A little something about road cyclists- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A little something about road cyclists

I have one Roadie in the office, making fun out of him evolved into images. Familiar images.

Dear mountain bikers and dirt lovers, I present to you:

THE ROAD CYCLIST

http://road-cyclist.tumblr.com/

(this is not meant to offend our brothers in arms, just to, you know, poke them a little)
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

My spelling is atroshus
    In spite of better judgement, I clicked on that. I found it to be mildly entertaining. The hardcore cat 2 roadie in my office did not share my cander.

meow meow
    ehh

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I hate to admit it but I went to the dark side and bought a cheap road bike to stay in shape for mountain biking. I can ride it in the winter and in the summer after work. I swore to myself that this would never happen. Although I wear baggies and a camel back when I ride it.

Embarrasing!

Blue Pig
    Bought a road bike to stay in shape for mountain biking?
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Road biking is great for building endurance and you can ride the road when the trails are too wet to ride which is over half the year for much of the country. A friend of mine used to ride mountain bikes professionally and he said that 60% of his training was on a road bike.

The cartoons were enough for a small smirk but the lead in had me expecting more

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Roadies can have the pavement in whatever flamboyant style they want to, I'll take the trails.

Unless you get feet of snow or its in the - temperatures, I really don't get the whole "putting it away for the winter" thing. It's not a yacht.

Where's the All Road forum?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtec
    Unless you get feet of snow or its in the - temperatures, I really don't get the whole "putting it away for the winter" thing. It's not a yacht.
    Most (not all) trails are damaged when ridden on while they are muddy, which is most of the winter for most of the country. Those who build and maintain the trails we ride appreciate the consideration.

My spelling is atroshus
    I'm actually getting ready to pick up a caad10 so I can extend my riding.

T.W.O
    Roadies can have the pavement in whatever flamboyant style they want to, I'll take the trails.

Man your a dumbass. Maybe you don't live in a region where you have bad winters or bad drainage. But if the trails aren't iced over or frozen and you ride them when they are loose, wet and muddy you are just going to totally **** the trails up.

Here in Michigan at my local trails we have bad drainage and we have to wait a little bit longer for the trails to get into "rideable" shape. If you bust your ass cleaning up the trails I bet you would think twice about riding them when they aren't meant to be ridden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

My friend, you cannot ride a lot of trails in Colorado in the winter without damaging them due to the higher altitude. Yes, Green Mountain, Matthew Winters may be ridable at times but they are packed as hell given everything else is unridable. Unfortunately, Colorado has riding seasons unlike your lower altitude Washington. Appreciate what you have.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    why is that confusing? what better way to stay in biking shape than actually bike?

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    why is that confusing? what better way to stay in biking shape than actually bike?
    I'm thinking about getting a cheap road bike just for shits and giggles to ride on when my trail is messed up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    I'm thinking about getting a cheap road bike just for shits and giggles to ride on when my trail is messed up.
    Watch out, it can be a gateway drug! My good local trails are closed much of the winter so this year I built up a cheap rigid 29er with semi-slick 40c cross tires as a sort of hybrid bike that is fun on gravel and fire roads but still works very well on the road. Next thing I know I'm going on road rides to try out some local hills and enjoying it a lot. Then I get invited by friends to go along on a 75 mile tour next month and actually think it sounds enjoyable. What's next! That said, this bike won't see nearly as much action once the trails finally open

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have both a cyclocross and a road bike in the stable, along with an all mountain hardtail and full suspension.

Mountain biking is a destination sport. Most people actually need to go somewhere to ride trails. This takes time. for me being in the city, it usually involves about a 45 minute drive minimum. the cyclocross is just for commuting. Its fast and strong and can handle the urban jungle pretty well. The road bike on the other hand, I can just hop on, ride for a while and get my adrenaline fix and be back home without anyone really knowing I was gone. They really are a good way to stay in shape.

Still doesnt beat bombing down a nice trail.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider
    My friend, you cannot ride a lot of trails in Colorado in the winter without damaging them due to the higher altitude. Yes, Green Mountain, Matthew Winters may be ridable at times but they are packed as hell given everything else is unridable. Unfortunately, Colorado has riding seasons unlike your lower altitude Washington. Appreciate what you have.
    Seems unlikely that there are only 2 trail systems rideable in wintertime Colorado.

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Those were kinda funny and remind me of a lot of the roadies around here. I just became the owner of a cyclocross bike a few months ago and am sad to say It's been getting much more use then my fat tire rig with all the rain lately. I love pulling up to the serious roadies in downtown and seeing the sheer hate they have for me in my baggies and spd's. It cracks me up every time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I went to a roadie training race and they didn't let me participate cause i had flat bars on my road bike.

Way to reinforce the roadie stereotype

habitual line-stepper
    i feel like i should be drinking a rockstar while reading this to fully appreciate the all-mountain-ness of this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    I'm so on the fence on the road bike thing.As a 40 something yr. old I was a roadie before mountain biking was mountain biking. And theses days I have a 2nd set of light weight rims with slicks on them for my HT.I use it for the days I don't have the time to or can't go to the trails and my winter trainer.It really is a great way to keep your pump and build that kick ass hill crushing endurance.But my all time favorite think to do is chase down and drop all the rich as hell wannabe road guys on hills....It makes be smile almost as much as a perfect wheelie drop, drop in on the trails. Almost.

