lightest alloy and carbon framed 140-150mm travel FS bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

lightest alloy and carbon framed 140-150mm travel FS bikes?

curious about frame weights and also full build weights.

Infidel
    I just purchased a small 2015 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon frame to build. It tips the scales at the claimed weight of 5.3lbs.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”

> /dev/null 2&>1
    New or used?

If you're ok with used, I'd say Yeti ASR5C, 140mm / 4.75 lbs. Very light 26er single pivot. Full builds 24lbs XC / 26-27 lbs light all mountain. Mine is at 25.9 lbs with Haven Carbon rims and all mountain tires.

New, look at Tallboy LT, 135mm, VPP 29er. Bikemag says 5.2 lbs.

But, neither of those are proper all mountain bikes and may not stand up to the abuse.
    Last edited by Procter; 09-15-2014 at 03:55 PM.

I'm with stupid
    Cannondale RZ 140's carbon with lefty action came at 24.5lb from the factory. Mine with dropper post and fox 150 fork came in at 26.5 with AM tires and 2x10 drivetrain. Size large

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    New or used?

If you're ok with used, I'd say Yeti ASR5C, 140mm / 4.75 lbs. Very light 26er single pivot. Full builds 24lbs XC / 26-27 lbs light all mountain. Mine is at 25.9 lbs with Haven Carbon rims and all mountain tires.

New, look at Tallboy LT, 135mm, VPP 29er. Bikemag says 5.2 lbs.

But, neither of those are proper all mountain bikes and may not stand up to the abuse.

demo'd a yeti asr5 carbon in park city and loved it. super light, a little harsh on the descents. more of a xc feel. man, I miss short chainstay super light flickable 26'ers. they will eventually make a comeback.

current trance 1 is 29 lbs even and 30.1 with dmr vault pedals. fairly light, even compared to some carbon bikes. will eventually get an advanced trance frame and swap all the components over.

hmmm, may have to search the classifieds for a 26'er...

bike rider
    Isn't the ASR5c 130mm (feels like 120)? The Ibis Mojo SL and SL-R are 5lb and 140mm. Awesome bikes if 26" is okay with you. For 4 years I've raced XC and done big alpine rides on a SL that has a very capable component mix including 6" dropper post and 27.5" front wheel and weighs 25lb. I'm considering replacing it next year with a Santa Cruz 5010 or Bronson but might not cuz it's still winning races and not letting me down.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Isn't the ASR5c 130mm (feels like 120)? The Ibis Mojo SL and SL-R are 5lb and 140mm. Awesome bikes if 26" is okay with you. For 4 years I've raced XC and done big alpine rides on a SL that has a very capable component mix including 6" dropper post and 27.5" front wheel and weighs 25lb. I'm considering replacing it next year with a Santa Cruz 5010 or Bronson but might not cuz it's still winning races and not letting me down.
    did they fix the issue with the lopes link hitting the frame? wanted one of those for the lightweight and dw link. killer bikes. wonder what ibis has in store next...

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: lightest alloy and carbon framed 140-150mm travel FS bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Isn't the ASR5c 130mm (feels like 120)? The Ibis Mojo SL and SL-R are 5lb and 140mm. Awesome bikes if 26" is okay with you.
    Ahh, you're right. My fork is 140mm. Rear is 127mm.

Great call on the mojo.

bike rider
    My links don't hit the frame. It's a 2008 model. Just rebuilt the bearings for the first time. I think it's pretty easy to find cheap second hand Mojos, SLs, and SL-Rs these days (re: the death of 26"). I'm pretty picky about bike gear and have access to almost anything for free or cheap. I'm still riding this frame cuz I think it's the best tool for the job if the job is covering ground at pro XC pace but wanting to enjoy the descents and tech. Only very recently have I been tempted with the 5010 or maybe the Bronson (kinda big).
    Keep the Country country.

Formerly of Kent

lightest alloy and carbon framed 140-150mm travel FS bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Masseytruth View Post
    Carbon fibre is best suited to bike types that put low weight at a premium, such as road racing bikes and cross-country mountain bikes. Low weight means quicker acceleration, better climbing, and slightly better manoeuvrability.
    So I can suggest you Planet X have been winning praise for their £1000 carbon frame road bike for a while now and each year they keep making small improvements. Through careful selection of components, such as the SRAM groupset, you’ll get lightweight and excellent performance at the price. All the best!
    What the hell are you talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Carbon fibre is best suited to bike types that put low weight at a premium, such as road racing bikes and cross-country mountain bikes. Low weight means quicker acceleration, better climbing, and slightly better manoeuvrability.
    So I can suggest you Planet X have been winning praise for their £1000 carbon frame road bike for a while now and each year they keep making small improvements. Through careful selection of components, such as the SRAM groupset, you’ll get lightweight and excellent performance at the price. All the best!
    That may have been the case originally, but now all mountain carbon frames are built for ride quality (they can be made with almost zero flex) rather than to save weight. The Pivot 5.7c is not all that much lighter than the non carbon version but is a completely different and superior ride.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: lightest alloy and carbon framed 140-150mm travel FS bikes?

Massey, are you posting from 2002? What is it like? Who's on the radio?

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Massey, are you posting from 2002? What is it like? Who's on the radio?
    from planet x

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Cube Stereo 140 C68 SLT 27.5 zeroblack 2015

10,9 kg = 24,0303866 LBS......

Seems pretty light to me.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    your post is out of context, are you a robot?