Need an opinion on GT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Need an opinion on GT

So I'm in the market for a new full suspension mountain bike. I currently have an antique...a Norco NX1000...it has served me well but it's time to say good bye. So I've been shopping around and man! the prices of full suspension bikes has really gone up! Mind you it has been a long time since i've been looking. So during my research I'm seeing ads for GT. They aren't sold in any bike shops around here (New Brunswick, Canada) but they get reasonable reviews on different sites (like this one as a matter of fact). The model I was looking at is the GT Verb. Comes in three levels. The Comp, the elite and the expert. The comp is the one i was looking at....specs are:
    • FRAME
    • Frame: 6061-T6 Aluminum Frame, 120mm Travel Independent Drivetrain® w/Forged Linkage, Pivots, 1 1/8" -1 1/2" Integrated Head Tube, and 135mm QR Dropouts
    • Rear Shock: All Terra AO-42 AR, 6.5"x1.5", Air Shock, w/ Rebound Adjust
    • Fork: SR Suntour XCM, 120mm, Coil
    • Internal Cable Routing: No
    • DRIVETRAIN
    • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tourney
    • Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore, 31.8 clamp
    • Shifters: Shimano Acera, 2x9
    • Rear Cogs: Sunrace, 11-34, 9-speed
    • Chain: KMC Z99, 9-speed
    • Crank: All-Terra Zephyr, 36/22
    • Bottom Bracket: Cartridge Sealed
    • COMPONENTS
    • Front Brake: Shimano MT200 hydro disc, 180mm RT10 Rotors
    • Rear Brake: Shimano MT200 hydro disc, 180mm RT10 Rotors
    • Brake Levers: Shimano hydro disc
    • Headset: Semi Integrated, Cartridge Bearing
    • Seatpost: All Terra 6061 Alloy, 31.6 x 400mm
    • COCKPIT
    • Handlebar: All Terra Alloy Riser, 15mm rise, 9° sweep, 5° rise, 760mm
    • Stem: All Terra 3D Forged Alloy, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 31.8, 7°
    • Saddle: All Terra MTB
    • Pedals: GT Slim Line Flat Pedal
    • Grips: GT Statement2 logo grips
    • WHEELS/TIRES
    • Rims: Alex ASD10 Alloy double wall Disc, 32h
    • Front Tire: WTB Ranger Comp, 27.5 x 2.25", DNA Compound
    • Rear Tire: WTB Ranger Comp, 27.5 x 2.25", DNA Compound
    • Tubeless Ready: No
    • Front Hub: Formula QR
    • Rear Hub: Formula QR
    • GEOMETRY
    • Top Tube: Small - 565mm / Medium - 601mm / Large - 635mm
    • Seat Tube: Small - 430mm / Medium - 460mm / Large - 490mm
    • Stack: Small - 580mm / Medium - 588mm / Large - 597mm
    • Reach: Small - 432mm / Medium - 450mm / Large - 469mm
    • Standover Height: Small - 737mm / Medium - 744mm / Large - 751mm
    • Head Tube Angle: 68.5°
    • Seat Tube Angle: 73.5°
    • Chainstay Length: Small - 440mm / Medium - 440mm / Large - 440mm
    • Bottom Bracket Drop: Small - 15mm / Medium - 15mm / Large - 15mm
    • Head Tube Length: Small - 90mm / Medium - 103mm / Large - 119mm
    • Wheelbase: Small - 1096mm / Medium - 1125mm / Large -1156

So this bike goes for about $1400 Canadian plus tax...only sold at SportChek (big box sports store)...is it basically an overpriced walmart bike or is it something worth looking at?

​Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    If you ride on gravel fire roads or smooth tracks this might be fine, but if you do jumps and fast aggressive trail riding this is not going to work (as the shimano tourney and mt200 are not trail worthy compnents to be honest) will fail quickly and you will be spending a large sum of money upgrading the parts.

At this price range you can find a medium-high spec'd trail hardtail with much better components.

however, if you are selecting full suspension due to a particular reason (ie: comfortableness), then go for it but just ride it gently and smoothly.
    good luck finding your next bike

mtbr member
    ^^^ agree. It's not utter garbage like most Walmart bikes and the price is appropriate for what it is, which is a bottom rung brand name FS bike suitable for easy trail riding. A new HT at that price will be more capable. Some may suggest looking at used bikes, that can work well if you're experienced enough to evaluate and deal with what you're looking at, or you get lucky.
    Do the math.

mbtr member
    You cannot buy a new full suspension bike that is worth owning for 1400$.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for the replies...In my travels I did find a Giant Stance 2 that seems to have some worthy components as well as a much better rep...any thoughts on this bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjlar View Post
    Thanks for the replies...In my travels I did find a Giant Stance 2 that seems to have some worthy components as well as a much better rep...any thoughts on this bike?
    Again it depends on where you ride and how you ride.
    Yes the stance 2 has much better components. Or you can buy a used trance if you know what to look for.

