Looking for next new bike questions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Looking for next new bike questions?

I know all of you or most of you get the newest and baddest bikes every 1 year or 2 years, but I am not like that, I do not race I am out to get better in the woods and have fun! Like I said before I ride a Fat Bike all season long. It has been great for me getting me back into this fun activity and seeing the wooded areas again! I have recently started to Jump again but small stuff, brings back my BMX days back in the 70s! I think I wanna jump something huge but I cant get hurt LOL Oh Snap I just told my age, I don.t need to go screaming fast I was also considering finding a FS fat bike to smooth the roots in the summer, but trying to spend 3k is hard to find I don't need Carbon they just feel strange to me. I know I like 27.5x3.0 tires it just seems hard to go small again! I know I want a dropper post. I am on the search any tips is great appreciated!

I have been looking at FS bikes'
    Jamis
    Canyon
    Specialized
    Salsa
    Framed
    Borealis
    Fat Boy SE now with new Hope Hub new Threaded Bottom Bracket

https://www.flickr.com/gp/jpactivity/n9H2Q9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Palladini View Post
    I know all of you or most of you get the newest and baddest bikes every 1 year or 2 years...
    NOT!

I do not race I am out to get better in the woods and have fun!
    This is I think most fall into.

... trying to spend 3k is hard to find
    It can be done, and is every day.

Your list of bikes includes Canyon, a consumer direct. Consumer direct is one way to get more bang for your buck. before my last purchase, Canyon's Spectral with 2nd on my list. 3rd on my list was YT's Jeffsey. Ultimately, I went with a Whyte T-130. All great bikes. It came down to fit and feel.

I've been riding dirt since the '70's as well, and the biggest thing that has changed, even beyond all the tech bells and whistles, are the variances of how bikes fit. Used to be just about all brands and models fit more or less the same. Heck, there was a time you couldn't hardly tell the difference between a "10 speed" road bike and a "mountain bike" frame. These days, with all the variables in different geo specs, how one brand/model fits over the next can be pretty drastic. My long winded point is, you have a list of bikes you're considering with the features you want. You gotta ride 'em and see if they provide you the fit and feel you're looking for. The catch there for consumer directs is, how to you try them out? The better direct brands offer ~30 day money back, no questions asked, deals. Or, find one at the trail head as ask to try it out.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    fredcook, thanks man, I am looking and yes riding them would be the best what about if I found an older model like this?
    https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ke-2015-medium

or this https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ke-2018-medium
    Fat Boy SE now with new Hope Hub new Threaded Bottom Bracket

https://www.flickr.com/gp/jpactivity/n9H2Q9

mbtr member
    I know all of you or most of you get the newest and baddest bikes every 1 year or 2 years, but I am not like that, I do not race I am out to get better in the woods and have fun! Like I said before I ride a Fat Bike all season long. It has been great for me getting me back into this fun activity and seeing the wooded areas again! I have recently started to Jump again but small stuff, brings back my BMX days back in the 70s! I think I wanna jump something huge but I cant get hurt LOL Oh Snap I just told my age, I don.t need to go screaming fast I was also considering finding a FS fat bike to smooth the roots in the summer, but trying to spend 3k is hard to find I don't need Carbon they just feel strange to me. I know I like 27.5x3.0 tires it just seems hard to go small again! I know I want a dropper post. I am on the search any tips is great appreciated!

I have been looking at FS bikes'
    Jamis
    Canyon
    Specialized
    Salsa
    Framed
    Borealis
    You're capable of jumping big stuff, you've been around forever, you're open to big bouncy tires and their significant advantages/disadvantages, you're comfortable with BMX super short bikes, and you're slightly out of date ('carbon feels strange'--- carbon doesn't automatically feel like anything). I, and most all of us, aren't going to be able to tell you what you'll like.

Modern bikes are amazing, but if you're used to bikes that are 94% perfect, a bike that's 95.3% perfect will be worse if it doesn't gel with your instincts.

Narrow things down and it gets a lot easier.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov