Ride On

Myth Cycles Custom Hardtail

I've been on the hunt for a new hardtail for a long while. During this time I did a lot of experimentation, testing wheel sizes, fork travel, tire sizes, geometry with angle sets and sliding chain stays and of course a lot of online reading and poking questions at other hardtail aficionados (thanks to those who helped answer my questions). Almost 2 years later I started to look for something that met my requirements, I was asking for a lot; 27.5 x2.8 to 29x2.6 tire clearance, super short chain stays with sliders, off trend BB height, slack yet short fork travel etcÖ Not surprisingly nothing existed on the market that met my needs, though BTR came close. So I started looking at custom builders; Curtis, Starling, Naked (to name only a few researched) were all contenders at one point. Then I came across Eric Tomczak of Myth Cycles. Being a sucker for traditional triangle frames, I really like his clean and simple design aesthetic. Based on a couple of his recent builds I knew he was capable and keenly aware of the unique requirements around fitting larger rubber into frames and I dug that he seemed to get the special characteristics of a hardtail. After a short ďis what Iím asking for crazy or possibleĒ email thread I placed my order. Eric is awesome to work with, Iím not sure if I qualify as his most anal customer but to say I had some ďspecific needsĒ would perhaps be a small understatement (hey I had been planning this for nearly 2 years)! We went back and forth on design and several CAD iterations later arrived at the build spec:

Myth Cycles Custom Hardtail-myth-custom-final.jpg

At first glance it looks like a few off the shelf modern hardtail frames on the market but there are a few key features that make this special for me. The BB height at 40mm drop is higher than common but not as high as a Kingdom . Given I run 165mm cranks my effective clearance will be the same as a Kingdom if I ran the more common 175mm length (they have a 30mm drop) but I get a slightly lower height which affords me the ability to run 29x2.6 wheels and end up at the same BB height as my OG Krampus; highish but totally acceptable as the primary application when Iím running that wheelset will be bike packing. The other unique design feature is the head angle relative to the fork travel. I donít like long travel forks on a hardtail, but I do like a slack head angle for the gnarly terrain we ride locally. With a 120mm fork I enjoy a fairly slack 64.5-degree head angle (static) yet I maintain the geometry consistency ride quality I prefer, using a shorter fork. ThoughÖ the numbers still allow for a 130 fork while keeping things in the right places. A lot more thought and design went into this frame than those two functions alone (I think we discussed standing cockpit vs seated cockpit the most) but I think Iíve bored most folks reading this enough at this point.

Speaking to the build itself I canít say enough good things, Ericís attention to detail and craftsmanship are excellent. From the pointed drop outs to the diamond bottle mounts to the lushishly gorgeous powder coat. If I was a single man this bike would hang as art on my living room wall when it wasnít putting grins on my face in the woods.

Happy to answer any questions.

Still not quite done but here is the new sled.

Myth Cycles custom.

Myth Cycles Custom Hardtail-p1106932-copy.jpg
    Myth Cycles Custom Hardtail-p1106935-copy.jpg
    Myth Cycles Custom Hardtail-p1106941-copy.jpg
    Last edited by geraldooka; 5 Days Ago at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice job. I like it! Nice color scheme; the saddle really works with the paint.

I went through a similar process two years ago and ordered a semi-custom BTR Ranger. It's everything I hoped and more.

So when can we get a ride report?
    Curious how tall you are?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post

Myth Cycles custom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1106932 copy.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	1232873
    Nice stance. I look forward to seeing that in person.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hn View Post
    Nice job. I like it! Nice color scheme; the saddle really works with the paint.

I went through a similar process two years ago and ordered a semi-custom BTR Ranger. It's everything I hoped and more.

So when can we get a ride report?
    Curious how tall you are?
    Thanks. Re BTR nice! I was very close to ordering one of those I think Tams welding is one of if not the best in the business they produce works of art.

I'm dealing with a man cold at the moment but hopefully will have this on the trails within a week.

