Light 6-6.5 frame with coil- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Light 6-6.5 frame with coil

hello. Im trying to build a light 6 to 6.5 bike with a coil shock, I dont want carbon and Im not fan of VPP, maestro and dw. What are my choices?

Bernardo

mtbr member
    I'm going to assume that you want to avoid carbon because of the price tag. Because it is the way to go if you want a long travel lightweight frame.

Something like a basic Heckler nearly meets your specs but isn't available stock with a coil. 6.7 lbs for a 150mm bullitproof frame isn't bad. Transition's Covert comes in 1 lb heavier.

You've eliminated most things on the market with your specifications. Most 6ish inch bikes will come with an air shock, most lighter bikes will be carbon, no VPP/DW/Maestro wipes out a good chunk of what's left.

What frames have you looked at?

edit: I guess Ellsworth has some stuff in your specs... but you're basically going to be paying a carbon level price for an aluminum frame. I've never had an Ellsworth... they have some pretty mixed reviews on these boards.

Life Is Short
    There's no frame thats lightweight, non VPP, Maestro that has 6.5" of rear travel and coil over shock.

Even a Specialized Horst Link 5.5" travel has an air shock. But if you find a regular weight 6-6.5 travel frame you can always sell the air shock and buy a Fox Coil over.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    But if you find a regular weight 6-6.5 travel frame you can always sell the air shock and buy a Fox Coil over.
    ^ This.
    Look into the Titus El Guapo. The Monarch RT3 seems to be good and it can be Pushed.
    Also the shock link has a coil over hole for later. iscg5 tabs, tapered headtube, and FSR HL susp.
    For the $999 they want for the frame you could buy a really good coil shock with ti spring.
    Last edited by blcman; 03-26-2012 at 09:25 AM.

The Punk Hucker
    Nicolai Helius AM???

Far from cheap but highly versatile. Not super light but I would call it decent weight for what you get.
    Beware the hucking bear!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    Nicolai Helius AM???

Far from cheap but highly versatile.
    It is about as expensive as some other frames in this class. Shipped without shock is about $2200. Just ordered.

But I think I will run either Monarch plus or XFusion vector air HLR. But I have heard it is perfect with coil.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    .... But I think I will run either Monarch plus or XFusion vector air HLR. But I have heard it is perfect with coil.
    Pick some nice air shock for Helius AM - one with normal size air can and easy tuning options. Especially when using those upper holes in rear rocker in shock mount, it`s really hard to get any coil tuned well to compensate lazyness of falling leverage rate.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx View Post
    Pick some nice air shock for Helius AM - one with normal size air can and easy tuning options.
    Looks like in 216x63mm (8.5x2.5") size on the last iteration most stock shocks are available with a larger can. I am on a heavier side (190lb + gear) so it is not too bad. Will see.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Air can volume does not have direct relation to riders weight. With larger can when you`ll adjust air pressure to get nice working middle stroke, you`ll notice that shock bottoms too easily. Therefore it`s needed to reduce air can volume to get shock ramping up. With over-size can you`ll need more adjuster rings

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx View Post
    Air can volume does not have direct relation to riders weight.
    Of course it does not, but it is easier to tune a larger can. Bottom out adjustment sure helps as well.

I do not see people complaining much about Helius with coil shocks, and I did like bikes with a similar leverage curve, so I will see. Can not comment further until I try myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    ^ This.
    Look into the Titus El Guapo. The Monarch RT3 seems to be good and it can be Pushed.
    Also the shock link has a coil over hole for later. iscg5 tabs, tapered headtube, and FSR HL susp.
    For the $999 they want for the frame you could buy a really good coil shock with ti spring.
    This. HL bikes work great with coils. The frame is 6.8 lbs with an air shock and maybe 7-7.25 with a coil shock. Should be fantastic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Orange Alpine 160.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Covert is a good option
    I can recommend it as really great bike.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Liteville? It may be your best option for a lightweight, long travel frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    YETI SB66 Medium with CCDB Ti , full XTR 1x10 setup RS Lyrik 170 DH solo air Flow/hope evo/sapim , Reverb post . WTB saddle Easton Haven cockpit Conti X kings 2.4 (tubeless setup)

i've build up to ard 29.7 lb or 13.5 kg

Members who have read this thread: 0