"

  2. #2202
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,916
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    Ha!!!! Well stated...."it must be the ball bearings, everything is ball bearings!"
    the bolt shafts that sit in the frame in two spots
    missing link pivot and upper link pivot

    just sits there, that can creak if mung gets in.

    so I bet when he disassembles and cleans and puts a smear of slickoleum
    in there on re-assembly... creak b gon
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  3. #2203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    That colour combo - particularly the gold!!!!!

    I would like that on my next Tantrum please!

  4. #2204
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    what am I doing again?

    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-vanlife.jpg

  5. #2205
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    what am I doing again?
    Turning right?

  6. #2206
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,292
    I'd guess driving that rental back to someplace you can ship those bikes home. But that's just a guess.

  7. #2207
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'd guess driving that rental back to someplace you can ship those bikes home. But that's just a guess.
    It was more a rhetorical question, but no such rest for the wicked just yet. I had to come down from Northstar demo to Reno for Interbike, then on to Mammoth this weekend for the Kamakazi, which was my first ever DH race in '94

    I was hanging with Alta Racks at Northstar. Most heavy duty, well thought out, versatile racks ever
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-alta.jpg

  8. #2208
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,070

    Tantrum Shining for sale

    Hey guys I've had fun on my large Shining 29'er but I've never truly gotten on board with the newer geometry-its a bit large for me and its never quite reached the podium to replace my primary ride.

    I've put it up for sale so others can experience the Missing Link for themselves and free up a little Autumn cash for myself.

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2445058/

  9. #2209
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,262
    Edit: Nevermind, I found the info in your ad.
    Keep the Country country.

  10. #2210
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    I want it

  11. #2211
    mtbr member
    Reputation: buddiesconfusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    Hey guys I've had fun on my large Shining 29'er but I've never truly gotten on board with the newer geometry-its a bit large for me and its never quite reached the podium to replace my primary ride.

    I've put it up for sale so others can experience the Missing Link for themselves and free up a little Autumn cash for myself.

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2445058/
    Preston if youíre ever down in the Portland area Iíd love to give your frame a spin.

  12. #2212
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,916
    OG BB running and racing

    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 09-25-2018 at 02:33 AM.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  13. #2213
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    OG BB running and racing
    Busted. Except for the running part. Look at that body language. It says "you are at 11k feet. Don't go anaerobic before you even reach the bike."

    We were on our backs, head downhill, 20 feet from the bikes for the start. Hill****inlarious.

    I wanna say watching a bunch of old geezers roll over in the dirt, but feel compelled to mention the old geezer's class was 40+.

    My son was groaning but he'll be in that class in a few......wtf. at least at Sea Otter they had 60+

    21 entrants, I think 19 made the start. All at once.

    Super fun. The guy in the Fox gear next to me knocked my bike forward a few feet while picking his up, right as I was reaching down to get it.

    On the far right, Box jersey and orange helmet, Toby Henderson, multi BMX world and former top 10 pro DH, current 57 yr old cherry picker. Somehow got him on the start. Almost died in the first turn when 2 guys in front of me got sideways at 20mph in baseballs, kitty litter and a 2 ft deep dust cloud.

    I pass them as Toby blasts by me on the inside. He was gonna pass me sooner or later, he got second, right behind the winner.

    I get into a 5 man train. The guy behind me passes me and the guy in front of me in rapid succession. I follow him thru and then repass him twice before he outpedals me at the bottom. We were all separated by a couple seconds. Wish I had some video....poorly prepared, focused on my race man,,,,,,,,

    I got 10th out of 19 finishers. Exactly midpack.

    I have to say, super fun. it was a last minute call after Interbike in Reno, which was a 3 hr drive. I didn't plan on racing till the day before. My 30tooth chainring was probably a good safety factor, last time I raced in '012 I had a 48T and went 55, vs 45 this year.

    And disappointingly, over a minute slower. Although we didn't have to get up off our back and run....

    It was kind of a little reward to myself.

    And here's the worst part. at least 20-30 of you out there are saying "what,?? I'm still waiting for stuff!!"

    I'm trying hard and I'm kinda stuck at this midpoint. It's almost a full time job taking care of existing customers. And while Eurobike/Interbike, etc, aren't "necessary", I feel like it's always the best opportunity to network within the industry, whether it's for new suspension products or components or licensing opportunities.

    And then there's the racing and riding. Well. That's mandatory. But, I didn't really need to tell you that, right? You all know by now, why I even started this in the first place.

    The same mental illness that allowed me to devise the missing link also requires that I ride. And of course, it wouldn't even work nor come to pass otherwise.

    The missing link isn't an engineering feat. It's riding. Just being a rider and then having the background to design what I needed. It starts and ends with being a rider.

    So bear with me a little bit while I sort out this phase.

    Preston67, if you haven't sold your bike, I want to buy it and have you hang on to it for demos in the area.

    Among other things.

