Need advice on bikes - Overwhelmed with information- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need advice on bikes - Overwhelmed with information

So overwhelmed with the amount of info on the Internet.
    So many rankings.

Found some threads for this forum that were really good (like the funny thread about the mongoose Walmart mountain bike, which i almost bought for 100$ than Walmart sells, until i saw this).

Really need a sturdy bike. I am in South Florida, bike trails have some rocks with flat trails. This is most stressful terrain to encounter.

I really would like to spend up to 1,000$, for a sturdy, 29".

Please help !

WillWorkForTrail
    I wouldnít overthink it right now. Go to a real bike shop, any bike shop, doesnít matter what brands they sell. Tell them you want a hard tail and what your price range is, and see if they have anything thatís your size. If they do, buy it and ride it. Right now, many bikes are completely sold out or unavailable because many people have suddenly decided to ride a bike with all the free time they have since they canít work. So donít get picky. Get a bike.

mtbr member
    ^^^ totally. You might want/need to call ahead for an appointment ... and put your mask on. At this price point, all major mfgrs are pretty much the same and have solid HT 29rs. REI is also an option...
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There's two paths. You've got the just get whatever is available and ride now.
    Tough today because so much is sold already and out of stock. Not a lot of return for your $1k. Like throwing it away, imo.

Or the other thoughtful option. Determine what's better and search or wait as necessary.
    ^^those guys have given you the first.
    I'll take the second.
    I'd want Boost hubs and fork. 30mm inner rim wide wheels with space for 2.5 x 29 or 27.5+ 2.8 tires on wider rims.
    An air fork. 68 or less head tube angle with 74 or so seat tube angle. 450+ large reach. 435 chainstays or less.

There are bikes that match these specs. Most will be hard to find without a wait now.

Specialized Fuse 2020 27.5+ is one. Not a 2019 with the old frame.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fu...ext=96020-7001
    Nukeproof Scout 29 Race from CRC is another. 4 day shipping free no tax when it returns to stock. Get on the email notification list.
    Scout 290 Race 2020 | Nukeproof

Bikes like these can last you longer and handle upgrades down the road.

mtbr member
    thank you so much for the replies ! Greatly appreciate it. I even came across a used Specialized that you suggested eb1888, not as fancy, for 450$ (bike is worth 300$). It seems so many people are selling about 100-200$ more.
    It seems I have to spend 700$ to even get something close. The fact that so little is available for a 1k price range, just makes me want to save my money and invest in buying a better bike. Like a 2k Viathon.

Thank you for suggesting to go to the local bike shop. I think I will do that come Tuesday.

If I dont find something I like from visiting, I am going to just buy a Viathon from Walmart for 2k and just invest in the carbon bike. All reviews for this bike are pretty good. The local shops are all overwhelmed with orders/have no stock/are closed to catch up on orders. There is one shop nearby that has great ratings and is really friendly, going to give them a look and hope they have something better than Viathon.

mtbr member
    Viathon is a solid choice, but IMO, carbon is the last thing to spend money on. Spending money on better components will make much bigger difference in your ride. If you're mechanically self-sufficient and competent, and happy researching things on the web and taking the time to find and order parts and tools, fine, but you may also find the support of the local bike shop to be of value if riding is the top priority.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    https://www.fezzari.com/mountain-bik...h-peak-comp-29

Saw this the other day while browsing their site after ordering a Abajo from them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Whoa. I like that save for better idea. Long-term it saves you a lot.
    Don't worry about needing the help of your local shop guys. They'll always be helpful. At least that's what I've found whether you bought from them or are doing your own thing.

Viathon-
    https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gea...-hardtail-mtb/
    Not the geo I'd want. Too XC old school.

Santa Cruz Chameleon carbon is more like it. Compare.
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/chameleon

mtbr member
    such a good bike! My only problem is that it arrives 8-10 weeks Gah i saw on the news that bike sales are up 133%.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Whoa. I like that save for better idea. Long-term it saves you a lot.
    Don't worry about needing the help of your local shop guys. They'll always be helpful. At least that's what I've found whether you bought from them or are doing your own thing.

Viathon-
    https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gea...-hardtail-mtb/
    Not the geo I'd want. Too XC old school.

Santa Cruz Chameleon carbon is more like it. Compare.
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/chameleon

Thank you so much !! That was a very thorough review ! The main point I drew from it was the angle of the bike was not the most favorable for descent. However, i do plan on putting a lot of mileage on this bike on a very flat Florida surface. Very easy trails, with not a single hill. So the idea that it was more for cross country hardtail, really appealed to my potential use.

I dunno why but i really fell in Love with this bike. I read the entire Owners manual, and searched every review i could find on the web.

Finally decided to go with the Viathon M.1 X01 Eagle Carbon Mountain Bike, Large. Which retails for 3,500 but i was able to pick up for 2,098.

Although the Santa Cruz option was a good one, only 3 places near me carry it, and they are by appointment only and i cant verify inventory online. Viathon also has a really good customer service backing it up (they were open on Memorial Day and talked to me about sizing today. Very courteous). I called today as a joke, and couldnt believe someone picked up.

There is a really cool trail near me that I am going to check out, Balm Boyette Scrub Preserve (I only walked the entire place before, never with a bike lol). Will post a review on this bike after some good miles

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    if you've considered bumping your budget to 2k~ then at least consider the Giant Trance 3 (2020) either 27.5 or 29er at $2100... it is a really nice bike fs bike for $2k~ish...

I have for various reasons a composite trance 2 adv... however if I'd been paying full price I'd have had the Alu frame trance.

I'm 50yrs old now... and I have ~nearly zero desire to ride a hard tail .. as no part of my body can take the beating a HT would give on trails...

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-3

however people aren't wrong.. if you want ride NOW... you may have to just see what people have in stock and take what you can find...

in my location I just checked and the nearest trance 3 in my size (XL) is nearly 400~miles away..