New bike time- Mtbr.com

Thread: New bike time

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

New bike time

My 2013 Giant Trance x 0 is starting to need some real work and $$ put into it. Pivot bearings are creaking like crazy, cassette is worn and front derailleur is broken. I'd like a 1x12 drive, preferably xt, but the cost of changing the drive train, replacing the bearings and the dropper have me thinking it's time to hang it up and buy something new.
    I demoed a Yeti sb-130 last weekend in Wilmington, ny and liked it. Just not enough to drop $5k+ on it. It climbed great, and was great once I got moving, but it felt sluggish in tight turns and in really technical sections.
    I demoed a Ripmo af today and didn't like it nearly as much as the Yeti. It didn't climb nearly as well and while it was more playful and handled the techy stuff better I just didn't like the bike.
    I wish I could have demoed the Ripley and sb 140 instead of the bikes i got onto, but it's tough finding anything to demo these days. The other bikes I'm considering are a Tallboy or possibly even a 5010(I can get a good deal on a 2019 5010). Climbing is more important then descending to me. I definitely want a full suspension, probably 140mm or less.Trying to keep it in the $5000ish range.
    Any recommendations on bikes or more importantly any ideas on where I can hop on a couple new bikes? I know pickings are slim right now, but there have to be a few shops within a couple hours of Albany, NY with some demos.

Thanks
    Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Brand mew 2021 Trance X. 135/150mm just dropped. You can get in AL too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I saw the new Trance x was being offered. I'd consider it if they were offering it with a better build kit.

Part of my problem is probably that I've been on the same bike too long. I bought my Giant 4-5 years ago and haven't been on a different bike since them. The Yeti was such a different riding experience from what I know that I hated it at first. By the time I had covered 25 miles on it I was enjoying it a lot more.

I only had the Ripmo for 1 ride. I covered about 12 miles and unlike the Yeti it didn't start feeling better after a few miles. It was just too much suspension for the riding I do.

I'm really leaning towards the Tallboy. I've never been on a Santa Cruz, but the specs look good and their warranty is awesome. With such a lack of opportunity to demo anything these days I'm starting to think I should just buy a bike and make myself learn to like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mg448 View Post
    ...I'm starting to think I should just buy a bike and make myself learn to like it.
    The reality is you'll just "get used to it", and think you're liking it.

But I hear ya. A lot of people are in the market for a new ride... shops are empty... consumer directs are sold out... What to do? Maybe reconsider upgrading/updating what you have. Maybe not to the top tier you're after, but to something in the middle. Have some more fun with it, and then when shops are stocked, you'll have a nicer resale for cash on the new bike. That or keep it as a great backup.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Iíve had bikes with too much travel for where I ride. From what I remember, they werenít more difficult to ride but just dumbed down the trail too much. It doesnít sound like thatís what you experienced... could the new geo with longer/lower/slacker be part of what put you off? Who knows.

Iíd demo the new TB and if you feel itís slow and cumbersome, Iíd be guessing that itís the stretched out geo that is causing what you're feeling.

You may need to look at bikes with less extreme geo charts. The 2019 SC 5010 wasnít too progressive and could be perfect. All this is just internet hypothesis, you wonít know till you can ride a few.

Itís a tough time to buy a bike but even buying parts has gotten out of control. The same 11spd XT group I bought at Jenson a few months before the pandemic is now 30% more expensive. Still, Iíd upgrade the Trance for the time being and just charge a bit more when you sell it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I agree that I am probably having trouble getting used to the new longer lower slacker. And I felt that riding the SB 130. The more I rode that though, the better it felt. I just did not experience that with the ibis. It wasnít hard to ride I just did not like the way the suspension felt at all.
    The Yeti he came from a bike shop I trust. I feel like it was well set up and tuned for me. I have never dealt with the shop I rented the ibis from. I was not very impressed with them. And I feel like a big part of the problem with that bike was the suspension was way off for my weight and riding style.

Iím taking out a yeti SB 140 tomorrow. My wife just bought one of those and absolutely loves it. If I like it I will have to decide between that and the new 2019 5010 that I can get for $1000 cheaper than a new yeti. I wish I could demo a Santa Cruz bikes, but there is not a demo shop for them within four hours of me.

Fixing up the trance is not an easy option either. Iím having a lot of trouble finding The bearings kit for the suspension on my old one. I reached out to giant directly and I had the shop where I demoed the yeti reach out to the local giant rep. I have not heard back from either one.
    Last edited by mg448; 08-14-2020 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Giant, imo, has had more compact geo usually. So be open to sizing down from the size you're used to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I loved the sb140 I took out today. I wasn't sure about dropping down to 27.5" wheels, but they did everything I asked them to do. I ordered a 2021 in a large. c2 build. Should be ready to pick up by Friday!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    nice purchase...i was eyeballing the 140 also...i ended up going with the 2021 pivot switchblade. But you can't go wrong with the yeti.