    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-kami-top2-s.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-overall_finish_gun_by_division_kami05.jpg
    Last edited by TantrumCycles; 09-30-2018 at 05:16 PM.

  14. #2214
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,070
    Ha ha that's so awesome Brian. I think I had some Toby Henderson Tange forks on my Redline at one point as a kid. The elderly racing scene is growing a lot. Ten years ago there were 3 guys in 50+ DH now there are 16.

    Yeah just give me a shout when you have time. Had a few nibbles but I could use some cashola sooner rather than later.

  15. #2215
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Come out to the Brown County Epic this weekend, Oct 12-14.

    look for the RatRod Tantrumobile in the Expo area

    I have bikes to ride and tequila to sip.New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-demo-motorhome.jpg

  16. #2216
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,916
    ^^^^Start line address: 1810 SR 46 E , Nashville, IN 47448


    https://www.bikereg.com/39195
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  17. #2217
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    11
    Not sure this was in the original design spec, but I took my Meltdown out for a spot of bikepacking recently!
    Name:  tantrumView.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  35.0 KB
    Name:  tantrumBags.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  56.1 KB

    Unrelated, but I've also been having some issues with my XFusion. Rebound damping seems to have disappeared, and adjustment has no effect (compression lever seems ok).

    I already pulled the can to check it wasn't the negative chamber issue that Brian mentioned previously. So I guess the only answer is to put it in for a service?

  18. #2218
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by welf View Post
    Not sure this was in the original design spec, but I took my Meltdown out for a spot of bikepacking recently!

    Unrelated, but I've also been having some issues with my XFusion. Rebound damping seems to have disappeared, and adjustment has no effect (compression lever seems ok).

    I already pulled the can to check it wasn't the negative chamber issue that Brian mentioned previously. So I guess the only answer is to put it in for a service?
    Hey Welfs!! that is so cool. Thanks for posting from New Zealand. Do you mind if I repost your pics and what/where do I tag you.You know, cuz I'm hip that way.

    Now that we have the niceties out of the way, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!! I think you broke the shock. Ok, just kidding, but I am curious how much extra weight and how much you had to pump up the shock.

    As for the rebound issue, it does sound dead like the negative spring. When you reset the can, make sue to take it completely off the shaft and put some shock seal grease on before reinstalling.

    Then, when re-installing, it should be extremely difficult to re-engage the first thread, due to the difficulty sliding the can on created by the negative spring. Sometimes, I have to try several times, but I'm old and weak.

    I just wanted to make sure I gave a detailed description. All through initial testing, I used that same xfusion shock. I always knew when the neg spring needed a re-seat. Rebound gone, even when maxxed out. Then I would remember.

  19. #2219
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    983
    Nice that the linkage is pretty compact and shoved to the back of the triangle, and that leaves good room for a bag. Compare to an HD3 or Hightower... yikes

  20. #2220
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    Hey Welfs!! that is so cool. Thanks for posting from New Zealand. Do you mind if I repost your pics and what/where do I tag you.You know, cuz I'm hip that way.

    Now that we have the niceties out of the way, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!! I think you broke the shock. Ok, just kidding, but I am curious how much extra weight and how much you had to pump up the shock.

    As for the rebound issue, it does sound dead like the negative spring. When you reset the can, make sue to take it completely off the shaft and put some shock seal grease on before reinstalling.

    Then, when re-installing, it should be extremely difficult to re-engage the first thread, due to the difficulty sliding the can on created by the negative spring. Sometimes, I have to try several times, but I'm old and weak.

    I just wanted to make sure I gave a detailed description. All through initial testing, I used that same xfusion shock. I always knew when the neg spring needed a re-seat. Rebound gone, even when maxxed out. Then I would remember.
    Actually that was on a visit back to the UK! We rode the Trans-Cambrian way across the middle of Wales. Reposting pictures is absolutely fine, drop me an email if you want a higher res version.

    There wasn't too much extra weight so didn't have to pump the shock up much at all. The rebound was already playing up a little though, so gradually increased pressure as we rode to give a bit firmness and avoid being buckaroo'd off!

    Just given it another strip and grease but no improvement. Definitely hard to compress and get the thread to engage when rebuilding, but couldn't feel any significant rebound damping when compressing with the can off either.

  21. #2221
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Nice that the linkage is pretty compact and shoved to the back of the triangle, and that leaves good room for a bag. Compare to an HD3 or Hightower... yikes
    My main objective there being low and centered weight. Water bottle access and such were a side benefit.

    In the olden days, we used to talk about having an open front triangle for "portage". You know, like carrying a bike.

    I never did that.

  22. #2222
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by welf View Post
    Actually that was on a visit back to the UK! We rode the Trans-Cambrian way across the middle of Wales. Reposting pictures is absolutely fine, drop me an email if you want a higher res version.

    There wasn't too much extra weight so didn't have to pump the shock up much at all. The rebound was already playing up a little though, so gradually increased pressure as we rode to give a bit firmness and avoid being buckaroo'd off!

