Which new All-Mountain bike?- Mtbr.com
    mxh
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Which new All-Mountain bike?

I'm looking for a new all-mountain bike - hoping to get some ideas or suggestions from those more across what's currently available.

I've currently got a 2015 s-works Enduro, which I thought might be my last 'analog' bike as I bought an e-bike a couple of years ago. But I'm finding myself more and more drawn back to riding the Enduro - I seem to get more of a sense of satisfaction from riding it than the e-bike.

So what am I looking for? Well, I'm not getting any younger (mid 50's now) so appreciate the lightness of the S-works (approx 27lbs). But I know that weight isn't the be-all and end-all, and that some bikes climb better than others. I don't think the Enduro is recognised as a great climber, so maybe a few extra pounds might be allowed on the new steed if it's hidden well.

And the terrain I ride isn't getting any less steep or rough (and I like to believe that I'm not slowing down ), so I also appreciate the relatively slack head angle and 160mm+ of suspension. I've always liked a large bike, even though I'm only 5'10, so I'm pretty sure the newer trend of longer / slacker will suit me just fine.

Wheel size - probably 29 as that seems to be the way it's going.

Forget budget for the moment - I can look at spec options to suit the budget once I decide on the right bike.

So what's out there that will fit the bill that I should be looking at?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You should demo the new S-Works Enduro. Wheelbase is quite a bit longer.
    The lightweight competitor if built the same is a Scott Ransom.

But maybe you'll have more fun with a little less travel on the terrain you ride. More challenge = more fun developing the skills.
    Manitou fork and shock can be tuned to give you more out of less travel.
    Scott Genius build.
    This guy can help you.
    https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/

WillWorkForTrail
    If you're going to look at bikes that will climb and land solidly into a long travel enduro style bike, for sure take a glance at the Pivot Firebird and the SC Megatower. I've ridden them both, and they definitely do a thing. That said, I know a guy who is a huge Ransom fanboy. And I'd get lynched by a certain group of friends if I didn't mention the Intense Carbine. Pretty sure Guerrilla Gravity has something for you to look at too. Lots of good stuff. Just need to find the one you like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    To add some basis for my recommendation to go to a lower travel bike--

You had the easy comfortable choice in your e-bike. And you choose the Enduro for some reason other than comfort/ease.
    Probably for the fun and challenge.
    You can retain your Enduro.
    Go with less travel with a bit less comfort but even more challenge/fun.

mtbr member
    I'm biased towards Guerrilla Gravity and The Smash would work great for what you want. www.ridegg.com

That said, you're looking at a category of bike that is really chocked full of incredibly good options. If there is a shop near you that offers demo rentals, then that would be a great start. Much of this will come down to personal preferences and I doubt many suggestions here will help without actually trying them out.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mxh
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You should demo the new S-Works Enduro.
    I did have a look at the specs, but if I'm realistic, it's probably more bike than I need. And even the S-Works model was quoted as 31.5lbs - definitely seems to be built for speed down the hill rather than trail work.

I'm sure the Scott is a good bike, but I can't bring myself to do it again. I bought a Genius a few years back (2013) and whilst the Twinlock idea was great, the crappy 'Nude' shock, and general rubbish spec on what was billed as a top end bike made me vow never again! And I see they're still going with the 'Nude' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Go with less travel with a bit less comfort but even more challenge/fun.
    My local trails are pretty techy, and whilst I know a smaller travel bike could handle them (in the right hands), having a bit in reserve gives me the confidence to tackle stuff that I might otherwise baulk at. But I do understand where your coming from, just not sure I want to go there!

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I'm biased towards Guerrilla Gravity and The Smash would work great for what you want..
    Never heard of them before, but that looks like the sort of thing that may be just what I'm after. Only problem is demo-ing one as I'm in Australia, so may have to stick with something more mainstream.