Looking for aggressive trail bike ideas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Looking for aggressive trail bike ideas

Starting to look for my next bike, have been riding my Bronson V2 for three years and it has been great.

I am looking for something up to date in terms of reach and seat tube angle, but want to stay in the trail bike category as I enjoy both climbing and descending. I guess my riding style would be an aggressive slasher type, I love to lean the bike over and pick my line through the trail hitting any available features.

I am 5í4Ē so I am gravitating to a 27.5 bike with the Yeti SB140 at the top of the list at the moment, although some of the shorter travel 29ers look interesting, just donít know if I could through the bike around as much given my height.

Other than the SB140 are there any other bikes you would recommend?

mtbr member
    v3 bronson, 5010, canyon spectral are some I can think of, but the sb140 looks pretty sweet in the 27.5 wheel size!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Thanks. From what I have heard the Bronson v3 has moved more into the enduro market, I would gain better descending capability but would lose on the poppyness and pedaling efficiency of the v2 bronson.

5010 definitely hits the shortlist, I wonder how it rides compared to the v2 bronson as it has near identical HA of 66, wheelbase is very close, although the reach is longer and chainstay shorter. Definitely on the shortlist.

Canyon spectral is out, I donít understand how they can spec a 425 mm seat tube on a small frame, no way am I going back to a 100 mm dropper!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Some of these short travel 29ers are definitely interesting, would love to try this one and the Norco Optic. Unfortunately demos in size small are virtually non-existant...

Question for the shorter riders out there, are any of you with a very active riding style as comfortable throwing around a 29er as a 27.5?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasbiking View Post
    Some of these short travel 29ers are definitely interesting, would love to try this one and the Norco Optic. Unfortunately demos in size small are virtually non-existant...

Question for the shorter riders out there, are any of you with a very active riding style as comfortable throwing around a 29er as a 27.5?
    Iím not a shorter rider, but Iíve got a friend whoís probably around 5í5Ē who rides a Transition Smuggler. He is faster than anyone.

mtbr member
    Iím 5í5Ē and ride a Medium hightower v2, but I donít really care about moving the bike around as I do going fast downhill very well planted and stable, for my style of riding I have no problems with the M Hightower v3, but itís not a playfull bike but Iím also not a playfull rider!

If you are worried about playfullnes I think the sb140 is a very good candidate as well as the 5010.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    New Transition Scout looks really nice. I think Transition is putting out some of the best looking frames in the industry right now.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    That is a beautiful bike, would definitely be on the list if they had good seatpost insertion. Banshee has a tall seat tube for a small frame and the seat tube is interrupted for their pivot making it difficult to fit a decent dropper. Many manufacturers have finally realized this and moved their pivot outside the seat tube. Maybe v4!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    don't overlook and underestimate the Ripmo V2/AF - OR the Norco Optic and Niner Rip 9 RDO... all great 29er options.

Rider
    HD5, Mach 5.5, Mach 6 all pedal awesome and reward hard riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Having no experience with any of the bikes mentioned. When I read your post the first bike that popped into my head was the 5010.
    Paul

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Maybe take a peek at

YT Jeffsey
    Revel Rail
    IBIS Mojo HD5
    If EVIL updates the Calling, that could be a contender for sure

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Evil calling was on the list, especially iif updated. I have been waiting to see if they release an update for 2020. Donít know when evil releases new models typically, although covid may impact.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    don't overlook and underestimate the Ripmo V2/AF - OR the Norco Optic and Niner Rip 9 RDO... all great 29er options.
    The norco optic has been stuck in my head along with the yeti. The optic may be a great second bike if I were to hold on to my bronson as it fits in a different category. I hear that it is very playful and likes the rough, but the 29 inch wheel makes me hesitate.

The fact that it is a Canadian brand is a bonus.

mtbr member
    The Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg would fit the bill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Will give you alternative if its deliverable to Canada - Nukeproof Reactor 27.5, you got it in ALU or carbon, choose equipment according to your budget. You can get reviews on youtube

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Looking for aggressive trail bike ideas

Canyon spectral
    Commencal meta

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    The Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg would fit the bill.
    Wow, the shred dogg is one long bike! The reach on the small is 458mm, which is the reach on a large 5010!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Revel Rail should make the list for how well it pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasbiking View Post
    Wow, the shred dogg is one long bike! The reach on the small is 458mm, which is the reach on a large 5010!
    Keep in mind that the GG bikes also have a pretty steep seat tube angle which tends to shorten things.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986