    Just given it another strip and grease but no improvement. Definitely hard to compress and get the thread to engage when rebuilding, but couldn't feel any significant rebound damping when compressing with the can off either.
    Hhohohhohahahaha that's even better. A bike sent from the U.S. To New Zealand, off to a trip across Wales.

    That has to be one of the more traveled Tantrums. although I do know of some Icelandic and Tibetan Tantrum Travels.

    Apparently people are riding these bikes.

    if you can't find a service center For the shock, I may have another lying around to send you.

  23. #2223
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    Hhohohhohahahaha that's even better. A bike sent from the U.S. To New Zealand, off to a trip across Wales.

    That has to be one of the more traveled Tantrums. although I do know of some Icelandic and Tibetan Tantrum Travels.

    Apparently people are riding these bikes.

    if you can't find a service center For the shock, I may have another lying around to send you.
    I'll try for a local service first. Is there anything funny about the internals that they will need to know in order to do the job right?

  24. #2224
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by welf View Post
    I'll try for a local service first. Is there anything funny about the internals that they will need to know in order to do the job right?
    That shock is one of the most dead simple on the planet. Basically a good copy of an RP 23. Without CTD stuff.

    My next guess is the IFP is cavitating and needs reset. Which was an rp23 issue, ipso facto. But a pretty easy fix if you have the (common shock) tools.

    Any idea how many hours?

    I might have had one of those in early testing, but since I was on the "pro" program, I probably just sent it back and they sent me a new one without even discussing it.

    But generally, those shocks have been as reliable as they are simple. For example, I don't think I've ever had one lose pressure.........unlike...some other shocks that might work a little better.....

  25. #2225
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,052
    I shoulda bought that used Tantrum on Pinkbike, then stuck this on https://www.pinkbike.com/news/trust-...kage-fork.html

  26. #2226
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,870
    So Brian, now you need to tackle the Fork market and offer a complete set.
    OG Ripley v2

  27. #2227
    Tantrumcycles #1
    Reputation: Gunnar Westholm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    302
    Don't you think the Motion Ride fork looks more promising? https://m.pinkbike.com/news/motion-r...bike-2018.html
    Last edited by Gunnar Westholm; 10-25-2018 at 02:18 PM.

  28. #2228
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,916
    I think my Tantrum will ride better with one of these to be honest

    (stupid bike industry tuggin at my wallet all the time.... sheesh)

    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  29. #2229
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I shoulda bought that used Tantrum on Pinkbike, then stuck this on https://www.pinkbike.com/news/trust-...kage-fork.html
    good thing I snagged that back, being a rare L

  30. #2230
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Westholm View Post
    Don't you think the Motion Ride fork looks more promising? https://m.pinkbike.com/news/motion-r...bike-2018.html
    Hard to say which is "more" promising, although the Motion fork got a nice initial shakedown here:

    https://singletrackworld.com/2018/07...rk-first-ride/

    I checked it out at Eurobike, but didn't get a ride. Continued.......

  31. #2231
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    I think my Tantrum will ride better with one of these to be honest

    (stupid bike industry tuggin at my wallet all the time.... sheesh)

    I'm kinda likin those guys. My I9 hubs are worth time.....like lap time

  32. #2232
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    So Brian, now you need to tackle the Fork market and offer a complete set.
    I stopped making forks in '99, with this 220 mm dual disc version.

    I still have some 160 mm versions that will end up on one of my bikes soon.

    Slightly heavy. Unmatched steering, torsion and bump absorption.

    Still.

    Sorry RS, Fox and DVO, comin thru

    Will somebody send money?? DW has 25 employees and 2500 forks at $2700 each. Do the math.

    I do have 2 nickles and some loyal kickstarter customers.

    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-tandem-fr.jpg
    Last edited by TantrumCycles; 10-25-2018 at 09:58 PM.

  33. #2233
    Tantrumcycles #1
    Reputation: Gunnar Westholm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    Hard to say which is "more" promising, although the Motion fork got a nice initial shakedown here:

    https://singletrackworld.com/2018/07...rk-first-ride/

    I checked it out at Eurobike, but didn't get a ride. Continued.......
    I only know I really want a linkage fork. Almost as bad as I have wanted my Tantrum.. The left stanchion on my Diamond fork are now badly scratched. I care much less about how my bike looks then how easy the force can get damaged. And if some change can really make my bike performe and survive better, I don't care about looks at all!! No braked dive and minimal initial stiction sound good to me. The only limiting factors I can see Besides cost.. is that so many riders are stuck in an ideas on how there bikes have to look like to be accepted /not laughed at on the trails.
    And meanwhile I'm saving up for one, riders around me are starting to buy burly eBikes with 160-180mm coil shocks and 3" tyres...

