My Enduro bike is so good its making my rig redundant!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My Enduro bike is so good its making my rig redundant!

What a first world problem I have!...

I mainly ride the rig on gnarly as natural mountain tracks that are steep walk, climb up and bomb down. The tracks have some steep as gnar in them thats awesome on the rig.

But I'm faster overall on the track on my enduro bike. The rig handles the extreme gnar sections better, But everywhere else on the track the enduro kicks arse.

Plus the enduro bike is light as and goes up better. Overall the total ride experience is better.

I also hit the all the bike park structures and jumps on my enduro bike now too that used to be rig only material.

Argh!

What a problem to have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    What a first world problem I have!...

I mainly ride the rig on gnarly as natural mountain tracks that are steep walk, climb up and bomb down. The tracks have some steep as gnar in them thats awesome on the rig.

But I'm faster overall on the track on my enduro bike. The rig handles the extreme gnar sections better, But everywhere else on the track the enduro kicks arse.

Plus the enduro bike is light as and goes up better. Overall the total ride experience is better.

I also hit the all the bike park structures and jumps on my enduro bike now too that used to be rig only material.

Argh!

What a problem to have.
    Sounds like the enduro IS the rig! Awesome dudespeak BTW. Extra points for the xtreme gnarly vocab.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post

That's why the UCI urban DH race in Valparaiso was won on an enduro bike. There were too many sections that required pedaling for a DH bike.

mtbr member
    That's great. What bike is it?

mtbr member
    I think you might have just discovered why the enduro category of bikes exists.
    Do the math.

Out spokin'
    Time for an e-bike! Next level!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    What is a rig?

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    What is a rig?
    Downhill bike

mtbr member
    My enduro is a Rocky Slayer running 180mm fox 36 and 165m x2 at the back
    Rig is a 26" intense 951 with world cup boxxers and fox coil rear (I cant remember the model)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I feel the same way. I used to ride mostly a XC/ trail bike ( SC 5010)as my main bike on most rides. I test rode and bought a Turner RFX, 170mm FR/ 160mm RR, and pretty much gave up on my other bikes, in fact, I gave my wife the Santa Cruz 5010.
    I just love how the Turner rides. The RFX is 5lbs heavier than the SC, but it climbs better and descends like a DH bike.

The SC 5010 is still an awesome bike though, my wife loves it.
    EXODUX Jeff

monster member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I feel the same way. I used to ride mostly a XC/ trail bike ( SC 5010)as my main bike on most rides. I test rode and bought a Turner RFX, 170mm FR/ 160mm RR, and pretty much gave up on my other bikes, in fact, I gave my wife the Santa Cruz 5010.
    I just love how the Turner rides. The RFX is 5lbs heavier than the SC, but it climbs better and descends like a DH bike.

The SC 5010 is still an awesome bike though, my wife loves it.
    Ha ha! Funny the different perspectives. I test rode a 5010 and could tell it was a great bike, but seemed little more on the enduro end. I was looking for a xc/trail bike. :-)

OP- Anywhere there's ANY pedalling, I'd think the enduro is better. I wouldn't want to do anything with a DH bike except go DH. They seem ridiculous. May as well just take a CRF-450 moto-crosser with 12" suspension and not start the motor, just coast dh with the wide heavy tires at 12psi and the big suspension and brakes. Obvious exaggeration but I wouldn't want to ride a DH bike. Anyway, used MXers are probably about the same price as new DH bike, so at the point of wanting a DH bike, just by a mxer. Big air is so easy on a mxer.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Wheel speed, I chose years ago. No engines for my sports. Which i dont regret. So no moto for me. If i want to boost stupid big i go kitesurfing. I can boost bigger than moto kitesurfing. An 10m high 50m distance jump is easily achievable kitesurfing!

Back to the rig. I agree the rig is only for going down on black + runs. But even those runs have a mix of super tech an tech. What i'm saying is even on the black plus runs my enduro is freaken awesome! Last night i was hitting structures. That dudes on their rigs were *****ing out on! Oh yeah.

Now that said. Even though i'm loving the Slayer the rig still has its place. And that place is hitting the stupid tech and doing new crazy stuff you want a bit of safety net. If you get to something that silly that you go to hospital if you stuff it up bad then unrollig the rig out and punching it first on the rig is awesome. Also if you ride the rig often enough it increases your eyethometer of what is possible to do. So rig ridding is worthy.

But i have ridden pretty much all the lines on my rig locally and got that rig eye dialled. Now i'm taking the enduro to the steepest gnarly as tracks that i once only considered rig worthy and low and behold i am keeping up with my buddies on their rigs. Those buddies are not slower than me when they ride their enduro bikes either.

I do admit the super tech is freaken more fun on the rig. Just punch it with reckless abandon and hold a line down the stupidest of offcamber rooty steep sections and marvel at the traction!

Ahhh, Tis a great first world problem!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    I wouldn't want to do anything with a DH bike except go DH. They seem ridiculous. May as well just take a CRF-450 moto-crosser with 12" suspension and not start the motor, just coast dh with the wide heavy tires at 12psi and the big suspension and brakes.
    Have you ridden a DH bike or a national level DH race course? I don't really understand your comment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Back in the late 90's, early 2000's, I used to own a DH bike, loved it, but it was pretty much limited to either lift assisted trails(which I have a couple of miles away) or a shuttle.
    I did take it out on xc trails every once in a while for my DH training(10 mile loop with 1000' elevation gain).
    DH bikes are very specific but are capable andgreat at what they are made for. My Turner is a lot better than my DH bike from 20 years ago.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Back in the late 90's, early 2000's, I used to own a DH bike, loved it, but it was pretty much limited to either lift assisted trails(which I have a couple of miles away) or a shuttle.
    I did take it out on xc trails every once in a while for my DH training(10 mile loop with 1000' elevation gain).
    DH bikes are very specific but are capable andgreat at what they are made for. My Turner is a lot better than my DH bike from 20 years ago.
    You are right, the Enduro bike of today is better at descending that the dh bike of old.

I raced dh nationally from 98 to 05. The tracks I'm riding now easily on the Enduro were considered extreme and almost too steep and tech for the rig of the day.