Kona Process 153 DL 29 vs Transition Sentinel Alloy NX- Mtbr.com

Poll: Kona Process 153 DL 29 or Transition Sentinel Alloy NX

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

DFL

Kona Process 153 DL 29 vs Transition Sentinel Alloy NX

I'm up in the air between these two right now. The reviews I've watched and read have them pretty much evenly matched. The biggest draw for me is their lower lever ratio because I am what you would call a Clyde at about 275 lbs. There is a Kona demo day I'm going to in a couple of weeks, but nothing from Transition. My last bike was a V2 Bronson, but I have been off the bike for about a year.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Considering your weight and that Kona's are typically overbuilt, that's what I'd recommend.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Wanna ride bikes?
    Process!

(even though you haven't really given many details about your local terrain or riding style or preferences)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

DFL
    I guess that would have been important. I mainly ride central NC. Moderately rocky and rooty. I like to go fast and hit jumps. When I was riding I was taking 5-6 trips a year out to Pisgah and Dupont as well as at least one park day a year. I also help coach a NICA team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    I guess that would have been important. I mainly ride central NC. Moderately rocky and rooty. I like to go fast and hit jumps. When I was riding I was taking 5-6 trips a year out to Pisgah and Dupont as well as at least one park day a year. I also help coach a NICA team.
    Kona Process 134 29er? Doesn't seem like you need a full on enduro bike based on that admittedly brief description. The 134 will pedal better, has much better tire clearance than the 153, and it's still plenty burly. KONA BIKES | MTB | PROCESS | Process 134 DL 29

I just built one of these up and it's a blast!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    EDIT: Took me too long to compose/post. Looks like you're in NC. A Process 134 or Transition Smuggler would be more what I'd be interested in if I were you, personally. But the Process 153 isn't a bad choice either, as I'd wager its a bit more nimble than the Sentinel (most of the geo/measurements are near identical to the 134, just more travel/cush).

Which bike you end up going with, will likely depend on your riding style, location, and height.

The biggest difference between the two, is really the HTA on the Transition is far slacker (64 vs 66), the chainstays are longer (435mm vs 425mm), and the wheelbase is longer (1247mm vs 1218mm).

I own a Process AL 29'er. I like the bike, and I got a great deal on it. As others mentioned, it is overbuilt, and likely a good choice for a heavier rider. I'm 6'1", and ~200-210lbs or so (in riding gear), and the large fits me fairly well. If I were to do it again, I may have gone with the XL, as I've got 2-3in of seatpost extending over the collar/seatpost clamp. The actual STA for the process is quite slack, so an XL would likely give me a steeper effective STA.

The short chainstays on the process are important to point out. They make the bike easy to manual/wheelie/drift, but in larger sizes (as all sizes have the same CS length), you REALLY have to get over the front of the bike to keep the front weighted, and it doesn't feel as planted in corners/at high speed.

All that said... I demo'd a couple bikes at the Duthie Bike fair in the springtime. The Transition Smuggler was the only Transition I had time to demo, but it was the most fun I've had on a bike. I timed myself down a trail there I've done 50-100 times (voodoo child, a blue flow/freeride trail), and I was also the fastest on it (both time, and top speed), both compared to the other bikes I rented that day, but also my personal Process 153.

I don't think you can go wrong with either honestly, as both are good bikes, made by good companies.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Just noticed this was posted in the All Mountain category. Curious to hear your (OP) thoughts on a slightly shorter travel trail bike?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'd choose the Kona for its slower speed maneuverability. But if you're tall those short chain stays might make it twitchy. I run a 140mm bike in Pisgah and its perfect. Its overkill for Dupont.