  34. #2234
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Westholm View Post
    I only know I really want a linkage fork. Almost as bad as I have wanted my Tantrum.. The left stanchion on my Diamond fork are now badly scratched. I care much less about how my bike looks then how easy the force can get damaged. And if some change can really make my bike performe and survive better, I don't care about looks at all!! No braked dive and minimal initial stiction sound good to me. The only limiting factors I can see Besides cost.. is that so many riders are stuck in an ideas on how there bikes have to look like to be accepted /not laughed at on the trails.
    And meanwhile I'm saving up for one, riders around me are starting to buy burly eBikes with 160-180mm coil shocks and 3" tyres...
    if I have reservations about the Motion fork, it would be the carbon leaf spring, which they claim is good for all riders weights, with just a preload adjustment.

    First of all, that just doesn't add up, but it may be "close enough", since I'm pretty average.

    I would also worry about the longevity of the spring. Carbon in flex. Laminations in flex. Tension, no less

    The brake dive issue is also tricky. Too much anti dive means no bump absorption.

    Anti dive is pretty much anti squat in reverse.

    I didn't want anti Squat in the rear of the Missing Link for the same reasons. Anti bump.

    I've had so many layouts of forks, floating brake forks, variable adjustable anti dive...you name it...

    Only so much time in the day.

  35. #2235
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    in the meantimeNew innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-fr-tri-assy-27.5-17m-vf19.0-angle.jpg

  36. #2236
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Riders on a Storm

    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-storm-track.jpg

  37. #2237
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thrashbarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    if I have reservations about the Motion fork, it would be the carbon leaf spring, which they claim is good for all riders weights, with just a preload adjustment.

    First of all, that just doesn't add up, but it may be "close enough", since I'm pretty average.

    I would also worry about the longevity of the spring. Carbon in flex. Laminations in flex. Tension, no less

    The brake dive issue is also tricky. Too much anti dive means no bump absorption.

    Anti dive is pretty much anti squat in reverse.

    I didn't want anti Squat in the rear of the Missing Link for the same reasons. Anti bump.

    I've had so many layouts of forks, floating brake forks, variable adjustable anti dive...you name it...

    Only so much time in the day.
    Hmmm. I guess it's okay when you do it?

  38. #2238
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    89
    On your homepage it looks like the bike/frame can be ordered, but I have been reading most of the post here lately(there are just so many) and it seems it is not yet available. I am not in a hurry but just curious when it will actually be available?

    Are there any updates compared to first versions?

    What shock options will the frame have/do you recommend?

    Thanks!

    Skickat frŚn min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

  39. #2239
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    556
    I asked questions 2 months ago on the Tantrum site, crickets.

  40. #2240
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,916
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    I asked questions 2 months ago on the Tantrum site, crickets.
    he's around, he is a one man operation trying to do the work of 15 people. going to demos, tradeshows, 15 hour flights to the frame builder, and tons of other commitments we are not privy to. keep emailing or PM'ing here or posting here
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  41. #2241
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashbarg View Post
    Hmmm. I guess it's okay when you do it?
    When I do what now?

    Generally speaking, everything is ok if I do it. That's my story and I'm stickin to it

  42. #2242
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by cokratex View Post
    On your homepage it looks like the bike/frame can be ordered, but I have been reading most of the post here lately(there are just so many) and it seems it is not yet available. I am not in a hurry but just curious when it will actually be available?

    Are there any updates compared to first versions?

    What shock options will the frame have/do you recommend?

    Thanks!

    Skickat frŚn min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    Sorry about the website. It sucks. I haven't even looked at it in months.

    I'm in Taiwan working on the next batch. At the moment, to me, nothing else matters.

    If I can't get the next batch coming in a relatively timely manner, nothing else matters.

    I can get weirdly single mindedly focused like that.

    All I can say is I'm working on having bikes early next year. But I don't even want to say that. Really trying to work on underpromising this time.

    I've given people their deposits back and stopped taking them. once I know I have bikes coming, I can get everyone up to speed.

  43. #2243
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    I asked questions 2 months ago on the Tantrum site, crickets.
    hey John,

    Sorry. I should just shut that contact form off on the website. I don't even get those, they go to "customer service". Guess who that is? Nobody.

  44. #2244
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    he's around, he is a one man operation trying to do the work of 15 people. going to demos, tradeshows, 15 hour flights to the frame builder, and tons of other commitments we are not privy to. keep emailing or PM'ing here or posting here
    And here in lies the harsh reality. I briefly, seriously, but very briefly considered quitting.

    I did the kickstarter. I managed to deliver. I swear the effort woulda killed 10 sane people.

    And thru it all, I have to keep riding. So when you see me posting pictures having fun and goofing off, well, if that stops, so does everything else. So that CAN'T STOP.

    For example, when I return from Taiwan next week (where I'm writing this at 5 AM all nite jet lag from 12 hrs time difference), I will spend a week in Socal recovering and riding, visiting my best friend, riding with my son and yes, even doing some demo rides.

    I'll have 3 bikes there.

