New bike help, overwhelmed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

New bike help, overwhelmed

Hope you lovely people can help me out

Itís been years since Iíve been riding. Last ride was a very slick FS Trek with colors to impress anyone. She was a sweet ride that unfortunately was stolen (ex wife). Itís been years and finally have time and want to get back on the trails. Bikes and number of them has changed a lot and I have no idea where to go. This covid doesnít help being cant test ride at local shops.

here what Iím looking for: Iím 5/11-6í 155lb long legs. Riding preference is zipping down single tracks and taking the occasional off shoot trail that takes you through rocky/rooted trails with up and down hills and those lovely s climbs weaving through/around trees. I ride with two different friends, one loves techy trails that require leg muscle and laughing at people who canít follow him, and other friend loves riding very fast on trails constantly almost smashing bars into passing trees.

budget $2500, would like to stay under 2k but if I Buy local (specialized/trek believe main brands here) can finance and keep money in pocket and pay off slowly. This is nice because I make money by using my cash to buy/flip expand.

im thinking a HT bike so itís less upgrade needed and to build back my rider skills then a FS later on?

bikes Iíve looked at online Fuse, Stache 7, Whyte 905, Timberjack, Commencal the 2k version ht pro, and few others. The fuse, Stache 7 and Whyte really got my attention but I donít know Jack on geo, parts, or anything

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by YoitsMe View Post

Itís been years since Iíve been riding. Last ride was a very slick FS Trek with colors to impress anyone. She was a sweet ride that unfortunately was stolen (ex wife). Itís been years and finally have time and want to get back on the trails. Bikes and number of them has changed a lot and I have no idea where to go. This covid doesnít help being cant test ride at local shops.

here what Iím looking for: Iím 5/11-6í 155lb long legs. Riding preference is zipping down single tracks and taking the occasional off shoot trail that takes you through rocky/rooted trails with up and down hills and those lovely s climbs weaving through/around trees. I ride with two different friends, one loves techy trails that require leg muscle and laughing at people who canít follow him, and other friend loves riding very fast on trails constantly almost smashing bars into passing trees.

budget $2500, would like to stay under 2k but if I Buy local (specialized/trek believe main brands here) can finance and keep money in pocket and pay off slowly. This is nice because I make money by using my cash to buy/flip expand.

im thinking a HT bike so itís less upgrade needed and to build back my rider skills then a FS later on?

bikes Iíve looked at online Fuse, Stache 7, Whyte 905, Timberjack, Commencal the 2k version ht pro, and few others. The fuse, Stache 7 and Whyte really got my attention but I donít know Jack on geo, parts, or anything
    With that budget you could get a nice FS. If you're looking to finance I've ridden the 2019 Fuel Trek EX 8 and it's a great bike and I think it fits within your budget. Can't comment too much on HT's.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

New addict
    Jun 2016
    Lots of good hardtails for what you mentioned.

Diamondback Sync'r, Kona Honzo, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Nukeproof Scout all come to mind. They are all more aggressive than what you listed making them very capable descenders, and not half bad climbers. I personally am biased towards Diamondback but they are all fantastic. They are also available well below your budget and do not need upgrading.

As was mentioned already, you could get a pretty nice FS bike for that budget, especially if you were willing to finance. I would recommend calling the shops around you to see if they can set up some sort of test ride that is safe for everyone involved to get an idea on what you like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Add the Santa Cruz carbon Chameleon R build to your list.
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon
    I'd shop for 20% off list plus tax.
    S build DT370 rear hub can be upgraded to 350 ratchets.
    Santa Cruz has sold this named bike for 20 years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Add the Santa Cruz carbon Chameleon R build to your list.
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon
    I agree with this advice...and run 2.6 tires. Solid bike, lifetime warranty and Santa Cruz has a stellar reputation which equates to better resale down the line.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The new Specialized carbon Epic Comp at $2600 will take a 2.6 tire at the front and a 2.35 at the rear. 2.1 last year.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ep...ext=91320-5002

mtbr member
    Last edited by RS VR6; 04-23-2020 at 11:58 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would buy used, especially for an HT. You'll either get way more bike for your money, or you'll save a ton for similar build. The used market is flooded with killer deals these days. If you haven't browsed what's out there you might be surprised at just how much bike you can have for your budget. Or shop YT for new. Their pricing is tough to beat. Buying new from your LBS instead of direct sales is like buying bottled water at the airport over a grocery store.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    So Iíve been deciding between Trek Roscoe 7 2020 vs 2020 Fuse 27.5+.. if store letís me finance then Iíll go between Roscoe 8 and comparable fuse in price which believe is the comp.

I donít want to use my CCard and pay cash and local if can.

One store tried to sell me on a Cujo $1700 for 1500 out door but brakes were tuned bad, dropper needed a lot body weight to drop and shifter was put on low which made me not confident in who put it together. I rode Roscoe 8 in medium as had no large or no Roscoe 7 in stock. The 8 felt great, brakes were amazing and very quick stop and grip, and could hop and throw around very easy. They said can order Roscoe 7 or 8 and have here in 10 days or less.

Will be testing fuse today or tomorrow as local store just put a red fuse together yesterday and it is a large

Also if Roscoe considering m/l even though Iím sized for a L (5í11Ē long legs) for easier throw around

If wanted to use my card itíd be between Whyte 905, or Commencal or vitus sentier vrx

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by YoitsMe View Post

Stache is a great bike, I have the 5.....I'm currently building up a RSD Middle Child
    2020 Giant Trance 29
    2018 Jamis Dragonslayer
    2018 Orbea Alma
    1998 Trek 930

mtbr member
    Here's my suggestion: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod182815

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-...e-defined.html

It looks like a whole lot of bike for the price.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986