New 2018 Jamis Dragonslayer vs 2009 Yeti 575- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2020

New 2018 Jamis Dragonslayer vs 2009 Yeti 575

I have almost no experience on "real" mountain bikes. I have been riding a 24" BMX with light dirt jumping and trail style riding. A good friend has moved up to a modern 27.5 hardtail and wants me to join the fun.
    I am really close to pulling the trigger on a Jamis Dragonslayer hardtail but just saw a really clean 2009 Yeti 575 for a decent price.
    Any voices of wisdom and experience as to which to go for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What's your budget? Maybe we can recommend something better than both of those with that in mind. Do you have a strong preference either way for hardtail or full suspension?

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    What's your budget? Maybe we can recommend something better than both of those with that in mind. Do you have a strong preference either way for hardtail or full suspension?
    I am staying in the low-moderate budget for a hardtail, the Yeti just popped up used. I am not going to spend for a new FS bike for sure. I have read about how popular the Yeti 575 was, and really would like to hear from people who have been on one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If the 575 isnít $500 or less, pass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    If the 575 isnít $500 or less, pass.
    What are your thoughts on why?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Itís an 11 year old bike, no big deal there at face value if itís not been beat to hell. But, if not weíll maintained you could have a lot of maintenance costs in near future. Wheel bearings, shock and fork seals/damper service, brake bleed, etc. if you can do this work yourself it cuts costs significantly. If a mechanic is needed, your talking about $150 just to service the suspension.

Now this work could be needed on a 3 year old bike also. The difference is that it could be harder to find parts for the 11 year old bike.

Iíd find a friend who knows bikes and have them look it over closely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The Dragonslayer is sweet. If it was going to be my only bike, I would look for something a little lighter, maybe a Stache. A diamondback Syncr can be had pretty reasonable. I actually like hardtails, and I think you would dig a 27.5+ hardtail.
    Gman
    2020 Giant Trance 29
    2018 Jamis Dragonslayer
    2018 Orbea Alma
    1998 Trek 930

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    What tier Dragonslayer?

My only "real" bike is a 2017 Dragonslayer Pro that I got new last year for $700 off because it hadn't sold, and I absolutely love it. Full disclosure: I'm a terrible rider with no interest in crazy downhill or big jumps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by looks easy from here View Post
    What tier Dragonslayer?

My only "real" bike is a 2017 Dragonslayer Pro that I got new last year for $700 off because it hadn't sold, and I absolutely love it. Full disclosure: I'm a terrible rider with no interest in crazy downhill or big jumps.
    2018 Pro, 26+ 3" tires, more than $700 though. Where did you get yours?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Nomad Cyclery in San Francisco, but $700 off, not $700 total.

slow
    I am very pleased with the quality of my Jamis. I picked up a used 2008 Dragon 29 for next to nothing almost 2 years ago and have put thousands of miles on it including Monarch Crest, the 401 in Crested Butte, a lift served day at Trestle, several sections of the Colorado Trail, and a 3 day bikepacking trip on the Kokopelli Trail in the past year. It has been low-maintenance, durable, and trouble free.

I much prefer hard tails or rigid bikes because there is less to maintain and I don't have to worry about suspension parts becoming obsolete.

Professional Crastinator
    I demo'd a Dragonslayer. It was a very stable bike. It was a nice bike. But if you come from a BMX background I think you'd find it too stable; not poppy; not "playful".

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    "Stable" is an excellent way to describe the Dragonslayer. Before buying mine I demoed a Salsa Timberjack, and it was much easier to toss the nose around and get it off the ground. But I'm not sure how much of the Jamis' heavy front end is due to the longer than current industry standard 80mm stem. Or it could just be the fact that it weighs 32 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I am in love. Got my 26+ Dragonslayer Pro home tonight at 5:00, headed for the hills and couldn't stop riding til dusk. Good timing for daylight savings! Gained new confidence jumping, got a nail in my tire and pulled it out and pumped it up and kept riding. Sold on tubeless tires! Dropper post is no gimmick, really useful. I admittedly don't have a lot to compare it to but will say I felt like a kid again. The rigid fork on my 24" cruiser was beating me up a little, the Fox fork and 3" tires make this a plush ride, and the 26 doesn't feel as unwieldly to me as the 27.5 I tried. Took about 30 minutes to really get to know her but now I am all in for the Dragonslayer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What size you get and which 27.5 did you try out prior?