    I could be returning emails or working on the website, but if I don't get to play, none of it is worth it.

    Soooo, thanks everyone for your patience, even if sometimes it's not very much. But understand that I am working as hard as my survival allows. To get more bikes.

    And we'll catch up later,,

    cheers,

    Brian

    Who took this picture of me 20 years from now?

    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-die-young-old.jpg

  45. #2245
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    And who woulda thunk a typhoon could make a hard right like that.

    Help me Mr. Wizard, get me outta here

    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-storm-track-right.jpg

  46. #2246
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,779
    Typhoons like bikes too.

  47. #2247
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    If I make it out of here, I will be in the general Socal area with 3 bikes, from this coming weekend thru next.

    I want to ride everyday. any takers?

  48. #2248
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    18
    I know the answer is in here somewhere, but it is such a crazy long thread - is anyone running a 32t chainring? Any clearance issues on the chainstay?

    I'm running 30 and there is lots of room, but thinking I could go bigger and a bigger cassette.

  49. #2249
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,268
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    Sorry about the website. It sucks. I haven't even looked at it in months.

    I'm in Taiwan working on the next batch. At the moment, to me, nothing else matters.

    If I can't get the next batch coming in a relatively timely manner, nothing else matters.

    I can get weirdly single mindedly focused like that.

    All I can say is I'm working on having bikes early next year. But I don't even want to say that. Really trying to work on underpromising this time.

    I've given people their deposits back and stopped taking them. once I know I have bikes coming, I can get everyone up to speed.
    One guaranteed sale to Oz here. Waiting patiently.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  50. #2250
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    That shock is one of the most dead simple on the planet. Basically a good copy of an RP 23. Without CTD stuff.

    My next guess is the IFP is cavitating and needs reset. Which was an rp23 issue, ipso facto. But a pretty easy fix if you have the (common shock) tools.

    Any idea how many hours?

    I might have had one of those in early testing, but since I was on the "pro" program, I probably just sent it back and they sent me a new one without even discussing it.

    But generally, those shocks have been as reliable as they are simple. For example, I don't think I've ever had one lose pressure.........unlike...some other shocks that might work a little better.....
    OK, service done. They found a broken check shim in the damper that was causing the issue, which they have replaced (also the oil was quite heavily foamed). Should be all sorted, just waiting to get it back and fitted (along with a new Revive dropper for extra funsies).

  51. #2251
    @2whlfun
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    536
    I have a 32 on mine, no issues.

  52. #2252
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    I have a 32 on mine, no issues.
    Thanks

  53. #2253
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    One guaranteed sale to Oz here. Waiting patiently.
    getting there. thanks

  54. #2254
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by welf View Post
    OK, service done. They found a broken check shim in the damper that was causing the issue, which they have replaced (also the oil was quite heavily foamed). Should be all sorted, just waiting to get it back and fitted (along with a new Revive dropper for extra funsies).
    glad they could sort it out. I'll keep it in mind in case it comes up with others.

  55. #2255
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Got a decent review on Singletracks. Decent only because it was bike park/DH oriented. This was at the Northstar demo prior to Interbike

    "the Tantrum was my favorite in terms of descending. The DVO suspension felt plush, and the bike handled exceptionally well. The Shinning offered me all the travel I needed, and easily the smoothest ride of the bunch."


    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...-missing-link/

    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-tantrum_bike_the_shinning-6-1170x780.jpg

  56. #2256
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    Got a decent review on Singletracks. Decent only because it was bike park/DH oriented. This was at the Northstar demo prior to Interbike
    Equally, I don't think this rider had the right set of expectations. It'll never be as responsive as a hardtail (mostly because it's heavier than most of them), but it will (I'm led to believe) put the power down in chunk. To me, that's the point. That's why I'm interested. Tell him to ride up awful lines he'd usually avoid and I suspect you'll get a stronger endorsement.

  57. #2257
    monkey
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    One guaranteed sale to Oz here. Waiting patiently.
    Iíll sell you my frame if you need a large. Seriously, too small for me.

  58. #2258
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,292
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    getting there. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    Got a decent review on Singletracks. Decent only because it was bike park/DH oriented. This was at the Northstar demo prior to Interbike

    "the Tantrum was my favorite in terms of descending. The DVO suspension felt plush, and the bike handled exceptionally well. The Shinning offered me all the travel I needed, and easily the smoothest ride of the bunch."


    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...-missing-link/

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tantrum_bike_the_shinning-6-1170x780.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	1225188
    Up for air, and back from Taiwan. The Singletracks article mentioned the new model having a slacker headtube. Any chance you get get a full set of geometry numbers for the new (esp XL) frame up? I'd love to get eyes on what the numbers are for this beast, esp. the wheelbase, reach, ETT...

  59. #2259
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,916
    "If only mountain bike publications would quit saying such good things about how the bikes perform, Brian might actually be able to deliver more bikes."
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  60. #2260
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,421
    These are cool machines.

