mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Looking for perfect bike

So Iím in the market for a new or pre owned bike. I have a ton of biking experience and am competitive and pretty fast too, been riding for over 30 years counting bmx. Problem is Iíve only owned a few mountain bikes, a 2002 specialized enduro, frame broke and they gave me a 2013 s works stumpy fsr I built up which has 140mm of travel. I feel like I could use more bike but not as much as an enduro. Does anyone have any recommendations ? I plan on trying to demo bikes but I will most likely buy used. I live and ride in Ogden Utah with trips to ski resorts and Moab. Most of my riding is pedaling up to ride down. I also like to hit our bike park which has some big hits. Only one bike to rule them all. Help me out!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    a big question will be what is your budget?

Personally the style bike I would be looking at would be at 29ers with about 140mm of rear travel paired with a 150mm fork, like the Guerrilla Gravity The Smash or transition sentinel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ah the eternal question. :-)

My personal answer is the Santa Cruz Bronson. Only 10mm extra rear travel than your Stumpy (20mm up front), but that belies the extra descending ability that comes with newer school geometry. That's particularly true of the V3, but the V2 is also a serious bike and can be found used/discounted.

I ended up with a Bronson because I stumbled across a good deal on it, but really a bunch of bikes in that category are pretty amazingly capable these days. The Yeti SB6, Trek Remedy, Pivot Mach 6, Kona Process 153 and Transition Patrol are all all mountain bikes that I could see both riding big days and at the bike park. I'm sure there are lots of others and that's just focusing on models with 27.5 wheels (due to your BMX background).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ride a 2014 29" Stumpy and love it but don't do park riding although we do have some flow trails locally with some jump lines, etc. that I'll ride it down no problem. The big hoops are definitely not as easy if you want to whip it around and hit jumps but the 27.5" version has a bit more travel if you want it. I know you say you don't need as much as the Enduro but I know a number of people that absolutely love their Enduros and ride them exclusively on everything from epic XC rides to jumps and park type riding.

WillWorkForTrail
    Park capable that you can pedal up hill? GG smash all day. Unless you can pony up for a Firebird 29....

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the Yeti 5.5s. I even have a frame only I'm putting on the market next week, but basically they sold tons of them, they are amazing bikes, and since the new Yetis have been released there are some great deals out there on them.

mtbr member
    How tall are you? What wheel size? The perfect bike for me (long days up, tech/steeps down) was a new Transition Patrol. If you buy used, I'd stick to the brands that have stellar warranty support like Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Wanting 27.5 wheels mostly because Iím a motocross guy and enjoy the fun flickable snap and in air playfulness. That said I donít have seat time on any other than 26Ē. Iím 5-10 and 200#. Really thinking of a transition patrol. My budget is loose but looking for best deal to be had.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    If you buy used, I'd stick to the brands that have stellar warranty support like Santa Cruz.
    No one warranties 2nd owner bikes, unless they're just feeling really generous that day. I've heard of it happening, but certainly wouldn't count on it. More importantly when buying used, you need to research the bike you find, and see if it had enough failure reports to discount the purchase.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by codyrapoza View Post
    Wanting 27.5 wheels mostly because Iím a motocross guy and enjoy the fun flickable snap and in air playfulness. That said I donít have seat time on any other than 26Ē. Iím 5-10 and 200#. Really thinking of a transition patrol. My budget is loose but looking for best deal to be had.
    It likely won't tick your deal box, but the Trek Remedy definitely ticks all the others. The 2019 model is all new and killer.

mtbr member
    You can get an orbea, which would be awesome. Or you can get a different brand, which would probably be terrible. Orbea > all

Bikes today are so much better performing than bikes of even just a few years ago. You can get a longer travel bike now that climbs better than a shorter travel bike of a few years ago. Its a great time to be bike shopping, and basically every brand offers up a stunning performer.