I'm 5'7.5" with a 31" inseam and a shortish torso.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I love it. Feel free to write at length about the details, I would enjoy reading it. Looks perfect for down south riding, and I'll bet it can handle almost anything. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

WillWorkForTrail
    Thatís dead sexy.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks. Re BTR nice! I was very close to ordering one of those I think Tams welding is one of if not the best in the business they produce works of art.

I'm dealing with a man cold at the moment but hopefully will have this on the trails within a week.

I'm 5'7.5" with a 31" inseam and a shortish torso.
    Actually Burf is the welder. Tam does design and most of the public facing stuff. But I agree, they do great work.

Thanks for the dimensions. That should be a good fit for you. My frame has a reach of 490mm, but I'm 6'1". It's the first bike I've ever owned that did not feel cramped.

Good luck recovering from your cold. Looking forward to a ride report.

mtbr member
    I heard there may be more hawt accessories that go with this bike? Don't hold out on us!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On
    Ah right! Well Burf is highly skilled to be able to produce welds that tidy, truly amazing.

Ride On

I do have a couple of cool treats that I ordered with the frame for bike packing applications. I look forward to putting them through their paces this year! At the rate of one trip a year I expect these will last me a very very long time... Iíll post some pics as soon as I can take em.
    Last edited by geraldooka; 1 Week Ago at 10:26 PM.

mtbr member
    I got to see this machine in person yesterday. As Borat would say "Very Nice!" Geraldooka will be unstoppable!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Looking forward to a ride report and hopefully some action photos.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Ride On

The weather gods have been good to us the past few days. Despite not feeling 100% yet I had to get out. My son and I hit the trails Sunday to enjoy this spring like weather.

I've been off bike for nearly a month so it was great to get back into the woods. Trails have been hammered hard with torrential rain over the past while and evidence of this was everywhere, exposed rock, enlarged ruts, mini lakes posing as puddles. Typical winter trail changes for Victoria.

To be honest I was a touch nervous about how the bike would ride, did I make the right choices, will the BB be too high and feel awkward, would the head angle be too slack and annoy the crap out of me on climbs? Was the stem too short?

Thankfully none of that came to pass.

The BB height was so nice, particularly given the even more exposed rock, I'd describe it as luxurious, it wasn't a completely pedal impact free ride but I'll chock that up to being off bike for too long and the fact that though they are thin these OneUp pedal are BIG in platform area. The bike cornered fantastically despite the higher BB, I suspect any loss of stability from the higher BB was offset by the significantly slacker head angle and longer wheelbase than my test mule N9. As an aside these OneUp pedals are bloody fantastic, particularly if you prefer a more mid-foot position.

The head angle was a complete non issue. The moment that sintered into my mind the most was during a relatively steep climb the type where one has to normally flip thumbs to the top of the bar and drop ones chest I turned around to see where my son was at and removed my left hand from the bar as I swung around... In an oh shit moment I realized I probably shouldn't have done that, except, nothing happened. Not only did the steering remain stable but I was able to sit more upright and still track straight up. This with a 30mm stem and an 800mm bar (I haven't cut the bar to my preferred 780 yet)! So freakin cool. I'm not totally surprised by this but the feeling was more pronounced than it was on the N9 and I expect this would be even better with a slightly lower bar. All I have in this great bar (and finish) is the 30mm rise.

The Myth was smoother than the N9 and still felt playful and fun which was one of my goals for this bike.

So far I'm ecstatic! I look forward to the next ride.

Myth Cycles Custom Hardtail-snapseed-copy-2.jpg
    Myth Cycles Custom Hardtail-img_0911.jpg
    Myth Cycles Custom Hardtail-img_0913-copy.jpg
    Last edited by geraldooka; 5 Days Ago at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike!! Sounds like you've got the sweet spot for your kinda riding.

