Looking for Saddle for trails and Commuting?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Looking for Saddle for trails and Commuting?

I want a comfy life lasting saddle that allows comfort riding on road for commuting and weekend AM riding. Looking at Brooks (who doesn't) .

I use a XC/AM hardtail 26" with raceking 2.2 currently for commuting.

meow meow
    no one can tell you. your best bet is to try a few out or get fitted. i like wtb and spec saddles but people rave about brooks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Recently found a Fizik Arione saddle w/Ti rails on CL for $40. New. Couldn't pass it up as it gets great reviews and is normally ~$120. So far, its great and a huge improvement over my Bontrager Select (stock with my bike). I'm an XC rider, long days, and some bikepacking so I wanted something that could go the distance for 4+ hour rides (and sometimes with a pack on my back). This thing is super comfy as the wings flex with you. And its light as a feather. I would recommend it.

I had my eye on a Brooks as my dream saddle (B17 narrow), but the best deal I could find was $85-90 on e-bay. Not bad for a Brooks, but still too much for me. Still it would certainly outlast my bike and possibly me. If you have the bills to pay for it, I would go with a Brooks. Otherwise, I tend to peruse CL and then search items of interest plus "review" to see what people have to say about them. Loves me some internets for stuff like this. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had a great deal on a Brooks Swallow Titanium (one of my dream saddles) and i couldn't stand it! Most uncomfortable thing i ever sat on. For my AM hardtail which i also commute on i have a Selle Italia NT1 and it's lovely, nice padded nose when you move forward on it. I like it so much i put one on my Nicolai too. I had to try a LOT of saddles to find the right one though....

Rogue Exterminator
    WTB Pure V seems to be one of the best bang for the buck
    I went to get it for myself and they were out so I picked up the Speed V and I am very happy with it.

I wasn't going to get the Speed V but I was at REI and the guy said try it and if you don't like it, you can return it. I love REI's lifetime satisfaction guarantee policy.

So I would say if you want to try out a few, go to REI if you have one local.
    You can also order it at their website and return it at a store if you don't like it.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Speed V. I have swapped mine on every bike I have owned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Charge Spoon. Cheap, light, quite comfortable. It's been on three different bikes so far, currently lives on my trail bike.

www.derbyrims.com
    The WTB Volt, the $60 version. The most comfortable saddle I've ridden on rough trail and commuting to work, after prior decades each finding increased comfort on Laser-V, "turbo" types, Brooks types.

Commuting in Levi's and briefs is not a problem at all on the Volt.

Rogue Exterminator
    There was saying we had years ago when I sold cars.

"There is a butt for every seat"

It seems to hold more true here then ever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

wtb speed v

+2 on the speed v! I've had mine for five months and I love it, comfortable in bike shorts or khakis

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadger View Post
    I had a great deal on a Brooks Swallow Titanium (one of my dream saddles) and i couldn't stand it! Most uncomfortable thing i ever sat on. For my AM hardtail which i also commute on i have a Selle Italia NT1 and it's lovely, nice padded nose when you move forward on it. I like it so much i put one on my Nicolai too. I had to try a LOT of saddles to find the right one though....

how much time did you give it? i hear they need like a month to break in and get comfy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I used to hv wtb rocket v, too narrow, 130mm, my butt didnt like it. So i swapped with wtb speed v, butt loves it, it is 145 mm. So pay attention on saddle width. Im still looking for saddle with min 140mm and under 200 gr And under $100. My speed v is 360gr. I may try those carbon saddle off ebay.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    how much time did you give it? i hear they need like a month to break in and get comfy.
    Apologies for the tardy reply, it was Christmas!
    Yes, you do need to give them time and i did (about 3 months, riding 5-6 days a week). It just didn't suit my backside at all. Also, once they are broken in you only have one comfortable position so if you move on it you will feel it. I can see it working on a road bike but not MTB (for me at least) as i move around a lot on my saddle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ISM Adamo Peak. I put one on my bike over a year ago and it's super comfy. It took a few rides to set up correctly, but it's amazingly comfortable - even on 6 hour ball-busters. It's a bit heavy though - I think the claimed weight is a tad over 300g., and I never weighed mine before putting it on, but I don't really care. I bought it without having tried it though - based on some reviews that I had seen. Why not try one of those demo deals where you pick a couple saddles? For a pretty reasonable fee, they ship your choices to you, you try em out, then send the demos back - usually there is some credit given toward your ultimate purchase, too.

Members who have read this thread: 0