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlake Crisis View Post
    I am in love. Got my 26+ Dragonslayer Pro home tonight at 5:00, headed for the hills and couldn't stop riding til dusk. Good timing for daylight savings! Gained new confidence jumping, got a nail in my tire and pulled it out and pumped it up and kept riding. Sold on tubeless tires! Dropper post is no gimmick, really useful. I admittedly don't have a lot to compare it to but will say I felt like a kid again. The rigid fork on my 24" cruiser was beating me up a little, the Fox fork and 3" tires make this a plush ride, and the 26 doesn't feel as unwieldly to me as the 27.5 I tried. Took about 30 minutes to really get to know her but now I am all in for the Dragonslayer.
    Cool! Enjoy the bike.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    What size you get and which 27.5 did you try out prior?
    I am 5' 11", got the large frame with 26+ 3" tires. The 27.5" I tried was a very nice XL frame Nukeproof Scout with 2.6" tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am 5' 11", got the large frame with 26+ 3" tires. The 27.5" I tried was a very nice XL frame Nukeproof Scout with 2.6" tires.
    Perhaps that could be the reason you felt that way regarding the unwieldy feeling on the Scout as it was an XL along with the significantly slacker head angle. I'm considering the Dragon as well, do you think you can fit a 27.5 x 2.8 tire in the Fox fork? I'd be interested in running a 27.5 plus in front with with either the stock 26x3 rear or a 27.5 x 2.6.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    If you're nervous about clearance you could just go with the 27.5+ DragonSlayer which comes from the factory with 3" tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would, however price is considerably higher.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

Making the most of the California Lock Down

Good times. Hope you all are well!
    New 2018 Jamis Dragonslayer vs 2009 Yeti 575-dragonsalyer.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Good times. Hope you all are well!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragonsalyer.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	1318683
    Sweeet machine, I picked one up, this one's a keeper.
    Gman
    2020 Giant Trance 29
    2018 Jamis Dragonslayer
    2018 Orbea Alma
    1998 Trek 930

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Revisiting my upthread comments about my DragonSlayer's playfulness vs. stability, I have since swapped the oem 720mm/5mm rise handlebars and 80mm stem for 800mm/15mm and 60mm, respectively, and it feels great: much lighter, sprier and more precise, yet hasn't lost any of its feel of stability or being planted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by looks easy from here View Post
    Revisiting my upthread comments about my DragonSlayer's playfulness vs. stability, I have since swapped the oem 720mm/5mm rise handlebars and 80mm stem for 800mm/15mm and 60mm, respectively, and it feels great: much lighter, sprier and more precise, yet hasn't lost any of its feel of stability or being planted.
    I switched to a shorter 45mm stem and moved the seat back a little and think it was an improvement. Love this bike!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

Dragonslayer

They don't call it the Dragonslayer for nothing
    New 2018 Jamis Dragonslayer vs 2009 Yeti 575-dragon.jpg

EDR
    I am staying in the low-moderate budget for a hardtail, the Yeti just popped up used. I am not going to spend for a new FS bike for sure. I have read about how popular the Yeti 575 was, and really would like to hear from people who have been on one.
    Sorry a little late to the game here but I have owned three 575 s. A 2005, a 2008 and then finally a 2012 replacement frame for the 2008. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every bike. Bombed it all over Phoenix and Moab, Colorado and everywhere else I could take it. That being said it was kind of outdated even when I was still riding them. For me it required aPUSH tuned Fox shock to keep it from wallowing in its travel and making it a pig on seated steep climbing. It just sagged too much in the mid stroke without the custom tuned shock. But it was smooth as hell going down and could gobble up the chunk with the best of them in the lightweight frame category. It excelled in the chunk and chatter while still being light enough and fun enough for every day trail riding.

Fast forward to Christmas 2018 and I bought a new mojo 3. After riding it a few weeks I hopped back on my old 575 and was just blown away on how awkward it all felt. That modified single pivot suspension gave it kind of an endless travel feel but cannot even come close to comparing to the DW link of the mojo when it comes to everyday riding. Anyhow it's a cool bike but I its days have passed. For a couple hundred bucks it would be a steal and fun to ride in good shape though. Sounds like you've moved, on good luck. Fwiw I sold my 2012 bike a year-and-a-half ago with mostly XT and x9 components, a lyrik coil fork, dropper post, PUSHed RP23, and mavic tubeless wheels for a grand. I did okay on that sale.

you can't compare it to a hardtail though. Two completely different experiences. And keep in mind I considered myself a pretty hardcore mountain biker most of the time I was riding these bikes. I did my best to make the most of them. If you're new and on smoother trails I think you made the right choice.