Knox cross elbow-wrist guards- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Knox cross elbow-wrist guards

Any opinions out there on the Knox cross elbow-wrist guards versus whatever else you use/like? Knox seems to have one U.S. distributor in Michigan but I'm open on other options.

Incidentally,I'm not trying to Darth Vader it up out there on the more technical AM trails but the elbows, and forearms in particular, (and nowhere else) seem to be taking the hits lately for some reason. Other than a ff down the line, this should be all I need.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I replied to the post of yours that I missed earlier, and added a photo. I prefer the Dainese 3x which has better back of elbow protection. The Knox looks similar to the Fox Titan Pro elbows, and I didn't like those. Too short in the forearm and back of elbow has a "chink" in it's protection, namely the gap between the back of elbow and lower where the padding folds. Looks like the back of elbow is a little thinner in plastic as well. The Dainese is thicker and foes to just about the wrist bone.

Last edited by bcdale; 08-20-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    MTBR review on the Hope skewers
    Quote Originally Posted by Get A Clue
    Weaknesses: Doesn't work when used incorrectly

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I found a video review of the Knox ones, and noticed that it in fact does not have back of elbow protection. From the pics online it appeared that it did. I'll note from the review also that the Dainese come in M and L. Both are the same length, only the strap length is different (test fit both). The straps for the M are even too big for me and I will either cut them or use a tension mechanism. The Dainese is level 1 CE just like the Knox.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks, bcdale - that was extremely helpful (especially M v. L strap sizing thing - I think we're about the same height so that's good to know). Hardly anyone mtbs where I live and the few who do don't tend to armor up much other than a few kneepads - no one to ask.

The Dianese looks relatively comfortable so I'm sold. Do you have pricing and distributor contact info again if you didn't post in the other thread?

Educate me some more on body armor - what's level 1 CE vs. other levels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    Educate me some more on body armor - what's level 1 CE vs. other levels?
    Slightly edited.

What the consumer needs to know is that there are several different CE certification standards. There is the EN1621-1 standard that applies to shoulder, elbow, and knee protection. EN1621-1 - The average peak force recorded must be less than 18 kN of force through the product, and no single value shall exceed 24 kN from an initial impact force of 50kN.

Back protectors fall under EN1621-2, and have level 1 and 2 ratings. Level 2 basically allows half the force to be transmitted - 9kN.

You can find the info here about the anvil they use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcy...ertified_armor

I'm not sure what the values are on the trasmitted energy for the elbow guards but I'm sure they would have it in some documents on their website.

I ordered mine through Hucknroll.com for $70 I think, but looking there now it's $83. You can search google for Dainese elbow V and find cheaper prices. Don't know the reasoning behind having 2 different names for them other than they come in different colors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks, bcdale!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Forgot to add there's also level 3, which is half of level 2 again. I found it's used in horse riding chest protectors. And from what I read, 4kN is the breaking point for ribs, so those level 1 chest protectors are apparently not up to snuff. If I were really paranoid, which I could be, I'd use the horse gear under a hard shell chest piece. I don't think this standard has made it to motorcycle armor yet and certainly not MTB.
    Last edited by bcdale; 08-21-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0