    However I'm a big believer in considerably longer bikes, partially for handling, but mostly for comfort.

    Wishing Brian even more success and exposure.

  61. #2261
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Equally, I don't think this rider had the right set of expectations. It'll never be as responsive as a hardtail (mostly because it's heavier than most of them), but it will (I'm led to believe) put the power down in chunk. To me, that's the point. That's why I'm interested. Tell him to ride up awful lines he'd usually avoid and I suspect you'll get a stronger endorsement.
    I don't think his expectations were the problem. He was a lot more enthusiastic right after his ride, BUT, there was no real climbing to be had there, other than climbing the snowcat access fireroads. So, he was right to temper that for the review.

    all the tech/fun lines were DH only, which is something they should address for next year. So the demo was mostly a lift served DH party.

    I'll take "best in class". There was certainly no shortage of long travel bikes to choose from.

    Eventually, I'll get bikes to him and some other scribes for some long term tests. It hasn't been my priority as I've struggled to keep up with existing orders.

  62. #2262
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashlings View Post
    Iíll sell you my frame if you need a large. Seriously, too small for me.
    been meaning to email you back about that. we at least ought to turn that into a demo bike.

  63. #2263
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Up for air, and back from Taiwan. The Singletracks article mentioned the new model having a slacker headtube. Any chance you get get a full set of geometry numbers for the new (esp XL) frame up? I'd love to get eyes on what the numbers are for this beast, esp. the wheelbase, reach, ETT...
    up for air.....have I ever mentioned my secret life as Wile E. Coyote?? I might just be my own, semi-indestructable cartoon character.

    Fly off on 20 hrs of flights during a the worst typhoon in history, with a sinus/ear infection. Blitz thru that for some R&R&R in Socal.

    Get in some awesome, epic riding, including a death defying descent down Mt Wilson where aforementioned sinus thing (vertigo) plus Taiwan time change jet lag conspire to steer me off the side of a cliff.

    At about 5000'. with a potential vertical fall of oh, say, you're dead 100 times, like Wile E falling into the canyon.

    I happened upon a nearby shrubbery on the way off, which were rare and loosely rooted. But enough to arrest my fall. I had my bike in one hand and the shrub in another.

    I crawled out, went back down to rescue the bike and finished the rest of the ride, another couple hours and 3k' descending, with only minor damage. The bike was fine.

    I have video of the off, then my card filled up before I crawled out. I'm probably ruining it because it will be somewhat less dramatic than it sounds.

    But THEN, all hell breaks loose and the whole state goes up in flames. I'm not in immediate danger but cell phone alerts are going off, freeways are closing, air quality alerts and people are dying.

    My flight won't happen from Burbank because it goes thru San Fran so I hot foot it down to LAX to get a flight thru chicago, which never burns, so as long as you miss the snow storms or thunderstorms, you're good.

  64. #2264
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Up for air, and back from Taiwan. The Singletracks article mentioned the new model having a slacker headtube. Any chance you get get a full set of geometry numbers for the new (esp XL) frame up? I'd love to get eyes on what the numbers are for this beast, esp. the wheelbase, reach, ETT...
    oh ya, what was the question?

    Thee XL hasn't technically been "penned" yet, but I'm putting the reach at 490-500 mm.

    the trick is, and it is a trick, is to somehow get everything to work like the current setup only better. By that, I mean in terms of modularity and flexibility to be setup anywhere from a 180 mm to 140 mm setup and maintain good geo numbers for each case.

    Even at that, some people have no need for the slacker end of my angles, so I need to make sure, at lest with aid of anglesets, that I can adapt.

    So he mentioned a slacker HTA, because the white lizard I brought, with a 180 fork and -2 Works headset, was about 62ish, which is where the 2019 Shinning will be. With a 180 fork.

    My personal Shinning? I'm putting it back to a 160 mm fork to lower it and steepen it up a bit. the 180 fork is great, as is the 62HTA when it gets tough, but I THINK overall, it will be faster and more fun around here with the 160 fork.

  65. #2265
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    "If only mountain bike publications would quit saying such good things about how the bikes perform, Brian might actually be able to deliver more bikes."
    I think that sounds bad, but I didn't say it. On the other hand, it's rare to quote other reviews.

  66. #2266
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    These are cool machines.

    However I'm a big believer in considerably longer bikes, partially for handling, but mostly for comfort.

    Wishing Brian even more success and exposure.
    The XL, with the 490 m reach, will have a ST length of 21", simply for the joy of mixing units. It will have better standover than the current model, but you still probably want to be at least 6" tall.

  67. #2267
    monkey
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    been meaning to email you back about that. we at least ought to turn that into a demo bike.
    If I sell, it will be with a view to an XL Tantrum but I canít commit until I see the numbers. 490 reach is sounding well on the short side for me, and I suspect other real XL riders, if youíre steepening the seat tube.
    Regarding the demo idea, Iím all for that but Iíd have to swap out the cockpit for ordinary (sub 6í5Ē) mortals, meaning I wonít be able to ride it. I have some local guys who want to try it but the 120mm stem puts them of for some reason!