I held off from getting a bike with a 160mm fork for so long. I regret waiting, I feel like ive given up so little and gained a lot. With 150mm out back and 160mm up front, its still a great all day, climb everything bike. I rode 125/125 bikes for years and im not missing out.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    If you are looking at a 27.5 enduro bike then look into the GG megatrail (it can switch between 150 and 165 rear travel with the moving of one bolt), plus the same frame can be made into a mid travel bike (135/145 rear travel) with a change of a shock. Plus if you want to move over to the 29er The smash you can keep the front triangle and chainstays and swap out the fork, shock, seat stays, and wheelset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Great now Iím wondering about the scout! Sounds like it might be a great bike for me as I like to dissect the trail rather than plow through. If I got the scout though how much different would it really be from my stumpy? Worth changing rides over? I know the right answer is I just need to ride the bikes to see, and thatís my plan after this research phase

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Looking into gg megatrail as well. This search has got me thinking about putting a pike or the like on my stumpy and keeping it for trail work and getting a patrol or the like for more aggressive days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You should choose wheel size down the road a bit after some demoing. Evil Offering is the first model with their new geo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    No one warranties 2nd owner bikes, unless they're just feeling really generous that day. I've heard of it happening, but certainly wouldn't count on it. More importantly when buying used, you need to research the bike you find, and see if it had enough failure reports to discount the purchase.
    I've heard multiple reports of SC completely replacing old second hand frames which is why I mentioned them... as opposed to a brand like Yeti who think their sh!t doesn't stink. I hope you mean "discount the purchase" in a consideration context as opposed to a reduction of price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It should be fun choosing a new bike but man there is so much to consider and so many bikes and flavors. Dang!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    I've heard multiple reports of SC completely replacing old second hand frames which is why I mentioned them... as opposed to a brand like Yeti who think their sh!t doesn't stink. I hope you mean "discount the purchase" in a consideration context as opposed to a reduction of price.
    Dont count on SC replacing a second hand frame, they wont. Every company has weird rare exemptions, but if you buy a used 5010 that someone drove into their garage door and cracked the top tube, SC isnt going to touch it!

But thats why used prices are so much less than new. No warranty. Almost all my bikes have been used, and im a huge fan of buying that way, but buyer beware.

That said, most frames these days dont really crack regularly. Quality is up quite a bit. I cant think of a modern frame that is a known cracker.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

mtbr member
    I didn't realize we were talking about driving into garages and trying to warranty them. OP, FWIW I now will only buy new considering I've broken every frame I've ever owned (1 exception) and often it becomes an expensive headache as a second hand owner. Your mileage may vary.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I cant think of a modern frame that is a known cracker.
    Canyon Spectral has been in the news for just that. There's still plenty of bad designs out there.

EAT MORE GRIME
    just spend your max budget on a Giant factory build

you cannot really go wrong doing this.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    just spend your max budget on a Giant factory build

you cannot really go wrong doing this.
    Giant seat angles are rubbish for people with short femurs. It drives me crazy because their warranty, pricing and spec levels are so good and the bikes work really well for everything else. Long climbs screw my back up though, even with the seat pushed all the way forward on the rails.

mtbr member

mbtr member
    So Iím in the market for a new or pre owned bike. I have a ton of biking experience and am competitive and pretty fast too, been riding for over 30 years counting bmx. Problem is Iíve only owned a few mountain bikes, a 2002 specialized enduro, frame broke and they gave me a 2013 s works stumpy fsr I built up which has 140mm of travel. I feel like I could use more bike but not as much as an enduro. Does anyone have any recommendations ? I plan on trying to demo bikes but I will most likely buy used. I live and ride in Ogden Utah with trips to ski resorts and Moab. Most of my riding is pedaling up to ride down. I also like to hit our bike park which has some big hits. Only one bike to rule them all. Help me out!!!!
    So

- Advanced rider, bmx background
    - Visits bike park
    - 30s or 40s
    - hasn't broken a stumpy in >3 years
    - rides in utah rocks
    - typically rides 'enduro style'
    - has not ridden anything vaguely modern

