Knee Protection- Mtbr.com

Thread: Knee Protection

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Knee Protection

Does anyone here use the new RaceFace Dig Knee pads? What pads would be good in general for a trail rider who has crashed more than he is comfortable with, and although he recognizes the need to reign it in a bit at 47, still wants to get better at this cool new (to him) sport?

I'm not too worried about shin protection as ride clipped in, but I've dinged my knees a couple of times without any permanent worries, but I don't want the next time to be the bad time.

I currently own some spesh knee/shin guards, but they give me major chafing around the velcro, plus they're hot.

David B.

mtbr member
    I use the Kyle Strait 661, though I really only use them on certain rides (rides with drops, small jumps, or lots of technical rock). They are comfortable and I've no complaints.

The Race Face Digs look very much like the Kyle Strait 661, only lower profile. They still have side knee protection, velcro straps on top and bottom, and contain hard shell over knee. I really like the looks of these pads as they seem to have everything necessary, but remain low in profile and not bulky. If I'd seen the Dig's first I would have probably gone with them instead of the 661.

Here are some reviews from CRC if that helps. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/R...?ModelID=39496

mtbr member
    I like the 661 Kyle Straits as well. I also have 661 Veggies. Between the 2, the Straits feel better. The Straits are also longer than the veggie. I haven't tried the RF Digs, but it was between the Straits and Digs when I bought my Straits. They look very similar, but the color of the Digs just didn't appeal to my taste. Side note-Price Point has Straits for 39.95. Bike Bling has Digs for 45.99, but type in " realdeal" for coupon code for 10% off.

mtbr member

Good job! Dainese 3X

If you want a very comfortable and light guard that gives both knee and shin protection, and is comfortable to be worn all the time, this is an excellent choice.

Even my girlfriend who is more picky about comfort than me, wears hers all the time with no problems. Here is a link to a post I did before with pictures.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=pics+of+knee

I'm with stupid
    i rock the 611 kyle straights, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9590 they are nice i like them. A little tight on the back of my leg when i was first using them guess i was not used to them. They have taken some pretty good knocks from a little spill to a full on big drop on rocks crash and there still there just a little torn up but having the impact plastic in there is the only way to go.

mtbr member
    has anyone tried the 661 evo knee guards? If so, how do they work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I tried on the evos in the store, but I haven't used them on the trail. To me the kyle straits were more comfortable, and I like the idea of a hard shell, so I went with them The evos seemed a little stiff to me.

Unshaven Yak

Straights

I just picked up some 661 Straights a few weeks ago when I finally tired of lofting my old Roaches up the mountain. No serious crash testing yet but comfort level is high. I just got off a two day Cannell trip and they passed the test; I was glad to have them when things got fast and technical and the rest of the time they were unnoticed. Stows easy too.

Was considering EVO's but price and a story from the mechanic about having another employee whack him in the knee with a pedal-wrench swayed me over to the side of proven plastic protection.
    If you can, get one. You can bild it up to be a kinda lite trail slaying,dirt surfin, 40 mile ride single track super mama. this bike is the cutting edge of the sport. "spred the groove".

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I can only testify for Kyle Straits, but they are very good. Quite tolerable in the summer, though they do get soaked in sweat by the end of the day. They also stick snug and tight - never experienced problems with them sliding off my knees.
    You should try them on before buying them, just so you can see what size you need. I always thought i had big biceps and wear size L, but for the pads the size that fit me best was M.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini6
    has anyone tried the 661 evo knee guards? If so, how do they work?
    Well. I have a pair. They're not as protective as, say, something with a hard shell, but get the job done, and are a lot more comfortable/ afford a better range of motion. I'm happy.

mtbr member
    the 661 Veggies are great for AM riding and crazier XC riding as well!

mtbr member
    I'm like you - except older by 12. I ride XC, but am tired of smacking my kneecaps on rocks, trees, handlebars, skullbones, etc. So I've been riding with Core Rat pads - light, two strap affairs with a hard shell in front. For me the hard shell is key. I've been looking for a new pair but Angiewear seems to have gone out of biz or scaled down her line. Lizardskins makes a Softcell Hard Cap kneepad that looks good.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    RF Digs are very similar to the Straits..either one will be good. Lightweight, get the Evos.
    Dont need shins if you have clips IMO
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

Is this thing on?

Try the Fox Launch Pro

I too ran the Straights for a long time and really enjoyed except for the small pad between the knee and thigh would get crooked and they were a little too warm on certain occasions. Fox just came out with some that are super similar, but have a cut out in the back and have a small amount of silicon to help them stay securely in place. I've been running these for about a month and love them.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Auto...=29029001F.jpg

Pee's in the H8teraid

Knee Protection

http://www.kaliprotectives.com/bike/#/product/
    I just bought the Kali AAZIS
    I wore them all day riding today and for the most part forgot I had them on..Really comfortable..
    They did not move from when I put them on til when I took them off..Climbing, descending , jumping..Didn't budge..I hate pads for the most part but these surprised me..I like 'em..
    The price of the EVO's kept me far away...The knee cups on the Straights are too shallow for my knobbies and the Launch pros seemed bulky. Comfy but bulky...

Members who have read this thread: 0