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike. Would love to hear more on your thoughts regarding geometry. I donít think we will be bored.

cmg
    passed out in your garden

Myth Cycles custom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1106932 copy.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	1232873
    that bike makes my pants tight

as pictured it looks like 27+ mode, am I correct?
    always mad and usually drunk......

Ride On

Thanks for the complementís peeps.

It is currently running a NN 3.0 Speedgrip rear and MM 2.8 Soft. I have a lot of tires... bins full of them. On the test mule I ran primarily Maxxis Rekon DC 2.8 and DHF DC 2.8 which I really like as a combo. This Schwable combo was not love at first ride but I'm liking them more the more I ride them. I actually prefer them at a higher relative pressure than I would run the Maxxis set. Still this bike will see all types of tires over its life I'm not dogmatic about it.

I firmly believe there is no single "right" geometry, I find arguing about it to be a completely asinine activity. Even low bottom brackets in terrain where clearly a higher bottom bracket would make riding it easier, I say ďfill yer bootsĒ. Everyone has different tolerance levels, terrain, body shapes, fitness, style etc.

Perhaps I had too many goals swishing around in my head for it but its two primary use cases are bike packing and trail riding.

Letís talk about the topic de jour; front centre (FC) and rear centre (RC). This design is not as long as I could comfortable go and still maintain a comfortable seated position (in trail mode). It is pretty close though. I wanted the bike to be balanced; stable enough yet still nimble and playful, I was not looking to have a downhill sled built.

I consider reach as a resultant dimension, meaning; it is what it is based on other factors not as a primary design dimension.

In this case I determined my ideal seated cockpit length and seat angle first with commonly available parts (I didnít want speciality stems or bars). I used a 30mm stem and a wide 8-degree sweep mtb bar, I actually prefer even lower sweep bars like Renthal but hey POLISHED SILVER!! Itís important to consider sweep in bars relative to seated cockpit because it can change the length by a large amount, the difference between a 15-degree bar and a 7degree bar in my inventory is 40mm in reach! Itís also important to consider bar height or saddle to bar drop particularly with slacker head angles. On this 64.5-degree head angle adding a 10mm spacer under the bar shortens the cockpit by 5mm. Beyond this I still wanted a bit more FC given I had effectively maxed out my cockpit length and seat tube angle steepness the only other way to do this was to slacken the head angle and put the wheel further out.

Another cockpit length consideration is how the bike would fit in bikepacking mode. For long days on the bike I wanted to have the ability to shift the seat back and run a higher rise bar with more backsweep (or run spacers under the stem with a Jones bar). Not stretching my seated cockpit to the absolute max I could handle in trail mode gives me flexibility to make changes like bar and even longer stem selection.

As for RC I wanted it in the diminishing popularity of crazy short. Honestly this was an easy decision with sliders I have the ability to adjust the RC to suit from 415 to 435mm which provides a bit of a safety line. I already knew I liked short as the N9 were even shorter (if only by a couple mm). As a shorter individual with a shorter torso relative to length I find the short RC lets me pull off emergency drops more easily than a longer one. Additionally, in my terrain many of the technical climbs require standing maneuvers where I still need traction and having that rear wheel closer to me helps maintain that when I get off the seat and lose all that extra weight on the rear tire.

So far Iíve only been referring to static geometry numbers because its simpler but hard tail geometry should really be analyzed at sag, because (as some of you already know) a hardtail (unlike full suspension bikes) pivots forward on the rear axle which dramatically changes the geometry figures. Here are rough sagged figures for this bike.

HTA: 65.5
    STA: 76.5
    WB: 1170
    Reach: 456
    ETT: 602
    BB: 307 from 315 (with a 710mm diameter wheel)

Speaking of wheel diameter donít believe published numbers, measure them yourselves. Ask someone to measure your bb height with you on the bike bigger rubber like the 2.6-3.0 are not necessarily taller than 2.3-2.5 especially when you factor in tire sag.
    Last edited by geraldooka; 4 Days Ago at 03:12 PM.