mtbr member
    Components still would have you wanting... here is a good drivetrain and suspension that won’t give retail remorse... https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=226096-154261

mbtr member
    So on most bikes under ~3k the quality of the suspension is the most important feature. At 1500$ i'm not convinced a full suspension bike has better suspension than a hardtail with a good fork. People who buy entry-level FS bikes to ride singletrack frequently outgrow them and start upgrading piecemeal or selling it for something nicer. A hardtail with a modern-ish geometry doesn't necessarily become totally redundant if a nicer FS bike is added to the stable.

If your goal is to ride muni paths a FS is a poor choice. If you wanna occasionally ride beginner/intermediate singletrack and not really focused on skills progression it's an excellent choice.

The stance 2 is a dramatically better bike than that GT, but that doesn't mean giant is inherently better than GT. Giant put together a better package at this price point.

The specialized has marginally better drivetrain, but the giant has a pretty decent dropper post, equivalent suspension (yes, really), and is several hundo cheaper. I'd give the nod to the giant.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    So on most bikes under ~3k the quality of the suspension is the most important feature. At 1500$ i'm not convinced a full suspension bike has better suspension than a hardtail with a good fork. People who buy entry-level FS bikes to ride singletrack frequently outgrow them and start upgrading piecemeal or selling it for something nicer. A hardtail with a modern-ish geometry doesn't necessarily become totally redundant if a nicer FS bike is added to the stable.

If your goal is to ride muni paths a FS is a poor choice. If you wanna occasionally ride beginner/intermediate singletrack and not really focused on skills progression it's an excellent choice.

The stance 2 is a dramatically better bike than that GT, but that doesn't mean giant is inherently better than GT. Giant put together a better package at this price point.

The specialized has marginally better drivetrain, but the giant has a pretty decent dropper post, equivalent suspension (yes, really), and is several hundo cheaper. I'd give the nod to the giant.
    I totally agree, in addition, the stance does not use the STANDARD Giant Maestro Suspension but is a single pivot design. It has a lot of flaws as It uses some frame flex when hitting bumps on the rear wheel and a few people are experiencing broken chainstains on the giant Stance.
    In addition to the Specialized Stumpjumper, I have included a some other bikes under $2000 that may fit your budget if you are willing to spend a couple hundred more; they have significantly better pivot designs and components than the stance in general.

Giant Trance 3 ($2000)
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-3
    great bike, maetro design, 150mm travel

diamondback release 1 ($1799)
    https://www.diamondback.com/mountain.../release-1-d41
    150mm travel, similar to trance 3 but with cheaper brakes.

diamondback clutch 1 ($1799)
    similar bike to the release 1

marin rift zone 1 ($1599)
    29in wheels, 120mm recon fork, with lower end components than above

also the stumpjumper st that was already suggested.

These bikes in general have good quality components, although some carry lower end brakes. You can upgrade the brakes for a cheap price however.

You can get them for cheaper than the price i've listed as some are RRP; or you can also get the 2018 models which will be on discount.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks so much for the info. Much appreciated and will take it all into consideration. Not sure if there is a dealer near me that carries the diamondback line but will definitely give it a look. Thanks

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for the info. Much appreciated and will take it all into consideration. Not sure if there is a dealer near me that carries the diamondback line but will definitely give it a look. Thanks
    DiamondBack is direct sales so you order it from them and they ship to your house. As a DB Release owner...I'll say the bike is not without faults but it's an excellent bike none-the-less and depending on what trim you get...a great deal. Mine is a 2017 and I paid $2250 and got a great component package.

Buddy of mine is on a Marin B-17 1 that he got cheap during the Performance Bike closeout. It's a really decent bike. Could use a shock upgrade for sure. Eventually new wheels and probably fork once he really starts bashing things with his bike. But for getting started and as a first FS bike...it's great. Is you are by change a size small I saw a Marin B-17 3 for sale recently for around a $1500 new. If it was my size I would jump on it.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    You cannot buy a new full suspension bike that is worth owning for 1400$.
    Full price new I agree. But there are deals out there sometimes. And definitely check the used market.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Full price new I agree. But there are deals out there sometimes. And definitely check the used market.
    Agreed. It was a broad statement, but it's helpful to see a broad statement like that isn't really controversial. OP will develop his own preferences over time if he really adopts the sport. Most of them will be wrong.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    OP will develop his own preferences over time if he really adopts the sport. Most of them will be wrong.
    I think we've all been there...done that. Have the shirt.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1