  68. #2268
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashlings View Post
    Iíll sell you my frame if you need a large. Seriously, too small for me.
    Large is too large for me. I need a small for little small me.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  69. #2269
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thrashbarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    My flight won't happen from Burbank because it goes thru San Fran so I hot foot it down to LAX to get a flight thru chicago, which never burns, so as long as you miss the snow storms or thunderstorms, you're good.
    I saw a movie where they were flying from LA to the east coast and there was a snow storm in the midwest so the plane was forced to land in Montana (because that's right on the way) and all flights were grounded for two days. Never realized how much Montana looks like Telluride until I saw that movie.

  70. #2270
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    58
    Brian, what's the weight on the Outburst XC? Seems if you could get the XC version down to about 25#, it would be a excellent XC platform.

  71. #2271
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,292
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    getting there. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtee View Post
    Brian, what's the weight on the Outburst XC? Seems if you could get the XC version down to about 25#, it would be a excellent XC platform.
    I'm not sure weights that low are in the cards right now because of the tubing being used for the frame. The fact the frames are easily convertible to much longer travel means he can make one frame and build whatever bike he needs from it. It keeps production costs low for a one man show.

  72. #2272
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtee View Post
    Brian, what's the weight on the Outburst XC? Seems if you could get the XC version down to about 25#, it would be a excellent XC platform.
    man, I think I'm still climbing out of the cliff drop....Nobody, to my knowledge, has tried to build a real XC version. My bikes, generally in the 170-180 mm travel range, are about 30-31 lbs with pedals. And reasonably burly parts.

    I have a 140 m 29er that I would like to go full XC, narrow rims, light tires, etc. I'm sure I can get below 27........

  73. #2273
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'm not sure weights that low are in the cards right now because of the tubing being used for the frame. The fact the frames are easily convertible to much longer travel means he can make one frame and build whatever bike he needs from it. It keeps production costs low for a one man show.
    But ya, I'm not quite looking at the XC market yet, even though it would be an instant, out of the box race winner (wait, why aren't I?). Oh, ya, I like bigger travel bikes,,,,,

    I would love to do a lighter frame, just can't yet.

    The crazy thing is, I keep reading reviews of $8000 carbon wonder bikes with all the bling and they weigh 31-32, sans pedals.........You could have 2 of my bikes, lighter.....

  74. #2274
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashbarg View Post
    Never realized how much Montana looks like Telluride
    that's what they want you to think

  75. #2275
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Oh ya, made Best of Test '18 by a German website

    Not a bad mention from the year long test of the Shinning, 170 fr/165 rr 29er.

    The article itself is fairly light, as they did a more comprehensive review of the bike early this year.

    The challenge was that they were to use this bike as a test bed for everything else they were testing, droppers, forks, etc. So it was horsewhipped, flogged and parts swapped over and over in the course of the year.

    "Tantrum Cycles and the Missing Link are a huge success, standing their ground and proving its worth against the big ones in a full season of hard charging and being used as official testing platform by TNI-de" "the result is something very innovative and a great bike....from a one man show truly challenging the big player's bikes"

    Ya, it's an obscure German website....I'll take it. I'll ****in take it. They had the bike all year without me baby sitting. Nervous as hell.

    "it was a real pleasure to ride this bike over the course of the year"

    I let just a hint of a tear roll as I quietly sipped a fine glass of tequila in celebration

    BEST of¬* TEST‚Äô18 ‚Äď 5. Teil (Innovative Bikes)

  76. #2276
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    I thought you could say **** on mtbr

    that is Sofa King Wrong

  77. #2277
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TripleR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    111
    My Xc'ish "Murtant" is 29 lbs 140 frt and 160rear...29er/27.5. Not weight weenie parts. Its quick and nimble but I might try to steepen the headangkle a bit with an angleset. Sure, I'd love it to be 25 lbs but it works great as is and the only time I notice the weight is when I pick up my light weight hardtail.
    Keep it up B!!!!

  78. #2278
    monkey
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    man, I think I'm still climbing out of the cliff drop....Nobody, to my knowledge, has tried to build a real XC version. My bikes, generally in the 170-180 mm travel range, are about 30-31 lbs with pedals. And reasonably burly parts
    I donít think a full XC is relevant but OMG, how good would a light trail version be? Even a lighter alloy incarnation with 120mm travel and 29Ē wheels. My dream bike I reckon.

  79. #2279
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashlings View Post
    I donít think a full XC is relevant but OMG, how good would a light trail version be? Even a lighter alloy incarnation with 120mm travel and 29Ē wheels. My dream bike I reckon.
    I think it should/could be quite relevant for XC. This platform could be a legit alternative to a problematic system like Specialized's Brain or handlebar mounted remote lockouts. Having a FS XC bike with the pedaling efficiency of a HT is pretty close the holy grail for a XC race bike.