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly
    I'm so on the fence on the road bike thing.As a 40 something yr. old I was a roadie before mountain biking was mountain biking. And theses days I have a 2nd set of light weight rims with slicks on them for my HT.I use it for the days I don't have the time to or can't go to the trails and my winter trainer.It really is a great way to keep your pump and build that kick ass hill crushing endurance.But my all time favorite think to do is chase down and drop all the rich as hell wannabe road guys on hills....It makes be smile almost as much as a perfect wheelie drop, drop in on the trails. Almost.
    ^^^ I'll second that! It's a good feeling dropping a dude wearing full spandex on a 17 pound road bike. I did it last week riding to store and could hear him cursing away behind me, it's the little things like this in life that make me happy

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I just put a set of "maxxis hookworms" on my 'all mountain hard tail' and ride.....the streets! riding a roadie bike is only similar to mountain biking, because you have to pedal. with the all mountain bike, you use your body to ride, and if you do some "street" ride then you also improve your skills, can't do that in a roadie....just do a 'drop' of a curve and brake the bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Bikes of all kinds just plain rule.

I'll be riding some road tommorow. The usual group ride is around 80 miles or so - which really helps build yer stamina.

First time out this year I took my flat-bar equipped Salsa Vaya - as it was fairly wet and the Vaya "does" fenders. I found pretty quickly how wide flat bars are compared to road bars and made contact with other riders. No more 8" wider-than-road bike bars for me. At least not while riding amongst a group.

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatcm
    I went to a roadie training race and they didn't let me participate cause i had flat bars on my road bike.

Way to reinforce the roadie stereotype

Sounds like a bunch of dicks to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RBowles
    Sounds like a bunch of dicks to me.

Nah.. I don't think so - could be but.. In my experience with the flat bars they were just too wide for riding that close at speed with crosswinds etc. No one in the group really cared or even commented when I made contact.

The one thing about roadies I will say - the riding mentality is a bit different. When you're out riding a mountain bike - it's mostly everyone for themselves. Sure, everyone gets along and has a good time - but with road biking - the stakes are higher if you eff up within the group. It takes some decent coordination and trust to get it right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I just put a set of "maxxis hookworms" on my 'all mountain hard tail' and ride.....the streets! riding a roadie bike is only similar to mountain biking, because you have to pedal. with the all mountain bike, you use your body to ride, and if you do some "street" ride then you also improve your skills, can't do that in a roadie....just do a 'drop' of a curve and brake the bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by missoularider
    ^^^ I'll second that! It's a good feeling dropping a dude wearing full spandex on a 17 pound road bike. I did it last week riding to store and could hear him cursing away behind me, it's the little things like this in life that make me happy
    Most road riders, especially those that race regularly have a well laid out and focused training plan that incorporates many different types of riding at different levels of effort. I too used to feel like a hero when I'd chase down and overtake a spandex clad roadie, then I actually got into road riding and learned that I was unfortunately not a budding Mark Cavendish. There is a chance that he may have been cursing at you for messing with his training ride, not saying that is the case but it could be.

I actually went as far as entering a couple of Criteriums last year as a Cat 5(beginner) and man I now have a lot of respect for road riders. It has also made me a much stronger rider in the dirt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Seems unlikely that there are only 2 trail systems rideable in wintertime Colorado.
    Those two aren't ridable all winter, but you would be correct in that there are other trails that are ridable from time to time. The trails north of Boulder seem to be good more often than others in the winter. That said, they aren't that close at all and I cannot be driving two hours each way when I want to ride. It is also not consistent, hence I ride the road bike inbetween.

Seems "unlikely" you would have an educated opinion on the matter unless you lived in my area. If you tell me you live in my area, then your opinion still won't matter!

Please let me know if you would like my opinion on Washington that I have only been to once.

MattSavage
    Really Unfunny....
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    meh....I like to ride road bikes
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

up n over
    Nov 2010
    push the pedals
    "my cat's breath smells like catfood."
    -ralph wiggum

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Why can't mountain bikers get along with roadies and vice versa? It all boils down to the same thing- having fun on bikes. Get over yourselves...

mtbr member
    I usually crush the other people I see along my commute. Nothing is as satisfying as telling some middle aged women on a hybrid to eat my dust as a mash 46-18 down in her face! Boosh! Can't nobody touch me!

Almost as good as those times I do stoppies with my schwinn right past bros on supa bikes and they are just like "what duh frack!"...with two full panniers.

mtbr member
    I have to say, there is nothing more exciting than descending a fast twsity road on a road bike. I have scared myself way more on the road than I ever have on the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    roadie for life! you lard asses that trailer your mountain bike for 15 miles just to do a 3 mile trail arnt worthy of be called cyclist.

canuck
    im confused

I race cat 1 DH cat 1 XC and cat 3 CX and ride the **** out of my fixy road bike in the winter and have more miles than I want to know on my synapse.

and I wear pink socks. so I guess your telling my I suck at life?

yup all for nothing....

see you on the trail bro.

canuck
    oh yeah here's my pink

roadies dislike me...

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGravey
    roadie for life! you lard asses that trailer your mountain bike for 15 miles just to do a 3 mile trail arnt worthy of be called cyclist.

There is quite a bit of win in this post.

Members who have read this thread: 0