Kona process 134 vs cannondale habit 2020- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Kona process 134 vs cannondale habit 2020

Hi

I hesitate between both. They seem to be about the same specs....

I can see many infos on kona but less on habit...

What is your advices?

Thanks a lot.

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Id shoot for the Kona. Still a relevant brand. Cannondale has lost it's mojo steadily since the 90's.

I've always had a thing for Kona's though. Ever since my 1st bike in the 90's I've loved em. Might not be quite as polished as some higher end bikes but always an absolute blast!

I've been riding a '15 process 153 for the last few years & it's been such a fun bike to ride I just purchased a used 153 CR 29. Pedals incredibly well compared to the older design, 1st real ride is tomorrow I'm sure it's going to be great.

If you're looking for a durable super fun bike I'm sure the Kona will tick all your boxes.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    1st real ride is tomorrow I'm sure it's going to be great.

If you're looking for a durable super fun bike I'm sure the Kona will tick all your boxes.
    Ok
    Let me know after your ride ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    No experience with the Cannondale.

I own a 2018 Kona Process 153. From what I can tell, the new Process 134 is basically the same thing, with less travel. The bikes share the same HTA and reach measurements (I only checked my size though, so it may vary more on other sizes) similar STA's (iirc), but the 134 has slightly longer chainstays.

I have also demo'd a Transition Smuggler, which is actually also very similar in geo to the process 134 (same head tube angle, similar reach, similar chainstay length, etc), but with 140mm/120mm travel.

The Kona I have is a great bike. It pedals well enough I don't really think about it when I'm riding. Its nice and fun. I do wish the chainstays were a bit longer though, for some extra downhill stability, and room for a bigger rear tire.

The smuggler I rode was fantastic. It was the most fun I've ever had on a bike. I was riding faster, nailing turns better, and all around having a good time.

If the Process 134 is anything like either of those bikes, or even some combination of the two, I'd wager its going to be great. So I'd go with that.

Good luck making a decision .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ride went great. Insane amount of traction compared to my older '15 153. Climbs excellent descends better. Still need to fine tune the bar width and shock pressure but no complaints. I went with a medium at 5'10 I could have easily gone with a large as well. I didn't want to lose agility just for sale of high speed stability. It's pretty darn agile, no complaints there. I'll get the bars cut to 760-770 and it should be perfect. 800's made it feel like a wheelbarrow, should have cut em down from the get go. Going to be a fun bike for sure, wish it was sunny and 70 instead of muddy & 45 though. As all I want to do is ride this thing.

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ pics or it didn't happen
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    What i see is that the habit is really well equipped vs the kona , the habit 2 vs the Kona carbon on fox ....

mtbr member
    Looking at pix the Habit has a totally different susp design from the Kona. Not saying one is any better than the other but there's got to be differences for sure. I've been on a 2018 153 Process for over 2,500 miles (XL, alu frame, 27.5 wheels) and it's been the most fun bike I've ever had in 30 years of riding New England singletrack.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

Wanna ride bikes?
    Which brings up the next question... What's more important, frame geometry or components.

For me the frame is the foundation, it has to be right and it can't really be changed. All the other parts just bolt on to it and can easily be swapped or changed.

Geometry is the #1 thing I look at when considering a bike.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Which brings up the next question... What's more important, frame geometry or components.

For me the frame is the foundation, it has to be right and it can't really be changed. All the other parts just bolt on to it and can easily be swapped or changed.

Geometry is the #1 thing I look at when considering a bike.
    Yep. But I can't try the habit or the kona..
    Unfortunately...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have a buddy that works for a cannondale shop. Got a brand new habit when they were launched, and has had a ton of problems with the rear linkage. His certainly could be a lemon, and I'm not saying that anything is wrong with the company. They have been working well with him through his warranty claims. His struggles have influenced my opinion though.

Kona's have a good rep for being well made and built for abuse. I'd go with the 134 personally.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I have a buddy that works for a cannondale shop. Got a brand new habit when they were launched, and has had a ton of problems with the rear linkage. His certainly could be a lemon, and I'm not saying that anything is wrong with the company. They have been working well with him through his warranty claims. His struggles have influenced my opinion though.

Kona's have a good rep for being well made and built for abuse. I'd go with the 134 personally.
    Thanks for your advice ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I have a 2015 Kona Process 153 and it's a lot of fun and Kona's are built to last.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    ?

It's not a kona?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjanoir78 View Post
    ?

It's not a kona?
    Lol, no. With his YT hat, and his YT bike, he was suggesting you look at a YT.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjanoir78 View Post
    ?

It's not a kona?
    Lol, that’s not the response I expected. The YT Jeffsy is likely the standard by which the new Habit was designed as you may see the Habit appears as a clone. Aside from being a great bike, the Jeffsy is a tremendous value. The 2020’s will be available online in January.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Lol, that’s not the response I expected. The YT Jeffsy is likely the standard by which the new Habit was designed as you may see the Habit appears as a clone. Aside from being a great bike, the Jeffsy is a tremendous value. The 2020’s will be available online in January.
    Yes the design is pretty similar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I've read some reviews on both.. on some the habit has better reviews

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Are you kidding me? The Kona Process!!!! What is the confusion here?