  80. #2280
    monkey
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtee View Post
    I think it should/could be quite relevant for XC. This platform could be a legit alternative to a problematic system like Specialized's Brain or handlebar mounted remote lockouts. Having a FS XC bike with the pedaling efficiency of a HT is pretty close the holy grail for a XC race bike.
    While I donít disagree with this, Brian has suggested before that the benefits of Missing Link might not translate fully to short travel. If another company with the resources to build a light carbon XC version were to license the design, we might get to see. I think a light trail version fits better within the Tantrum Cycles universe, after all, it allows you to run more travel without the disadvantages.

  81. #2281
    I throw poo
    Reputation: lovemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashlings View Post
    While I donít disagree with this, Brian has suggested before that the benefits of Missing Link might not translate fully to short travel. If another company with the resources to build a light carbon XC version were to license the design, we might get to see. I think a light trail version fits better within the Tantrum Cycles universe, after all, it allows you to run more travel without the disadvantages.
    A 120/120 Tantrum crushing the world of 100mm bikes would warm my heart.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

  82. #2282
    monkey
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtee View Post
    I think it should/could be quite relevant for XC. This platform could be a legit alternative to a problematic system like Specialized's Brain or handlebar mounted remote lockouts. Having a FS XC bike with the pedaling efficiency of a HT is pretty close the holy grail for a XC race bike.
    Also, since I ride a Tantrum and a hardtail back to back all the time, Iím not sure I want a dually that Ďclimbs like a hardtailí; they are such different beasts. Thatís why other manufacturers add lockout switches, to simulate a hardtail, but you loose the advantages of both bikes this way; the light weight and acceleration of the hardtail and the traction of the dually.

  83. #2283
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    I have a 140 m 29er that I would like to go full XC, narrow rims, light tires, etc. I'm sure I can get below 27........
    I'm sure you're right.

    I've attached one potential build at 28.2 lbs with 29/2.6 tires and wheels to suit. Narrow wheels could drop 200g. Race tires, 450g. A shorter Fox fork would be 200g less. Carbon cranks, 50g less.

    So, ~26.2 lbs ready to ride. But it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

  84. #2284
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    73
    The article says that some 200 Tantrum Mark II are almost ready to be rolled out; Brian, a comment on that....

  85. #2285
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,292
    Quote Originally Posted by lavolpeeluva View Post
    The article says that some 200 Tantrum Mark II are almost ready to be rolled out; Brian, a comment on that....
    At the risk of overstepping, I think this is still a couple months out. Otherwise, thereís a fair amount of info on mark 2 already in this thread.

  86. #2286
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashlings View Post
    I donít think a full XC is relevant but OMG, how good would a light trail version be? Even a lighter alloy incarnation with 120mm travel and 29Ē wheels. My dream bike I reckon.
    I owe you a super extra good deal on a G2 XL

  87. #2287
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashlings View Post
    While I donít disagree with this, Brian has suggested before that the benefits of Missing Link might not translate fully to short travel. If another company with the resources to build a light carbon XC version were to license the design, we might get to see. I think a light trail version fits better within the Tantrum Cycles universe, after all, it allows you to run more travel without the disadvantages.
    It's not that the benefits don't translate to short travel, the opposite is true. What I said is that there is no longer a downside to longer travel. In fact there is MORE advantage to longer travel due to more geo change.

    The geo change and pedaling performance will still be there in shorter travel, just less.

    Weirdly, I think a lightweight, maybe 24-25 lb-ish, 100-120 front, 140-160 rr would dominate

  88. #2288
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TantrumCycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by lavolpeeluva View Post
    The article says that some 200 Tantrum Mark II are almost ready to be rolled out; Brian, a comment on that....
    ya. Working hard. Just like when KS was going on, when you don't hear from me, it's the sound of me working.

    G2 is a few months away.

    The decision was whether to change to trunnion mount shock.

    I chose yes, but it means entirely new linkage and "forgings".

    But I'm nailing it. More later.

  89. #2289
    monkey
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    I owe you a super extra good deal on a G2 XL
    😃 you got a final TT length for the XL yet Brian?

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Similar Threads

  1. Tantrum Cycles Demo locations across the U.S.
    By TantrumCycles in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-12-2018, 08:54 AM
  2. Tantrum Cycles Kickstarter is ALIVE
    By TantrumCycles in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-31-2016, 02:36 PM
  3. New Tantrum Cycles video
    By TantrumCycles in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-03-2016, 08:29 PM
  4. Tantrum Cycles Kickstarter is ALIVE
    By TantrumCycles in forum 27.5
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2016, 11:59 AM
  5. Tantrum Cycles Demo coming up in Aug
    By TantrumCycles in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2016, 07:58 AM

Members who have read this thread: 585

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.