I make these assertions

- favors a more progressive bike in general, but can probably shred on and old 'short' bike (bmx, enduro style, happy with stumpy)
    - durability is a factor, and he's going to stress the frame in strange ways, but smooth, not destructive (bmx, hasn't broken much, stumpy)
    - Impact resistance is nonetheless an important consideration (utah rocks)
    - weight is a consequence of budget and needs (bike park, bmx, enduro, used)
    - needs to test ride a smartly designed enduro bike (bike park, bmx, enduro, vaguely modern)
    - avoid low low low bb (utah rocks)

from which i draw these conclusions

- avoid transition, and possibly other PNW brands. Xlow bb height is obnoxious in the rocks (transition owner here)
    - test ride modern bikes before you start shopping
    - test ride enduro bikes
    - quality alu is preferable to carbon, in general (rocks, weight is second to function)
    - the best stuff 4 years ago could be an amazing deal (hasn't broken much, bmx background)
    - suspension function is important, moreso than travel or bling cockpit/wheels/etc (bmx, experienced, favor durability)

That's all i got. 29 can be flickable or whatever; that has more to do with frame design than wheel size unless you're short. The GG recommendations seem sensible. Don't see much reason to recommend the most premium brands like yeti over someone like canfield or GG.

The used market is a totally different thing where you have to factor asking price and wear in to the equation. If you're a decent bike mech you're in the perfect position to make the most of an older ride though.

Have fun!
    Last edited by scottzg; 1 Week Ago at 12:51 AM.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    So many good bikes out there these days. Get out there and ride some.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    Giant seat angles are rubbish for people with short femurs.
    'Someone with short femurs' is incredibly rare in the real world. It has something to do with growth hormones, but i'm not a botanist so i can't offer the details. Generally if you have short femurs you have a short tibia/fibula... and even if you don't then most common seat angles put your knee in the same place. Whatever. Giant's seat angles are pretty conventional and you should be able to find a comfortable saddle position, even if it means going up/down a size.

If not, you may be able to find this with adaptation. I've been able to gradually scoot my saddle forward almost 2 inches after severing 95% of my patellar ligament by gradually moving forward as my knee adapted to the position.

Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    So I took the demo patrol out today to corner canyon Utah. It owns the bike park. Inspired my to rally double black which Iíve not done very well on my current bike. It climbs like a goat. Time to come down the flow trail. It gobbled up all the big boy lines looking for bigger more gnarly obstacles. Eating up my little poppers as if they werenít there. And thatís the problem, I now know exactly what too much bike means. Bottom line is it rips but for me I donít live in BC and I donít hang at deer valley ski resort riding lifts much to the big parks. I love that but thatís not what I ride mostly. Oh and I hopped on a buddies 29er and I think I need a 29Ē. Looking to demo a smuggler prob in spring. That might be the bike I need. Iím not only looking at transition but I like the way they run the company. Still open to other manufacturers especially if I can find one to ride first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Scottzg. Youíd think we were old riding buddies with all that. You hit the nail on the head!!! So slip me some bikes I need to try!! Iím most likely going used and here in Utah the used market is huge. Want to go a year or 2 old, I did pedal strike a couple times on the patrol but they were minor and I think I could live with that it didnít bother me much.

mbtr member
    Scottzg. Youíd think we were old riding buddies with all that. You hit the nail on the head!!! So slip me some bikes I need to try!! Iím most likely going used and here in Utah the used market is huge. Want to go a year or 2 old, I did pedal strike a couple times on the patrol but they were minor and I think I could live with that it didnít bother me much.
    I don't really know the bike market that well, actually. I know you can get canfield toir frames for 1k right now in small and medium, and they're totally up your alley. Assuming you're <5'10. I'd also be intrigued by the banshee spitfire builds you can find on jensonusa. You gotta play the used market by ear- you can't go looking for bike X year Y build kit Z cuz that combination will be really rare.

I'll reply again if i have anything insightful to say. The patrol is a pretty long bike for its class (i have an older one and it's plenty long enough for me and the new one is much longer). Don't dismiss the whole category.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov