Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    5

    New guy here, need advice on first bike

    Hey there, I'm new to mountain biking and I was looking for a good first bike around $3000 Canadian. After talking to a bunch of sellers I got a couple of models that fit my needs and I would like to know which one you guys recommend.


    • Devinci Troy alluminium
    • Specialized Comp stumpjumper
    • Trek remedy 7
    • Norco fluid FS1+
    • Kona Process 153 SE.


    Some are pricier than others which balances my decision. Not so sure about which ones are the best... I'm looking for an all mountain bike that works for a first timer haha. Looking forward to readind you. Right now the Specialized and the Kona seem pretty awesome.

    Thank you very much

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    5
    Just realized this isn't the place for beginners haha, I don't know how to erase the post either :/

  3. #3
    bike pamper-er
    Reputation: cakeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    61
    Trek is years behind on the geometry of the remedy. The Kona wouldn't be bad if you don't mind a low stack. If it were me, I'd go with the Troy. Bomber frame, progressive DW split pivot suspension, rockshox fork with 35mm stanchions, and modern geometry.
    Shorter seat tubes, taller droppers.
    Shorter chainstays, taller stacks.
    Shorter stems, taller BB's.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,029

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    721
    Kinda curious why, as a new guy, you are looking exclusively at 150mm travel bikes, well except the Norco.

    You could save some money probably by lowering your sights to more trail-oriented bikes with 120-140mm travel.

    Also, I suspect you wouldn't be able to tell much difference between the Norco FS1 and the FS2 or FS3, even.

  6. #6
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,158
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Kinda curious why, as a new guy, you are looking exclusively at 150mm travel bikes, well except the Norco.

    You could save some money probably by lowering your sights to more trail-oriented bikes with 120-140mm travel.

    Also, I suspect you wouldn't be able to tell much difference between the Norco FS1 and the FS2 or FS3, even.
    A quality 150mm bike will be easy to learn on, hard to outgrow, and won't be a burden on most any trail system. It takes people a couple bikes to learn to avoid SRAM, that carbon is frivolous, seek out a reliable dropper, and other minutiae... but getting a bike that will enhance progression and last for years seems smart to me.


    edit- 5000 posts. geezus that's a lot of bullshit.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    A quality 150mm bike will be easy to learn on, hard to outgrow, and won't be a burden on most any trail system. It takes people a couple bikes to learn to avoid SRAM, that carbon is frivolous, seek out a reliable dropper, and other minutiae... but getting a bike that will enhance progression and last for years seems smart to me.


    edit- 5000 posts. geezus that's a lot of bullshit.
    I don't necessarily disagree, and it appears that OP has access to all manner of trails, but was interested in hearing OPs response.

    Not sure why I care how OP spends his money, but there's always a pretty good chance with a newb that the bike turns into a garage ornament and I tend to favor the less expensive garage ornaments.

    But, as you note, it "takes a couple of bikes . . . " for a whole lot of things, including figuring out how you like to ride and what you like to ride, in terms of trails and bikes, etc. So if we concede that OP is probably going to want a new bike in a couple of years (assuming he sticks with it), then why commit 3KCAD to something when there are more moderate options readily available.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree, and it appears that OP has access to all manner of trails, but was interested in hearing OPs response.

    Not sure why I care how OP spends his money, but there's always a pretty good chance with a newb that the bike turns into a garage ornament and I tend to favor the less expensive garage ornaments.

    But, as you note, it "takes a couple of bikes . . . " for a whole lot of things, including figuring out how you like to ride and what you like to ride, in terms of trails and bikes, etc. So if we concede that OP is probably going to want a new bike in a couple of years (assuming he sticks with it), then why commit 3KCAD to something when there are more moderate options readily available.
    There is a fine line here as the nicer the bike one buys, the more fun it is going to be to ride and the less likely it is to become a garage ornament. For beginners I typically recommend getting a good quality used bike as a great bang for your buck solution that doesn't result in them getting a poorly performing bike that they won't want to ride. When my wife and I were dating she started riding with me and riding one of my bikes and having a great time. When she went to buy a bike she gave me a miniscule budget that ruled out anything close to what she had been riding and SURPRISE!!!, she didn't like the new bike and didn't want to go for rides on it after having ridden something much nicer.

    I'd suggest to the original poster to find a shop that has rents some of these bikes or that has a demo bike in his size and see how he likes them. I ride a 2014 Stumpy 29" myself and it has been great on a lot of different types of terrain. As for the Trek, a Fuel is probably what I'd recommend and more comparable to the Stumpy. I demo'ed a 29" Fuel up in Bend a few years ago and it was a great ride. Nobody around here carries the other brands so don't have any familiarity with them.

Similar Threads

  1. New Bike for this guy.........first 27.5+ bike...
    By Coach529 in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2018, 04:18 PM
  2. First post here, first bike = 27.5+, need newbie advice
    By jigzacura in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-27-2017, 10:19 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-17-2017, 07:47 AM
  4. New Guy, New Bike, First Mod
    By Deadrock in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2015, 05:52 AM
  5. New old guy....ummm, old new guy
    By Sinker in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 09:14 PM

Members who have read this thread: 64

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.