New Bike Discounts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

New Bike Discounts?

I understand there is some negotiating room on a new mountain bike purchase from a LBS. Roughly what percent off full retail is a good price? I'm looking in the 3K range. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just talk to a manager, salespeople may be required to tell you no discount is possible.
    15-20% + possibly 3% for cash at this time of year with 30-35% on last years bikes.
    You may have to talk to a number of shops to find a manager/owner willing to work with you to get the deal done.
    I would go in with a price out the door rather than asking for a % off. Figure where you need to be ahead of time.

Magically Delicious
    Open some dialog, begin discussion. That sounds like a place to start.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    A shop near me sells off their last years model Demo Bikes (often 'like new') for some killer deals, like 45-50% this time of year ! Something you may want to ask about / look into.
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Got my Specialized for about 40% off MSRP from an overloaded Specialized store at end of year clearance.

Got my Kona for 10% from the same store (cash discount) and felt pretty good about it, since they never went on sale.

I think you'll find overstocked big name bikes from brand-specific retailers who are overstocked are more likely to be deep discounted.

More importantly, don't get hung up on a few hundred bucks. Go ride.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

WillWorkForTrail
    Yep. Unless the prices on the tags are the same as the retail prices on the manufactures site, there's actually not a huge margin built into the bikes. It's not like the auto industry. You CAN get a discount, especially if you have a relationship with the shop. For a current year model bike that has a lower than retail price on it already, don't look for much more than 5-10%, and honestly, 5% is probably realistic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for the responses. There is extremely low inventory where I live so I'm going to look for about 15% off a new 2015 if they order it for me. There is a '14 demo I may see if I can get 40% or more off last years price. It's already marked down 30%.

Kyle, agreed. Once I'm certain on the bike I won't quibble over a couple hundred.

Thanks again.

Magically Delicious
    If the bike that you want has to be ordered, I would bet most negotiating bets are off. Discounts are best when the bike is being floored and they want to move it.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    If the bike that you want has to be ordered, I would bet most negotiating bets are off. Discounts are best when the bike is being floored and they want to move it.
    For a current model year, I disagree. The shop has zero risk on a special order bike if the customer agrees to a deposit.

Check out this thread from a couple days ago:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/di...ke-956879.html
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Well that is certainly true for cars. But the LBSs in my area have virtually NO MTB inventory (probably because it's Florida) . It seems they exist to service bikes and order new ones for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Bike shops generally sell at 30-35% margin. Most will let a bike go at 20-25%, 15% if it's been in inventory a long time.

mtbr member
    I bought a 2015 Giant trance SX last Oct. The price was $4050.00 and I took it home for $3600 including AZ state sales tax. That included some used flat pedals and water bottle cage. I felt like both side benefited.

Update: The Tempe bike shop I bought the Trance from is closed...... so maybe that's why I got a good deal.
    Last edited by maverickc_c; 03-26-2015 at 04:12 PM.